• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

AvDaBr

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 20, 2015, 11:54:57 PM

Scherzer got cute during that at bat and threw two off speed pitches well off the plate. The second one Tabata got hit by. Sucks to lose it that way.

But Milt Pappas getting squeezed out a perfect game by Bruce Froemming in September, 1972 takes the cake. Pappas got the no hitter but never forgave Froemming...who reveled in pissing off Pappas.

I'll have to look into the Pappas one.  Was it a perfect game the Detroit pitcher lost a few years back because of a blown safe call at first, or was that just a denied no-hitter?

Quote from: AvDaBr on June 21, 2015, 12:08:49 AM
I'll have to look into the Pappas one.  Was it a perfect game the Detroit pitcher lost a few years back because of a blown safe call at first, or was that just a denied no-hitter?

Yes, it was. The pitcher was Armando Galarraga.

https://youtu.be/WlDTBDJbNE4

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 20, 2015, 11:54:57 PM

Scherzer got cute during that at bat and threw two off speed pitches well off the plate. The second one Tabata got hit by. Sucks to lose it that way.

But Milt Pappas getting squeezed out a perfect game by Bruce Froemming in September, 1972 takes the cake. Pappas got the no hitter but never forgave Froemming...who reveled in pissing off Pappas.

Back when I used to watch baseball there were several, more than several, umpires that not only sucked but were assholes on top of it.  Bruce Froemming was one of 'em.  Not a lot different from politicians that are around forever and can't be gotten rid of

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: AvDaBr on June 21, 2015, 12:08:49 AM

Joyce blew the call horribly, but I've long thought that Miguel Cabrera created that scenario by overaggressively going after a ball that was the second baseman's play.

[size=78%]
Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 21, 2015, 12:32:49 AM[/size]Back when I used to watch baseball there were several, more than several, umpires that not only sucked but were assholes on top of it.  Bruce Froemming was one of 'em.  Not a lot different from politicians that are around forever and can't be gotten rid of

Refs, umps,offensive lineman, pols and judges...if you know their name, it usually is an indicator of how much they suck.

Joe West is the Ken Kaiser of this era. He thinks 35,000 people are there to watch him.

Angel Hernandez is another bad umpire.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 21, 2015, 01:11:24 AM
... Refs, umps,offensive lineman, pols and judges...if you know their name, it usually is an indicator of how much they suck.

Joe West is the Ken Kaiser of this era. He thinks 35,000 people are there to watch him.

So many were incredibly obese, do they still look like a bunch of escapees from a fat farm?

3OctaveFart

Hernandez is not just a bad arbiter, but aggressive and usually on the attack.
He is a straight up joke.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 21, 2015, 06:41:12 AM
So many were incredibly obese, do they still look like a bunch of escapees from a fat farm?

After John McSherry dropped dead on the field in Cincy on Opening Day '96, MLB began to stress that maybe being 350 pounds wasn't a good thing. There are some umps with beer guts, but the really obese umps are pretty much gone these days.

I look at the standings and league leaders every once in awhile.  Today I noticed there are 2 NL players near the top in each of the Triple Crown categories:

Paul Goldschmidt (AZ) is leading in batting (.356), 4th in HRs (19), and tied for second in RBIs (57)

Bryce Harper (WA) is third in batting (.345), 2nd in HRs (24), and tied for second in RBIs (57)

Giancarlo Stanton (MIA) leads in HRS and RBIs with 25 and 64, but is out of the running in batting.  Goldschmidt (52) and Harper (50) are also first and tied for second in Runs scored

Eddie, do you know if it is unusual at this point in the season to have 2 guys, in the same league, statistically in the hunt for a Triple Crown?

7 Royals in line to make the AL ALL STAR team.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 24, 2015, 04:50:25 AM
I look at the standings and league leaders every once in awhile.  Today I noticed there are 2 NL players near the top in each of the Triple Crown categories:

Paul Goldschmidt (AZ) is leading in batting (.356), 4th in HRs (19), and tied for second in RBIs (57)

Bryce Harper (WA) is third in batting (.345), 2nd in HRs (24), and tied for second in RBIs (57)

Giancarlo Stanton (MIA) leads in HRS and RBIs with 25 and 64, but is out of the running in batting.  Goldschmidt (52) and Harper (50) are also first and tied for second in Runs scored

Eddie, do you know if it is unusual at this point in the season to have 2 guys, in the same league, statistically in the hunt for a Triple Crown?

Even in the "Offensive Explosion"(which was very offensive) steroid years, I don't think two players in the same league were so high in all 3 categories. The BA seems to be the significant difference, in 2012 Josh Hamilton and Miguel Cabrera were high in homers/rbi at this point, but Hamilton's BA was beginning to sink steadily, so his triple crown hopes were fading.

3OctaveFart

Eddie- Do you think Farrell is going to be canned? That team is a shit show.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on June 24, 2015, 08:27:39 AM
Eddie- Do you think Farrell is going to be canned? That team is a shit show.

Should have been fired a month ago, but the Red Sox beat writers are under the impression that John Henry doesn't want to fire him in season. If that's the case, then a 68 to 74 win tally is the likely scenario.

