• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Where are my fellow programmers?

Started by Delphi, December 29, 2014, 10:32:54 AM

Delphi

Just wondering who all here dabbles in any programming languages?  I myself am fond of Delphi and C#...  I live assembly and it's what got me into the scene.

I have been game hacking for as long as I can remember...  In the 90s I loved making trainers for C&C red alert... instant build. . Inf ore... all that.

The best time I had though we're on Delta Force Land Warrior.. . Please tell me someone here played the DF serious?

cweb

Quote from: Delphi on December 29, 2014, 10:32:54 AM
In the 90s I loved making trainers for C&C red alert... instant build. . Inf ore... all that.
Well then, a hat tip to you!  :)  (Though I was a bit heavier on the first C&C.)

I used to do a bit o' Java, but it wasn't for me. Strangely enough, I'm starting to learn how to program Crestron (A/V automation) systems and their weapon of choice (SIMPL Windows) is quite object-oriented. Can't avoid it, I suppose.

area51drone

There are programmers here.   Lately I have done a lot of C# and PHP, but I've held jobs where I programmed in C/C++/Java/VB/Delphi and I also dabbled in assembly for fun back in my 386 days.

zeebo

I studied in the school of the shining Java orthodoxy, then became a heretic and fell into the depraved cult of Perl.  Nowadays I'm embracing the pragmatic middle path, Python.

I like to get into the nuts and bolts of things with C++ once in awhile, but I do so little of it that I have to relearn everything every time I get back to it.  Guess I have to learn C++11 now.  I'm still pretty new to object oriented design.

My main languages are Haskell, F#, and LISP. I also work with some inductive logic languages, especially Aleph and Golem. I also use AspectJ.

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 30, 2014, 01:11:06 PM
LISP

(defun UGH(x) (UGH(x)))

I took a semester of the weird programming languages, LISP, ML etc.  Then I got out into the real world... and I actually I had to use a LISP derivative!

Quote from: area51drone on December 30, 2014, 02:01:04 PM
(defun UGH(x) (UGH(x)))

I took a semester of the weird programming languages, LISP, ML etc.  Then I got out into the real world... and I actually I had to use a LISP derivative!

Most of my LISP programming is integrating legacy software into modern stuff.

area51drone

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 30, 2014, 02:29:31 PM
Most of my LISP programming is integrating legacy software into modern stuff.

Thank god for people like you.   I can understand it, I can even code in it, but I can't stand looking at it.

Wintermute

Right now, this weekend mainly PHP / node.js stuff.

Started in tech before "HTTP" so like most people my age, C/C++ and your mainframe languages (MVS / CICS / COBOL) were all driven into my skull. These days though I think web is where it is unfortunately. I'd love to go back to writing some desktop apps but not many are bothering.

Wintermute

I guess the last thing I wrote for myself was a windows app...  .NET Twitter aggregator so I could make a news feed for myself. ??? Not sexy.

wr250

albrecht

anyone recall dBASE? That was about the end of my limited programming career and that was forced otj training to get the database to work....

Kelt

My languages are all archaic, more from necessity than anything to do with my age.

I was programming in COBOL circa 99/00, and prior to that Pascal and Fortran. I started with BASIC and got quite handy with it.

Ask me to write a line of code in any of those languages today and my eyes will glaze over and I'll start drooling like Homer Simpson in a donut shop.

I've dabbled in Python and C++, but since my work no longer involves coding I'm not particularly motivated to bother learning them to any degree of competency.

Quote from: Kelt on January 03, 2015, 08:34:48 PM
...and Fortran.

Fortran is still out there and still doing quite well. It's one of the two main supercomputer languages.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 03, 2015, 10:21:04 PM
Fortran is still out there and still doing quite well. It's one of the two main supercomputer languages.
Too bad no more punch cards though. I used to used those things for everything from crayon drawings (save money, I guess "here kid draw on these"), stacked together into a ramp (and taped together) for toy car jumps, and for fireplace kindling. I still wonder if some of those cards brought home from unknown agency's computers many decades ago contained some secret nuclear missile launch scenario, weather predictions, tax records, or what! One wonders when you used to find boxes and boxes of those around places in DC area what info they really contained! ;)

Quote from: albrecht on January 03, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
Too bad no more punch cards though. I used to used those things for everything from crayon drawings (save money, I guess "here kid draw on these"), stacked together into a ramp (and taped together) for toy car jumps, and for fireplace kindling. I still wonder if some of those cards brought home from unknown agency's computers many decades ago contained some secret nuclear missile launch scenario, weather predictions, tax records, or what! One wonders when you used to find boxes and boxes of those around places in DC area what info they really contained! ;)
:)
I occasionally run into old programs where you have to type "cards; " to initialize the code.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on January 03, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
Too bad no more punch cards though. ....

