• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Interstellar

Started by Wintermute, October 21, 2014, 10:30:25 PM

jazmunda

I'm in the cinema as we speak.

area51drone

Quote from: jazmunda on November 20, 2014, 04:00:41 AM
I'm in the cinema as we speak.

So you're one of those people.  No surprise.   

Oh, and yeah I know you don't give a fuck what I think, mate.

Quote from: coaster on October 22, 2014, 08:46:02 PM
I was a big fan of the movie Contact, and this one has the same feel to it. I am really looking forward to seeing it.

I have no idea why people including art bell love this movie. I thought it was lame.

jazmunda

Quote from: area51drone on November 20, 2014, 04:11:41 AM
So you're one of those people.  No surprise.

It was well before the movie started moron.   

Quote from: area51drone on November 20, 2014, 04:11:41 AM
Oh, and yeah I know you don't give a fuck what I think, mate.

At least you got one thing right cunt.

paladin1991

Quote from: jazmunda on November 20, 2014, 07:08:27 AM

At least you got one thing right, cunt.
Punctuation.  The proper use of a comma adds emphasis to a statement.  In this case, the use of a comma after the word 'right' adds weight to the Oz term of endearment. 

Try this phrase using and remember to stop briefly for Mr. Comma.  "NO need to be rude to drone, you fuck."

area51drone

Quote from: jazmunda on November 20, 2014, 07:08:27 AM

At least you got one thing right cunt.

Wow the c-word.  You are such a treat mate!  Don't make me fly down to Australia and tickle your belly!

Marc.Knight

Quote from: area51drone on November 20, 2014, 10:00:31 AM
Wow the c-word.  You are such a treat mate!  Don't make me fly down to Australia and tickle your belly!

In Australia their belly is their cunt.

area51drone

Ahh, it's all just in fun.  Jazmunda, I'm sorry to have offended you in my posts and my avatar spoof.  I'll chill out.

paladin1991

Sure it is.   ;D   Sure it is.       Mate.

Gd5150

Quote from: Kelt on October 22, 2014, 11:11:59 AM
I'm usually horribly disappointed by Sci-Fi movies.

I think the genre lends itself to imagination, and when that imagination is reduced to a set with some mediocre actors it becomes a bit of a let-down.

I imagined multi-headed, interdimensional dragons. I got this.

Wow! Proof of sasquatch and that he's an alien from outer space!

zeebo

Finally went to see this.  What a big disappointment.  Don't want to give any spoilers so I'll refrain from ranting in detail.

I just don't understand all the hype.  Seems like someone calls into coast every nite bringing it up, and it's got such high average rating on imdb (could most of those reviews be fake I'm wondering).

Quote from: zeebo on December 05, 2014, 10:12:54 PM
Finally went to see this.  What a big disappointment.  Don't want to give any spoilers so I'll refrain from ranting in detail.

I just don't understand all the hype.  Seems like someone calls into coast every nite bringing it up, and it's got such high average rating on imdb (could most of those reviews be fake I'm wondering).

But it was awesome!  Or maybe it was a waste of three hours I'll never get back.  It's been weeks and I'm still not sure.  Physicists probably shouldn't be the driving force behind movie scripts.

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on December 06, 2014, 12:08:28 AM
But it was awesome!  Or maybe it was a waste of three hours I'll never get back.  ...

Fixed for you.   ;)

** SPOILERS (SORT OF) **

Ok look there were some interesting ideas, but they were poorly explained, highly speculative to say the least, and mired in cloying emotional blathering.  And the other 90% of it was, um, wtf?  Really I could rant, maybe I will at some point, but a quick scan of all the 1-star reviews on imdb covers most of my gripes. 

Trust me, I really wanted to love this movie, what with my love of sci-fi and astronomy.  But I saw it as a huge missed opportunity to make an epic film about reaching out to the stars, and instead got a choppy sentimental mess filled with plot holes and questionable science.  Cool shots of Saturn though.  Oh well, back to my books for now.

Quote from: zeebo on December 06, 2014, 12:18:02 AM
Fixed for you.   ;)

** SPOILERS (SORT OF) **

Ok look there were some interesting ideas, but they were poorly explained, highly speculative to say the least, and mired in cloying emotional blathering.  And the other 90% of it was, um, wtf?  Really I could rant, maybe I will at some point, but a quick scan of all the 1-star reviews on imdb covers most of my gripes. 

Trust me, I really wanted to love this movie, what with my love of sci-fi and astronomy.  But I saw it as a huge missed opportunity to make an epic film about reaching out to the stars, and instead got a choppy sentimental mess filled with plot holes and questionable science.  Cool shots of Saturn though.  Oh well, back to my books for now.

