• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Holy Ghosts

Quote from: Holy Ghosts on July 27, 2015, 10:25:04 PM
I find I'm too often disappointed by mainstream horror films. Sometimes the scariest things I've seen, though, are under 2 minutes. I put a couple of them in my Top 5 Scariest YouTube Videos list, if you'd like to take a gander.

http://holyghoststories.com/the-scariest-effin-youtube-videos-ive-ever-seen/

In other news, I recently saw "It Follows." One of the finest, most original horror films I've seen in a very long time.

Quote from: Hautex on July 27, 2015, 02:41:17 AM
What if I told you there is a movie called "Rustlers Rhapsody" with this plot that is almost as funny as "Blazing Saddles"

It's a movie that almost demands you are in an altered state and want happy tears to fall out of your face.

Is this the one with Lainie Kazan and Divine?

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 15, 2015, 10:20:00 AM
Ex Machina (2015)

From your image, Cam, a thumbs down for "Ex Machina?"  Rotten Tomatoes loves it but I never know what to think.  I don't mind watching "I Come in Peace."

Quote from: ItsOver on July 28, 2015, 05:05:44 PM
From your image, Cam, a thumbs down for "Ex Machina?"  Rotten Tomatoes loves it but I never know what to think.  I don't mind watching "I Come in Peace."

Ex Machina gets my robot Thumbs Up.  At the time, I was thinking the robot cartoon perfectly represented frustrated AI/sentience.  haha  But it does look a bit disparaging, if not down right self mutilating while attempting self repair.  Google brought that cartoon up as a broken link or something when I was doing a site only search on Benjamin Creme's website .... hmmmm.

I don't want to give anything about Ex Machina away, so will just say, definitely give it a look and enjoy the ride. I was pleasantly surprised, as I for some reason had thought it got panned by critics and had set my expectation level to LOW.

There were moments when I found it deliciously disturbing, so for me it was both both horror and sci fi.

Let me know what you think.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 #105 : The Corpse Vanishes (1989/1942)

b_dubb

Kind of wish I hadn't started watching The Strain. This is good. And I just don't have time.

ItsOver

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on July 28, 2015, 11:18:42 PM
Ex Machina gets my robot Thumbs Up.  At the time, I was thinking the robot cartoon perfectly represented frustrated AI/sentience.  haha  But it does look a bit disparaging, if not down right self mutilating while attempting self repair.  Google brought that cartoon up as a broken link or something when I was doing a site only search on Benjamin Creme's website .... hmmmm.

I don't want to give anything about Ex Machina away, so will just say, definitely give it a look and enjoy the ride. I was pleasantly surprised, as I for some reason had thought it got panned by critics and had set my expectation level to LOW.

There were moments when I found it deliciously disturbing, so for me it was both both horror and sci fi.

Let me know what you think.
Excellent.  Mostly positive reviews from what I've read.  I'll check it out.

What if I told you there is a movie called "Rustlers Rhapsody" with this plot that is almost as funny as "Blazing Saddles"

Tom Beranger: is a singing cowboy-super good guy back when the bad guys in old westerns are starting to shoot back, who only shoots bad guys in the hands and rides a dancing horse while consuming many, many roots with psychotropic effects.

Sexy Mary Lou Henner: (Taxi) is a lady of the evening who only talks dirty

Andy Griffith: is a, supposedly, gay rancher who has very, very, sexy, Sela Ward as a daughter who is also messing around with the ranch boss, Blacki...

GW Bailey:(Rizzo form MASH, Provenzo in Major Crimes) The town drunk who wants to become a "sidekick" to Beranger and now wants to be a "root junkie"

Fernando Rey: from the old spaghetti westerns who is a railroad bad guy you can barely understand, who's men always wear those cool, long duster style coats

And another secret good guy, since only the good guys ever win in old "B" movie westerns...

It's a movie that almost demands you are in an altered state and want happy tears to fall out of your face.

One of the actors in that one playing a baddie called Blackie is Jim Carter, the head butler from Downton Abbey.  I love Rustler's Rhapsody, which while it is a goofy comedy is also an homage to the Western from the days of yore.  It would make a good double feature following Destry Rides Again.  Ok, make it a triple feature along with Blazing Saddles.

paladin1991

Tom Beranger: is a singing cowboy-super good guy back when the bad guys in old westerns are starting to shoot back, who only shoots bad guys in the hands and rides a dancing horse while consuming many, many roots with psychotropic effects.

Sexy Mary Lou Henner: (Taxi) is a lady of the evening who only talks dirty

Andy Griffith: is a, supposedly, gay rancher who has very, very, sexy, Sela Ward as a daughter who is also messing around with the ranch boss, Blacki...

