• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Michelle O's delicious school lunches

Started by bateman, November 14, 2014, 05:44:48 PM

pyewacket

WOTR

Thunks Gorge .W. Brush fur me education.  The no childrens luft bihind program rully worked!

I guess what I am trying to say is that Michelle Obama probably did not design this schools lunch program, nor did she cook up the "cat food" and probably did not serve it either.  George Bush probably cannot be blamed because some schools still are not edumacating their children very well as he is not actually present in every school to ensure that policy is followed.

Yes, politicians (including her) put in place programs.  Some more successful than others.  This one may work in 100 schools, but needs a pretty major overhaul in a couple.  Does it make it a failure?  Were people better off before?

Gd5150

Back in the 70's we used to get fishsticks in our school lunches that were pretty damm nasty. Thanks jimmy Carter. Milk was a dime.

That kid whining about the 1/4 cookie should have their cookie taken, told to STFU up they're there to learn not eat. LOL!

aldousburbank

I'm a vegetarian organic gardener dude who has raised my kids with "healthy" diets, largely garden grown, local, whole grain whatever- all that crap. Because and in spite of this I say fuck off to anybody who thinks they can tell anybody but your own children (to a certain age and degree) or the most mentally or physically incapable what, when, or why the fuck to eat. I don't care if you're a dietician or FLOTUS, if I have not asked for your advice as to the particulars of what to stick down my throat then don't make me tell you to stick it up your ass. Thank you very much. Have a good day.

Lt.Uhura

I briefly received food stamps many years ago while in college and a single parent.  My allotment was about $40 every two weeks.  Usually we food stamp recipients would shop the same days each month.  The checkers would often remark about the 4-5 bags of groceries I bought for $40, some would even check the receipt thinking they must have undercharged me.  Meanwhile, I couldn't help notice the other parents (often overweight) in line with me with shopping carts containing frozen pizza, sugary cereals, and other expensive prepared foods amounting to 1 or 2 bags of groceries.  I often thought about putting together a class/workshop on how to prepare quick, healthy meals cheaply. 

I agree with aldousburbank about not telling people what to eat, but I applaud Michelle Obama's efforts to educate people--especially children, about healthy food choices.  I think most people want to eat healthy, but simply don't know how.  If you all want to be upset with someone, how about the multi billion dollar food corporations who push this low nutritive packaged garbage on the public.  Next time you're in the grocery store take a look at the most prominent food displays closest to the check out:  Lots of sugar, salt, empty calories--little in the way of actual food.  And it's a myth that healthy organic food is more expensive...Relative to what?  Cap'n Crunch?

When one of my children was in the 3rd grade, I arranged to give a presentation to the class on reading food labels.  I arrived with a variety of food items, passed out one to each child.  I had no personal dietary agenda to push, only to teach an awareness of what we eat.  For the next hour we read the labels and discussed what was in them.  By the time the class was over the kids had a good idea of the healthy basics; such as the amount of sugar, fat, and sodium in common foods. What I learned was how eager these children were to learn more about the food they eat.  They bombarded me with questions.  They wanted to know more.

analog kid

At least some of those are misleading. Sometimes those are options that happen once weekly or monthly, that more foods can be added to. But there are other menu choices along with those. Entitled kids want a greaseball burger and a bag of cheetos for lunch. Film at eleven.

pyewacket

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 16, 2014, 03:46:01 PM
I briefly received food stamps many years ago while in college and a single parent.  My allotment was about $40 every two weeks.  Usually we food stamp recipients would shop the same days each month.  The checkers would often remark about the 4-5 bags of groceries I bought for $40, some would even check the receipt thinking they must have undercharged me.  Meanwhile, I couldn't help notice the other parents (often overweight) in line with me with shopping carts containing frozen pizza, sugary cereals, and other expensive prepared foods amounting to 1 or 2 bags of groceries.  I often thought about putting together a class/workshop on how to prepare quick, healthy meals cheaply. 

I agree with aldousburbank about not telling people what to eat, but I applaud Michelle Obama's efforts to educate people--especially children, about healthy food choices.  I think most people want to eat healthy, but simply don't know how.  If you all want to be upset with someone, how about the multi billion dollar food corporations who push this low nutritive packaged garbage on the public.  Next time you're in the grocery store take a look at the most prominent food displays closest to the check out:  Lots of sugar, salt, empty calories--little in the way of actual food.  And it's a myth that healthy organic food is more expensive...Relative to what?  Cap'n Crunch?

