• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

All Things Meteorological

Started by Camazotz Automat, June 22, 2014, 12:51:30 PM

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on July 11, 2014, 05:23:06 PM
Condolences to eddie.dean on scorching SW temps

Hey, I'm here too.

wr250

i am here too , temps are within a few degrees of average though.

(manually ringing town square clock tower bell)

Phone the neighbors, WAKE the kids... this topic made it to the second page.

Pinch me, Nova.

[attachimg=1]

To celebrate breaking the page two threshold, here's a Uriah Heep album cover with some interesting weather going on. Fantastic artwork.

onan

Quote from: wr250 on July 12, 2014, 06:57:23 AM
i am here too , temps are within a few degrees of average though.

If you are not used to it... damn...

jazmunda

Quote from: onan on July 12, 2014, 06:31:22 AM
Hey, I'm here too.

Are you going to meet up with eddie?

If so may I suggest a very pubic place.

onan

Quote from: jazmunda on July 13, 2014, 01:21:07 AM
Are you going to meet up with eddie?

If so may I suggest a very pubic place.

No, just not enough time. I am on the other side of town. Every day I am scheduled in some remote part of SE, E or slightly NE part of AZ. It has been 2 days, I have 2 more days of exciting looks at properties that sound so much better on the interwebs. The time I have I am spending with my daughter, her fiance and his kid. If it weren't for those three, I am sure one of the realtors would be one of Paulides next stories.

No chance for a gabCast with Eddie, WR250 and Onan live in studio? :)

wr250

Quote from: Agent : Orange on July 13, 2014, 08:38:21 PM
im a 8 hour drive from phoenix ...
ps im about 120 miles from vegas...

eddie dean

Quote from: Agent : Orange on July 13, 2014, 08:38:21 PM

Not a chance! There's no way I'm going to invite these internet weirdos to my house! :)

onan

Quote from: eddie dean on July 14, 2014, 05:30:50 PM
Not a chance! There's no way I'm going to invite these internet weirdos to my house! :)
Poop in someone's car, and they never forget.

This post is meteor rather than meteorological, but it's a cool image on a clear night of the Perseid shower at the ASTROlab at the Mont-Mégantic International Dark Sky Reserve in Canada.

And it is almost always the local smarmy TV weatherman who announces the arrival of a meteor shower.

TV weather personalities take great satisfaction when announcing, "The Geminids will peak at around one to two AM tonight/this morning - but it's unlikely you will be able to see them, due to the low cloud cover, unless a larger one makes it through the clouds and closer to the ground."

WildCard

Cam! Welcome back to the nuthouse!

albrecht

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 25, 2014, 05:44:03 PM
This post is meteor rather than meteorological, but it's a cool image on a clear night of the Perseid shower at the ASTROlab at the Mont-Mégantic International Dark Sky Reserve in Canada.

And it is almost always the local smarmy TV weatherman who announces the arrival of a meteor shower.

TV weather personalities take great satisfaction when announcing, "The Geminids will peak at around one to two AM tonight/this morning - but it's unlikely you will be able to see them, due to the low cloud cover, unless a larger one makes it through the clouds and closer to the ground."
That is really cool. Wasn't a "dark sky" guy on C2C sometime ago? Unfortunately, maybe with George? In any event I fully support it. It really sucks when even in the so-called "country" you get bleeding lights from cities or just stupid people who have floodlights for "security", and pointed up sometimes! Get some friggin dogs and some guns if you're worried. Lights in the sky won't prevent anything. I don't usually like the government regulating but imagine that people would be amazed how nice even a semi-rural or suburban neighborhood can be without street lights and with any personal outdoor housing lights facing down (at least.) Much less how awesome it is to be out in the desert or at sea (or a large lake) and look up. I think many miss that, especially children these days.

Quote from: WildCard on July 25, 2014, 06:41:02 PM
Cam! Welcome back to the nuthouse!

Thanks, WC.  I take that to mean that things are just as I left them?  I am still throttled down, but had the itch to post today before phase two of vacation. I believe a really good vacation consists of three distinct sections.

