• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

We've Lost So Much Antarctic Ice It's Causing A Dip In Earth's Gravity

Started by missing transmission, September 30, 2014, 12:56:24 PM

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 01, 2014, 12:38:58 PM

Guess you missed the memo; climatism is the new communism. Duh.

And there you prove (if more proof were needed) you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. On both counts.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2014, 12:56:29 PM

And there you prove (if more proof were needed) you haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about. On both counts.

Lighten up, Francis.
::)

Gd5150

Quote from: albrecht on October 01, 2014, 11:29:58 AM
so the most important thing is...that we need mo6e government over-sight over our lives and certainly more taxes, laws, and regulations to prevent whatever might be happening. Ideally made at a national, or global, level by unelected bureacrats relying on government funded scientists who develop changing theories.

Absolutely! Preferably from a goberment elected from a 1 party system supported by a media who is in lockstep with that goberment. Following a more cutting edge constitution not based on freedoms, but based on "we the progressives".

I don't even know where to begin with all this, so I will begin by addressing the first post I saw here disputing arctic ice loss and use the same graph I put on another thread.

[attachimg=1]

The sea ice around Antarctica?  If you spend another few seconds looking, you will find the sea temperatures around Antarctica are actually rising while more land ice is being lost than sea ice gained.  Possible reasons include fresh water run off from the land ice lowering the freezing point in the water and interactions between the oceans and atmosphere as a result of changing climate.  It's a complex subject with lots of variables and scientists haven't been able to wave a magic wand and precisely understand what every molecule of the atmosphere and oceans are doing at any given time.  That's why studies are ongoing.

And just look at those studies.  Many thousands in the 21st century that support the conclusion of anthropogenic global warming versus one or two per year that dispute it.  There is scientific consensus.  There is just not a consensus among political writers, but they don't get a say in how the Earth behaves.  If you tell someone outside of America that Al Gore initiated climate change, they won't know what you're talking about.  They'll be too confused to even laugh.  Al Gore was just a politician who tried to bring attention to a process the rest of the world already knew about.  He's not a scientist.  No debate on the authenticity of global warming should have any regard for the opinions of a politician.

And what about funding for scientists?  Oh the funding.  Too bad for that accusation that tenured scientists have job security and don't need funding for bullshit projects.  Too bad for that accusation that most people don't go into science for wealth, popularity, and all the great job opportunities because there isn't much of that.  It's a difficult slog, requiring you to throw away your youth with years upon years of long hours, sleepless nights, no social life, relative poverty, and constant headaches trying to wrap your brain around unintuitive concepts with poor job opportunities and modest pay at the end of it.  People generally go into science because they are altruistic and want to understand, or they want to immortalize their names with some great discovery.  So why don't we have any tenured scientists publishing papers 'exposing' the global warming fraud?  Because there's no fraud.

Damnit, Georgie, don't go gettin' all science-y and stuff on us!  Rush and Sean and Sarah all scoff -- that's good enough for me!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 01, 2014, 01:57:43 PM
I don't even know where to begin with all this, so I will begin by addressing the first post I saw here disputing arctic ice loss and use the same graph I put on another thread.

[attachimg=1]

The sea ice around Antarctica?  If you spend another few seconds looking, you will find the sea temperatures around Antarctica are actually rising while more land ice is being lost than sea ice gained.  Possible reasons include fresh water run off from the land ice lowering the freezing point in the water and interactions between the oceans and atmosphere as a result of changing climate.  It's a complex subject with lots of variables and scientists haven't been able to wave a magic wand and precisely understand what every molecule of the atmosphere and oceans are doing at any given time.  That's why studies are ongoing.

And just look at those studies.  Many thousands in the 21st century that support the conclusion of anthropogenic global warming versus one or two per year that dispute it.  There is scientific consensus.  There is just not a consensus among political writers, but they don't get a say in how the Earth behaves.  If you tell someone outside of America that Al Gore initiated climate change, they won't know what you're talking about.  They'll be too confused to even laugh.  Al Gore was just a politician who tried to bring attention to a process the rest of the world already knew about.  He's not a scientist.  No debate on the authenticity of global warming should have any regard for the opinions of a politician.

And what about funding for scientists?  Oh the funding.  Too bad for that accusation that tenured scientists have job security and don't need funding for bullshit projects.  Too bad for that accusation that most people don't go into science for wealth, popularity, and all the great job opportunities because there isn't much of that.  It's a difficult slog, requiring you to throw away your youth with years upon years of long hours, sleepless nights, no social life, relative poverty, and constant headaches trying to wrap your brain around unintuitive concepts with poor job opportunities and modest pay at the end of it.  People generally go into science because they are altruistic and want to understand, or they want to immortalize their names with some great discovery.  So why don't we have any tenured scientists publishing papers 'exposing' the global warming fraud?  Because there's no fraud.