When one of my children was in the 3rd grade, I arranged to give a presentation to the class on reading food labels.  I arrived with a variety of food items, passed out one to each child.  I had no personal dietary agenda to push, only to teach an awareness of what we eat.  For the next hour we read the labels and discussed what was in them.  By the time the class was over the kids had a good idea of the healthy basics; such as the amount of sugar, fat, and sodium in common foods. What I learned was how eager these children were to learn more about the food they eat.  They bombarded me with questions.  They wanted to know more.

I agree with you about the major corporations' role in producing and promoting unhealthy food. I applaud your efforts to teach others how to break away from unhealthy habits. You've illustrated that this can be accomplished without a bloated bureaucracy. Way back when I was in school, we had health classes and home economics classes that addressed these subjects.

It won't change overnight- many factors have contributed to our unhealthy diets and weight problems. When I left the work force, I went back to more home cooking and baking. After while, you can really taste the difference. Processed food, even pricey brands, can't compare to home made. Trouble is, too many people don't make the time or know how to cook. People just don't know what they're missing.

Some of the pictures posted are confusing because they don't look healthy at all. They may fall within the target parameters but they don't look appetizing or filling. I was expecting something more along the lines of some of these:

http://www.pinterest.com/schoollunches/healthy-lunches/

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on November 16, 2014, 05:32:02 PM
I agree with you about the major corporations' role in producing and promoting unhealthy food. I applaud your efforts to teach others how to break away from unhealthy habits. You've illustrated that this can be accomplished without a bloated bureaucracy. Way back when I was in school, we had health classes and home economics classes that addressed these subjects.

It won't change overnight- many factors have contributed to our unhealthy diets and weight problems. When I left the work force, I went back to more home cooking and baking. After while, you can really taste the difference. Processed food, even pricey brands, can't compare to home made. Trouble is, too many people don't make the time or know how to cook. People just don't know what they're missing.

Some of the pictures posted are confusing because they don't look healthy at all. They may fall within the target parameters but they don't look appetizing or filling. I was expecting something more along the lines of some of these:

In the evil days people had time to cook meals, usually the wife/mother, now with two-incomes being the norm (and often necessity) people end up buying bad food, take-out, ordering a pizza from the cardboard factory, or fast food for dinner. Heck I remember even when people used to go home for lunch from work or school and eat. These days people are lucky if they have one decent home-cooked meal on Sunday. People know this is not good but it is the easiest option. Michelle doesn't need to scold us (I thought bullying was a bad thing these days. Certainly children learn more about the evils of bullying in school these days than things like, say, math or grammar.) Instead of scolding and interfering on a national scale on issues that should be up to the local school board and parents- try to make an economy where someone can stay home and cook (not simply due to unemployment or existing on welfare/SNAP but doesn't need to work outside the home to make ends meet), where people have time to visit markets daily and buy fresh meat, seafood, and produce, where people can afford to have their own garden, or even farm, etc.

pyewacket

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2014, 05:51:41 PM
In the evil days people had time to cook meals, usually the wife/mother, now with two-incomes being the norm (and often necessity) people end up buying bad food, take-out, ordering a pizza from the cardboard factory, or fast food for dinner. Heck I remember even when people used to go home for lunch from work or school and eat. These days people are lucky if they have one decent home-cooked meal on Sunday. People know this is not good but it is the easiest option. Michelle doesn't need to scold us (I thought bullying was a bad thing these days. Certainly children learn more about the evils of bullying in school these days than things like, say, math or grammar.) Instead of scolding and interfering on a national scale on issues that should be up to the local school board and parents- try to make an economy where someone can stay home and cook (not simply due to unemployment or existing on welfare/SNAP but doesn't need to work outside the home to make ends meet), where people have time to visit markets daily and buy fresh meat, seafood, and produce, where people can afford to have their own garden, or even farm, etc.

So true! It's gotten so expensive to have a family and a home. People are having a hard time making ends meet and have to hold down more than one job.