Reminds me of the answer I gave when my mother always asked why I left my toys scattered about, positioned for my return, just as I left them.

"Because they will suffocate in the toy chest. They have to breathe, mom."

"That's no excuse for being lazy, young man."

I learned, early on, that toys were not exempt from sacrificial storage in the name of a clutter free home. (I always imagined the Breyer brand black stallion succumbing first to toy box asphyxiation. Next in line was dear old Teddy.)

That's when I fled to the attic and created a sanctuary of/for toys. Therein was my first encounter with a OUIJA board when it spelled out  U S E   Y O U R   F A T H E R S  D E C O D E R   R I N G  F O R  T H E   F O L L O W I N G....etc.

WC, I trust everyone/the toys have been breathing as clearly and insanely as clowns snorting powdered eucalyptus?

(I think my house-sitting nephew has been using my com to merely access SLINGO in addition to bellgab and CNN. I would have expected something far more illicit in my absence. I have to say, I'm just a little disappointed. SLINGO? I thought that was for little old ladies? I sense a practical joke in the making.)

But it's sure good to be back, WC, if only briefly. I hope to post several disjointed comments over the weekend.

wr250

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 25, 2014, 08:19:13 PM
Thanks, WC.  I take that to mean that things are just as I left them?  I am still throttled down, but had the itch to post today before phase two of vacay. I believe a really good vacation consists of three distinct sections.

jazmunda like the 3 section vacation too.
1: drunken debauchery in NYC
2:co-host the gabcast from a vegas hotel bathroom
3:more drunken debauchery from vegas to SE asia

Quote from: albrecht on July 25, 2014, 07:31:10 PM
That is really cool. Wasn't a "dark sky" guy on C2C sometime ago? Unfortunately, maybe with George? In any event I fully support it. It really sucks when even in the so-called "country" you get bleeding lights from cities or just stupid people who have floodlights for "security", and pointed up sometimes! Get some friggin dogs and some guns if you're worried. Lights in the sky won't prevent anything. I don't usually like the government regulating but imagine that people would be amazed how nice even a semi-rural or suburban neighborhood can be without street lights and with any personal outdoor housing lights facing down (at least.) Much less how awesome it is to be out in the desert or at sea (or a large lake) and look up. I think many miss that, especially children these days.

This. 

Even on the rare occasion when a weatherman says that "viewing will be great and clear" for any given meteor shower, the light pollution is enormous.

Quote from: wr250 on July 25, 2014, 08:26:27 PM
jazmunda likes the 3 section vacation too.
1: drunken debauchery in NYC
2: co-host the gabcast from a vegas hotel bathroom
3: more drunken debauchery from vegas to SE asia

And judging by his comments on the Spec Sheet, he has the tech side of staying connected to the land down under - while on the run - perfected.

I found your post so interesting that I had to steal it to put on my languishing weather thread. I hope you don't mind, ED.

Quote from: eddie dean on September 08, 2014, 11:38:32 AM
Phoenix is drowning in rain. Moisture from hurricane Norbert generates record breaking rainfall in the southwest!
The digital rain gage in my back yard reads 4.66" of rain has fallen since 2am this morning. My back yard is under water, freeways are flooded and closed. Some areas of the valley have seen over 5" of rain in an 8 hour period.  It's still raining and more is on the way.

Crazy!

I'm changing my user name to Treading Water 2! Hope you don't mind TW! :)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/heavy-rain-snarls-morning-commute-phoenix-area-25344433

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/wettest-day-record-phoenix-flash-floods-cause-havoc-n198201

eddie dean

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 08, 2014, 04:19:20 PM
I found your post so interesting that I had to steal it to put on my languishing weather thread. I hope you don't mind, ED.

You bastard! ;)
You're right, it does belong in this thread. I was simply too lazy to search for this thread this morning. It won't happen again.

