• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

What a crazy year for baseball...

Started by pate, October 01, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Gifs?

Bob Gibson taking care of Bill Freehan

GravitySucks

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on April 05, 2020, 03:40:20 PM
I actually caught the last 2-3 innings of Larson’s perfect game at a hamburger joint called Ski’s where I stopped for a milkshake on my way home from school. 

https://youtu.be/i1aUAw6fjd8

Yogi Berra caught the whole game.

Kidnostad3

1978 AL East one-game playoff between the Redsox and Yankees.  My dad attended the game at Fenway Park.  He was a Yankee fan and I am a Redsox Fan.  He framed the ticket stubs and never failed to call my attention to them every time I payed a visit.  Just sayin. 

https://youtu.be/0tl7xW4Oxo0

Kidnostad3

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 05, 2020, 03:59:56 PM
Yogi Berra caught the whole game.

“If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”   Yogi was one hell of a catcher and philosopher.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Kidnostad3 on April 05, 2020, 06:36:41 PM
“If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”   Yogi was one hell of a catcher and philosopher.

And a truly funny guy.

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 04, 2020, 04:15:47 PM
No because dumb hoarder fucks bought up all the flour.  I can manage a couple loaves of Swedish rye and maybe hot cross  buns for Good Friday with the sweepings from the pantry, plus or minus a few weevils.

No shit, I wanted to make a loaf of whole wheat with some of my neighbor's honey from last year's hive the other day and was out of w.w. flour.  Didn't realize that fact until I grabbed the whole wheat bucket and found it empty...  I subbed in rye flour for whole wheat in my recipe, was a sad loaf;  not enough gluten I think.  Tasty, but dense.  Anyhow, on my next trip to the grocery store found the flour shelves completely bare.

Next few trips same story, although the shelves to the side with all the shitty "gluten-free" substitute flours were fully stocked...  I guess those gluten-free bastards are all dead, or the fakers didn't hold to their guns.

I have every damn flour, except whole wheat dammit.  Cake, pastry, AP, unbleached-AP, bread, and rye.  But no damn whole wheat, fucking hoarders probably don't even know what to do with their 100lbs of Whole Wheat and it is just sitting there in their pantry gathering dust.

I hope they die of CornHoleEbola in the most painful and extended way possible.

Speaking of corn, I noticed that Corn Meal was available in abundance...

Not sure what this has to do with baseball, but who gives a shit?

-p

K_Dubb

Quote from: pate on April 05, 2020, 11:01:42 PM

I hope they die of CornHoleEbola in the most painful and extended way possible.

Now I am among the gentlest of creatures but I will own I had some distinctly uncharitable thoughts right about then.

Most rye breads are at least half regular flour, precisely for the reason you mentioned.  I have had some good results adding Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten to pure rye, though.  And there is a type of rye flour I get at the Russian grocery that must be the rye version of white flour or bleached or something that will yield a high and dry loaf on its own but I can't read anything on the package and had to have the lady point it out to me.

Incidentally, I believe I saw reported in her thread that our very own Heather Wade is one of the perpetrators.  I hope she likes pancakes.

pate

Quote from: K_Dubb on April 05, 2020, 11:20:19 PM
Now I am among the gentlest of creatures but I will own I had some distinctly uncharitable thoughts right about then.

Most rye breads are at least half regular flour, precisely for the reason you mentioned.  I have had some good results adding Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten to pure rye, though.  And there is a type of rye flour I get at the Russian grocery that must be the rye version of white flour or bleached or something that will yield a high and dry loaf on its own but I can't read anything on the package and had to have the lady point it out to me.

Incidentally, I believe I saw reported in her thread that our very own Heather Wade is one of the perpetrators.  I hope she likes pancakes.

Fresh out of the Vital Wheat Gluten, as well.  The grocery store is as well, and has been.  I think it is a supply chain issue, in "normal" times there are only one or two crazy bread makers like us buying all that stuff, and I doubt you ever buy that "gluten-free" flour crap.  I know I don't.

Anyhow, back to the supply chain;  all the flour is made from wheat, and most of it goes to the industrial bread makers, very little of the "specialty" flours get boxed into 1-2lb packages for individual consumers simply because there isn't a demand for it.

I imagine, if you were to attempt to purchase a 25-50lb bag of wheat, rye, vital wheat gluten, cake or whatever flour;  you would not have trouble with that, IF you could find an "industrial" supplier willing to sell a single bag or two...

I guess that is "the rub."  Do you know any restauranteurs that you could have add the flour you need to their regular weekly order?  SYSCO (& other restaurant procurement companies better than SYSCO) probably have the flours you are looking for, although in bulk...

Just a thought.

-p

Kidnostad3

Ted Williams’ bat hits woman in stands

I was watching the game on TV in which Ted Williams threw a bat after taking a called strike in the 3rd inning and hit a woman in the stands,   Towards the end of his career fans would boo and yell at Williams unmercifully when he struck out and even when he walked.  Why?  Because that's what Sox fans do.  Williams had a temper.  I was in the stands once when he shot the crowd the  bird.  He would also throw bats and the standing joke was that he held several stadium bat throw records. 

I really felt for the guy.   Of course he was shocked and mortified by the incident and immediately ran over to the woman to render assistance.   She was not badly hurt and was very gracious at the time and when she was released after spending the night in a hospital for observation.  As far as I know there was never a law suit. 

