• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Do You REALLY Think Art Will Be Back in 2015?

Started by ksm32, June 20, 2014, 12:17:37 AM

Lt.Uhura

So last week, while listening to the replay of Ghost to Ghost from '95. Art talked over this song while  finishing up a segment.  He was so smooth, relaxed, unrehearsed, yet precise and spot-on....Show had such an effortless flow.  His absence from radio has left a void.

The London Symphony Orchestra - Paint It Black

If he wants a caller driven show he needs affiliates. Art does not have the time or patience to build this thing from scratch. Affiliates are a must, I hope art sees this.

paladin1991

Quote from: b_dubb on July 08, 2014, 07:57:30 PM
I think if you listen to some of Art's shows from early 2000's he changes his tune.  Post 9/11 the Clinton Presidency era seems like a kind of paradise.  I miss the 90's.
Hell, I miss the 80's.  Ronnie gave me a job.  Sent me around the world.  When I got back it was the 90's and the whole friggin music world had changed.  Fm Devo and Bananarama to whiny suck on shotguns dudes and their bitch wives.  The world turned upside down.  And I don't even know why.
Art in 2015, I hope so.  But I don't count on him for it.

albrecht

Quote from: nooryisawesome on July 09, 2014, 05:39:44 AM
If he wants a caller driven show he needs affiliates. Art does not have the time or patience to build this thing from scratch. Affiliates are a must, I hope art sees this.
He has a loyal fan base but even there many were disappointed, or just pissed off, at the DM stuff. If he can't sign on with real affiliates or some network that already has them I'm not sure how successful he could be. Internet is great but the connections problems on the call-in and not many people use it and advertizing hasn't been proven. If DM would encourage or allow one short-term solution is to get people to use low-power FM transmitters in their communities on an unused FM channel, in addition to the internet radio. Alex had folks do that before he got big and it worked in some cities fairly well (could get the show on 90.1 for example in most places in Austin. FCC tried to crack-down but enough kept doing it than they left it alone, I think.) And reach out to those smaller, more local and rural AM (and FM) stations that haven't been gobbled up by CC etc. Most of those aren't doing much at night and would at least get the signal out to some folks. He could also get back on WWCR on shortwave at a, likely, reasonable, price. That signal is powerful and would reach a lot of the country and Canada.

paladin1991

Hell, I follow another podcast by Cigar Dave.  He does weekly 'casts via a number of affiliates.  He also does the occasional 'Daily Briefing.'

I cold really see Art doing the same thing.  His regular schedule of whatever number of shows whether it be weekly or 2-3 a week.....and add'l content 'cast via his site.  His fans would be checking his site routinely anyway and if something struck Art as needing his unique perspective he could post the 'briefing' or 'report' for his fans to discover.
His musings on the recent run to Costco or an overheard conversation outside the pediatric clinic or...
Hell, he might be able to do unscheduled pods now via his site w/o violating the non-compete.  If that were so, he could start building his fan base right friggin now. ( I have no idea what the terms of a NC are, but I'm pretty sure they are tight, maybe not airtight, but tight enough to just let them expire, as we see.)
I wonder if he could be a regular guest on Gab and Spec to start building his new base of interest?

Bart Ell

Why worry about what Art will do in 2015 when you don't even know if you will be around to find out?

paladin1991

You're right, Bart.  Those FEMA camps will be up and running by the end of this summer. 

Bart Ell

I hope they have marshmallows!

Or, for the dirty hippies, harshmellows.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on July 09, 2014, 04:46:22 AM
So last week, while listening to the replay of Ghost to Ghost from '95. Art talked over this song while  finishing up a segment.  He was so smooth, relaxed, unrehearsed, yet precise and spot-on....Show had such an effortless flow.  His absence from radio has left a void.

The London Symphony Orchestra - Paint It Black

And the void he left behind is George Noory.

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 09, 2014, 09:36:58 AM
You're right, Bart.  Those FEMA camps will be up and running by the end of this summer.
I've heard plans have hit a set back and will be put off a few more months, apparently there are not enough guillotines for everyone on the Red List and the camps are WAY behind schedule for those on the Blue List. However the administration, at the urging of FEMA, has opened the border in attempts to get some more illegal alien workers in to get the camps built. Because they will do jobs Americans won't do.

paladin1991

There's always an upside to everything, albrecht.  You just gotta find it.

albrecht

Quote from: paladin1991 on July 09, 2014, 11:50:57 PM
There's always an upside to everything, albrecht.  You just gotta find it.
True. N agree about 90s, esp music. Wtf. Grunge? Only good thing about 90s was Art was in prime form n older bands still playing live despite grunge crap.

