• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Has anyone played Prey?

Started by henge0stone, January 30, 2015, 04:16:55 PM

henge0stone

The first time I heard Art Bell was when my brother played this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh9IF6JdW3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPU61tzxH4o

The game starts where your a native American who gets abducted with his family in a bar and you hear Art Bell throughout the game.

Anyone play this game? Or have a collection of the audio clips, I would LOVE to add them to the archive.

littlechris

Quote from: henge0stone on January 30, 2015, 04:16:55 PM

The game starts where your a native American who gets abducted with his family in a bar and you hear Art Bell throughout the game.

Anyone play this game? Or have a collection of the audio clips, I would LOVE to add them to the archive.

lol, That's great!! Now if they can only work in Art's voice/likeness into SKYRIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: henge0stone on January 30, 2015, 04:16:55 PM

Art also makes a semi-appearance in the HORRIBLE movie 'WHO KILLED ME.'

I hadn't heard Art in years before I played Prey. I called my friends freaking out that he was in the game. None of them cared. I thought it made the game. Sure you heard this before, but here's Gordon Freeman from Half Life giving Noory the business:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMATUkJMAxo

henge0stone

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on March 06, 2015, 12:07:37 AM
I hadn't heard Art in years before I played Prey. I called my friends freaking out that he was in the game. None of them cared. I thought it made the game. Sure you heard this before, but here's Gordon Freeman from Half Life giving Noory the business:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMATUkJMAxo

haha I haven't heard that one. I never played Half-Life but I some stuff about it. Its amazing how little Noory questions people. Art would have asked to more detail about the guy and probably slipped in a joke and made the call entertaining, Noory just sits there.

If it hadn't been for Prey I might never have known about Art Bell, thank god he was in it. Defiantly fit the game, I wonder if Art ever mentioned it anywhere .

Under his imdb page it says he's going to be in the movie Hostage to the Devil Malachi Martin's book. Probably just going to play stuff from his interviews with him but its going to be awesome!

soulburner

I first heard Art Bell in this game, I think it was a great idea to include those snippets there. It was so awesome to hear during gameplay that I started downloading the show from torrents... only to discover it was hosted by some weird guy named Dave... Fortunately, I found Art (and this place!) not long after.

The Gordon Freeman phonecall to Noory was hilarious :D

indigoo

I've played it. There were plans for a sequel that looked utterly fantastic, but the last time it was heard from was it being cancelled in 2012 or so. May or may not have been picked up since then.

Great game. Always awesome replaying and hearing Art.

analog kid

I ripped all of the Art Bell audio files from the game resources a while ago. They're linked below.

https://app.box.com/s/umxgmsc2gzzka6evdw04

soulburner

Quote from: indigoo on March 19, 2015, 03:53:02 PM
I've played it. There were plans for a sequel that looked utterly fantastic, but the last time it was heard from was it being cancelled in 2012 or so. May or may not have been picked up since then.

Great game. Always awesome replaying and hearing Art.
Unfortunately, it has been canceled. The developers of the first game, Human Head, were working on the cool looking sequel. The story is their game was about 80% ready when their publisher suddenly decided to fire them. Someone from Bethesda said the game is not canceled but another studio (rumors say Obsidian Entertainment worked on it for some time, then Arkane) is working on Prey 2 and all that was done so far has been scrapped. Ultimately, last year, it was announced it was totally canceled.

The rumor is Human Head Studios refused to be bought by Zenimax/Bethesda and that's why the first version of Prey 2 was cancelled. It's unclear why further attempts at making the game failed, but I guess we all know how big corporations work. Lead by accountants, not fans of whatever it is they're doing.

henge0stone

Quote from: analog kid on March 19, 2015, 04:36:48 PM
I ripped all of the Art Bell audio files from the game resources a while ago. They're linked below.

https://app.box.com/s/umxgmsc2gzzka6evdw04

Thanks! I added it to my collection

indigoo

Quote from: soulburner on March 20, 2015, 04:18:23 PM
Unfortunately, it has been canceled. The developers of the first game, Human Head, were working on the cool looking sequel. The story is their game was about 80% ready when their publisher suddenly decided to fire them. Someone from Bethesda said the game is not canceled but another studio (rumors say Obsidian Entertainment worked on it for some time, then Arkane) is working on Prey 2 and all that was done so far has been scrapped. Ultimately, last year, it was announced it was totally canceled.