Many old cultural traditions are being lost, too.  :(

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: pyewacket on November 16, 2014, 05:32:02 PM

Those lunches look delicious!  Thanks for the link, lots of great ideas there.  Toddlers & young children especially love small portion finger foods.  Those wraps with tortillas or flat bread are healthy & appetizing, less filling than a big slice of bread.  I've made my kids pizzas on mini pocket bread or English muffins with crumbled tofu under the cheese for extra protein.  They loved them, takes like 10 min to make.  I still have a teen at home who eats meat (I don't), so I buy the more expensive organic boneless chicken, but divide an $8 package into 4 meal portions to make either a "bowl" with brown rice (made ahead, stored in fridge) & veggies, or chicken tacos...each meal cheap & quick to prepare. 

BTW, I noticed buisness is slowing down at McDonald's.  Hmmm, are people catching on?
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102104126

aldousburbank

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 16, 2014, 09:17:29 PM
BTW, I noticed buisness is slowing down at McDonald's.  Hmmm, are people catching on?
I think more people are working at McDonalds who can't afford to eat at McDonalds.

pyewacket

Lt Uhura quote: "Those lunches look delicious!  Thanks for the link, lots of great ideas there.  Toddlers & young children especially love small portion finger foods.  Those wraps with tortillas or flat bread are healthy & appetizing, less filling than a big slice of bread.  I've made my kids pizzas on mini pocket bread or English muffins with crumbled tofu under the cheese for extra protein.  They loved them, took like 10 min to make.  I still have a teen at home who eats meat (I don't), so I buy the more expensive organic boneless chicken, but divide an $8 package into 4 meal portions to make either a "bowl" with brown rice (made ahead, stored in fridge) & veggies, or chicken tacos...each meal cheap & quick to prepare.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102104126"

You're welcome, Lt. Uhura! Be warned- Pinterest is addictive- they have everything on those boards! So many artistic people post there, too.

I like your ideas as well. I make my own pizza dough and learned the multi step process to make real pizza at home. I use better ingredients and haven't bought pizza in years.

I read articles about old Micky D's losing business, too. I can't remember the last time I've eaten there. Perhaps people are more health conscious. Or the food to go offered at grocery stores are cutting into their business. 

albrecht

Quote from: pyewacket on November 16, 2014, 09:30:24 PM
Lt Uhura quote: "Those lunches look delicious!  Thanks for the link, lots of great ideas there.  Toddlers & young children especially love small portion finger foods.  Those wraps with tortillas or flat bread are healthy & appetizing, less filling than a big slice of bread.  I've made my kids pizzas on mini pocket bread or English muffins with crumbled tofu under the cheese for extra protein.  They loved them, took like 10 min to make.  I still have a teen at home who eats meat (I don't), so I buy the more expensive organic boneless chicken, but divide an $8 package into 4 meal portions to make either a "bowl" with brown rice (made ahead, stored in fridge) & veggies, or chicken tacos...each meal cheap & quick to prepare.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102104126"

You're welcome, Lt. Uhura! Be warned- Pinterest is addictive- they have everything on those boards! So many artistic people post there, too.

I like your ideas as well. I make my own pizza dough and learned the multi step process to make real pizza at home. I use better ingredients and haven't bought pizza in years.

I read articles about old Micky D's losing business, too. I can't remember the last time I've eaten there. Perhaps people are more health conscious. Or the food to go offered at grocery stores are cutting into their business.
I will throw something in here again also. It is important to "lead my example" and also get tastes in early for children. Now, I'm not saying I did to this extreme, but I had a friend who had an amazing nanny who, literally, had a notebook and wrote down everything toddler was eating. Blended herself the stuff, etc. What he liked, what he didn't, how much he did once blended with other stuff, etc? Fresh veggies, fish, etc. That was to the extreme, maybe, but even in every day life. Kid sees dad say "no" to a certain thing. Or girl sees only mom eating a salad? Somethings, yes, are an acquired tasted but variety is also very important. And willingness/ability to try new foods. And even old foods (headcheese or liver and onions anyone...hahah?)

