• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

trostol

Quote from: coaster on November 06, 2016, 11:03:37 PM
saw an episode earlier today. hawkeye had a pair of long johns during a cold korean winter. trapper stole them, everyone was stealing them around the swamp..
they ended up in a bet against radar in a poker game.
trapper says "i have a full house" and radar says " i only have two pair, you won". so trapper asks him what he had.
radar said a pair of tens. trapper says what was the other pair? radar said, "thats it, just two pairs of tens". won with 4 of a kind... it was really brilliant writing back in the day.

indeed..now i wanna watch MASH lol

wanna know something weird..i have copies of the first three seasons without the laugh track..its...weird

I recently watched this movie. It sucks. The Da Vinci Code is better.

Boo: A Madea Halloween

AWESOMENESS! Tyler Perry is just brilliant.

Quote from: onan on November 10, 2016, 07:23:51 AM
Saw Dr. Strange, wait for video.

Damn! I was planning on seeing that this weekend. Well, anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Saved me some $$.

P.S. VERY much looking forward to Arrival. Starts tomorrow.

Quote from: onan on November 10, 2016, 07:23:51 AM
Saw Dr. Strange, wait for video.

Being an old Marvel guy, I'd think Dr. Strange would be a tough sell anyhow.  I always liked the Doc, but I will take your advice and wait for the rental. 

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 10, 2016, 08:38:18 AM
Damn! I was planning on seeing that this weekend. Well, anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Saved me some $$.

Let us know what you think, FTF.  I have mixed suspicions about it after reading some early takes on it.

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2016, 08:59:08 AM
Let us know what you think, FTF.  I have mixed suspicions about it after reading some early takes on it.

I shall report back Saturday afternoon with my assessment.

I started watching both "Narcos" and "Westworld".

I recommend them bigly.

onan

Quote from: ItsOver on November 10, 2016, 08:59:08 AM
Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 10, 2016, 08:38:18 AM

It's not a bad movie, it's just more cgi than story. the bad guy would have been scarier if they had cast charlie brown.

Did see a pretty good western on video, In a Valley of Violence, kind of a Hang em High meets John wick.

onan

Quote from: onan on November 10, 2016, 11:11:18 AM
It's not a bad movie, it's just more cgi than story. the bad guy would have been scarier if they had cast charlie brown.

Did see a pretty good western on video, In a Valley of Violence, kind of a Hang em High meets John wick.

Saw The Arrival, It starts after it ends, and begins before it starts. That sounds intriguing, it isn't. There are some words in the middle of the film, that add very little to the puzzle. But the puzzle, none the less is solved by dreaming of the past, in the future. Pass on it.

Quote from: onan on November 12, 2016, 05:44:05 PM
Saw The Arrival, It starts after it ends, and begins before it starts. That sounds intriguing, it isn't. There are some words in the middle of the film, that add very little to the puzzle. But the puzzle, none the less is solved by dreaming of the past, in the future. Pass on it.

I was unable to get to the theater today (Sat?) due to a full slate of interesting college football games. Sun is out of the question, so Monday it is.

Onan, I am a bit discouraged by your review, but I shall push forward regardless. Damnit! Been waitin` for this flick a long time. How could a Denis Villeneuve film with Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner not be worth watching?

zeebo

Don't know about The Arrival since I haven't seen it.  But if it really is a disappointment then I'm holding out hope for Passengers w/ Jennifer Lawrence & Chris Pratt, coming out next month - the trailers look pretty cool. 

I saw Hacksaw Ridge tonight.  Great WW2 film and may be the first to show the true horrors of that war  (Saving Private Ryan while gory is not to this extreme).  It is very gory so if you have a weak stomach, this may not be the movie for you. Sam Worthington, in a supporting role, is really starting to grow on me as an actor.  Vince Vaughn and Hugo Weaving also did excellent jobs.  Reminded me a lot of the classic Gary Cooper film, Sgt. York, in some places what with the pacificism of the main character played superbly by Andrew Garfield.  It's nice to see a movie where old fashioned Christian values dictate the motivations of the main character.  Mel Gibson is back as a force in the movies and providing he can hold his tongue back, I don't see him disappearing from the scene.  His movies connect with red state voters yet also have the artistic merit that appeal to film connoiseurs.  I see Mel directing movies for the next 20 - 30 years provided he stays healthy.  This should be an Oscar contender for next year's Best Picture.  A superlative film. 4.5 stars out of 5.

onan

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 13, 2016, 01:58:14 AM
I was unable to get to the theater today (Sat?) due to a full slate of interesting college football games. Sun is out of the question, so Monday it is.