GW Bailey:(Rizzo form MASH, Provenzo in Major Crimes) The town drunk who wants to become a "sidekick" to Beranger and now wants to be a "root junkie"

Fernando Rey: from the old spaghetti westerns who is a railroad bad guy you can barely understand, who's men always wear those cool, long duster style coats

And another secret good guy, since only the good guys ever win in old "B" movie westerns...

I wouldn't advise this movie for just anybody.  You have to be a Confident Heterosexual, like me.

3OctaveFart

Tesla doc MV was talking about on The Spec Sheet a few weeks ago - well done.

He really was the archetypal mad genius.

coaster

It's obviously not a movie that is out yet, but Tarantino's The Hateful Eight looks like it is going to be good. Modern westerns have really been hit or miss, but Tarantino seems to have an eye for period pieces.

Hautex

Quote from: paladin1991 on August 01, 2015, 10:41:10 AM
I wouldn't advise this movie for just anybody.  You have to be a Confident Heterosexual, like me.

Movie should have made a much bigger dent than it has... especially with the "root junkies". And always remember; Blackie could "feel" .... My old friends and neighbors were Roy Rogers and Dale Evans in Apple Valley. Wish I could have been in the room with them and watched the movie. The song at the end just ties everything together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWPH4ueSZI

Catops

So last night after listening to the gabcast I went on Netflix and saw this movie called "Welcome to Me" about a woman who wins the lottery and fulfills her dream to become a talk show host.  It's bizarre and funny.  I recommend it.

zeebo

Indie Game: The Movie (2012)

Documentary about indie game designers working on their projects along with their perspectives on the process.  I thought it would be a light-hearted romp through late nite coding sessions filled with cold pizza & energy drinks.  Not so. 

Actually was a pretty honest look at a pretty un-glamorous, exhausting, and stress-filled endeavor.  I used to think I might want to make some great game, but now I realize I just want a nice bread-and-butter gig, where afterwords I can drink beer and play someone else's games.  But I really respect those willing to go for the glory, be it in video games or any other art form.

b_dubb

"The Knick". I love this show. Game of Thrones is weak tea compared to it.

Brody

Joe Kidd was kind of dull, Rooster Cogburn was fun and Non Stop was pretty good until the bad guys revealed why they did what they did.

chefist

IMO "Paranormal Witness" is the best supernatural documentary type show on TV these days...does anyone else have a favorite paranormal TV show?

Brody

Quote from: chefist on August 27, 2015, 12:37:03 PM
IMO "Paranormal Witness" is the best supernatural documentary type show on TV these days...does anyone else have a favorite paranormal TV show?

Mountain Monsters count?

albrecht

Watching, again, "Sgt. York" on TCM now, at least in my market. Great movie and with great actor Gary Cooper (and some good side and character actors.) And based on a real life good guy, great man, and war hero; Alvin York. Should be shown in schools.

Quote from: pate on September 14, 2015, 01:05:00 AM
Quest For Fire

Its been a long time since I've seen that movie. I remember it being pretty good.
The soundtrack is excellent, I was just listening to it on youtube. This cover art is also very impressive:

this was fun. Icarus in stealth mode with all those blinking lights.... really? long.. long... long... long... long... dramatic shots. it does have its moments. directed by tim russ. good mix of actors. good to see the gang.  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM

Caruthers612

I just finished watching Season 3 of Defiance, the SyFy Channel show starring Julie Benz, Grant Bowler, Jaime Murray and others. I started watching originally because I'm a long-time Julie Benz admirer--she is a stupendous talent and a gorgeous woman. I also like some of the other cast very much. And I love sci fi. The show was never great, but watchable and at times good. It had a clever enough premise, namely an immigrant story, with widely diverse peoples trying to get along in an urban environment during trying times, but adapted to a sci fi setting, where the different "immigrant" groups are different alien (and human) races, and they're all trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic landscape.

The first two seasons were cute, as I say, but then this last season either the writers dropped collective acid or, more likely, a group of network execs made some retarded decisions about the show--like marginalizing Julie Benz's character to the point where she almost wasn't on the show, even though of all the cast she's probably the biggest draw, with her large fan base from her Buffy/Angel and Dexter days. There were moments that were pretty good, and in the last episode or two things improved somewhere, but basically it sucked bull anus. A lot of it was painfully stupid and poor Julie Benz, with her great talent, looked like she was barely enduring it. I hope they let her go so she can pursue something at her level. She's doing a few episodes of Hawaii 5-0 now, although I don't watch that.