I, personally, love sardines and pickled herring. (Important now to get from good oceans and canneries) good source of protein, Omega-3s, and cheap (and tasty)! I cringe when I see these SNAP people buying sodas and crap in front of me in line. When some sardines and dried beans soaked for a day and cooked with good spice could be SO much cheaper, more filling, and likely better for you. I get bad looks from the foodbank volunteers when I give sauerkraut, sardines, beans, etc...but they came from my own stock! You didn't announce well that you would be asking and just knocked on the door! And that probably will give more nutrition to the poor folks than some salt-soup Campbells or whatever others give and more storeable for those in peril!!

pyewacket

Quote from: albrecht on November 16, 2014, 09:50:02 PM
I will throw something in here again also. It is important to "lead my example" and also get tastes in early for children. Now, I'm not saying I did to this extreme, but I had a friend who had an amazing nanny who, literally, had a notebook and wrote down everything toddler was eating. Blended herself the stuff, etc. What he liked, what he didn't, how much he did once blended with other stuff, etc? Fresh veggies, fish, etc. That was to the extreme, maybe, but even in every day life. Kid sees dad say "no" to a certain thing. Or girl sees only mom eating a salad? Somethings, yes, are an acquired tasted but variety is also very important. And willingness/ability to try new foods. And even old foods (headcheese or liver and onions anyone...hahah?)

I, personally, love sardines and pickled herring. (Important now to get from good oceans and canneries) good source of protein, Omega-3s, and cheap (and tasty)! I cringe when I see these SNAP people buying sodas and crap in front of me in line. When some sardines and dried beans soaked for a day and cooked with good spice could be SO much cheaper, more filling, and likely better for you. I get bad looks from the foodbank volunteers when I give sauerkraut, sardines, beans, etc...but they came from my own stock! You didn't announce well that you would be asking and just knocked on the door! And that probably will give more nutrition to the poor folks than some salt-soup Campbells or whatever others give and more storeable for those in peril!!

Good points, albrecht! There is so much information available on the net, TV- food channel, magazines, books and on and on. The problem appears to be getting people to recognise the problem and motivate them to make healthy changes. If people are stubborn or lazy- not much you can do to help them.

Lt.Uhura

The article on Mickey D's mentions the millennials are making healthier choices.  My teenager and his friends do not choose to go to McDonald's, and I've never eaten there.  Knowledge about food & diet and how it affects our overall health and mood is empowering.  I believe if given the information, kids will discover this on their own, without having to be told what to eat.   

pyewacket

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on November 16, 2014, 10:52:25 PM
The article on Mickey D's mentions the millennials are making healthier choices.  My teenager and his friends do not choose to go to McDonald's, and I've never eaten there.  Knowledge about food & diet and how it affects our overall health and mood is empowering.  I believe if given the information, kids will discover this on their own, without having to be told what to eat.

I'm glad they're breaking the cycles of junk food. You're not missing anything by not eating there! Many years ago they had a soy burger on the menu that I used to like but they dropped it due to lack of sales. Not sure if they can raise the bar high enough to remake themselves. It would take time and money to court new, health conscious consumers.

I find some products I enjoyed when I was younger totally unappealing now. Things just have a funny chemical taste. Maybe it's all in my head but I can't eat them anymore.

SciFiAuthor

What I want to know is why anyone gives a fuck. The human species, in nature, is designed by evolution to live to about 40, at most. Go past that and the bodily systems begin to fail. The further you go, the worse it gets. We've all watched our uncles and aunts, parents, grandparents etc. go ungracefully, even horribly, due to the effects of advancing age. It gets worse the longer you go. So we tell people to eat well, not smoke, watch the cholesterol and avoid heart disease . . . just so we can die as blabbering Alzheimer's-ridden vegetables. Oh gee, that's fucking lovely, it was totally worth the effort to not enjoy life and force ourselves each morning to eat egg white and spinach omelets when we really want a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from McDonalds. Death is 100% certain, and the older you get, the less life is nice. But you stupid fuckers make us eat spinach, enact laws that say we can't smoke within 100 yards of a bar, and tell us not to drink.

Get the fuck off your high horse. Well, you preachy fucks, where is that going to get you? It's going to get you, for the foreseeable future, a horrific drawn-out death from some old-age disease; you will be a burden to your kids and family while you sit in an expensive nursing home costing your kids a fortune while you drool for years until you finally kick off at 101, your eulogy-givers proud of the fact that you lectured and legislated and arrogantly beat everyone over their heads with holier-than-though health messages that we shalt live healthy only to condemn us to exponentially worse and worse deaths the older we get. You noble preachy motherfuckers.