Yeah but apart from all that, it's a commie plot, and Obama. And Alinsky.

eddie dean

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on October 01, 2014, 01:57:43 PM

[attachimg=1]

Communist!

Seriously though, very well said. I agree 1000%. 

pate

So, tell me why is this topic in the Politics thread, and not the General thread?

Nope, not a commie plot at all...

The *SUN* doesn't rise in the east nor does it set in the west...  And it cannot (that's the *SUN*) be the biggest driver of whatever the latest political scientific theory of why we are all doomed.  Unless it is Bush's fault that is...

Weren't you commies all screeching about a coming Ice Age in the 70s and early 80s?

The Day After Tomorrow Official Trailer

pate

I found a graph that represents all these
Quotecomplex subject with lots of variables
reduced to two axes (that I think is the plural of axis) so the simple minded can follow it...  Here's the *PROOF*:

If you can't read a graph and understand what it tells you, I don't think this graph or any other will help you...

eddie dean

Quote from: pate on October 01, 2014, 02:35:29 PM
I found a graph that represents all these  reduced to two axes (that I think is the plural of axis) so the simple minded can follow it...  Here's the *PROOF*:

If you can't read a graph and understand what it tells you, I don't think this graph or any other will help you...

I see this as proof alright. when one always looks at an issue through a political filter you have lost a significant amount of objectivity.

pate

One of my favorite bands had a song where one of the lines was:

Co-relation is not causation

Supra Genius

here's a bonus track:

Soul Coughing- "Circles"

pate

Holy crap, I'm so done trolling this thread.  I just found some irrefutable evidence of a Dip in Earth's Gravity:

eddie dean

Quote from: pate on October 01, 2014, 05:18:41 PM
Holy crap, I'm so done trolling this thread.  I just found some irrefutable evidence of a Dip in Earth's Gravity:

ahh shit, you broke out the Noory pics! I give. yew win. :)

Quote from: pate on October 01, 2014, 02:20:56 PM
So, tell me why is this topic in the Politics thread, and not the General thread?...

Because it's about politics and has zero to do with science

Zoo

I hope this is the beginning of the end. Oh please let it be!!1

onan

The science is in. The trouble is other issues have been conjoined. That is too bad. Instead of problem solving pollution, green house gasses, and extremely poor management of resources, we are continuously cleaning the mud sling off the real issue.

Instead of being responsible, it is easier to deny. Al Gore is the boogey man.

Quote from: Zoo on October 01, 2014, 06:49:30 PM
I hope this is the beginning of the end. Oh please let it be!!1

You have a very dapper avatar for someone who's so misanthropic.  This suggests to me conflicted mind.  Have you considered a compassionate, competent therapist and maybe a mood-altering prescription?  Not being snarky here, friend... You just don't seem like the caring guy you appeared to be here.

eddie dean

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 01, 2014, 06:17:55 PM

I don't agree. It has a lot to do with science. The solution, if there is one, is political.
It's unfortunate because when politics are involved, little ever gets done.

Zoo

Quote from: West of the Rockies on October 01, 2014, 07:22:01 PM
You have a very dapper avatar for someone who's so misanthropic.  This suggests to me conflicted mind.  Have you considered a compassionate, competent therapist and maybe a mood-altering prescription?  Not being snarky here, friend... You just don't seem like the caring guy you appeared to be here.

The sooner things fall apart the better chance we have to start again and do it right. I have tried and still try to do the right thing but I see like others it is almost impossible to stop this train we are on. It is actually better to speed it up to the end of the line and see if we can survive the "Train Wreck(Radio)" and start again. People are only concerned when they are scared of death or dying. They only listen when it involves their life!!1   

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 01, 2014, 06:17:55 PM

Only for right wing nut jobs who don't know the difference between the two, or who are too intellectually challenged to process the evidence, and thus rely on the right wing media echo chamber to tell them what to think.

I have asked you before - can you provide a link to a single, solitary peer reviewed scientific study that disputes the facts of climate change?  Not one that critiques someone else's study, or questions the methods - but an honest to goodness independent scientific paper, with published data that has been peer reviewed, that proves it isn't happening?

One.

Just one.

Can you?