The rumor is Human Head Studios refused to be bought by Zenimax/Bethesda and that's why the first version of Prey 2 was cancelled. It's unclear why further attempts at making the game failed, but I guess we all know how big corporations work. Lead by accountants, not fans of whatever it is they're doing.

Yup, rings a bell now. Couldn't remember if it was finally cancelled for good. All the footage looked really good. Gameplay sounded interesting, like Blade Runner, or something.

henge0stone

It was such a good idea to integrate Art's show into the game as a storytelling element to let the player know whats going on back on earth.

Your thread intrigued me. Picked up a copy for 360 the other day. Should get to it soon.

Echo

Art voice being in Prey made the game that much better imo.  When i first played it i was like wait a minute i know that voice.

indigoo

Since we have a few gamers on here, I have some tips. Listen to old Art shows during the following games for a fantastic trip:

Euro Truck Simulator 2
GTA: San Andreas
GTAV

Quote from: indigoo on April 07, 2015, 05:08:59 PM
Since we have a few gamers on here, I have some tips. Listen to old Art shows during the following games for a fantastic trip:

Euro Truck Simulator 2
GTAV

GTA V came out the same night Dark Matter started so I was listening to Art a lot while playing it. Taking the submarine out for a long nighttime underwater cruise while listening was just the best.

someguy

Euro Truck Simulator 2
GTAV

holy shit I tohught I was the only person who listened to art bell while playing euro truck sim 2

Quote from: someguy on April 08, 2015, 11:44:14 AM
holy shit I tohught I was the only person who listened to art bell while playing euro truck sim 2
I freaking love that you guys listen to Art while playing Euro Truck 2. That really adds to the immersion. I always have U7 or the Ghost to Ghost running while I play games late into the night. Really adds something. Especially when I play 90's pc games. Duke Nukem and Art belong together lol.

The great thing about Prey besides Art, was the use of portals before Portal came out. Other than that, it is a solid 90s shooter released in the wrong decade. (Like Painkiller)

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on April 08, 2015, 12:01:11 PM
I freaking love that you guys listen to Art while playing Euro Truck 2. That really adds to the immersion. I always have U7 or the Ghost to Ghost running while I play games late into the night. Really adds something. Especially when I play 90's pc games. Duke Nukem and Art belong together lol.

The great thing about Prey besides Art, was the use of portals before Portal came out. Other than that, it is a solid 90s shooter released in the wrong decade. (Like Painkiller)

I'm having a blast with it so far. Lots of moments where I've stopped and just sat and laughed in awe. Very cerebral shooter, we don't really see games like this in the mainstream right now.

The twisting artificial gravity walkways in particular are a favorite.

Glad you are enjoying it! The sequel being most likely dead (though the engine and ideas maybe utilized later) is a good thing. Due to where it was set, I don't think Art's radio show would have been used. It could have still worked, but... I also wish it was going to happen with Art again, but it spared Art the chance of quitting a fake radio show. :D

Finished it last night, really enjoyed myself. Thanks for posting this, henge.

henge0stone

Euro Truck Simulator 2
GTAV

I would like to add Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. Fallout New Vegas especially since its in the desert not far from Area 51 and there's a spaceship. These are games where your wandering around a lot so art's shows work perfectly.

Jackstar

Prey was a very ambitious and immersive rail shooter. An underrated gem. Art was wise to participate, and should seek similar projects in the future.

indigoo

Quote from: someguy on April 08, 2015, 11:44:14 AM

Haha, same here. It is absolutely one of the best experiences I had in a game.

henge0stone

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on April 13, 2015, 12:59:47 PM
Finished it last night, really enjoyed myself. Thanks for posting this, henge.

No problem  8) , ironically I never beat or even played that much of prey. I watched my brother play it so much that I already know most the story.