• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

We've Lost So Much Antarctic Ice It's Causing A Dip In Earth's Gravity

Started by missing transmission, September 30, 2014, 12:56:24 PM

"An ESA satellite has spotted something unusual happening in the Antarctic: As the ice has dwindled there over the last five years, they're also seeing a change in the Earth's gravity.

"The GOCE satellite was launched in 2009 to undertake a detailed mapping of Earth's gravity, along with any fluctuations in strength. As researchers recently began analyzing the data they'd received, they noticed something curious: the variations in gravity they were seeing in the Antarctic were mirrored by the changes in ice as the collapse of the ice sheet there accelerated."

Sources
io9.com
European Space Agency

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on September 30, 2014, 01:00:06 PM
Kind of a misleading article title, but interesting nonetheless.

I thought the "dip" was caused by all the shrinking gray matter in all of Noory's devout listeners. 

And it appears California's Ongoing Drought is also linked To Climate Change

"Using a sophisticated combination of computer simulations and statistical techniques, scientists at Stanford University have shown that the extreme atmospheric conditions associated with California's lengthy drought are likely caused by today's global warming conditions."

Sources
io9(again)
Stanford News

I wonder if any of us will live to see the day when the issue of climate change is truly decided upon and consensus formed...  Will we all one day agree that Al Gore is fat and climate change is a grand hoax to pad the wallets of hippie scientists, or will we agree that we are turning our only home into a not-so-easybake oven?  Inquiring minds want to know....

Yorkshire pud

Alinsky..definitely.. Or liberals. No...Commies. Or illegal immigrants. But it won't be scientists and climatology. Damn data.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2014, 09:17:31 AM
Alinsky..definitely.. Or liberals. No...Commies. Or illegal immigrants. But it won't be scientists and climatology. Damn data.

Shouldn't you be under water by now? 

Due to Global (fill in whatever the current term is), we Californians will be taxed at a higher rate come January, so we'll be ok.  No confusing climate and weather here, no siree.  Or is that climate and temperature?  Or temperature and weather?  Wait, hot and cold - that's it, we aren't confusing hot and cold here.

albrecht

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 01, 2014, 09:43:12 AM

Due to Global (fill in whatever the current term is), we Californians will be taxed at a higher rate come January, so we'll be ok.  No confusing climate and weather here, no siree.  Or is that climate and temperature?  Or temperature and weather?  Wait, hot and cold - that's it, we aren't confusing hot and cold here.
Science doesn't matter. Call it whatever you wish. The ski is falling but, the good news is, as long as you are taxed more and have to deal with more regulations and government bureaucracy then whatever the climate problem (it changes every few years: freezing, warming, or disruption) will be solved. Because higher taxes, more regulation, and less freedom will solve any problem.

b_dubb

I believe the Daily Mail is intended for the bottom of animal cages.  Certainly not a peer reviewed scientific journal.

But how about those scientists and their conspiracy to pad their bank accounts with "global warming"?  I just used my iPhone - made of alloys and space age polymers with teeny tiny printed circuits and such - to read several web sites - hosted on computers made of similar materials and executing millions of commands every second - that indicate scientists are really just used car salesmen with fancy white coats.  Yep.  Science is bullshit.  Now I have to take my anti-biotics and decongestant for this bacterial infection that my doctor diagnosed using cultures grown in a lab.

eddie dean

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 01, 2014, 09:49:42 AM
Wow! Looks like the Arctic ice is also doing well. Better call Algore.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2738653/Stunning-satellite-images-summer-ice-cap-thicker-covers-1-7million-square-kilometres-MORE-2-years-ago-despite-Al-Gore-s-prediction-ICE-FREE-now.html

Really? you consider daily mail's David Rose a credible source do you. He is a hatchet man. A fixer. A liar. I wouldn't believe a single thing that guy says.

http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/climate-change-deniers-just-who-is-daily-mail-reporter-david-rose/

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/2010/01/29/rosegate-scandal-still-growing/

Neither the BS artist D.Rose or the fathead former politician A.Gore are climate scientists. It's probably not wise to base an opinion, either way, because of the BS they sling.

Gd5150

The global warming disruption campaign was created by this Dip in the Earth's gravity.

[attachimg=1]

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on October 01, 2014, 09:43:12 AM

I think you need to lie down. You're all mixed up.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 01, 2014, 11:07:17 AM
BBC work fer ya?

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-25383373

Sure:

But scientists caution against reading too much into one year's "recovery".
"Although the recovery of Arctic sea ice is certainly welcome news, it has to be considered against the backdrop of changes that have occurred over the last few decades," said Prof Andy Shepherd of University College London, UK.
"It's estimated that there were around 20,000 cu km of Arctic sea ice each October in the early 1980s, and so today's minimum still ranks among the lowest of the past 30 years," he told BBC News.

Keep in mind, that was a year ago. It`s continued on an upward trend.  ;)

Calling Algore!

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 01, 2014, 11:13:37 AM
Keep in mind, that was a year ago. It`s continued on an upward trend.  ;)

Calling Algore!

But still less than it used to be by a significant amount.

Gd5150

But it's fine to use the 1 year long droubt in CA as evidence of warming global disruption change man-made.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2014, 11:16:04 AM
But still less than it used to be by a significant amount.

The last two years have seen a significant rebound in Arctic ice levels.

Antarctic ice levels are at all-time record levels!

What`s the problem?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Gd5150 on October 01, 2014, 11:18:31 AM

But it's fine to use the 1 year long droubt in CA as evidence of warming global disruption change man-made.

Take it up with FtF; he posted the link to support his view. I just quoted it.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: FightTheFuture on October 01, 2014, 11:21:42 AM

The last two years have seen a significant rebound in Arctic ice levels.

Antarctic ice levels are at all-time record levels!

What`s the problem?

Well: rising sea temperatures, extinction of animals, extending deserts, violent changes in climate ( floods, wetter and warmer winters in Europe), and other stuff you'll say is just liberal commie scientists making stuff up. However, I think the climate scientists have probably got more of a handle on it than you. Just a guess.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on October 01, 2014, 11:22:43 AM
Take it up with FtF; he posted the link to support his view. I just quoted it.
I wouldn't read too much into any this. Some "prominent" scientists thought there was a hollow earth a few centuries ago, now people like that can only be found on late night AM talk radio. Plate tectonics wasn't even accepted until the late 60's. Theories are always being tested, changed, and developed. That is science. It is not a static thing, so the most important thing is (whether is the new ice-age, the global warming, or the latest climate disruption) is that we need mo6e government over-sight over our lives and certainly more taxes, laws, and regulations to prevent whatever might be happening. Ideally made at a national, or global, level by unelected bureacrats relying on government funded scientists who develop changing theories.