The talent evaluators, which has Bill James sitting at the top of the pyramid, have been wretched lately. Rusney Castillo has instincts that make Yasiel Puig look like Paul Molitor. Clueless player back to AAA(72 Million bust). They literally outbid the market by 20 Million on Hanley Ramirez and are now hoping that there's somebody else dumb enough to take him off their hands(maybe the Mets after they fire Terry Collins?) and for a team that prides itself on knowing advanced metrics, they gave Sandoval and his annual declining OPS+ a contract that already appears onerous.

They gave Rick Porcello an extension of 4 years/80 Million, in early April. He has looked nothing short of awful. I don't blame them for moving Cespedes for him, but to give that extension before he threw a pitch in a regular season game was foolish.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2015, 09:24:59 AM
... they gave Sandoval and his annual declining OPS+ a contract that already appears onerous...

To be fair, they're paying him by the pound. 

The Giants got lucky on this one.  They signed Casey McGehee to play Third, but he's been a flop.  Somehow they came up with Matt Duffy in their system and he's doing well. 

Good for der 'Panda', blasting the team on his way out, he instantly went from fan favorite to who cares.  So long, tubby.

Eddie Coyle

From 1996-2002, each March I bet $200-500 bucks with a co-worker that the next triple crown winner would be a Colorado Rockie. It seemed like a sure thing.

It speaks to the insanity of the era that Larry Walker in '97 hit .366 with 49/130...and lead in only one category. Or that Todd Helton could hit .372 with 42/147 and be 8 homers shy of a Triple Crown in '00, or then hit .336 with 49/146 in 2001...and not lead in any of the 3 categories.

Good thing the guy I bet with was making similar bets about .400 hitters. He was convinced Nomar would hit .400...or a Rockie would.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 24, 2015, 10:34:26 AM
To be fair, they're paying him by the pound. 

The Giants got lucky on this one.  They signed Casey McGehee to play Third, but he's been a flop.  Somehow they came up with Matt Duffy in their system and he's doing well. 

Good for der 'Panda' blasting the team on his way out, he instantly went from fan favorite to who cares.  So long, tubby.

If he hits his weight in 2017, then he'll win the batting crown by 30 points. What a moose...who's made 11 errors and it should be closer to 18. He is beginning to hear boobirds.

The "I'll miss nobody but Bochy and Pence" comments set off alarms with some writers/hosts in Boston. It didn't augur good things...and quite a few people have noted that he's the first one out of the clubhouse, especially after a loss.

ShayP

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2015, 10:36:50 AM

From 1996-2002, each March I bet $200-500 bucks with a co-worker that the next triple crown winner would be a Colorado Rockie. It seemed like a sure thing.

It speaks to the insanity of the era that Larry Walker in '97 hit .366 with 49/130...and lead in only one category. Or that Todd Helton could hit .372 with 42/147 and be 8 homers shy of a Triple Crown in '00, or then hit .336 with 49/146 in 2001...and not lead in any of the 3 categories.

Good thing the guy I bet with was making similar bets about .400 hitters. He was convinced Nomar would hit .400...or a Rockie would.

That's a tough bet, with the previous winner being Yaz in '67 (until Cabrera's in 2012).   Then again, it's been much longer since Ted Williams hit .406..

To this day, it seems an oddity Yastrzemski won the batting crown in '68 with a .301, the runner up that year hit .290

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 24, 2015, 10:50:07 AM
That's a tough bet, with the previous winner being Yaz in '67 (until Cabrera's in 2012).   Then again, it's been much longer since Ted Williams hit .406..

To this day, it seems an oddity Yastrzemski won the batting crown in '68 with a .301, the runner up that year hit .290

My degenerate gambler period was 1990-2005. But even I was skeptical of a .400 hitter. Gwynn was certainly on the cusp in '94, and Matt Williams had a shot at 62 homers. The only hitter in recent times I thought .400 was possible was Joe Mauer in the Metrodome. Like Brett in '80, he wasn't going to play 162(more like 135) and had a great eye. I scoffed at my pal's "Nomar will hit .400" simply because he often swung at pitch 1 or 2.

Yaz's .301 coming in The Year of the Pitcher, which lead to lowering of the mound...Reggie's league leading the AL in '73 with 32 homers and 99 runs seems improbable now as well.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2015, 11:04:55 AM
... Gwynn was certainly on the cusp in '94, and Matt Williams had a shot at 62 homers...

Ah yes, the 1994 season.  This is a great year for baseball, the personal record chases, close pennant races shaping up in most of the divisions.  Hey I know, let's shut it down.  Screw the fans, let's go home.  No record chases, no pennant races, no World Series

After 20-30 games a year for years, I've been to one game since - on a free ticket - because I wanted to see the new SF ballpark.  It didn't help that the steroid era and all the phony stats was the follow up act, or that jerk Barry Bonds playing for SF.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 24, 2015, 11:20:38 AM
Ah yes, the 1994 season.  This is a great year for baseball, the personal record chases, close pennant races shaping up in most of the divisions.  Hey I know, let's shut it down.  Screw the fans, let's go home.  No record chases, no pennant races, no World Series

After 20-30 games a year for years, I've been to one game since - on a free ticket - because I wanted to see the new SF ballpark.  It didn't help that the steroid era and all the phony stats was the follow up act, or that jerk Barry Bonds playing for SF.

