• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Carbon dioxide levels highest for 800,000 years.

Started by missing transmission, July 08, 2014, 02:01:50 PM

Yorkshire pud

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28454709

Researchers from the British Antarctic Survey say environmental change is impacting on the survival of seals.

The researchers found that fur seals in South Georgia - north of the Antarctic Peninsula - appear to be suffering from a reduction in their food source - tiny crustaceans called krill. This is causing pups to be born smaller and for fewer pups to survive to breeding age.

The findings are published in the journal Nature.

Here, Dr Iain Staniland from the British Antarctic Survey explains how 30 years of studying the seals revealed the challenges they are facing.

Maybe it's made up?  :-\

Oh, but plants use CO2, so we're good, right?  Humans need sodium-chloride, so we should be pounding it down by the cupfuls, yes?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: West of the Rockies on July 27, 2014, 01:13:51 PM
Oh, but plants use CO2, so we're good, right?  Humans need sodium-chloride, so we should be pounding it down by the cupfuls, yes?

I guess so buddy...I didn't do much of that book lernin shit. BTW...you have PM.  ;)

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 27, 2014, 01:04:02 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28454709

Maybe it's made up?  :-\
Whatever. People are under stress also. I would deal with that situation first. I wonder how much of these stories and studies are found simply because we are looking. How often in the past has "stress" happened in nature before humans evolved enough to study it and before government grants? Certainly no creatures were "stressed" before people, as clearly humanity is a plague or virus on Gaia.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on July 27, 2014, 01:19:29 PM
Whatever. People are under stress also. I would deal with that situation first. I wonder how much of these stories and studies are found simply because we are looking. How often in the past has "stress" happened in nature before humans evolved enough to study it and before government grants? Certainly no creatures were "stressed" before people, as clearly humanity is a plague or virus on Gaia.

You have heard of Krill? No?

Someone can come along and explain to you where it lies in the food chain, I can't be arsed.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 27, 2014, 01:25:49 PM
You have heard of Krill? No?

Someone can come along and explain to you where it lies in the food chain, I can't be arsed.
Less seals means more sardines, anchovys, and herring for me! But seriously how many of these studies are simply because we are looking and reached a level where a government can give grants. Im sure animals were "stressed" In the past. I even heard that some creatures have gone extinct! Before humans even!

Frankly Im more worried about over fishing and pollution than CO2. At least that is something that we might be able to effect if we try. We are not going to stop a volcano putting out CO2 or stop people and animals breathing (hopefully.)

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on July 27, 2014, 01:45:30 PM
Less seals means more sardines, anchovys, and herring for me! But seriously how many of these studies are simply because we are looking and reached a level where a government can give grants. Im sure animals were "stressed" In the past. I even heard that some creatures have gone extinct! Before humans even!

Frankly Im more worried about over fishing and pollution than CO2. At least that is something that we might be able to effect if we try. We are not going to stop a volcano putting out CO2 or stop people and animals breathing (hopefully.)

Look; you don't get it, so to try and explain would be like trying to teach chess to next door's cat. 

onan

Volcanoes and pollution aren't in a competition.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2014, 02:20:00 PM
Volcanoes and pollution aren't in a competition.

I'm not calling something necessary for life on earth pollution. No matter how many bankers desiring new financial bubbles to exploit tell me so. I'm more worried about real issues and the talk of needing a carbon-trading market rife for speculation, or a global taxation scheme, take away from real problems that we might be able to solve (or at least mitigate) like heavy metal pollution, nuclear waste, over-fishing, droughts, etc.
I just hope all this awful extra CO2 will help my tomatoes grow!

onan

Quote from: albrecht on July 27, 2014, 03:29:47 PM
I'm not calling something necessary for life on earth pollution. No matter how many bankers desiring new financial bubbles to exploit tell me so. I'm more worried about real issues and the talk of needing a carbon-trading market rife for speculation, or a global taxation scheme, take away from real problems that we might be able to solve (or at least mitigate) like heavy metal pollution, nuclear waste, over-fishing, droughts, etc.
I just hope all this awful extra CO2 will help my tomatoes grow!
Even O2 at high levels is toxic. Too much CO2 is not a good thing for us. I don't know what to tell you, except thinking something at increasing levels isn't harmful is bad science.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2014, 03:38:45 PM
Even O2 at high levels is toxic. Too much CO2 is not a good thing for us. I don't know what to tell you, except thinking something at increasing levels isn't harmful is bad science.
Oh, of course. Direct inhalation of CO2 is very bad (although, I guess, it would help solve the "carbon foot-print" problem for that person.) Don't worry. People aren't as important as you lot think when you start to consider the age and time-scale of earth, much less the rest of the universe. I assume my pick-up also caused a warming, sorry a "climate disruption", on other planets. We could probably nuke the whole world and in a few millennia it would be just fine. More importantly though is to take attention away from real problems, that we might be able to handle, and focus on getting a carbon-trading futures trading scheme or some more taxes so that certain rich bankers and governments can make some $$.

onan

Quote from: albrecht on July 27, 2014, 03:44:38 PM
Oh, of course. Direct inhalation of CO2 is very bad (although, I guess, it would help solve the "carbon foot-print" problem for that person.) Don't worry. People aren't as important as you lot think when you start to consider the age and time-scale of earth, much less the rest of the universe. I assume my pick-up also caused a warming, sorry a "climate disruption", on other planets. We could probably nuke the whole world and in a few millennia it would be just fine. More importantly though is to take attention away from real problems, that we might be able to handle, and focus on getting a carbon-trading futures trading scheme or some more taxes so that certain rich bankers and governments can make some $$.