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2014, 12:27:07 PM
And you keep headbutting it.
The problem is the earth (I know hard to believe) has been through much, much worse. I know one cant believe it but...there were times of ice-ages, the oceans very strong acid, a world of violent volcanic activity, and (very hard to even Imagine) many species that even, get this, - went extinct! Believe-it-or-not even our land masses have moved! Granted, that theory was only "consensus" of scientists a few decades ago about how. So, obviously, only higher taxes and regulation will help! Lets ignore real problems that effect people we can address like over fishing, heavy metal pollution, proper forestry, improving hygiene, nuclear waste, wars,, etc but focus all efforts on making a carbon trading.scheme for financial markets and bankers. Because that will solve the problems for humanity and provide those politicians, bureacrats, and Hollywood stars (with their so small "carbon footprint") instead of us, normal folks.

albrecht

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 01, 2014, 08:30:49 PM
Only for right wing nut jobs who don't know the difference between the two, or who are too intellectually challenged to process the evidence, and thus rely on the right wing media echo chamber to tell them what to think.

I have asked you before - can you provide a link to a single, solitary peer reviewed scientific study that disputes the facts of climate change?  Not one that critiques someone else's study, or questions the methods - but an honest to goodness independent scientific paper, with published data that has been peer reviewed, that proves it isn't happening?

One.

Just one.

Can you?
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01070.x/abstract;jsessionid=29C5434B3CE710D04F213B6DF25F76FC.f03t03
Oh, sorry, I forgot. Changes to the earth are only caused by humans and our dastardly ways. Weird, though. Even before people and even before Ford brought the automobile to the cave-men (or BC comic guys had the wheel!) How could the earth, dare-I-say, even other planets experience "changes" or "disruptions?" I guess Hoagland etc Is right. It was PRIOR humans (or hybrids) that caused earlier "changes." Thanks for enlightening me. Bring on the taxes. Save me.

Zoo

True. The fact is the planet is fine. Life on Earth is what's in trouble. But like most things this is too far advance for most people to understand. So by all means do not listen to science or scenties hell do not listen to anyone. Facts are boring and hard to understand so why bother. God will fix everything so lets go nuts. I am so ready to start helping just let me know when!!1

Quote from: albrecht on October 01, 2014, 08:49:46 PM
The problem is the earth (I know hard to believe) has been through much, much worse. I know one cant believe it but...there were times of ice-ages, the oceans very strong acid, a world of violent volcanic activity, and (very hard to even Imagine) many species that even, get this, - went extinct! Believe-it-or-not even our land masses have moved! Granted, that theory was only "consensus" of scientists a few decades ago about how. So, obviously, only higher taxes and regulation will help! Lets ignore real problems that effect people we can address like over fishing, heavy metal pollution, proper forestry, improving hygiene, nuclear waste, wars,, etc but focus all efforts on making a carbon trading.scheme for financial markets and bankers. Because that will solve the problems for humanity and provide those politicians, bureacrats, and Hollywood stars (with their so small "carbon footprint") instead of us, normal folks.
There are many, many stupid things in this post.  The stupidest is that you think you are normal folks.

Quote from: albrecht on October 01, 2014, 09:09:35 PM
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01070.x/abstract;jsessionid=29C5434B3CE710D04F213B6DF25F76FC.f03t03
Oh, sorry, I forgot. Changes to the earth are only caused by humans and our dastardly ways. Weird, though. Even before people and even before Ford brought the automobile to the cave-men (or BC comic guys had the wheel!) How could the earth, dare-I-say, even other planets experience "changes" or "disruptions?" I guess Hoagland etc Is right. It was PRIOR humans (or hybrids) that caused earlier "changes." Thanks for enlightening me. Bring on the taxes. Save me.
So your position (interesting that the author's of the paper never reach the same conclusion, but whatever) is, in a nutshell:

Climate change is not try because, uh, umm - meteors!

[attachimg=1]

SciFiAuthor

I love how the media runs with this shit before peer review. As far as I can tell, here's how climate change positions form in the public mind:

An effect is noticed by a scientist. The scientist goes to the media or vice versa. The media sensationalizes the effect. It becomes fact in the mind of the reader. The scientist submits his paper for peer review. It is either rejected or accepted several years later after a general consensus forms within the field. No correction is ever issued by the media regardless of the outcome.

You guys don't actually believe in science, you believe in the media.

albrecht

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on October 02, 2014, 05:26:45 AM
So your position (interesting that the author's of the paper never reach the same conclusion, but whatever) is, in a nutshell:

Climate change is not try because, uh, umm - meteors!

[attachimg=1]
Im pretty sure a large meteor hitting the earth could cause some "climate change!" But you green, Gaia worshippers must be almost giddy with ebola. If done right, especially if it could mutate and become airborne,  could help solve this human problem and the earth could finally rid herself of these pesky humans and stop her warming. On the bad side though it would mean no people for you to tax and regulate.