I remember thinking, "these assholes will be back by Labor Day"...but when that passed(9/5) it became clear to me that there would be no playoffs. My attitude became if they don't care, why the fuck should I.

Due to Boys Club/CYO and the Red Sox desperate to fill their bleachers/RF grandstand, I was able to attend about 40-50 games annually from 1987-1991. I haven't been in that ballpark since summer '92, despite my living about 4 miles from it...and walking behind The Green Monster about 8-10 times a month. I've no urge.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2015, 11:49:28 AM
... My attitude became if they don't care, why the fuck should I...

... I haven't been in that ballpark since summer '92... I've no urge.

My feelings exactly.

3OctaveFart

I am a 10-minute walk from my yard and used to go to a dozen games a year, but I just don't see the point with the televised experience what it is. This isn't 1985 anymore.
I'll watch baseball on Extra Innings and in my man cave, a few short steps from where the beer is colder, better and much cheaper, and where I don't have to sit around douchebags who can't hold their own drink.
And NFL? Forget about it. My daughter will never go and be among that spawn of Australopithecus.
Sport's paying crowd is going to become obsolete in our lifetimes.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 24, 2015, 09:24:59 AM
   Should have been fired a month ago, but the Red Sox beat writers are under the impression that John Henry doesn't want to fire him in season. If that's the case, then a 68 to 74 win tally is the likely scenario.

They gave Rick Porcello an extension of 4 years/80 Million, in early April. He has looked nothing short of awful. I don't blame them for moving Cespedes for him, but to give that extension before he threw a pitch in a regular season game was foolish.

Cespedes has been good in Detroit. Essentially the Tigers had to trade him to fill a hole in the lineup. Porcello was only under contract for another year and with verlander, Sanchez and hopes to re-sign Price the Tigers couldn't afford to keep him, as the starting rotation is already costing a small fortune.

Porcello is a guy who didn't get enough time in the minors I think. Ground ball pitcher who needs a good defense around him, can eat a lot of inning. He is never going to have a super low ERA or strike a ton out, but he should be decent not sure why he is struggling. I know in the past he has tried to get away from his sinker and that led to some issues.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 20, 2015, 11:19:21 PM
This isn't baseball but WTF was Nancy Pelosi doing riding along in the Warriors celebration parade?  She represents San Francisco, not Oakland.  I think SF mayor Ed Lee might have been there too, but he isn't nearly as reprehensible.

Politicians soiled the parade for me. Especially when they decided to take the stage and speak. We weren't there for them, we were there for a Basketball team that worked together and won a championship. Some people have waited 40 years for this parade. It was hot, I have 3 boys that wanted to see Curry and Green and Kerr, not owners and politicians grabbing coattails and getting on TV. Fans turned quickly, started booing some folks.

Have to say that Oakland had their shit together. It was much easier getting in and out and I saw zero problems for this parade. Went to the second Giants parade annnnd never again.

As for Tabata, let's check his HBP numbers at the end of the season. Guessing it will be a career year for him in that department.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Meatie Pie on June 24, 2015, 12:00:18 PM
And NFL? Forget about it. My daughter will never go and be among that spawn of Australopithecus.
Sport's paying crowd is going to become obsolete in our lifetimes.

I'm hoping that the NFL in 2040 is what boxing is now. The NFL/NCAA need a humbling.
Quote from: nooryisawesome on June 24, 2015, 12:00:45 PM

Porcello is a guy who didn't get enough time in the minors I think. Ground ball pitcher who needs a good defense around him, can eat a lot of inning. He is never going to have a super low ERA or strike a ton out, but he should be decent not sure why he is struggling. I know in the past he has tried to get away from his sinker and that led to some issues.

The sinker isn't sinking and the point about being a ground ball pitcher is vital. Outside of Pedroia, the other 3 Sox infielders are average/below average. The sox trading Iglesias making that even funnier. Porcello's worst habit is allowing runs immediately after the Sox score for him. He did it saturday in KC. They give him 4-1 lead in top 5th, and he allows 5 in bottom of inning.

3OctaveFart

FIFA got popped like a zit. The NCAA is next and will elicit 10 times the Ewok celebration.
Football is on its way to being litigated out of the society. Youth participation is already (albeit slowly) beginning to wane.

I would love to see a major league fold.  Don't care which one goes first

albrecht

Congratulations to UVA. CWS winners!
(banned) various chants and even State and historical songs, flags,and so on. But good they got over the concocted, and apparently proven fake, gangrapes and other allegations against Fraternities there-  why not focus on the the baseball? Thankfully, EPSN did! Surprised none of this "Old South" or flag stuff wasn't mentioned though, considering.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on June 24, 2015, 04:50:25 AM

Not Eddie, but I think Braun and Kemp were in this situation a few years back.

Other than that some combination of 90s Frank Thomas/Albert Belle/Edgar Martinez. Frank Thomas especially was a guy that was hitting .340 year after year with 40 HRs.