Quote from: albrecht on July 10, 2014, 12:02:47 AM
True. N agree about 90s, esp music. Wtf. Grunge? Only good thing about 90s was Art was in prime form n older bands still playing live despite grunge crap.
Nirvana is wtf? Nirvana was R&R on roids.

laserjock

You guys over emphasize the importance and effect of live podcasting not working with phone calling.  Look at the small empire that Leo Laporte has created.  I was a huge fan of the entire troupe back in the ZDTV days, but it's really even better now, no annoying corporation to get in Leo's way.  TWiT and the huge list of programs, is highly successful and monstrously entertaining.  And he's got call in programs.  And does live video.  Leo has that Jensaisquo (however you spell it) and so does Art.  It's working for Leo very well, and Art is just as good, no, even better, than Leo.

And the idea of Art getting in bed with Alex Jones?  Somebody shoot me out of my misery if he were to do that.  Jone's is a crook and a huckster doing real harm to the democracy.  I hate Jones with a passion.  Got an A on an essay I wrote about him in school and his scamming.  Anyone that thinks Art could take away from Jones beneficially is truly a naive soul, a sucker.

Art will be back.  He won't only be back, but he will cause a revolution in streaming, I'm not sure how, but he will.  His young pretty wife and precious daughter are keeping him young and happy, I, too, have a Filipina for a spouse and she's the best thing that ever happened to me, she's a dearheart.  Art will be back with a vengence and, I bet you this:  He will even SCHOOL Noory and Jones and Wells, without even trying.

If I can go back to college in my late 50's and get A's, Art can school Premier and the whole lot of them.  And Art is like a cat, he's calmly waiting to pounce on his prey, he's not an impatient one like a dog (I'm more the dog type).  We can't even begin to imagine what is in store.  Sirius was just him testing the waters.  I even think he'll have Ian and the real George (Knapp) on occasionally.

Frankly, I think that Noory and his bosses are scared shitless about Art coming back.

Quote from: laserjock on July 16, 2014, 09:37:52 PM
You guys over emphasize the importance and effect of live podcasting not working with phone calling.  Look at the small empire that Leo Laporte has created.  I was a huge fan of the entire troupe back in the ZDTV days, but it's really even better now, no annoying corporation to get in Leo's way.  TWiT and the huge list of programs, is highly successful and monstrously entertaining.  And he's got call in programs.  And does live video.  Leo has that Jensaisquo (however you spell it) and so does Art.  It's working for Leo very well, and Art is just as good, no, even better, than Leo.

And the idea of Art getting in bed with Alex Jones?  Somebody shoot me out of my misery if he were to do that.  Jone's is a crook and a huckster doing real harm to the democracy.  I hate Jones with a passion.  Got an A on an essay I wrote about him in school and his scamming.  Anyone that thinks Art could take away from Jones beneficially is truly a naive soul, a sucker.

Art will be back.  He won't only be back, but he will cause a revolution in streaming, I'm not sure how, but he will.  His young pretty wife and precious daughter are keeping him young and happy, I, too, have a Filipina for a spouse and she's the best thing that ever happened to me, she's a dearheart.  Art will be back with a vengence and, I bet you this:  He will even SCHOOL Noory and Jones and Wells, without even trying.

If I can go back to college in my late 50's and get A's, Art can school Premier and the whole lot of them.  And Art is like a cat, he's calmly waiting to pounce on his prey, he's not an impatient one like a dog (I'm more the dog type).  We can't even begin to imagine what is in store.  Sirius was just him testing the waters.  I even think he'll have Ian and the real George (Knapp) on occasionally.

Frankly, I think that Noory and his bosses are scared shitless about Art coming back.

Tom lykos(not sure of spelling) also does well podcasting. He seems to get a good caller base. I think it took both of these guys a long while to build their podcast. They were also relevant before launching their podcast and had told their listeners they were going to launch such a service. Art has not been on the air besides sirius in years. Most of his fans will not even know about the podcast. Art also does not have the patience to build a program the way successful podcasters have.

As a result, Art needs radio affiliates, it is really the only logical solution. Unfortunately everything we have heard is that Art is going to do a free podcast live, and have paid subscription. I think this model will fail for Art. Art stated his issues with radio are commercials and control. I think Art should just deal with having a few minutes of breaks, give the show to affiliates, have the subscription based podcasting on demand, and free internet streaming. I think that model would work for Art.

Instead of some big grandiose plan - that he will either quickly tire of or be frustrated by - why doesn't he just do a weekend show, 1, 2, 3 days a week, or even sporadically when he feels like it.

There must be some show out there that would be happy to have him fill in when he wants.  If he truly wants to do more, he could then decide to expand a little

It's what he should have done last time.  That, and a limit to the overexposed tiresome debunked guests.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 17, 2014, 02:29:20 AM
Instead of some big grandiose plan - that he will either quickly tire of or be frustrated by - why doesn't he just do a weekend show, 1, 2, 3 days a week, or even sporadically when he feels like it.

There must be some show out there that would be happy to have him fill in when he wants.  If he truly wants to do more, he could then decide to expand a little

It's what he should have done last time.  That, and a limit to the overexposed tiresome debunked guests.

