• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Show Prep

Started by MV/Liberace!, December 19, 2014, 10:01:21 AM

MV/Liberace!

I'm going to install a new cpu in the server. You guys able to test one hour before the show?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 03, 2015, 04:01:00 PM
I'm going to install a new cpu in the server. You guys able to test one hour before the show?

I've got to pick my daughter up from school at 9pm EST so I won't be able to do the show tonight.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on February 03, 2015, 04:10:04 PM
I've got to pick my daughter up from school at 9pm EST so I won't be able to do the show tonight.

Dammmnnnnn.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 03, 2015, 04:15:17 PM
Dammmnnnnn.

My wife had surgery on her toe so I have the double first world problem of having a wife that had to have elective surgery and as a result I have to miss doing a podcast that I was already missing work to do.

It's a pity because I have a lot to say on the Art Bell matter. Oh well.

Heather Wade

Quote from: jazmunda on February 03, 2015, 04:17:18 PM
My wife had surgery on her toe so I have the double first world problem of having a wife that had to have elective surgery and as a result I have to miss doing a podcast that I was already missing work to do.

It's a pity because I have a lot to say on the Art Bell matter. Oh well.

You will be missed because I'd like to hear your thoughts on the situation.

MV - Skype or Mumble?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: (Redacted) on February 03, 2015, 04:56:16 PM

You will be missed because I'd like to hear your thoughts on the situation.

MV - Skype or Mumble?

Mumble.

MV/Liberace!

still installing the new cpu...

MV/Liberace!

i'm on whenever you're ready.

Heather Wade

Ok.  40 minutes until I can get on.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 03, 2015, 06:18:29 PM
i'm on whenever you're ready.

I only have the iOS app on my phone at work so I guess that won't help you test.

MV/Liberace!

Hey guys. Please install this:
feenphone.com

Let's try and test it out soon. Perhaps this weekend?

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 05, 2015, 04:51:39 AM
Hey guys. Please install this:
feenphone.com

Let's try and test it out soon. Perhaps this weekend?

I am home at 12:30pm my time (7:30pm your time) tomorrow so I can test with you then.

Edit: just took a look at that site and there is no Mac version.  I know you're not a Mac fan but that's all I've got at home. I have a PC at work but due to the noise from the cafe outside my office Window it's not really a viable option for me to do the show from there.

jazmunda

Would it help if I installed and ran windows off my Mac?

I have the program to do that and I have a copy of Windows that I can install as I recently did this on another computer at home so my eldest daughter could use some software from school.

Curtis might be able to answer this. Are there any performance issues running software like this using Windows on a Mac?

heater

If you use Bootcamp for your windows install instead of virtualization software like Parallels it runs really well.  Apple created windows drivers for their hardware so you are running full hardware access windows on the Mac through a virtual partition.  I use windows on my mac for .net programming and every once in a while I'll get a blue screen but it is very rare and usually related to Java.

jazmunda

Quote from: themudking on February 05, 2015, 05:11:09 PM
If you use Bootcamp for your windows install instead of virtualization software like Parallels it runs really well.  Apple created windows drivers for their hardware so you are running full hardware access windows on the Mac through a virtual partition.  I use windows on my mac for .net programming and every once in a while I'll get a blue screen but it is very rare and usually related to Java.

I didn't understand a word you just said.

I think the software I was using was virtualization software that wr250 gave me. It wasn't parrallels.

heater

it wouldn't hurt to try the same software that wr250 gave you.  as long as you aren't trying to copy a bunch of files in the background it should be fine.  if not I can send you some info on using bootcamp for it.

Heather Wade

Some people I work with have Windows installed on a partition on their macs.  Works most of the time, but sometimes there are audio issues.

jazmunda

Quote from: themudking on February 05, 2015, 05:18:02 PM
it wouldn't hurt to try the same software that wr250 gave you.  as long as you aren't trying to copy a bunch of files in the background it should be fine.  if not I can send you some info on using bootcamp for it.

Will my Team Art Bell SETI at Home be a problem?

I don't want to stop that from crunching numbers in the background lest I miss the big signal.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on February 05, 2015, 05:33:42 PM
Will my Team Art Bell SETI at Home be a problem?

I don't want to stop that from crunching numbers in the background lest I miss the big signal.

Heh heh

MV/Liberace!

hey guys.  install this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4in8ehymwrufc05/Gabcast_Client_Setup.msi?dl=0

pending testing, it's what we're going to be using going forward.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 07, 2015, 03:54:58 PM
hey guys.  install this:

Does it work on a Mac?

If so do you want to do some testing today. I should be able to find some time in a couple of hours.

Heather Wade

Quote from: MV on February 07, 2015, 03:54:58 PM
hey guys.  install this:

Is there a certain server we should connect to?

jazmunda

Quote from: jazmunda on February 07, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
Does it work on a Mac?

If so do you want to do some testing today. I should be able to find some time in a couple of hours.

Alternatively could you recommend a windows laptop that is going to do the job.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/

Keep in mind that I will only be using it for the podcast and don't need to run NASA. just need something that you think will be able to handle the podcast and light web browsing during the show. Something that will perform well for the show without any issues. I would prefer to spend a few dollars extra not to have any performance issues.

1 Aussie Dollar is about 80 US cents.

I can write this purchase off as a business expense.

Heather Wade

I listened to the mic output and heard the hiss for myself.  Working on it. 

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on February 07, 2015, 05:23:19 PM
Alternatively could you recommend a windows laptop that is going to do the job.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers-tablets/laptops/

Keep in mind that I will only be using it for the podcast and don't need to run NASA. just need something that you think will be able to handle the podcast and light web browsing during the show. Something that will perform well for the show without any issues. I would prefer to spend a few dollars extra not to have any performance issues.

1 Aussie Dollar is about 80 US cents.

I can write this purchase off as a business expense.

I'd say probably any windows laptop at the local Walmart equivalent. Shouldn't require much.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on February 07, 2015, 06:27:14 PM
I'd say probably any windows laptop at the local Walmart equivalent. Shouldn't require much.

Cool.

Do you want to do any testing today?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on February 07, 2015, 06:32:37 PM
Cool.

Do you want to do any testing today?

I'm not at the office any longer so I can't. There were a couple issues which, oddly, seemed to clear up after redacted disconnected.

Heather Wade

Quote from: MV on February 07, 2015, 06:35:12 PM
I'm not at the office any longer so I can't. There were a couple issues which, oddly, seemed to clear up after redacted disconnected.

Must be the NSA tap.

jazmunda

Windows laptop purchased. I feel fucking dirty now. Windows 8 both sucks and blows. Listening to my setup through the Skype call test seems to sound ok. MV let me know when it suits you to test it with the software you provided. The firefub was a nice touch.