And this is where you went nuts.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2014, 03:49:08 PM
And this is where you went nuts.
And I thought you were some kind of medical professional! Using terms like nuts is very harmful for the understanding of those who have mental or substance challenges which is not a moral failing or a topic that should be derided.  Appalling behavior and if I was "nuts," to use the proper medical term, I would get Obama's minions to get a "hate crime" speech case against you as a protected class and a violation of HIPPA.  ;)  Anyway, you don't think there is a financial motive for the whole carbon is evil campaign? Or the warming, sorry, disruption. Just one article. Many more in addition to the governmental motives of new taxes and regulation.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/11/03/blood-and-gore-making-a-killing-on-anti-carbon-investment-hype/

onan

Quote from: albrecht on July 27, 2014, 04:37:41 PM
And I thought you were some kind of medical professional! Using terms like nuts is very harmful for the understanding of those who have mental or substance challenges which is not a moral failing or a topic that should be derided.  Appalling behavior and if I was "nuts," to use the proper medical term, I would get Obama's minions to get a "hate crime" speech case against you as a protected class and a violation of HIPPA.  ;)  Anyway, you don't think there is a financial motive for the whole carbon is evil campaign? Or the warming, sorry, disruption. Just one article. Many more in addition to the governmental motives of new taxes and regulation.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/11/03/blood-and-gore-making-a-killing-on-anti-carbon-investment-hype/

OFFs I don't have to be therapeutic here, and damn your naivete to believe I should.

And in context you went off the rails here. It has nothing to do with your mental health. Grow the fuck up.

albrecht

Quote from: onan on July 27, 2014, 04:39:34 PM
OFFs I don't have to be therapeutic here, and damn your naivete to believe I should.

And in context you went off the rails here. It has nothing to do with your mental health. Grow the fuck up.
Off to a soccer game so my replies will have to be later but I sense some odd personal problems here. Why the anger and personal attacks instead of focusing on the issues? I don't insult anybody or presume people to be "nuts," to use a medical term, or attack. Or at least I try not to do so. I simply posted some links, which are ignored, and opinions. And those who I have posited some opinions on, like Obama, are public figures. To use another medical term you might be familiar with, I suggest taking a "chill pill." Despite what you believe the CO2 and the warming disruption won't kill you, at least this evening! And neither will those who don't buy the propaganda and post their thoughts on a forum.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on July 27, 2014, 04:55:22 PM
Off to a soccer game so my replies will have to be later but I sense some odd personal problems here. Why the anger and personal attacks instead of focusing on the issues? I don't insult anybody or presume people to be "nuts," to use a medical term, or attack. Or at least I try not to do so. I simply posted some links, which are ignored, and opinions. And those who I have posited some opinions on, like Obama, are public figures. To use another medical term you might be familiar with, I suggest taking a "chill pill." Despite what you believe the CO2 and the warming disruption won't kill you, at least this evening! And neither will those who don't buy the propaganda and post their thoughts on a forum.

Did you find out what krill is and what it's function is?

SciFiAuthor

I think what's most interesting is that the earth's carbon dioxide levels have been this high before. Actually, about 800,000 years ago is when hominid evolution was actively evolving towards us. That's not really all that long ago, geologically speaking, and, well, earth managed to evolve the ultimate apex species under those conditions.

We really should not be worrying about carbon dioxide. Our production of it is coming to an end through technological development anyway. Don't freak out, just be happy. This period of ridiculousness will pass, in thirty years the worriers will feel like complete asses, and we'll be just fine. And if we aren't, well, we possess numerous technologies and methods of removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, we will simply institute them and fix it.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 28, 2014, 12:55:34 AM
... We really should not be worrying about carbon dioxide...

If you are going to take away their reason to jack up Taxes and seize more of our Liberty, you ought to leave them with another excuse to do so.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on July 28, 2014, 12:55:34 AM
I think what's most interesting is that the earth's carbon dioxide levels have been this high before. Actually, about 800,000 years ago is when hominid evolution was actively evolving towards us. That's not really all that long ago, geologically speaking, and, well, earth managed to evolve the ultimate apex species under those conditions.

We really should not be worrying about carbon dioxide. Our production of it is coming to an end through technological development anyway. Don't freak out, just be happy. This period of ridiculousness will pass, in thirty years the worriers will feel like complete asses, and we'll be just fine. And if we aren't, well, we possess numerous technologies and methods of removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, we will simply institute them and fix it.