** SPOILERS (sort of) **

Well, it was certainly interesting but I don't think it was well put together and they tried to examine too many different philosophical ideas.  I felt it lacked a solid coherence and so I'm not sure I ever got drawn into any of the characters or their various plights.  But one thing that is interesting is that Kip Thorne is writing a paper based on the black hole simulation in the movie.  Apparently they programmed it from pages of his equations and the amount of computer power that went into rendering each frame was immense.  As a physicist I guess it gave him resources like science has never had to simulate what one would look like.

zeebo

Yeah I saw that KT was involved, and I do think there were some cool ideas in there somewhere, but were lost amongst the, um, plot.  Strange thing was they'd toss out these one-line throwaway mentions of things like gravity and wormholes and time dilation but they never really explained it, e.g. at one point if I recall correctly the term "tesseract" appeared casually as if no big deal.  Anyway if you come across any of the scientific underpinnings I'd be interested, but if it involves cornfields or blocky robots I'll skip it.   :)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: zeebo on December 06, 2014, 12:18:02 AM
Fixed for you.   ;)

** SPOILERS (SORT OF) **

I agree. I said elsewhere it's big. And like yourself I really wanted to like it. It will un-deservedly be a huge (financial) box office hit, because to date they don't give refunds if you don't like a film.

Oh and the dialogue is shit. They should have put subtitles on it

zeebo

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 06, 2014, 12:46:01 AM
...Oh and the dialogue is shit. They should have put subtitles on it

Yes it was really odd, often being a maudlin philosophizing mish-mash with random plot points or science bits.  You could just hear the writer spewing exposition, as opposed to hearing how people actually talk. 

Also the sound editing itself was screwed up, where some parts were super loud and others were whisper-quiet.  I think this may be an artifact from it being made for 3-d and it messed up the dynamics. 

area51drone

It wasn't just you zeebo.  I think anyone with a real interest in science/space travel (meaning you've read a lot about it) would be disappointed in it.   Oh well, one of these days something truly good will come out of hollywood.  We can hope.

Sadly, I felt Gravity was lacking too.  I couldn't watch more than 40 minutes of that movie before I turned it off.  Anyone agree with that?

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on December 06, 2014, 01:02:26 AM
... Sadly, I felt Gravity was lacking too.  I couldn't watch more than 40 minutes of that movie before I turned it off.  Anyone agree with that?

It didn't live up to the hype, but I did find it kind of entertaining.  (Although I could have done without the mystical elements.)  The action sequences were pretty cool, if preposterous.  And I thought Sandra B. was good in it actually.  In any case at least it wasn't as overwrought and dreary as Interstellar. 

Even with all the weirdness at the end, according to Kip Thorne the part that stretched the bounds of science the most were the frozen clouds they came across at one point.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: zeebo on December 06, 2014, 01:10:45 AM
It didn't live up to the hype, but I did find it kind of entertaining.  (Although I could have done without the mystical elements.)  The action sequences were pretty cool, if preposterous.  And I thought Sandra B. was good in it actually.  In any case at least it wasn't as overwrought and dreary as Interstellar.

As an action film and for effects I thought it was one of the best I've ever seen. Was good Cloony didn't take the starring role too.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 06, 2014, 01:15:06 AM
As an action film and for effects I thought it was one of the best I've ever seen. Was good Cloony didn't take the starring role too.

It was kind of a simple film in a way and the science isn't always right, but I really enjoyed it.  I've watched it several times and always get hooked by Sandra Bullock's acting and the situation they find themselves in.

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on December 06, 2014, 01:18:48 AM
It was kind of a simple film in a way and the science isn't always right, but I really enjoyed it.  I've watched it several times and always get hooked by Sandra Bullock's acting and the situation they find themselves in.

Yes I think that's why it worked pretty well, it knew it was basically an action, suspense, thrill ride and didn't try to be some huge epic so didn't take itself too seriously.  The whole human story didn't work for me but I did think it was exciting and I wish I'd seen that one in the theater.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on December 06, 2014, 01:02:26 AM
It wasn't just you zeebo.  I think anyone with a real interest in science/space travel (meaning you've read a lot about it) would be disappointed in it. ...

Yes what blew me away is you've got something which is inherently fascinating (to me anyway) - space travel, relativity, new planets, etc. but everyone was like so bored by all this amazing stuff around them.  Where was the awe?  I mean you get to see galaxies floating around on the other side of a wormhole and it's just like a day at the office for them?

area51drone

Hmm.. like I said, I didn't even finish Gravity, so maybe I should go back and try to watch it again.   You guys have my interest piqued now that you say there's some bat shit crazy in the end...

Quote from: area51drone on December 06, 2014, 01:32:52 AM
Hmm.. like I said, I didn't even finish Gravity, so maybe I should go back and try to watch it again.   You guys have my interest piqued now that you say there's some bat shit crazy in the end...

oh.. sorry when I was referring to the bit at the end I meant Interstellar.  Sorry, I guess I'm mixing my posts.

zeebo

Quote from: area51drone on December 06, 2014, 01:32:52 AM

My advice, look at it like a roller coaster ride, not a cerebral scifi epic, and you might get kick out of it.  And whenever anyone starts talking about their life back home, go grab another beer.   :D

zeebo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on December 06, 2014, 01:34:49 AM
oh.. sorry when I was referring to the bit at the end I meant Interstellar.  Sorry, I guess I'm mixing my posts.

I dunno, some crazy moments at end of Gravity too.