Onan, I am a bit discouraged by your review, but I shall push forward regardless. Damnit! Been waitin` for this flick a long time. How could a Denis Villeneuve film with Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner not be worth watching?

I honestly don't see how the movie has gotten the high marks it has received. I read somewhere that there is a lot of science in the movie... I guess I missed it.

I was led to believe the movie would be, at least in part, a procedural in interpreting an extraterrestrial language, it really isn't.

The story takes on a metaphysical aspect regarding time and a person's life, that is kind of interesting, but it isn't well explained in the movie.

ItsOver

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 13, 2016, 01:58:14 AM
I was unable to get to the theater today (Sat?) due to a full slate of interesting college football games...
Saturday's games were something else.  First, I watched Pitt edge out #2 Clemson, then Iowa take-down #3 Michigan, as USC was clubbing #4 Washington.  I love college football.

zeebo

Quote from: onan on November 13, 2016, 06:19:59 AM
I honestly don't see how the movie has gotten the high marks it has received. I read somewhere that there is a lot of science in the movie... I guess I missed it. ...

lol that's exactly what I thought about Interstellar.   ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on November 13, 2016, 11:45:28 AM
lol that's exactly what I thought about Interstellar.   ;)
The current Hollywood is usually as good with science as it is with politics.

Well I just returned from seeing Arrival and I have to say, I absolutely loved it. There are so many elements to this movie. Villeneuve meticulously folds them all together to form a fascinating sci-fi stew. Amy Adams is a shoo-in for Best Actress.

P.S. Deni Villenuve is directing the sequel to Blade Runner.

analog kid

Captain Fantastic. I don't know why this movie was made. I thought it was pretentious, even while drunk. I give it three out of six beers.

Rix Gins

1959's The Tingler.  Great Vincent Price movie that I have watched repeatedly over the years.  This is the movie where they wired random theater seats to give people a shock once the Tingler appeared on the screen.  I made it to the part where Vincent had his LSD trip but then I got too tired and went to bed.  Will watch the second half tonight.

Watching MST3K's Manos: The Hands of Fate tonight.  R.I.P. Tom Neyman.

onan

Quote from: FightTheFuture on November 14, 2016, 03:20:31 PM
Well I just returned from seeing Arrival and I have to say, I absolutely loved it. There are so many elements to this movie. Villeneuve meticulously folds them all together to form a fascinating sci-fi stew. Amy Adams is a shoo-in for Best Actress.

P.S. Deni Villenuve is directing the sequel to Blade Runner.

I'm glad you did. Although I had several problems with the film, I am curious how you felt about the death of of her child and learning to live in a philosophical time loop? It didn't seem well thought out to me.

zeebo

Quote from: Al Capone's Vault on November 14, 2016, 03:27:17 PM
...I thought it was pretentious, even while drunk. ...

lol ... will start using this as part of my rating methodology ... definitely thumbs down if you can't guzzle the pretensions away

Quote from: Grilled Cheese, Tomato Soup on November 14, 2016, 04:35:39 PM
Watching MST3K's Manos: The Hands of Fate tonight.  R.I.P. Tom Neyman.

"You know, this scene is strong enough for a Manos, but made for a Womanos."
            Joel Robinson

Thank you, Tom Neyman, for helping make Manos eternal.

b_dubb

Quote from: KevinIsAHybrid on November 07, 2016, 06:25:23 PM
I recently watched this movie. It sucks. The Da Vinci Code is better.

OOOOOOOO ANOTHER CATHOLIC BATMAN MOVIE