Williams was one of the all time greats.  One wonders how much greater he might have been in terms of stats if he hadn't served  in combat as a fighter pilot in WWII and again in Korea and missed several seasons when he was in his prime.   It's interesting that I could not find one YT video dealing specifically with the incident and only a few articles.  I like to think that it's out of a sense of respect. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/1958/09/22/ted-williams-bat-hits-woman-stands/xDgSaHRhJOI4aL7IrwuVUM/story.html

Kidnostad3

When sitting around this morning drinking coffee and waiting to be overwhelmed by a powerful wave of ambition enabling me to get up and do what has to done around here, I ran across these which I found interesting.  (Still waiting for the ambition to show up.)

https://youtu.be/907bGTXy2rU

https://youtu.be/Q-sjudc3oCE

pate

I have been delving deep into the rules, these games were all scheduled, I guess they count as "rain delays"?  How many double header make-up games will it be?

I suppose this becomes like the numbers game near the end of the season to make the play-offs, how long does this go on before it becomes mathematically impossible to have a full season?

Is there some in-field fly rule that can "cure" this thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Nautical Shore...

-p

albrecht

What a strange Opening Day. Some elf throwing out a wild, very wild, first pitch from cardboard cutouts in stands and no fans. To BLM propaganda to anti-American kneeling by some teams and people.

And weird rule changes. I think, like the politicians, institutions, banks, social movements etc that BB management is "not letting a good crisis go to waste" and some of these changes will stick. Some won't, assuming we get back to a non Corona-Chan life. Certainly they would want real fans back at some point. The 3 batter minimum deal might go. Or not they want shorter games. Idk one reason BB is cool is because no clock. But, yes, it can get ridiculous, and especially modern attention spans. DH is likely here to stay I guess. Sorta sucks. That extra innings start on 2nd seems like some LL rule.

MLB should've kept season, starting a bit late maybe. They have natural distancing in the game (for the most part.) And would've had a totally captive audience. Everyone on lock-down. No sports on tv. Other sports already over (or stopped.) Corona-Chan could've been a boon for them.

pate

Quote from: albrecht on July 24, 2020, 09:11:37 PM
What a strange Opening Day. Some elf throwing out a wild, very wild, first pitch from cardboard cutouts in stands and no fans. To BLM propaganda to anti-American kneeling by some teams and people.

And weird rule changes. I think, like the politicians, institutions, banks, social movements etc that BB management is "not letting a good crisis go to waste" and some of these changes will stick. Some won't, assuming we get back to a non Corona-Chan life. Certainly they would want real fans back at some point. The 3 batter minimum deal might go. Or not they want shorter games. Idk one reason BB is cool is because no clock. But, yes, it can get ridiculous, and especially modern attention spans. DH is likely here to stay I guess. Sorta sucks. That extra innings start on 2nd seems like some LL rule.

MLB should've kept season, starting a bit late maybe. They have natural distancing in the game (for the most part.) And would've had a totally captive audience. Everyone on lock-down. No sports on tv. Other sports already over (or stopped.) Corona-Chan could've been a boon for them.

Hah.  I like to imagine that a certain modest proposal was displayed on the big scoreboard for the cardboard cut-outs to ooo, ah and awww over.

Heh.

I feel like I should leave my silly hat off for some reason.

-p

Dr. MD MD

I’m watching a MLB game with no crowd and yet they’re playing crowd sounds for our benefit? The players? WTF?! :-\

ShayP

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 25, 2020, 01:42:37 PM
I’m watching a MLB game with no crowd and yet they’re playing crowd sounds for our benefit? The players? WTF?! :-\

The concept is absurd.

albrecht

Quote from: ShayP on July 25, 2020, 02:15:34 PM
The concept is absurd.
It is like a "laugh track" from old tv shows. And just as lame.

At least the Koreans in their weirdness added cheerleaders to baseball.  With no fans in attendance. Wearing face masks. Which considering their skimpy outfits and costumes was pretty nice, like a Candy Striper look. I'd rather have that than all the BLM sloganeering and anti-American kneelings.

ShayP

Quote from: albrecht on July 25, 2020, 02:22:39 PM
It is like a "laugh track" from old tv shows. And just as lame.

At least the Koreans in their weirdness added cheerleaders to baseball.  With no fans in attendance. Wearing face masks. Which considering their skimpy outfits and costumes was pretty nice, like a Candy Striper look. I'd rather have that than all the BLM sloganeering and anti-American kneelings.

Totally agree with you.

AvDaBr

Been a fan of the big three sports since the time I was eight or so, and of the three major sports leagues in particular.  I have lost some passion as I've aged, especially for basketball and to a lesser extent baseball.  They all seem to be doing their level best to drive me away permanently.

Dr. MD MD

They’ve actually got cut-out cardboard people placed in the seats behind home plate. Get me off of this planet, please!

Rix Gins

Have they stenciled BLM between the bases?

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 25, 2020, 03:31:27 PM

No...but I’m sure that they will now that you mentioned it.

Rix Gins

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on July 25, 2020, 03:32:40 PM
No...but I’m sure that they will now that you mentioned it.

Ha. Thankfully I don't carry any weight in that department.  But I wonder if the powers that be have given it any thought?

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on July 25, 2020, 03:31:27 PM
Dodgers had it on the mound, I think. I couldn't tell if it was actually on there or projected/CGI because it didn't seem to get marred. I didn't watch the whole game though. I heard Boston put BLM up on the Green Monster. Also some teams almost all did the anti-American kneeling but others didn't. Depended on market. Good on Sam Coonrod, the only player in the Giants/Dodger game to not do the anti-American kneel, and in California -and playing for SF- he better be checking his six because he also said it was because he was a Christian.

Juan

I think Dave Dravecky’s final pitch came closer to the plate than Fauci’s did.

Jackstar

Quote from: AvDaBr on July 25, 2020, 02:31:45 PM
Been a fan of the big three sports since the time I was eight [...] They all seem to be doing their level best to drive me away permanently.

When you find out they're all just as fake as professional wrestling, you're never going back.