• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Nice Little Facts

Started by MV/Liberace!, June 20, 2014, 04:56:20 PM

Quote from: zeebo on July 03, 2014, 05:57:55 PM
Of course you know nothing rhymes with "orange".  But the same is also true for "purple" and "silver".

Bieber rhymes with silver. 

Or do you mean the whole word?

Quote from: jazmunda on July 03, 2014, 07:32:55 PM
Does emotional pain really count as pain? :P

The depth of a ginger's pain can never be measured. Just ask mudking. I blame aliens myself.

onan

Yep, a broken heart can lead to severe, short-term heart muscle failure. In rare cases it is fatal.

zeebo

Oh haha, a ginger snap!

wr250

thats the worst kind of pain

heater

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 03, 2014, 08:07:50 PM
Just ask mudking.

Recently I became aware of the concept of "not currently in pain" its so foreign to me I find it hard to understand.

Quote from: onan on July 03, 2014, 08:09:20 PM
Yep, a broken heart can lead to severe, short-term heart muscle failure. In rare cases it is fatal.

just ask padme

b_dubb

Quote from: themudking on July 03, 2014, 08:24:07 PM
Recently I became aware of the concept of "not currently in pain" its so foreign to me I find it hard to understand.

just ask padme
who let george Lucas make movies?

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on July 03, 2014, 08:29:36 PM
who let george Lucas make movies?

Probably the same sadistic cabal that allowed George Noory on the air nightly.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on July 03, 2014, 08:29:36 PM
who let george Lucas make movies toy commercials?

fixed it

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 03, 2014, 03:48:28 PM
Now that's what I call a glitch in the Matrix.

There sure as hell better not be two different Englebert Humperdincks on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (or anywhere else for that matter.)

Worry not, because there was indeed only one Englebert Humperdinck, and he was a moderately successful German composer who died almost a hundred years ago.

[attachimg=1]

The real name of the EH we remember as the watered down, weak imitation of Tom Jones, pop singing sixties and seventies heartthrob, is Arnold George Dorsey. 

On a distantly related note, Jethro Tull was a late seventeenth, early eighteenth century agronomist whose innovative ideas revolutionized agriculture in Great Britain.  In fact, you could say he made many groundbreaking contributions...

[attachimg=2]

There's a humorous story about how the eponymous band took his name, but I can't remember it right now and I'm too lazy to look it up.  Sorry.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 03, 2014, 10:32:24 PM
Worry not, because there was indeed only one Englebert Humperdinck...

Still sore after I friggin' humperdincked my englebert last nite.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on July 03, 2014, 10:32:24 PM

There's a humorous story about how the eponymous band took his name, but I can't remember it right now and I'm too lazy to look it up.  Sorry.

Please find it...

It'll make of you an honest man......

as a result;

It'll heal the wound and still the pain.....

Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood

wr250

Quote from: zeebo on July 04, 2014, 12:22:42 AM
Still sore after I friggin' humperdincked my englebert last nite.
lissenin to george noory does that.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 04, 2014, 02:00:40 AM
Please find it...

It'll make of you an honest man......

as a result;

It'll heal the wound and still the pain.....

If only.  Oh, the pain.  The pain.

[attachimg=1]

zeebo

A nanocentury is approximately 3.155 seconds.

Cary Grant credited veteran comedian, impressionist, and character actor Larry Storch for originating the iconic "Judy, Judy, Judy!" line associated with him.  The story goes that Storch was performing at a swanky nightclub and Judy Garland walked in while he was in the middle of a Cary Grant bit.  When he saw her, he ad libbed those immortal words.  And now you know the rest of the story.

jazmunda

The city of Melbourne (my hometown) has a cultural festival using the Aboriginal word Moomba. It seems the festival's initial organisers asked the local Aborigines to suggest a name, and were told that moomba means 'lets get together and have fun.' The grateful organisers subsequently used the name.

In hindsight, the organisers really should have been suspicious that 'lets get together and have fun' could be expressed in two syllables. In reality, 'moom' means 'bum', 'buttocks', or 'anus', while the suffix 'ba' means 'in', 'at' or 'on'. So moomba actually means 'in the bum.'

When asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John Lennon replied "Ringo's not even the best drummer in The Beatles."

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on July 06, 2014, 11:51:16 PM
When asked if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, John Lennon replied "Ringo's not even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Does anyone know the source of this quote?  I've done some searching, and can't find anything.

MV/Liberace!

Time to catch up.

1)  The Leaning Tower of Pisa was designed to be a bell tower.
2)  Fredric Baur designed the Pringles can, and his ashes were stored in one.
3)  A 2008 study by the University of Illinois found that CPR works best when you do it to the beat of Staying Alive.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on July 07, 2014, 10:28:49 AM
Does anyone know the source of this quote?  I've done some searching, and can't find anything.

I believe it was in one of the many TV interviews when they were making it big after Hamburg. I've no idea when, or who asked the question.

http://johnlennonquotes.net/john-lennon-quotes-about-the-beatles-2.htm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/grammys/10598488/With-a-little-help-Ringo-Starr-is-remembered-at-last.html

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: MV on July 07, 2014, 10:31:11 AM
Time to catch up.

1)  The Leaning Tower of Pisa was designed to be a bell tower.
2)  Fredric Baur designed the Pringles can, and his ashes were stored in one.
3)  A 2008 study by the University of Illinois found that CPR works best when you do it to the beat of Staying Alive.

Nellie the elephant is also recommended over here. ;D

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on July 07, 2014, 10:31:15 AM
I believe it was in one of the many TV interviews when they were making it big after Hamburg. I've no idea when, or who asked the question.

Who knows.  There's zero attribution anywhere.

Quote from: MV on July 07, 2014, 10:32:37 AM
Who knows.  There's zero attribution anywhere.

I just did a pretty thorough search and can't locate the source, but there're a lot of fingers pointing at  comedian Jasper Carrott.

I have been taken in by an urban legend, although to be honest, it's one I wish were true.

Ms. C

Tonight ...  The GabCast returns LIVE ....

[attachimg=1]

jazmunda

Quote from: Ms. C on July 07, 2014, 11:29:55 AM
Tonight ...  The GabCast returns LIVE ....

[attachimg=1]

Some would argue that this should be in the Bullshit thread.

MV/Liberace!

Simon Bolivar was once president of three countries simultaneously.

MV/Liberace!

Oh, and one more fact, just to catch up, which also happens to be another Zeppelin fact:

Stairway to Heaven didn't make the charts until 2007 when it was made available as a digital download.

Quote from: jazmunda on July 06, 2014, 11:34:01 PM
The city of Melbourne (my hometown) has a cultural festival using the Aboriginal word Moomba. It seems the festival's initial organisers asked the local Aborigines to suggest a name, and were told that moomba means 'lets get together and have fun.' The grateful organisers subsequently used the name.

In hindsight, the organisers really should have been suspicious that 'lets get together and have fun' could be expressed in two syllables. In reality, 'moom' means 'bum', 'buttocks', or 'anus', while the suffix 'ba' means 'in', 'at' or 'on'. So moomba actually means 'in the bum.'

This.... is so awesome

Bart Ell

Nobody has ever said, "Boy do I ever miss Leno!"