Because people don't want to listen to anyone else. So if he does it sporadically, am I supposed to tune in every night to find there is no show? A recorded podcast wouldn't work because Bell has clearly stated he wants a caller driven show and is non-negotiable on that. People will stop tuning in if Art is not on.

He could do 2 to 3 nights a week, that would work. But again he will not get the caller  base he wants if he just does a podcast/ streams on DRMN. Hence, the need for affiliates. There are plenty of syndicated weekend shows, like the a fore mentioned cigar show. The only problem with the weekend show is that he would not be competing with Jorch, which is a stated goal of his.

cweb

Lots of interesting ideas here, maybe the solution is a combination of them?

What if Art did a few days at the top of the week? Like Monday-Wednesday? He could compete with the Noor-bore and then be able to say "hey, compare Noory's numbers when I'm on to his numbers when I'm not on." It would also allow Jimmy Church or whoever is deemed the Golden Heir to pick up the Thursday/Friday slots and test the waters.

I agree that some local affiliates would help the caller-driven elements of his show. Why do some people still listen to C2C on weekdays? Because they need their fix and there's no big challenger. I think they'd at least try something different if it was available and they knew about it.

paladin1991

Quote from: laserjock on July 16, 2014, 09:37:52 PM

I'll buy that for a dollar!

Dr Who

Of course he will be back Jimmy Church has already said its planed for July 2015 Jimmy is keeping his slot and Art will take the one straight after putting him in direct competition with George Snoory sorry of course I meant Noory ;D

Bart Ell

Lookie, a new Chuuchead!
Jimmy is sweet on Art. Jimmy wants to be Art. Jimmy would take one in the bum bum if it meant he got to spend 3 minutes with Art. Who is Jimmy kidding, Jimmy would take it in the bum bum regardless.

Chaim

Anthony Cumia was fired from Sirius and start his own show just 1 month later. August 4.
I still don't get how Art can be banned that long from working, I mean the whole idea of a non-compete is that he can't broadcast for another network WHILE working for Sirius. I mean now that he is gone he can hardly compete with his own no longer existing show, can he?

Is Art really so naive and bad in legal things? I bet a guy like Alex Jones would get a lawyer and destroy Sirius' case in a week and start broadcasting right away again, and probably get them fined for damages of lost income on top.

Scully

Quote from: Chaim on July 25, 2014, 11:15:55 AM
Anthony Cumia was fired from Sirius and start his own show just 1 month later. August 4.
I still don't get how Art can be banned that long from working, I mean the whole idea of a non-compete is that he can't broadcast for another network WHILE working for Sirius. I mean now that he is gone he can hardly compete with his own no longer existing show, can he?

Is Art really so naive and bad in legal things? I bet a guy like Alex Jones would get a lawyer and destroy Sirius' case in a week and start broadcasting right away again, and probably get them fined for damages of lost income on top.

I personally believe that once the dust settled, Art considered his parting with Sirius a reprieve from what he had gotten himself into.

Quote from: Chaim on July 25, 2014, 11:15:55 AM
... Is Art really so naive and bad in legal things?...

To ask the question is to answer it.  Of course he isn't.  I don't believe the '2 year non-compete' for a minute. 

He got tired of doing it and quit.  Again.  And gave himself some space so people wouldn't hound him to do something else for awhile.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Paper*Boy on July 26, 2014, 05:16:01 AM

To ask the question is to answer it.  Of course he isn't.  I don't believe the '2 year non-compete' for a minute. 

He got tired of doing it and quit.  Again.  And gave himself some space so people wouldn't hound him to do something else for awhile.

This has secretly crossed my mind, way back during the dark November that followed after he went "All in".  Though, I've listened to the GabCast when Art called, and still find it difficult to believe.

Then I remember a show, from forever ago, when Art said something similar to, "If I couldn't do this show this way, the way I want, the way I've always done it, then I wouldn't do it." 

During his heyday, he had the gracious support of Ramona.  Something tells me that for Art, it will never be the same without her.   :'(  There, I said it.

The more I think about it, the more my brain and heart hurts. 

Morgus

I have noticed recently that the Dark Matter Radio Network has appeared to get overloaded during their more popular shows like Fade to Black, causing loss of stream for minutes and buffering. Keith has alluded to network problems on his webpage too.
What will happen when Art Bell returns to use this streaming network and of course increasing the load by many orders of magnitude?
Would that cause the same (or worse) streaming problems he complained to Sirius about and the same result perhaps?

wr250

as of yet ,ive not had any of those problems.

Quote from: Morgus on July 26, 2014, 02:50:06 PM
I have noticed recently that the Dark Matter Radio Network has appeared to get overloaded during their more popular shows like Fade to Black, causing loss of stream for minutes and buffering. Keith has alluded to network problems on his webpage too.
What will happen when Art Bell returns to use this streaming network and of course increasing the load by many orders of magnitude?
Would that cause the same (or worse) streaming problems he complained to Sirius about and the same result perhaps?

All the more reason for radio affiliates.