Optimism and wishful thinking didn't make Santa Claus come down the chimney. That makes you think that in thirty years when it's too late, humans will have the ability to undo things that should have been done forty years previously?

b_dubb

Does the nursery school teacher know you've wandered away from Crayon bucket?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 28, 2014, 01:13:29 AM

If you are going to take away their reason to jack up Taxes and seize more of our Liberty, you ought to leave them with another excuse to do so.

FFS. Scientists don't put up taxes, and just as a pilot doesn't want the airliner to crash any more than the passengers, it isn't in their interests to be less liberated than you or I. You accept any anti Obama link/ video as gospel, yet overwhelming scientific (That's from real scientists, not CT on YT bleating about the NWO) evidence, and you can't accept it.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 28, 2014, 01:32:36 AM
FFS. Scientists don't put up taxes...

'Political' scientists do

... it isn't in their interests to be less liberated than you or I...

That's true.  Except for the Left, Big Government Liberalism is their religion.

... overwhelming scientific... evidence, and you can't accept it.

Except it's not overwhelming, and it's not science

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 28, 2014, 02:36:39 AM
'Political' scientists do

That's true.  Except for the Left, Big Government Liberalism is their religion.

Except it's not overwhelming, and it's not science

Keep believing that; you're not right of course, but if it gives you comfort, keep believing it.

albrecht

and just as a pilot doesn't want the airliner to crash any more than the passengers,
Egypt Air 990
It likely also harmed krill when it crashed into the ocean.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on July 28, 2014, 09:24:27 AM
Egypt Air 990
It likely also harmed krill when it crashed into the ocean.

Of course, and at least one car that ever crashed was suicide.. At least one. At least one house fire was arson with the family inside...at least one...Not that any of that or what you said has anything to do with scientists in the Antarctic.

I sure as hell hope all this global warming soon starts actually warming. All these damn globalcooling warming(?) record breaking Winters are getting a bit old!

Catsmile

Quote from: onan on July 28, 2014, 10:25:08 AM
Watch the man, not the dog.
That really will confuse them.
They think the climate and the weather are the same interchangeable thing.
Simply because they believe it so.
Science is akin to sin for them, only their radio Caliph speaks the truth.

Their bloviating fat Caliph behind the microphone lays down the edict. While telling them to ignore the men behind the curtain. So they ignore those men with the blood and oil stained hands. Hands they try to keep hidden behind their backs, while whispering to the fat white Caliph. After the edict is put forth, much gnashing of teeth and keyboards ensues. "Our Caliph tells us changing things will cost me money and freedom. WELL! HELL! Allah forbid any "change" happens! I've got mine now, let those other "characters" get their own somewhere else." " It's all LIES from the unbelievers! Keep the governments hands off my CO2!" So it goes, Ad Finem Fidelis.

Just for shits and giggles this might clear up what you said above.
Doubt they will trust that uppity "character" Neil deGrasse Tyson. 

b_dubb

Quote from: Catsmile on July 28, 2014, 12:44:22 PM

Their bloviating fat Caliph behind the microphone lays down the edict. While telling them to ignore the men behind the curtain. So they ignore those men with the blood and oil stained hands. Hands they try to keep hidden behind their backs, while whispering to the fat white Caliph. After the edict is put forth, much gnashing of teeth and keyboards ensues. "Our Caliph tells us changing things will cost me money and freedom. WELL! HELL! Allah forbid any "change" happens! I've got mine now, let those other "characters" get their own somewhere else." " It's all LIES from the unbelievers! Keep the governments hands off my CO2!" So it goes, Ad Finem Fidelis.

what the fuck are you talking about

Catsmile

Quote from: FightTheFuture on July 28, 2014, 10:16:02 AM
I sure as hell hope all this global warming soon starts actually warming. All these damn globalcooling warming(?) record breaking Winters are getting a bit old!
Quote from: onan on July 28, 2014, 10:25:08 AM
Watch the man, not the dog.
Quote from: Catsmile on July 28, 2014, 12:44:22 PM

Quote from: b_dubb on July 28, 2014, 03:51:05 PM
what the fuck are you talking about

Onan said "Watch the man, not the dog."
Most people wouldn't understand that out of context. The Gootube video I posted puts what he said into context.

Most climate deniers don't seem to understand the science of climate change.
Based on the fact they think climate and weather are an interchangeable word. They in fact are wrong. Reference FightTheFutures post above Onans post, confusing weather with climate.
The Gootube video explains the difference between climate and weather.

Then I go on a tangent using Muslim religious euphemisms. The Caliph is the conservative AM radio echo chamber that spew anti-science BELIEFS, about how carbon dioxide (CO2) is all a hoax by the liberals to take away freedoms and raise taxes.

The "tell them to ignore the men behind the curtain" was a reference to the Wizard of OZ. Where the giant wizard figurehead tells Dorothy and crew to ignore the man behind the curtain. Toto the dog pulling the curtain back unveils who is really pulling the strings of the figurehead behind the scenes. The men behind the curtain with blood and oil stained hands are the oil companies, giving the AM figurehead the edict to tell the faithful.

Ending my tale with "So it goes, Ad Finem Fidelis." 
Ad Finem Fidelis is Latin for, faithful to the end.
Pushing home the point that science means little to the faithful.

What the fuck was I talking about again... JACKSTAR?!