Humans are biologically supposed to die at about 40. That's natural. In the future, we can change that reality. But until then, stop stuffing it down everyone's throats.

pyewacket

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 17, 2014, 01:09:07 AM
What I want to know is why anyone gives a fuck. The human species, in nature, is designed by evolution to live to about 40, at most. Go past that and the bodily systems begin to fail. The further you go, the worse it gets. We've all watched our uncles and aunts, parents, grandparents etc. go ungracefully, even horribly, due to the effects of advancing age. It gets worse the longer you go. So we tell people to eat well, not smoke, watch the cholesterol and avoid heart disease . . . just so we can die as blabbering Alzheimer's-ridden vegetables. Oh gee, that's fucking lovely, it was totally worth the effort to not enjoy life and force ourselves each morning to eat egg white and spinach omelets when we really want a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit from McDonalds. Death is 100% certain, and the older you get, the less life is nice. But you stupid fuckers make us eat spinach, enact laws that say we can't smoke within 100 yards of a bar, and tell us not to drink.

Get the fuck off your high horse. Well, you preachy fucks, where is that going to get you? It's going to get you, for the foreseeable future, a horrific drawn-out death from some old-age disease; you will be a burden to your kids and family while you sit in an expensive nursing home costing your kids a fortune while you drool for years until you finally kick off at 101, your eulogy-givers proud of the fact that you lectured and legislated and arrogantly beat everyone over their heads with holier-than-though health messages that we shalt live healthy only to condemn us to exponentially worse and worse deaths the older we get. You noble preachy motherfuckers.

Humans are biologically supposed to die at about 40. That's natural. In the future, we can change that reality. But until then, stop stuffing it down everyone's throats.

Looks like another one has reached 41 and feels the icy breath of death on their neck. There's a link on Youtube for prostate self examination - after reading your post, it just popped into my mind for some reason.

Have a nice day...and a hot pocket!  :)

Lt.Uhura

I totally agree.  You might as well go ahead and have another McMuffin.  After all, your leaders (most of whom are well past the age of 40) have determined you don't need health insurance anyway.  Party on, lol!

pate

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 14, 2014, 10:00:41 PM
I'm a vegetarian organic gardener dude who has raised my kids with "healthy" diets, largely garden grown, local, whole grain whatever- all that crap. Because and in spite of this I say fuck off to anybody who thinks they can tell anybody but your own children (to a certain age and degree) or the most mentally or physically incapable what, when, or why the fuck to eat. I don't care if you're a dietician or FLOTUS, if I have not asked for your advice as to the particulars of what to stick down my throat then don't make me tell you to stick it up your ass. Thank you very much. Have a good day.

AB, I'd like to salute you for this statement.  You paint yourself as a true Vegetable Patriot, and deserved to be lauded.  I am sure you have met Vegetable Aryans and heard their sort of rhetorical argument, and as any true Patriot you reject that ideology!  I seriously applaud you.  'Murica needs more folks like you around, AB for President 2016!

pyewacket

I agree with you, too. I've read some of your other posts and find that I agree with most. I think we might misunderstand each other on this topic- I object to this new program for the school lunches. The kids probably have several choices but don't seem to like them. I don't think they should be forced into it.

I enjoy cooking, not everyone does or has the time. I use real ingredients like milk, eggs, butter, sugar, white flour, lean meats, veggies, and high ratio shortening with trans fats!!! The horror! My meals and especially desserts would not get the approval of the FLOTUS. 

My point is that a well cooked meal, properly balanced, doesn't have to be bland and tasteless. Desserts can be decadent when indulged in on occasion. Some processed foods work well in a pinch. I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to eat.

McDonald's and other FF chains are trying to keep up with the changing tastes of their consumers.  This may be due to all the bad publicity they get. Everyday we hear that this or that is bad for us. Then we hear the reverse the next year.

We may have only 40 years or so of maximum health, but more kids are developing diseases younger in life and won't even get to enjoy those 40 years. Now it's being called a crisis and that means more bureaucracy and blue ribbon panels to "solve" it. Just what we all need-right? Maybe some accurate information and common sense would be all that we need.

