• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Has anyone been able to play with oculus rift yet? Or Microsoft Hololens?

Started by Delphi, January 30, 2015, 10:01:30 AM

Delphi

Im wanting to get an oculus for my xbox but was just wondering if anyone here has hands on experience with it?  It looks amazing,  also just found out about. Microsofts new device.. Have a look
http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us

Wintermute

I have had a Rift / SDK for almost 22mo. Wrote a driver for Ridge Racer Driftopia. It's an interesting toy. I lost interest in it after I felt the effects of using it for an extended period of time.

Augmented Reality > Virtual Reality right now. VR simply has too many physical side-effects to be used a lot. And the level of ocular detail still isn't enough to supplant eyeballs-on-screen. It's immersive. It's fun. But it is limited by application and physical side-effects.

Delphi

So would you not suggest it yet?  Does it still need alot of kinks worked out?

Also just curious what language did you mess with the driver in?

Wintermute

A mix of C++ and C#. Nvidia video card part was C++. Game interface was C#. Had to mess with ATV a little to get rid of interlacing errors.

Kinks? Oh yea. Not a finished product at all and it always seems to be changing.

Would I suggest it? I guess not. It's not a "bad" piece of hardware. The concept, not the Rift, is the issue. If you've spent any time with VR whether it was in the 1990's or even today with a Rift, they all have had issues. You are interfacing your brain, through your eyes, to a virtual environment. People's brains aren't adapted to handle VR, in that method, very well. After 30mins of playtime, I will need 5-10min to regain my spatial senses. It's odd and it was the same way in 1993 when I first tried VR. My wife got sick from her first 15min Rift-Trip.

So I don't know. If you are a tinkerer then Rift it is pretty sweet. If you just want to PnP, probably not your thing... yet. Enough projects in VR are ramping up. I'd say 5yrs and VR will be common on console. 15yrs and VR brain-stims will at least be doable.

Delphi

Awesome thanks for the input man much appreciated,  ill probably let them work on it some more.

area51drone

M$'s hololens looks stupid, and the way they tout what it can do on their homepage, they are really stretching.   If google  couldn't make glass viable, I sure as hell don't think M$ can do it.    Oh, and I disagree, augmented reality sucks.   Who wants to look at a video game overlaid on their table in their living room?    Maybe some people do, but not me.    CastAR is even more of a joke in that you have to have a special screen to use it. 

IMO, head tracking similar to TrackIR combined with a great wide angle view headset that has its own tracking built in is what is really needed.   I have a Sony HMZ-T1 and I use it with TrackIR to flight sim.  It's an awesome experience, although the T1 could be a far better piece of equipment, IMO.    It gets uncomfortable within an hour or two and the experience of just getting it on your head is a total pain in the ass with their little rubber eye piece things.

I have not bit the bullet of any of the newer stuff yet.  I'm still waiting to see the reviews on the morpheus.   I haven't tried the Rift, but I see no reason why it or even the morpheus is special.   Once the major consoles have solidified their positions and their communications protocols, some chinese company is going to come out with a third party headset that will support all the PC, Xbox One and PS4 games combined. 

Anyone tried Google Cardboard?  ::)

Gd5150

Agreed. 3d has always been a lame gimmick to get people to waste their money. The image never looks as good as 2d. It didn't in the 50's, the 80's, the 2000s, and it wont when MSFT releases their loser helmet. Google glass has been a dismal failure. Its banned in most social settings in SF because people hate it. No one is going to run around in public or private looking like Daft Punk. Just more worthless Microsoft bs. The company is incapable of doing anything innovative.

[attachimg=1]

Delphi

Man idk... They are making some leaps.. but I do agree it's not quite there yet.. .  I would love to see it when it does

area51drone

OMG, Microsoft is actually pushing the hololens as a gaming device for the xbox one.  Are they fucking joking?  Do they not realize that gamers would much rather have an oculus or morpheus?  Morpheus looks like it's going to win the war by the way..   I thought M$ was just looking for this as a sort of research google glass sort of thing, but they're insane if they think the general public is going to shell out the bucks to put that piece of shit on their head.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20150305/us--games-game_developers_conference-microsoft-965237173b.html

This is an older (2014) article comparing the morpheus to the rift:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/e3-2014-virtual-reality-smackdown-project-morpheus-vs-oculus-rift-20140612

Addis0n

If you get one make sure you get the newer ones, the older ones did not have a high resolution at all.  It is really fun as long as you don't use it for too long.  The type of games you play will probably contribute to whether you like it or not.  Pretty cool for playing minecraft/arma/flight sims