• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Microsoft will merge all versions of Windows into one unified operating system

Started by wr250, July 24, 2014, 07:54:17 AM

wr250

Microsoft will merge separate versions of Windows into one unified operating system
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has confirmed that his company will amalgamate all major versions of Windows into one operating system. Speaking on the company's quarterly earnings call today, Nadella told analysts Microsoft will "streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating system." Describing the implications of the change, Nadella said "this means one operating system that covers all screen sizes."
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/22/5928219/microsoft-will-merge-windows-into-one-os

Yorkshire pud

How can you trust a company that employs someone who comes out with this pretentious nonsense? Does she even know what this bollox means?
"During the quarter, we reassessed our product roadmap and decided not to ship a new form factor that was under development," said Amy Hood, the company's chief financial officer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28440288

basswood

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 24, 2014, 08:28:43 AM
How can you trust a company that employs someone who comes out with this pretentious nonsense? Does she even know what this bollox means?

You don't have to trust them, silly, you just have to buy them.

onan

Quote from: basswood on July 24, 2014, 09:45:57 AM
You don't have to trust them, silly, you just have to buy them.

Luckily, the free market gives us several other options that are just as inclusive with all varieties of software.

cweb

They should call it "Windows Software Unified eXistence" or Windows SUX.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on July 24, 2014, 09:49:14 AM
Luckily, the free market gives us several other options that are just as inclusive with all varieties of software.

Damn you Macman.!!!

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 24, 2014, 08:28:43 AM
Because Amy Hood is really "thinking outside of the box" (throw in any other tired business-speak buzzwords.)

Gd5150

"The Microsoft boss didn't clarify exactly how Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox will be unified"

Hahahahahahahahahaha! That isn't the problem idiots! The problem is Windows 8 is an epic fail and people want back their Windows XP and Windows 7. This company is the biggest bloated pile of excrement. They haven't invented anything new since the Clinton Admin. Thank God for Apple.

The more they tighten their grip, the more computers systems slip through their fingers.

Catsmile

No, Microsoft Isn't Scaling Back to One Version of Windows for All Devices

"...  The cause of confusion stems from Nadella saying, "We will streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating systems for screens of all sizes." However, he would later clarify that he was referring to the engineering approach -- having a single team work on all versions of Windows, each of which is built around a common core.
"We will have multiple SKUs for enterprises, we will have for OEM, we will have for end-users. And so we will be disclosing and talking about our SKUs as we get further along, but my statement was more to do with how we are bringing teams together to approach Windows as one ecosystem very differently than we ourselves have done in the past," Nadella clarified. ..."

http://www.maximumpc.com/no_microsoft_isnt_scaling_back_one_version_windows_all_devices_2014

Catsmile

Full disclosure, I'm no Micro$oft fanboi.
They have plenty to be slammed over.
Just clearing up what "Nutella" meant.

wr250

Juan

Now Nutella is talking about marketing and sales, not engineering.

b_dubb

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on July 24, 2014, 07:54:17 AM
...Nadella told analysts Microsoft will "streamline the next version of Windows from three operating systems into one single converged operating system." ...

Omg that sounds friggin horrible.  It's gonna look like what those jokers at gmail did to their once beautiful interface - now it's all a bunch of ugly cryptic icons and tiny windows and tabs etc. for itty-bitty smartphones.  I actually like my big widescreen monitor.  I can read stuff on it.  Frig I hate those guys.

analog kid

They were supposed to be moving towards cloud based with 9. No idea if it's still being planned. But I wouldn't want any part of my OS residing somewhere other than my computer.

Quote from: onan on July 24, 2014, 09:49:14 AM

This is Microsoft... Resistance is futile.  Sooner or later, you will be assimilated.

zeebo

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 25, 2014, 09:37:17 AM
This is Microsoft... Resistance is futile.  Sooner or later, you will be assimilated.

The way they keep re-assimilating me is I always end up needing apps for work that won't run on linux.  If not for that I'd have left the Gates Cube a long time ago.

WOTR

Quote from: analog kid on July 25, 2014, 06:27:21 AM
They were supposed to be moving towards cloud based with 9. No idea if it's still being planned. But I wouldn't want any part of my OS residing somewhere other than my computer.
Now I understand why you have analog in your handle... Luddite!  If Microsoft should decide to host your OS on their servers you should be thankful they are streamlining the installation.  Think of all the space on your hard drive this will free up and how much easier it will make it for the poor NSA to protect you. 

Best of all, they could probably start giving away Microsoft office products for free- you could just pay them a monthly maintenance fee.  They could "help" you by installing all of the updates and security patches for you.  Also, they would no longer have to worry about people wanting to keep running XP- it would just "disappear" when Microsoft deemed it to be time.  Finally, think of the poor billionaires.  Right now there are pirated, illegal copies of their software residing on computers around the world.  They NEED that money back!

This seems like a "win / win"  (Man, I hate that term.)

albrecht

Im still running XP. Sometimes I wonder if "they" know. Im getting a lot of scammer calls about wanting to "help" me and my computer is compromised. The guys spoof numbers on caller-id and most can barely speak English. Some hangup when I mistakenly answer (Im guess auto dialers n if phone bank of scammers in Bombay are busy it hangs up to try again later n moves the number into a "known good" # queue for a call back) Does anybody really fall for these scams? I guess elderly? But they couldnt likely understand the heavy accents?

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on July 26, 2014, 08:52:02 PM
Im still running XP. Sometimes I wonder if "they" know. Im getting a lot of scammer calls about wanting to "help" me and my computer is compromised. The guys spoof numbers on caller-id and most can barely speak English. Some hangup when I mistakenly answer (Im guess auto dialers n if phone bank of scammers in Bombay are busy it hangs up to try again later n moves the number into a "known good" # queue for a call back) Does anybody really fall for these scams? I guess elderly? But they couldnt likely understand the heavy accents?

they dont. i got one of those calls here at home once, there isnt a winders machine here...