Yorkshire pud

Or...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29929403

This from last July. (This is the UK remember)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28191865

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-29989155

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20509577

Researchers say a baby's chance of being obese in childhood can be predicted at birth using a simple formula.

The formula combines several known factors to estimate the risk of obesity.

The authors of the study, published in PLos One, hope it will be used to identify babies at risk.

Childhood obesity can lead to many health problems, including Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

Researchers from Imperial College London looked at 4,032 Finnish children born in 1986 and at data from two further studies of 1,503 Italian children and 1,032 US children.

They found that looking at a few simple measurements, such as a child's birthweight and whether the mother smoked, was enough to predict obesity.

Previously it had been thought that genetic factors would give bigger clues to later weight problems, but only about one in 10 cases of obesity is the result of a rare gene mutation that affects appetite.

pyewacket

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 17, 2014, 02:33:12 PM
Or...?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29929403

This from last July. (This is the UK remember)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28191865

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-29989155

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20509577

Thanks for all the links- similar information to what I read here. I'm not disagreeing that there is a problem and people really need some help to turn this trend around. I just have seen too many programs become more about the people running them than the people who are supposed to benefit from them. Not all are like that.

When I go grocery shopping, I'm not looking to judge others but I can't help noticing how much processed stuff people buy. I buy the ingredients to make meals and have appliances like the Flavor Wave that allows me to reduce some of the fat in my cooking process.

Some classes on how to cook and revise recipes for better dietary choices would help. Making people aware of the importance of diet for their child's health is key. Trouble is in the approach. These lunch programs are making people angry. The kids are opting out and there is a huge amount of waste. Not a good example for the kids either. They need to know how to make the most of our resources. We shouldn't encourage bad eating but we also shouldn't make healthy eating unpleasant. This approach may be putting the kids off from trying better food choices. From what I've seen it's focused on bland, unfamiliar foods or highly processed foods with nothing in between.

http://eagnews.org/looks-more-like-a-piece-of-paper-than-a-sub-roll-new-york-schools-drop-michelle-os-lunch-program/

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-14845/what-french-kids-eat-for-school-lunch-it-puts-americans-to-shame.html

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/michelle-obama-s-school-lunch-program-under-fire-again

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: pyewacket on November 17, 2014, 01:48:13 AM
Looks like another one has reached 41 and feels the icy breath of death on their neck. There's a link on Youtube for prostate self examination - after reading your post, it just popped into my mind for some reason.

Have a nice day...and a hot pocket!  :)

38 and no illusions after putting 24 elderly aunts and uncles in the grave over the last decade. It was fucking horrible. The older you get, the worse the end is. You will die no matter what the fuck you eat. The healthier you eat, the worse your death will be. Heart attacks are fast; boom, you're dead before you hit the ground in the best case scenario. Alzheimer's, Parkinson;s, cancer are not fast, they are horrific and draw the whole thing out longer and longer the older you get. The only reason you want to get to that sad state of affairs is because you fear death and then you jam it up everyone else's asses with Michelle's healthy eating and intrusive smoking bans. But death is absolute, you will face it and when you do it won't be pretty, it will be increasingly horrific the older you get.

We should all stop lying to ourselves about old age and death. Either fix it, or accept it. But let's stop lying to ourselves.

Aubrey de Grey - A Roadmap to End Aging - Is Death a Disease?

pate

Quote from: pyewacket on November 17, 2014, 02:25:59 PM
... I enjoy cooking, not everyone does or has the time. ...

But somehow, in the time left to myself, I find the time to do just that!  Cook something, I don't claim to be a chef...  If a friend gives me a flavorful vegetable objet d'art that I haven't had the time nor love to plant and give... well...

I'd give my left nut (actually, Jorch's left nut, but I think he already gave it for sumthin' else...) for a homegrown tomato(e), I hate to eat a fresh tomate, but they make the best wine...

Blah,bity, I once tried Brocolli in this Midwest intemperate climate, first-run gives me a taste for that flower to this day... never enjoyed Beets, but had a family friend that enjoyed them pickled, albeit big and sliced not small & picked...  who knows where taste goes?

What?  mOM,  leave me alone, I enjoy my home...  Inda basement Jazz!

