• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Reading Minds: The CoastGab Book Club

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, October 23, 2008, 12:06:30 AM

World's Best Science Fiction 1971 - (Anthology)

Frys Girl

Go Tell It on The Mountain James Baldwin

The Colour Out of Space & Others - H. P. Lovecraft

Frys Girl

Halloween is over man! Lovecraft? It's time for a Christmas Carol!

I read Lovecraft to get into the Christmas spirit.

danDNA

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood. A Canadian you can be proud of.

EvB

Quote from: danDNA on January 13, 2009, 11:42:52 AM
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood. A Canadian you can be proud of.

She is wonderful, isn't she? 

Frys Girl

I have always wanted to read the blind assassin.

danDNA

Quote from: EvB on January 13, 2009, 12:13:01 PM
She is wonderful, isn't she?

she is one of my favourite writers now i think. cant even explain it (well i could but it would be quite a long essay), she is just sooo clever, honestly, if you have never read anything by her you have missed out on a modern genius. and Angela Carter RIP.

now reading: the hidden hand - Ralph Epperson. apparently there is a conspiracy to turn the world communist!

I just finished Stephen King's "The Gunslinger", and am taking a short break from the "Dark Tower" series to read some William Gibson. My Dad got me his first two books, "Neuromancer" and "Count Zero" for Christmas, which are the basic foundation for most modern "dystopian" cyberpunk. So far, as a fan of Shadowrun the game, the seedy "Blade-Runneresque" world of "Neuromancer" has already deeply captured my interest. I recommend it to all sci-fi fans, as it's won the Hugo, Philip K. Dick, and other prestigious awards from the community over the past 20-something odd years.

danDNA

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on January 14, 2009, 05:04:05 PM
I just finished Stephen King's "The Gunslinger", and am taking a short break from the "Dark Tower" series to read some William Gibson. My Dad got me his first two books, "Neuromancer" and "Count Zero" for Christmas, which are the basic foundation for most modern "dystopian" cyberpunk. So far, as a fan of Shadowrun the game, the seedy "Blade-Runneresque" world of "Neuromancer" has already deeply captured my interest. I recommend it to all sci-fi fans, as it's won the Hugo, Philip K. Dick, and other prestigious awards from the community over the past 20-something odd years.

sounds good.

Quote from: danDNA on January 15, 2009, 03:33:08 AM
sounds good.

Yeah. It was so popular in the 80's, there was actually an old PC game made for it. Here's the box shot and a screenshot.

Granted, the game was made in like the mid to late 80's, so it looks like a piece of VGA shit. However, it's not bad if you play games for a good story.

I love those games!  Classic audio too.  I keep putting off reading Neuromancer.  Had it for a couple years now, but it keeps getting bumped back in the reading waiting list.

Just After Sunset - Stephen King

haloedorchid

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm in need of some book recommendations. Anyone read anything decent lately?

Usagi

I just finished reading the Bulgakov's Master and Margarita - a dark satire about Soviet Russia, but it goes far beyond that.  Lots of nasty little fun layers.

I picked up Gaiman's American Gods yesterday.  I realize it's been out for a while, but I hadn't gotten around to looking at it before.  I have a long-ass flight coming up, so I'm going to crack it open then.

Bounder

Colossus: Hoover Dam and the Making of the American Century, Michael Hiltzik

Ford: The Men and the Machine, Robert Lacey

Starship Troopers, Robert Heinlein

Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury

Lust for Life, Irving Stone

Best on the list: Dandelion Wine

Becoming Jimi Hendrix: From Southern Crossroads to Psychedelic London: The Untold Story of a Musical Genius.

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Jimi-Hendrix-Crossroads-Psychedelic/dp/0306819104/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303380571&sr=1-3

Great book, finished it in one sitting.

Bounder

Great, long title too.  Makes me crave me some Tom Wolfe.

JustOneFix

Quote from: Bounder on April 18, 2011, 08:21:18 AM

Ford: The Men and the Machine, Robert Lacey

One of the best Ford books to come out in the 1980s!

The People's Tycoon by Steven Watts, Wheels for the World by Douglas Brinkley are two excellent Ford books also.

If you have a desire to get a more in depth study of Ford Motor Company and Henry Ford, I highly recommend the Nevins & Hill Trilogy- Ford- The times, the man the Company, Ford Expansion & Challenge, Ford Decline & Rebirth.  Vol 2 is the hardest to find, while the first & 3rd books are more common.

Here's a couple others I reviewed on my site. I plan on doing more book reviews- I have other 1,000 Ford books in my collection and will get around to doing them all as time permits.

http://vintagefordfacts.blogspot.com/2010/11/recommended-reading-part-1.html
http://vintagefordfacts.blogspot.com/2010/11/recommended-reading-part-2.html
http://vintagefordfacts.blogspot.com/2010/11/fordlandia-dual-book-review.html

aldousburbank

Recently read "Magical Thinking, True Stories" by Augusten Burroughs, on Annagrammy's recommendation.
http://www.amazon.com/Magical-Thinking-Stories-Augusten-Burroughs/dp/0312315953/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303404360&sr=1-1

Simply written, and funny.  A strange dude's sardonic tales of common weird shit going on his life.  Enjoyable.

Bounder

Jof: thanks!

My grandmother worked at Fairlane, "in Edsel's room," during the messy late phase of Henry Sr.'s life.  She could type 90 words per minute, error-free.  On a typewriter.

That's primarily where the interest lies, for me.  She was a spelling bee champ and in a prize dictionary (granted her in 1937 by the Detroit News) I found a curious cream-white card.  Blank except handsome Roman square capitals reading, "MR. HENRY FORD."

I'm also the proud inheritor of an appropriated office tool: a giant stapler, one of those truly gargantuan jobs likely made by Frigidaire, branded: PROPERTY OF FORD MOTOR COMPANY.

CoastCanuck

Where Did the Towers Go? by Dr. Judy Wood. 

Eddie Coyle

Just finished "Nixonland" by Rick Perlstein and "1968" by Mark Kurlansky

Now reading "Strength of the Pack"(about DEA funny business) by Douglas Valentine

JustOneFix

Howard Hughes- The secret life by Charles Higham.

Absolute shit. What a waste of $3. Full of speculation and no facts, the author tries to paint Hughes as a homo and other unproved tales.

I've been researching Howard Hughes for a good many years and feel like Higham could've done a better job of research instead of writing a book based on speculation.

My next read is a couple books on the inner workings of Scientology and how they are more a cult than a church. Living in a Scientology infiltrated town it should make interesting reading. For those of you familiar with the anti-Scientology scene, I had the great pleasure to drink a few beers with Bob Minton years ago. :)

slipstream

I will finish this book today:

Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, Book 2) by Karen Traviss
Amazon link

SgtRocko

I'm re-reading "The Severed Wing" by Martin Gidron.  It's set in an alternate timeline where the Holocaust didn't happen because World War One ended in 1916.  Israel was never reborn, Yiddish is the main language of the Jews of the US - even Ladino is still being spoken in Salonika.

It's a bittersweet read - it makes you really think "what IF?" - my mother lost 11 brothers and sisters in the Shoah, and this always makes me wonder what it would be like to have cousins.

There IS a serious twist - hard to explain, but fascinating.  Actually makes it a bit more wrenching.

http://www.amazon.com/Severed-Wing-Martin-Gidron/dp/0942979966/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1318800410&sr=8-2