• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

zeebo

Quote from: Brody on October 09, 2016, 07:08:07 AM
Aliens is incredible considering the time period it was made and the somewhat limited budget it had.

"Get your hands off her you bitch!!" remains a fantastic moment.

It is a rousing movie.  "Game over, man!"  haha.... I recall hearing Cameron saying something like Alien was the 'haunted house' but his sequel would be the 'roller coaster ride', i.e. less ambience and more action. 

ItsOver

Quote from: zeebo on October 09, 2016, 06:52:36 PM
It is a rousing movie.  "Game over, man!"  haha.... I recall hearing Cameron saying something like Alien was the 'haunted house' but his sequel would be the 'roller coaster ride', i.e. less ambience and more action.
Aliens was good but the first, Alien, is a  true classic.  Just an excellent, impactful film.  I'll never forget the first time I saw it.  Holy crap.

zeebo

Quote from: ItsOver on October 09, 2016, 07:00:05 PM
Aliens was good but the first, Alien, is a  true classic.  Just an excellent, impactful film.  I'll never forget the first time I saw it.  Holy crap.

The thing I loved about it was it really did feel like they were out there, way out there on their own, in a truly alien place.  I love that line early when one of the crew says "This isn't our system."  The way it was filmed, the weird music, the creeping dread of it all - I really believed it.

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on October 09, 2016, 07:09:16 PM
The thing I loved about it was it really did feel like they were out there, way out there on their own, in a truly alien place.  I love that line early when one of the crew says "This isn't our system."  The way it was filmed, the weird music, the creeping dread of it all - I really believed it.
I hate to classify things into genres, BUT, to me "Alien" was more horror than sci-fi. And scary as shit. And not the pop-up scares but the mood, lighting, and stuff. Especially visiting the pods etc. And so filmed as if the veiwer is there with them in this strange, scary place. A great movie.

pate

Watched "Beyond the Reach" last night, seeing the description (was either on Netflix or Amazon, can't recall) it seemed to remind me of the book I read in Middle School called "Deathwatch" so naturally I had to watch it and find out if they had stolen the plot from one of my favorite childhood novellas (whatever they call the short books like that one and Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" &c). 

It became clear that it was a screenplay adaptation of the book, and it was even cited in the ending credits.  It was okay, although I think the ending got changed a bit, it's been some years since I read it.  But all in all good.  I have always hated that Michael Douglas guy for some reason, and he did a great job portraying the part of a douche rich-guy.  That he might be a douche rich-guy in real life I couldn't speak to...

Still, overall, a reasonably close adaptation to what I recall of the book, unlike "Starship Troopers," I digress...

albrecht

Quote from: pate on October 12, 2016, 07:49:57 PM
Watched "Beyond the Reach" last night, seeing the description (was either on Netflix or Amazon, can't recall) it seemed to remind me of the book I read in Middle School called "Deathwatch" so naturally I had to watch it and find out if they had stolen the plot from one of my favorite childhood novellas (whatever they call the short books like that one and Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" &c). 

It became clear that it was a screenplay adaptation of the book, and it was even cited in the ending credits.  It was okay, although I think the ending got changed a bit, it's been some years since I read it.  But all in all good.  I have always hated that Michael Douglas guy for some reason, and he did a great job portraying the part of a douche rich-guy.  That he might be a douche rich-guy in real life I couldn't speak to...

Still, overall, a reasonably close adaptation to what I recall of the book, unlike "Starship Troopers," I digress...
I saw that a while back and had same thoughts. I recall reading "Deathwatch" by Robb White in elementary school. Oddly enough the female 5th grade teacher assigned it to us. It was a great book. Better than the this movie, as normally so. I wonder if they would let kids read it now in school (guns so evil, hunting so evil, violence, etc) or even have it in the library, much less assign kids to read it. But an exciting, gripping story that really got us to read.

GravitySucks

It Have a few days to myself so I am binge watching the Netflix series episodes Longmire. This series started on A&E back in 2012. I enjoyed this series when it was on A&E, but it was cancelled before they got to a decent stopping point after 3 seasons (30 episodes). I guess Netflix picked up the series and now they have seasons 4 & 5 (total of 50 episodes in the can).

Series is set in Wyoming. Netflix did a good job of wrapping up the loose ends from the original series in the first 3 episodes of season 4.

If you watched the original series on A&E and want to see how they wrapped it, you can catch that a in 3 shows. But so far, the other episodes look as good as the original so I am going to keep watching. Good plot twists.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 12, 2016, 08:19:00 PM
It Have a few days to myself so I am binge watching the Netflix series episodes Longmire. This series started on A&E back in 2012. I enjoyed this series when it was on A&E, but it was cancelled before they got to a decent stopping point after 3 seasons (30 episodes). I guess Netflix picked up the series and now they have seasons 4 & 5 (total of 50 episodes in the can).

Series is set in Wyoming. Netflix did a good job of wrapping up the loose ends from the original series in the first 3 episodes of season 4.

If you watched the original series on A&E and want to see how they wrapped it, you can catch that a in 3 shows. But so far, the other episodes look as good as the original so I am going to keep watching. Good plot twists.
Never saw the show but enjoy the novels. Does he drink Rainer in the tv version? I hope so.

Rix Gins

After 15 years they are baaaack.  Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero have made another movie together.  A psychological thriller?  With a little luck it might be just as good (or bad) as The Room.  The trailer looks pretty cool.  And the dialogue has that unique Wiseau touch...

Tommy: This is my new car!

Greg: This is yours?

Tommy: Yes, it's mine. I treat myself.

https://youtu.be/Svu3jrsfy3A

Filmed in secret.  Hope it winds up on the big screen.

albrecht

The often maligned and overlooked film but actually a pretty good movie with some great character actors, good soundtrack, and interesting/bizarre plot is on AMC NOW!
It is HALLOWEEN III!

Went to see Nate Parker's The Birth Of A Nation over the weekend.  I thought it was an excellent film.  Very brutal in spots but effective.   4.5 stars. An impressive debut for Mr. Parker.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 13, 2016, 11:15:59 AM
Went to see Nate Parker's The Birth Of A Nation over the weekend.  I thought it was an excellent film.  Very brutal in spots but effective.   4.5 stars. An impressive debut for Mr. Parker.
So was it a remake or a 'spin' on the old film? Did they mention at all the old film, based on the bestselling book "The Clansman," or did he just rip-off the title of the original movie? (I wonder if there was an copyright or royalty issues or if that film was so old that no big deal.)

Quote from: albrecht on October 13, 2016, 11:20:19 AM
So was it a remake or a 'spin' on the old film? Did they mention at all the old film, based on the bestselling book "The Clansman," or did he just rip-off the title of the original movie? (I wonder if there was an copyright or royalty issues or if that film was so old that no big deal.)

No, he just ripped off the title.  The story was about the Nat Turner slave rebellion in 1831.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on October 13, 2016, 11:26:13 AM
No, he just ripped off the title.  The story was about the Nat Turner slave rebellion in 1830.
Ah, that makes more sense.

albrecht

TCM, not the great tv channel but Tobe Hooper's scary and creep classic "Texas Chainsaw Massacre," gas station to re-open as a horror B&B and BBQ joint. It previously has been a gas station, a BBQ/beer joint, and a thrift/convenience store but for the past few years idle and for sale every time I've driven by it. An Ohio investory, and the original young Jason, have bought it and have been renovating it. We will see how it goes. That area around Bastrop/Smithville has grown rapidly in the past few years but this is still pretty much "in the country" and off the major highway.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-gas-station-re-opens-as-a-horror-bbq-tourist-stop-162622411.html

Brody

The original Halloween remains a master class at building suspense. The iconic music. The nuts out in the field on a dark rainy night. The Hedgerow appearance and so on....

onan

Quote from: Brody on October 15, 2016, 09:36:24 AM
The original Halloween remains a master class at building suspense. The iconic music. The nuts out in the field on a dark rainy night. The Hedgerow appearance and so on....

Agreed, I always forget how scary that movie was. It takes someone to remind me and then I remember the line "you can't kill the boogeyman."

akwilly

I watched Neighbors 2. It sucked compared to the first one

ShayP

The Accountant.

I really enjoyed it.  Much better than expected.  *No spoilers, but I will say the story line will eventually give you everything to tie it all together; albeit in a disjointed way.

onan

Not movies, but just binged on Goliath. Billy Bob Thornton as noir-down-on-his-luck lawyer. Done before, but this is pretty good.

Also started watching Chance with Hugh Laurie.

pate

Quote from: onan on October 19, 2016, 10:20:21 AM
Not movies, but just binged on Goliath. Billy Bob Thornton as noir-down-on-his-luck lawyer. Done before, but this is pretty good.

Just saw episode 1, looks promising.  Bad Santa meets Law & Order (or whichever legal drama).  Thought it was funny, I think I shall binge on it as well.

(you beat me to posting about it, dammit.  I added a clickable link to imdb's entry on the show to your testimony)

Prosit!

Brody

Child's Play 2 is still a good thriller. I probably hadn't seen it in 2 decades before last night.

Brody

Hot take: Michael Myers manages to remain very much a villain during his movies, whereas Jason, Freddy and Chucky sort of became the cool anti-heros killing random people.

pate

After repeated recommendations and the discovery that "Hellboy" (always forget that guy's name:  Ron Perlman) is one of the actors, I believe I shall begin "Sons of Anarchy" if I can find it somewhere free...

Quote from: Brody on October 22, 2016, 09:36:54 AM
Hot take: Michael MyersMoore manages to remain very much a villain during his movies, whereas Jason, Freddy and Chucky sort of became the cool anti-heros killing random people.

Fixed!

analog kid

Drive. It's worthy of the good reviews IMO. Entertaining to watch while drinking. But it's pandering to every woman's dream - the ultimate bad guy, who's quiet and stoic and has eyes only for her. He's psychotic and violent, yet romantic and nurturing to her child. It's another example of how the viewer can sympathize with a character who's a psychopath, as long as they can trust him, which is a little forced. The retro soundtrack is great.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Al Capones Vault on October 22, 2016, 01:51:10 PM
Drive. It's worthy of the good reviews IMO. Entertaining to watch while drinking. But it's pandering to every woman's dream - the ultimate bad guy, who's quiet and stoic and has eyes only for her. He's psychotic and violent, yet romantic and nurturing to her child. It's another example of how the viewer can sympathize with a character who's a psychopath, as long as they can trust him, which is a little forced. The retro soundtrack is great.

Yeah, I found it compelling. His performance kind of reminded me of Steve McQueen but more psychotic, of course. Good roles done by Brooks and Pearlman too and the soundtrack was kind of ethereal and reminded me of a Tangerine Dream soundtrack from the early 80s or something like that. I only saw it once when it was released on DVD but I'd probably watch it again.

analog kid

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 22, 2016, 01:59:14 PM
Yeah, I found it compelling. His performance kind of reminded me of Steve McQueen but more psychotic, of course. Good roles done by Brooks and Pearlman too and the soundtrack was kind of ethereal and reminded me of a Tangerine Dream soundtrack from the early 80s or something like that. I only saw it once when it was released on DVD but I'd probably watch it again.

Yep, you nailed it. It was satisfying to see Pelrman's character get his.

akwilly

I watched Keanu. It was pretty dang funny. I'm not a cat person but if you are you would like it even more than me