• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How long did Art do Dreamland for?

Started by henge0stone, September 04, 2014, 03:46:51 PM

henge0stone

I'm just wondering. The archives doesn't have any past 96. Another thing about Dreamland is both The Quickening and The Source mention how Art talked  about paranormal topics in Dreamland but say basically nothing about C2C. When did Coast start to deal primarily with the paranormal? Going back to the archive it seems like 95-96 is when  more topics came along. 93 and 94 had a few though.

Morgus

The show that later became called Dreamland started as "Area 2000" in Las Vegas around 1990 according to Linda Howe.
That was Art's Sunday night show with Linda Howe for an hour followed by a 2 hour guest interview.
It lasted until Art's first "retirement" in 1998 when he passed the show to current host Whitley Strieber.
During the early to mid 1990s the weeknight c2cam shows were mostly open lines with a guest once in a while and were mostly politics topics back then with the paranormal guests on the weekend Dreamland.
In the mid 1990s however Art started to sneak in a few of the paranormal guests and topics on some c2cam shows and that increased rapidly thru the later 1990s.
The old 1990s archives were probably from the old audionet/broadcast.com free real audio streams, but they probably stopped in the late 1990s.

jazmunda

On a recent classic show listened to someone called and asked Art why he started with the paranormal topics instead of politics and he said that in addition to him being fed up with political talk he said whenever he had any paranormal topics on the air the phones would light up with callers wanting to share their experiences.

Tarbaby

Jezus!! I remember dreamland! I had forgotten all about it until I just saw this thread.

henge0stone

Anyone know where I could find a good Dreamland archive?

jazmunda

Quote from: henge0stone on September 04, 2014, 07:45:13 PM
Anyone know where I could find a good Dreamland archive?

If it's not in the torrent archive then it isn't publicly available. You can try YouTube but those shows are probably in the torrent archive anyway.

If you find a repository let us know.

dan7800

Dreamland was a quality show. I wish Art would have come back and done a weekly show like that, even once a week for Sirius. Quality over quantity.

Wintermute

In a few ways, Dreamland was a better show than C2C. And I think people forget that recorded broadcasts were distributed online... early adoption of the basis of podcasting really (minus syndication).

jazmunda

Quote from: Wintermute on September 05, 2014, 07:15:45 AM
In a few ways, Dreamland was a better show than C2C. And I think people forget that recorded broadcasts were distributed online... early adoption of the basis of podcasting really (minus syndication).

Was the Dreamland show not live to air? I knew Art didn't take calls but I never thought it was recorded earlier.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on September 05, 2014, 07:34:55 AM
Was the Dreamland show not live to air? I knew Art didn't take calls but I never thought it was recorded earlier.

it was live. and if art got bored with a guest he would take calls for the guest.

phrodo

I loved Dreamland .. that trippy bumper music - The Oh of Pleasure - perfectly set the mood for some incredible shows. 

ksm32

Quote from: Morgus on September 04, 2014, 05:17:31 PM
The show that later became called Dreamland started as "Area 2000" in Las Vegas around 1990 according to Linda Howe.
That was Art's Sunday night show with Linda Howe for an hour followed by a 2 hour guest interview.
It lasted until Art's first "retirement" in 1998 when he passed the show to current host Whitley Strieber.
During the early to mid 1990s the weeknight c2cam shows were mostly open lines with a guest once in a while and were mostly politics topics back then with the paranormal guests on the weekend Dreamland.
In the mid 1990s however Art started to sneak in a few of the paranormal guests and topics on some c2cam shows and that increased rapidly thru the later 1990s.
The old 1990s archives were probably from the old audionet/broadcast.com free real audio streams, but they probably stopped in the late 1990s.

You're awesome Morgus. always a wealth of information, I've always thought that and never said it.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: phrodo on September 08, 2014, 10:32:45 PM
I loved Dreamland .. that trippy bumper music - The Oh of Pleasure - perfectly set the mood for some incredible shows.

It was a great show. The atmosphere was awesome. I'd always look forward to Sunday evenings back then.

henge0stone

Quote from: phrodo on September 08, 2014, 10:32:45 PM

Yeah that bumper music was awesome, I also liked the Linda Howe reports, really made you feel like there was stuff happening out there. I wish there was a really good collection out there somewhere. I think Dreamland is what made Art the 'paranormal guy'. People on Coast would hear of Dreamland or hear it and know that Art wouldn't ridicule such stories.