Basement Jaxx - Never Say Never ft. ETML

pyewacket

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 18, 2014, 01:44:24 AM
38 and no illusions after putting 24 elderly aunts and uncles in the grave over the last decade. It was fucking horrible. The older you get, the worse the end is. You will die no matter what the fuck you eat. The healthier you eat, the worse your death will be. Heart attacks are fast; boom, you're dead before you hit the ground in the best case scenario. Alzheimer's, Parkinson;s, cancer are not fast, they are horrific and draw the whole thing out longer and longer the older you get. The only reason you want to get to that sad state of affairs is because you fear death and then you jam it up everyone else's asses with Michelle's healthy eating and intrusive smoking bans. But death is absolute, you will face it and when you do it won't be pretty, it will be increasingly horrific the older you get.

We should all stop lying to ourselves about old age and death. Either fix it, or accept it. But let's stop lying to ourselves.

Aubrey de Grey - A Roadmap to End Aging - Is Death a Disease?

It sounds like you've had a rough time of it and I can't blame you for feeling the way that you do. I'm not sure if you are directing all this at me personally or if you are speaking in broader terms.

I have also watched several relatives die of the old age diseases and cancer. It is heart breaking to see them slip away slowly. I've had more die peacefully, still active in advanced age. I don't fear death. I am in the decline side of the 40 year mark. I do try to preserve my health as much as is possible because our needs change with age. The body doesn't respond the same way. Regular exercise is needed to counter arthritis and it's a mood enhancer. Meditation and yoga help, too. Not everyone's cup of tea. We each have to choose how we cope with our own needs. I also apply Buddhist teachings to my life. I have no desire to extend my life beyond nature. I could not get past the 11 minute mark on the video. So much energy focused on that rather than enjoying what he has now. All I would ask him is, "why?"

I'm not sure how this all ties in to an attempt at correcting cultural/behavioural changes that are having a negative effect on the kids. Let's face it, some kids are pretty much on their own and need some help. It's not directed at adults as far as I know. People are still free to choose what they eat. I have a weakness for chocolate and I eat it and enjoy it. I've been fit and unfit over the years. A reasonable attempt at maintaining a manageable weight and mobility isn't a radical idea. I'd like to get about for myself for as long as possible.

You don't need anyone's approval for your diet or lifestyle. So if you're in a good place and you feel happy with it- you're further ahead of many others. Don't take it all so personally. They'll soon tire of this and move on to something else. If a few people are motivated to help themselves- then some one benefited from it.

I rather like getting older- I have a much better perspective than I did when I was young. It's not all bad.  :) 

pyewacket

Quote from: pate on November 18, 2014, 03:42:07 AM
But somehow, in the time left to myself, I find the time to do just that!  Cook something, I don't claim to be a chef...  If a friend gives me a flavorful vegetable objet d'art that I haven't had the time nor love to plant and give... well...

I'd give my left nut (actually, Jorch's left nut, but I think he already gave it for sumthin' else...) for a homegrown tomato(e), I hate to eat a fresh tomate, but they make the best wine...

Blah,bity, I once tried Brocolli in this Midwest intemperate climate, first-run gives me a taste for that flower to this day... never enjoyed Beets, but had a family friend that enjoyed them pickled, albeit big and sliced not small & picked...  who knows where taste goes?

What?  mOM,  leave me alone, I enjoy my home...  Inda basement Jazz!

Basement Jaxx - Never Say Never ft. ETML

Garden fresh are the best! You can't go wrong with zucchini - good for main dishes and bread. I've even made little pancakes by batter dipping the flowers.  :)

pate

Quote from: pyewacket on November 18, 2014, 04:06:34 AM
Garden fresh are the best! You can't go wrong with zucchini - good for main dishes and bread. I've even made little pancakes by batter dipping the flowers.  :)

The Zuc's I've always had trouble with...  True a good shred for the bread, or soda lifted muffin...

I enjoy them best somewhat toasted on the edje in a bit 'o olive oil, crisp and tasty there, but garden fresh always best...  Huh, shred them into a batter of pancake?  Sounds as good as pumpkin bread, or any other...  Mee Likey!

edit: Krikey! :
The Lighthorsemen ( 1987 ), English.