A couple of days ago this cloud formation appeared. I should have realized it meant business. I foolishly believed it had something to do with hackers and celebrities.
[attachimg=2]

But now I realize it was a warning for the 5" of rain that fell this morning!
[attachimg=1]

b_dubb

Quote from: eddie dean on September 08, 2014, 08:37:48 PM
You bastard! ;)
You're right, it does belong in this thread. I was simply too lazy to search for this thread this morning. It won't happen again.

A couple of days ago this cloud formation appeared. I should have realized it meant business. I foolishly believed it had something to do with hackers and celebrities.
[attachimg=2]

But now I realize it was a warning for the 5" of rain that fell this morning!
[attachimg=1]
We had a record rainfall recently also. The highway flooded. A guy with a bass boat rescued people from off the tops of their cars. Areas that had never flooded were under five feet of water. It was freaky. Surprised no one died.

Quote from: b_dubb on September 08, 2014, 08:56:39 PM
We had a record rainfall recently also. The highway flooded. A guy with a bass boat rescued people from off the tops of their cars. Areas that had never flooded were under five feet of water. It was freaky. Surprised no one died.

I was going to say, "That's a miracle no one drowned in some way, somewhere," but then realized I'd be tempted to go to the Do You Believe In GOD? thread and chastise myself for saying "miracle" in the meteorological thread.

eddie dean

Another tropical storm in the west brings a potential of heavy accumulation in the already saturated soils in AZ and NM!

[attachimg=1]

QuoteThe big story will concern moisture moving northward from the Gulf of
California and westward from the Gulf of Mexico/Texas associated with the
circulation around Tropical Storm Odile.  Showers and thunderstorms with
heavy rainfall over expected parts of the Southwest, Southern Rockies, and
into parts of the Great Basin through Wednesday evening.  Low-level inflow
combined with daytime heating should be sufficient to organized
thunderstorm activity over the next few days, bringing locally heavy rain
with amounts which could challenge the annual average rainfall across the
Desert Southwest, similar to what was seen around the periphery of Norbert
eight days ago/on September 8.

[attachimg=2]

"The flooding was so sudden and severe, fire crews had to pull people from their vehicles. The primary drainage outlet on Marsha Sharp was bubbling, overwhelmed by water. Drivers looked on from the overpass, unable to go anywhere."

Lubbock, TX slammed on SEP 24, '14 with extremely heavy rainfall. Looks like a scene from an old Irwin Allen flick:

KCBD short report

[attachimg=1]

We've been in the midst of a heatwave here in downtown Canada. Temperatures are unseasonably high and even the mosquitoes have awakened from dormancy! It's now been about two weeks that we've been treated to fantastic weather after a very disappointing summer. 

September has been more summer than summer.

This is Tom Tom, my one successful tomato grown this season, if late. I took the picture today. I don't want to "harvest" yet, but the dropping temperature is forcing me to accommodate Tom Tom by bringing him into the house tonight and probably many future nights. Luckily, he lives in a bucket planter. 

Stupid stupid stupid Arctic blast.

All this work for one pristine homegrown tomato.  Is it worth it?

Yes.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2014, 05:46:22 PM
This is Tom Tom, my one successful tomato grown this season, if late. I took the picture today. I don't want to "harvest" yet, but the dropping temperature is forcing me to accommodate Tom Tom by bringing him into the house tonight and probably many future nights. Luckily, he lives in a bucket planter. 

Stupid stupid stupid Arctic blast.

All this work for one pristine homegrown tomato.  Is it worth it?

Yes.

It should ripen once you pick it if it has even a hint of red.  At least that worked for my mid-season tomatoes, but the ones I picked late in October developed black rot before they were fully ripe.

And watch out for deer.  Once they discover they like tomatoes its all they'll want to eat.

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on November 12, 2014, 05:58:10 PM
but the ones I picked late in October developed black rot before they were fully ripe.

~ B L A C K   R O T   ! ~

(screams ... faints)

((Not even a smidgen of red yet. I will try to string it along.))

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2014, 06:09:26 PM
~ B L A C K   R O T   ! ~

(screams ... faints)

((Not even a smidgen of red yet. I will try to string it along.))

So how did Tom Tom turn out?

Also, here's a lunar halo I took a few weeks ago: