• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Chine

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 16, 2016, 09:01:14 PM
have always liked/watched it more than once. if you know it, this will be enough cuz you can fill in the gaps. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfIcZtjAch8

Lots of memories as I grew up with John Hughes' films.

coaster

Cartel Land.
A documentary that follows three groups of people in Michoacán, Mexico, and on the U.S./Mexico border. There are the drug cartels, a group of vigilantes called the Autodefensas, and a ragtag band of U.S veterans.
The Vets who patrol the border are run by a questionable "vet", who while means well, is a victim with daddy issues. He blames losing his job and home to the Mexicans, so he spends his time chasing them down.
Dr. Mireles, a physician in Michoacán, creates a group of vigilantes to take back the town from the cartels and the police who are in the cartel's pockets. At first he becomes a hometown hero, but then his vigilante group becomes corrupted by the cartels and government. They kill, torture, rob and basically run amok, eventually forcing the sketchy government to crack down on them.
It doesn't help that Dr. Mireles really turns out to be a questionable guy himself. (he orders a murder while he thinks the cameras are not on, and has an affair with a woman who could be his granddaughter) They even show his headquarters where he rounds up gang members and basically tortures them. Eventually his group is taken over by the government, given funding, and they basically become a drug cartel of their own. There are actually people who work for the government-funded vigilante group and the cartels. Talk about corrupt. Mireles goes into hiding and is then arrested on weapons charges by the same group he created.

It is a completely chaotic, mind-fuck of a documentary. Michoacán, and Mexico itself is overcome by these cartels. When the cartels and the government support each other, and in turn actually get supported by the likes of the U.S. and DEA, it is obvious there will not be a solution anytime soon.

chefist

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 01:04:50 PM
Cartel Land.
It is a completely chaotic, mind-fuck of a documentary. Michoacán, and Mexico itself is overcome by these cartels. When the cartels and the government support each other, and in turn actually get supported by the likes of the U.S. and DEA, it is obvious there will not be a solution anytime soon.

I saw it as too. The fact Doc's character was diminished by the fact he had many extramarital affairs...very strange, did not end with much hope for any solution to the problem.

coaster

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2016, 01:24:16 PM
I saw it as too. The Doc's character was diminished by the fact he had many extramarital affairs...very strange, did not end with much hope for any solution to the problem.
It reminds me of two over-used quotes, but describe the situation perfectly here.  "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" and the gem "there is no honor among thieves."

chefist

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 01:28:13 PM
It reminds me of two over-used quotes, but describe the situation perfectly here.  "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" and the gem "there is no honor among thieves."

I think you are right...the conclusion left me pretty despondent...

Cartel Land.
A documentary that follows three groups of people in Michoacán, Mexico, and on the U.S./Mexico border. There are the drug cartels, a group of vigilantes called the Autodefensas, and a ragtag band of U.S veterans.
The Vets who patrol the border are run by a questionable "vet", who while means well, is a victim with daddy issues. He blames losing his job and home to the Mexicans, so he spends his time chasing them down.
Dr. Mireles, a physician in Michoacán, creates a group of vigilantes to take back the town from the cartels and the police who are in the cartel's pockets. At first he becomes a hometown hero, but then his vigilante group becomes corrupted by the cartels and government. They kill, torture, rob and basically run amok, eventually forcing the sketchy government to crack down on them.
It doesn't help that Dr. Mireles really turns out to be a questionable guy himself. (he orders a murder while he thinks the cameras are not on, and has an affair with a woman who could be his granddaughter) They even show his headquarters where he rounds up gang members and basically tortures them. Eventually his group is taken over by the government, given funding, and they basically become a drug cartel of their own. There are actually people who work for the government-funded vigilante group and the cartels. Talk about corrupt. Mireles goes into hiding and is then arrested on weapons charges by the same group he created.

Sounds fascinating and terrible.  Thanks for the recommendation!!

Chine

Cartel Land.

I saw this once it was released as I was waiting for it after film festival screenings.

Yes, it's good. I'll throw another documentary out to you which is far more 'mindfucking' and dark.

2013 Documentary - Narco Cultura

You can find it on Netflix.

It makes Cartel Land look very mild. Though I love both and respect the work involved. Especially when Bigelow jumped in as exec producer.

I was so eager for Cartel Land and followed filmmakers as they were on Twitter posting the progress at the festivals before picked up for national.

Then I saw Narco Cultura and I thought 'ohwhatinthefuck'. It's really gruesome and grittier. Both are approaching from different perspective.

coaster

Quote from: Chine on May 17, 2016, 03:37:37 PM

Here's the trailer.

It's currently on Netflix.
Thanks. I will be watching it tonight.
It's odd. I love Mexican culture and it's surreal to see how things are changing and evolving down there. If they made drugs legal here in the U.S., I imagine Mexico would settle down quite a bit and find a bit of normalcy. Right now it's just crazy. What person living in poverty wouldn't respect the narco way of life? It's celebrated. Hell, the best series on Netflix right now is Narcos. And as sad as it all is, I still find it endlessly fascinating.

Chine

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 03:46:52 PM
Thanks. I will be watching it tonight.
It's odd. I love Mexican culture and it's surreal to see how things are changing and evolving down there. If they made drugs legal here in the U.S., I imagine Mexico would settle down quite a bit and find a bit of normalcy. Right now it's just crazy. What person living in poverty wouldn't respect the narco way of life? It's celebrated. Hell, the best series on Netflix right now is Narcos. And as sad as it all is, I still find it endlessly fascinating.

Same here. As mindboggling and disturbing as it is, it's interesting to me. I was watching something else (another Pablo related film) and said to my husband 'Eh, it wasn't great. They left out this, this' and my husband said 'You are a Cartel Cinema snob!' A friend of mine loves these films and documentaries too and we have a tweeting fest back and forth when a new one comes out'

For me, Bloodline is the best series and most underrated series on Netflix. Honesty though, there is finally quality work on Netflix etc TV genre. I am drawn to dark, intense drama.

The Killing (I wish that came back!)

A few movies to review.  I'll start off with some lesser sci-fi/horror flicks.

The Thing That Couldn't Die -1958-Shoddy film that is nevertheless a lot of fun.  The best thing about this film is the story with an intriguing plot line.  The screenplay and especially the acting let the story down however. A clairvoyant girl, Jessica Burns, while dowsing for water on a  California ranch, discovers an ancient evil that has been buried for  over 400 years.  The owner of the ranch and Jessica's aunt, Flavia McIntyre, thinks that the ancient evil is only buried treasure so she orders her ranch hands,  George and Lenny from Of Mice And Men, to dig up the treasure.   They do and indeed find what looks like a buried treasure chest and Lenny carries it up to the ranch house.  Gordon Hawthorne, a friend of the family, wants them to wait to open it.  He wants to fetch a professor friend of his to decipher the chest's inscription and make sure the chest is handled with care so it retains its value.

George,instructed to guard the chest and wanting the treasure for himself, orders his rather dumb partner, Lenny, to open the chest.  What he finds in the chest is disturbing indeed.  A decapitated head that is still alive.  Hypnotized by the head, Lenny takes the head and kills George.  They run off into the night to hide.  As we find out a bit later, the decapitated head actually belongs to one Gideon Drew (Robin Hughes), a warlock who was among those on Sir Francis Drake's expedition of California in the 16th Century.  Drake found out about Drew's loyalty to Satan and had him executed but for some strange reason, he cursed that Drew should remain alive  until the end of time even though his head and body would be buried in 2 different places.  There's a caveat though,  if the head were to be placed on top of the neck, Drew would be one once again, to wreak havoc on the world once more.

Anyway to make a long story short,  Drew enlists the aid of the two damsels on the ranch,  Linda Madison and Jessica herself turning these once innocent girls to sexy she-devils who stop at nothing to find Drew's body.  Using Jessica's clairvoyant power, they succeed and Drew is whole once again.  Luckily though, there is an amulet, also placed by Drake, under a tree and the amulet when it touches Drew's body, kills him immediately.  To say the climax of the film is anticlimactic would be an understatement.

The dialogue in the film is rather stupid and the actors, the exception being Hughes, either deliver their lines woodenly or overact to an extreme.  It is no wonder that this was chosen for an MST3K episode.  What is especially galling is this film was made by a major studio, Universal.  It has the feel of an AIP production from the same period.  The sets are cheap.  Most of the budget apparently was used to create fog which does add immeasurably to the film.  The special effects are fairly well-done given the technology they had at the time, though it is funny looking at the decapitated head sitting on a stone, in a hatbox, or on the shelf of a closet. Done right, this film has much potential and it is ripe for a remake.  As it is, I can't give this film more than a 2.25 stars but it is an entertaining film to watch on a dark and dreary Friday night.

Oh and about George and Lenny,  that was a joke, but I wanted to have a bit of fun.   The actual names of their characters were Boyd and Mike. Oh and like Lenny, Mike does eventually die.  Lon Chaney Jr.'s presence was missed and he would have undoubtedly added to the popularity of the film.   The movie desperately needed a name actor not to mention decent actors.

It is available on the Universal Vault Series, their on-demand DVD line of films, which can be ordered off Amazon.

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 04:21:09 PM
Netflix is killing it. Goodbye cable.
Anyone see the Norwegian tv series Occupied ("Okkupert"?) Apparently Netflix has picked it up and it seems like an interesting premise (Russia occupied Norway.) A lot of the books/shows/movies from those countries are really good acting, often better than the Hollywood remakes, if you can handle subtitles (assuming that most don't speak those languages.)

Re: the cartel stuff. It is crazy and spreading here. When El Chapo was caught they local news interviewed some person at a shop who was mentioning that El Chapo t-shirts were only beat in sales by the fictional "Tony Montana" shirts. Kids are growing up thinking these guys as heroes.
For those who don't speak Spanish here is a site to monitor the madness and nihilism:
www.borderlandbeat.com

chefist

Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2016, 04:58:36 PM
Anyone see the Norwegian tv series Occupied ("Okkupert"?) Apparently Netflix has picked it up and it seems like an interesting premise (Russia occupied Norway.) A lot of the books/shows/movies from those countries are really good acting, often better than the Hollywood remakes, if you can handle subtitles (assuming that most don't speak those languages.)

Re: the cartel stuff. It is crazy and spreading here. When El Chapo was caught they local news interviewed some person at a shop who was mentioning that El Chapo t-shirts were only beat in sales by the fictional "Tony Montana" shirts. Kids are growing up thinking these guys as heroes.
For those who don't speak Spanish here is a site to monitor the madness and nihilism:
www.borderlandbeat.com

I have...I recommend it...great premise. A second season would be great. This movie is about Norwegians, but it's really the Fins that the Russians are scared of. The Fins, though small in number, are bad asses.

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on May 17, 2016, 05:00:35 PM
I have...I recommend it...great premise. A second season would be great. This movie is about Norwegians, but it's really the Fins that the Russians are scared of. The Fins, though small in number, are bad asses.
Not to become a "Will from Madison"  ;) but the Finns were bad ass against the Soviets. I think a movie should be made about this guy. A legend in "gun circles." He would sometimes chew snow so that the enemy couldn't see his breath. 505 confirmed kills- iron sights- in less than 100 days! In days of short sunlight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

coaster

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 17, 2016, 04:38:13 PM
A few movies to review.  I'll start off with some lesser sci-fi/horror flicks.

The Thing That Couldn't Die -1958
Seen it. Loved it. Pure cheese. What got me hooked back in the day was the movie posters. Which is odd, because even when I was younger, these movies were decades old. I think the first one I ever watched was the wolfman. I think I mentioned that a long time ago here.
Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2016, 04:58:36 PM

www.borderlandbeat.com
I really enjoy movies with subtitles actually. I love foreign films. One of my favorites is Ingmar Bergman. Watch The Seventh Seal. That movie will change you.
And the cartel stuff does have a huge influence. I remember wearing a Che shirt back in high school only because I heard he was a "badass". I knew nothing. And these kids don't either. Kids are impressionable, and when you show them "hey, we have money and can do whatever we want". Boom, sold.

by the way, speaking of mexican culture as I did a few posts back, this is the only thing that annoys the shit out of me.

multi-quoting posts is hard. hope this post came out ok. heh.

Chine

Kinda related in regards to Netflix.

Had to call customer service for info on service and I received exceptional customer service. That was unusual and refreshing. The rep was very fun and helpful. Then, I tweeted Netflix and thanked them... And thank you for (listed shows)

I'm one of those people that will take effort to applaud great service. And I'm a tweet fan ... Cause that's what Robins do.  8)

albrecht

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 05:11:23 PM
Seen it. Loved it. Pure cheese. What got me hooked back in the day was the movie posters. Which is odd, because even when I was younger, these movies were decades old. I think the first one I ever watched was the wolfman. I think I mentioned that a long time ago here. I really enjoy movies with subtitles actually. I love foreign films. One of my favorites is Ingmar Bergman. Watch The Seventh Seal. That movie will change you.
And the cartel stuff does have a huge influence. I remember wearing a Che shirt back in high school only because I heard he was a "badass". I knew nothing. And these kids don't either. Kids are impressionable, and when you show them "hey, we have money and can do whatever we want". Boom, sold.

by the way, speaking of mexican culture as I did a few posts back, this is the only thing that annoys the shit out of me.

multi-quoting posts is hard. hope this post came out ok. heh.
Yeah, it is always fun to go to the local fair or see them on payday. Duded up to go out to the dancehalls.
ps: "Wild Strawberries" is one my favorite films. Bergman did some great stuff and himself a very complex character. If you can find in on the interwebs CBC (Canada's version of NPR) had an interview with Liv Ullmann that was very interesting. Found it
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/wachtel-on-the-arts-liv-ullmann-1.2990829

Last Action Hero. Arnold Schwarzenegger was the tits in '93. Now, he has tits... :(

I spent far too much time on that last review.  The fact is that despite the low rating, I rather enjoyed it.  These next 2 films won't be getting the same treatment.  They have better production values and better acting but are both rather pedestrian affairs.

The Cult of The Cobra (1955) features several soon-to-be major TV stars and one of Howard Hughes' lovers, Faith Domergue.
The substance of the plot is simple.  6 G.I.'s, on the way home after WW2, witness a cult ceremony that involves women changing into cobras.  Their cover is blown and are cursed to die by the sect's leader.  They escape and find their way home back to New York.  2 of the now ex-G.I.'s played by Richard Long and Marshall Thompson find they have a sexy new neighbor, Lisa, played by Domergue.  Soon, the band of brothers starts to die one-by-one in freak accidents.  Thompson becomes involved with Domergue and hey eventually fall in love.  You can see where this is leading.

The film is totally predictable and lacks suspense though it is not totally devoid of it.  It has more of a 40's feel to it than being representative of the 50's, not dissimilar to the superior Lewton film, The Cat People.  David Janssen makes a very good impression in this as one of the band of brothers.  William Reynolds (The Thing That Couldn't Die,  The FBI) and Jack Kelly (Maverick) round out the cast.   The sleepy-eyed Domergue is sensual as Lisa. Perhaps, I picked the wrong film to watch at the time but it was boring to me.  Competently made, it was just lacking.  Still, I have to rate it a bit higher than The Thing That Couldn't Die even though I enjoyed the latter much more. 2.5 stars out of 5.

Quote from: rekcuf on May 17, 2016, 05:34:06 PM
Last Action Hero. Arnold Schwarzenegger was the tits in '93. Now, he has tits... :(

He's still great.

Chine

A film I was in was on Netflix years ago. It was my first indie film after having primarily only worked on stage. It earned my SAG card. We were in the NY Film Festival in 2001. Next time it's on facebook, I'll post. It was a crazy silly movie.  So I don't expect great reviews.

coaster

Quote from: albrecht on May 17, 2016, 05:28:45 PM
Yeah, it is always fun to go to the local fair or see them on payday. Duded up to go out to the dancehalls.
ps: "Wild Strawberries" is one my favorite films. Bergman did some great stuff and himself a very complex character. If you can find in on the interwebs CBC (Canada's version of NPR) had an interview with Liv Ullmann that was very interesting. Found it

holy shit, you may be my next favorite poster ever. be warned.
Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 17, 2016, 05:45:48 PM
I spent far too much time on that last review.  The fact is that despite the low rating, I rather enjoyed it. 

haha. mine suck. i love your reviews bud. This is your thread, were just posting in it. Believe me. You win.
Quote from: Chine on May 17, 2016, 05:51:43 PM
A film I was in was on Netflix years ago. It was my first indie film after having primarily only worked on stage. It earned my SAG card. We were in the NY Film Festival in 2001. Next time it's on facebook, I'll post. It was a crazy silly movie.  So I don't expect great reviews.
Are you kidding??? I did improv for a number of years just to get into something fun. You got a SAG card, so its worth watching. You know your film is online somewhere. At least send me a message and tell me the title. I'll stay moot. Want to watch it.

coaster

Quote from: rekcuf on May 17, 2016, 05:34:06 PM
well done. have you ever watched Pumping Iron? It also casts some of my favorite bodybuilders from back int the day.
Pumping Iron is a classic, not just for weight lifters and gym goers, but film buffs in general. When Arnie was running for governor, they pulled a still from that where he was smoking a joint on the couch. I think he said, and I dont remember exactly, because i havent seen it in years- "weight lifting is like coming in a girl." then he smoked a joint.
then he became a politician.
its a great character study..

The Leech Woman (1960) is also in the same category.  It is basically about a middle-aged woman (Coleen Gray) who discovers youth in the jungles of Africa.  The only problem with it is that it requires fluid from the penial gland of males. Thus she must kill to retain her youth.  Every time the effects of  the serum fade, she gets significantly older than her present real age.

You feel sorry for this woman at the beginning of the film.  Her husband can't stand to be near her and she is driven to alcoholism. However, the husband wants to use her as a guinea pig on his expedition to Africa to find the ingredients to the mythical serum.  She finds out about his devious motives and when they are captured by the tribe that knows all of the ingredients, she uses him as a male sacrifice to regain her youth and beauty.

The rest of the film involves a love triangle as she lusts after her lawyer, Neil Foster (Grant Williams) who is engaged to Sally (Gloria Talbott).  She seduces him and causes him to question his engagement to Sally.  The rest I'll leave to you.  Again, it  has a great premise but the delivery is flat.  It would make a great R-rated film if made today.  However, as it is, it is also rather boring and predictable.  The acting was competent but not great.  2.25 stars out of 5.

The Above 2 movies can be bought  on the Universal Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection.

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 06:13:06 PM
I would frame this and hang it on my wall.

I would too.  It is a beautiful poster.

coaster

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 17, 2016, 06:11:55 PM
The Leech Woman is also in the same category.  It is basically about a middle-aged woman (Coleen Gray) who discovers youth in the jungles of Africa.  The only problem with it is that it requires fluid from the penial gland of males. Thus she must kill to retain her youth.  Every time the effects of  the serum fade, she gets significantly older than her present real age.

You feel sorry for this woman at the beginning of the film.  Her husband can't stand to be near her and she is driven to alcoholism. However, the husband wants to use her as a guinea pig on his expedition to Africa to find the ingredients to the mythical serum.  She finds out about his devious motives and when they are captured by the tribe that knows all of the ingredients, she uses him as a male sacrifice to regain her youth and beauty.
The rest of the film involves a love triangle as she lusts after her lawyer, Neil Foster (Grant Williams) who is engaged to Sally (Gloria Talbott).  She seduces  him and causes him to question his engagement to Sally.  The rest I'll leave to you.  Again, it  has a great premise but the delivery is flat.  It would make a great R-rated film if made today.  However, as it is, it is also rather boring and predictable.  The acting was competent but not great.  2.25 stars out of 5.

how is that not a great story? I'll admit, I dumbed myself down with a bit of beer tonight, but this sounds fun. give the filmmakers credit, the leech woman was in the late 50's wasnt it? not the best shots, but the plot, lol. that was on point. it knew the audience it was trying to get.
thats on my list. literal list. writing shit down. i've went back maybe 20 pages or so right now writing movies down.

Quote from: coaster on May 17, 2016, 06:11:02 PM
well done. have you ever watched Pumping Iron? It also casts some of my favorite bodybuilders from back int the day.
Pumping Iron is a classic, not just for weight lifters and gym goers, but film buffs in general. When Arnie was running for governor, they pulled a still from that where he was smoking a joint on the couch. I think he said, and I dont remember exactly, because i havent seen it in years- "weight lifting is like coming in a girl." then he smoked a joint.
then he became a politician.
its a great character study..

"I'll be back" & "Get to the choppa!"- pure gold. Millions were made. Millions!