Kinda tricky to erase mistakes with those!   ;)

Quote from: zeebo on January 03, 2015, 11:28:06 PM
Kinda tricky to erase mistakes with those!   ;)

People used to do it with tape.

Delphi

Yeah I was reading about early programming languages and was surprised how much Fortran was still in use

ComeBackArt

Does mid-1990s AP Computer Science (Pascal) not used since count? How about a one-fifth completed CodeAcademy.org Python course? No? OK. Sorry. ;) I am digging the Python course, though, and am excited to maybe do a little programming for myself again. Haven't since some little programs I wrote in Pascal 20 years ago.

zeebo

Quote from: ComeBackArt on January 06, 2015, 10:50:36 AM
Does mid-1990s AP Computer Science (Pascal) not used since count? How about a one-fifth completed CodeAcademy.org Python course? No? OK. Sorry. ;) I am digging the Python course, though, and am excited to maybe do a little programming for myself again. Haven't since some little programs I wrote in Pascal 20 years ago.

I loved Pascal, my first language.  I wish I could have just kept working in that instead of multiple, less aesthetic languages.  I mean unsightly Perl regular expressions were not what I signed up for! That stuff looks like some scientific calculator just regurgitated all over the page.  :-\

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2015, 11:14:18 PM
I mean unsightly Perl regular expressions were not what I signed up for! That stuff looks like some scientific calculator just regurgitated all over the page.  :-\

Haha. Code Counts.

Delphi

On yeah I love pascal.... Which is why I love Delphi...  Good posts guys... Nice information

zeebo

C'mon guys, you can't call yourself a real programmer unless you sling code in one of these babies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_programming_language#Examples

Gotta try "Befunge", or maybe "FALSE".  But how can you not love "LOLCODE" - check out this example from the wiki:

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A VAR
IM IN YR LOOP
   UP VAR!!1
   VISIBLE VAR
   IZ VAR BIGGER THAN 10? KTHX
IM OUTTA YR LOOP
KTHXBYE

Delphi

Ha yeah some of those are just crazy. . Brainfuck blows me away

Quote from: zeebo on January 06, 2015, 11:14:18 PM
I loved Pascal, my first language.  I wish I could have just kept working in that instead of multiple, less aesthetic languages.  I mean unsightly Perl regular expressions were not what I signed up for! That stuff looks like some scientific calculator just regurgitated all over the page.  :-\

Blah ha ha ha. RegEx is a bitch, but damn handy if you know the expressions. And you're right, it looks like a calculator puked all over the IDE.

Quote from: zeebo on January 18, 2015, 12:22:12 AM
C'mon guys, you can't call yourself a real programmer unless you sling code in one of these babies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esoteric_programming_language#Examples

Gotta try "Befunge", or maybe "FALSE".  But how can you not love "LOLCODE" - check out this example from the wiki:

HAI
CAN HAS STDIO?
I HAS A VAR
IM IN YR LOOP
   UP VAR!!1
   VISIBLE VAR
   IZ VAR BIGGER THAN 10? KTHX
IM OUTTA YR LOOP
KTHXBYE

You guys ever been "BrainFucked" ? I see Delphi has checked it out.
http://kochi-coders.com/2013/04/23/brainfuck-programming-language-examples/

For anyone with an S+M streak running through them, you might like this one.
http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/petrovich.html

I especially like the last line in the examples:
"And in case you think this is entirely a joke, imagine a Petrovich layer over another operating system, such as Microsoft Windows (TM). Every time Windows does something you don't like, you could punish it, and it would never do it again... "

BTW - I'm actively proficient in C++, Java, VB, C#, JavaScript, BASH, HTML (3-5), CSS, Server & Client-side scripting, D, ChucK, F#, FlatASM, & MASM. (Plus I have a $100,000.00 piece of paper (GPA over 3.5) on my wall to prove it.) I have good reason to hate the new M$ OS & the way it profiles developers. They can use that info anyway they want according to the EULA, & I can think of many a nefarious purpose. It's not my imagination or paranoia, it IS hyper-awareness of things going on that most peeps don't even have a clue exist. It's a 'Brave New World' out there.

Quote from: (Sandman) Logan-5 on September 19, 2015, 11:09:54 PM
ChucK

I have good reason to hate the new M$ OS & the way it profiles developers. They can use that info anyway they want according to the EULA, & I can think of many a nefarious purpose. It's not my imagination or paranoia, it IS hyper-awareness of things going on that most peeps don't even have a clue exist. It's a 'Brave New World' out there.

ChucK sounds interesting. I will have to check it out.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the new wxdows OS. I've been working with VMWare quite a bit and EULAs have been a corporate battlefield for the last 5 years.