• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Jupiter Ascending

boy, girl thing. not much depth. the feel of it reminded me of the 1980 flash gordon movie. it was a fun two hours... 8)

yumyumtree

Some of the dates might be wrong for these.

The Giver 2014(didn't finish this one)
Inception(didn't finish this one either, made no sense to me)
Doubt
Junior Bonner 1972
Harold and Maude 1971
Sterile Cuckoo 1969
Interstellar 2014
August: Osage County 2014
The Gambler 2014
True Confessions 1982
Philomena 2013
The List 2007
White Sands 1992
Poodle Springs 1998

zeebo

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 21, 2015, 09:16:45 PM
Jupiter Ascending

boy, girl thing. not much depth. the feel of it reminded me of the 1980 flash gordon movie. it was a fun two hours... 8)

Ok so loving that movie is one of my guilty pleasures, so gonna check this one out.

To prepare for the fast approaching and glorious return of Hannibal - for its third season - I am re-watching seasons one and two.

While watching the episodes, I find myself reaching for bottles of wine and sharpening the kitchen knives, and my sense of smell is definitely heightened.

Quote from: zeebo on May 21, 2015, 10:37:22 PM
Ok so loving that movie is one of my guilty pleasures, so gonna check this one out.

remember, it is FLASH GORDON and not Flesh Gordon.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS7gSuseE0s

zeebo

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 21, 2015, 10:54:42 PM
remember, it is FLASH GORDON and not Flesh Gordon.  ;D

I don't know which is worse to admit I love, but yeah it's the former one I'm talkin' about.  :D  That movie's a blast, the soundtrack rocks, the visuals are cool, you've got Ming the Merciless, his voluptuous rebellious daughter, the insanity blob that stings you, the flying winged-warriors, the spiked pit battle, the goofy dialogue - I friggin' love that movie and I shall not recant.

SciFiAuthor

Just finished a marathon run of Werner Herzog's "Aguirre: The Wrath of God" (1972) and his epic "Fitzcarraldo" (1982). Magnificent movies. If you haven't seen them look into the circumstances of the filming of the movies before watching. They were filmed under truly brutal conditions.   

zeebo

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 22, 2015, 01:24:47 AM
Just finished a marathon run of Werner Herzog's "Aguirre: The Wrath of God" (1972) and his epic "Fitzcarraldo" (1982). Magnificent movies. If you haven't seen them look into the circumstances of the filming of the movies before watching. They were filmed under truly brutal conditions.

Loved Fitzcarraldo.  Was obsessed with that movie for awhile, watched everything about it.  Haunting and unique movie.  I figured I'm probably in the minority as it's not for everyone but always good to hear of someone else who liked it.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: zeebo on May 22, 2015, 01:32:56 AM
Loved Fitzcarraldo.  Was obsessed with that movie for awhile, watched everything about it.  Haunting and unique movie.  I figured I'm probably in the minority as it's not for everyone but always good to hear of someone else who liked it.

*fistbump*

Not for everybody for sure. But absolutely amazing if you're the type for it. Herzog's still good; "Grizzly Man" and "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" are truly fantastic documentaries.

paladin1991

SFA!  Where you been, bro?  Writing a fucking book?  Post Often!

albrecht

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 22, 2015, 02:06:59 AM
*fistbump*

Not for everybody for sure. But absolutely amazing if you're the type for it. Herzog's still good; "Grizzly Man" and "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" are truly fantastic documentaries.
I love his movies. The documentary about Klaus Kinski My Best Fiend and the documentary about the making of Fitzcaraldo "Burden of Dreams" is a must see.

Fitzcarraldo is quite good. Kinski bugs me to no end though. I like the Bruno S. stuff the best of Herzog, especially Stroszek and Enigma of Kasper Hauser.

https://youtu.be/C9uqPeIYMik

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 22, 2015, 11:13:33 AM
Fitzcarraldo is quite good. Kinski bugs me to no end though. I like the Bruno S. stuff the best of Herzog, especially Stroszek and Enigma of Kasper Hauser.

https://youtu.be/C9uqPeIYMik
Yeah, both are good. I like Kinski. So intense/crazy in his roles (and actually insane or close too it in real life) though the allegations of his daughters are disturbing. But his movies are so good and stressful to watch.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 22, 2015, 10:21:40 AM
SFA!  Where you been, bro?  Writing a fucking book?  Post Often!

Hi Paladin. That's exactly where I've been but I can't stay away now with the new show coming.

Quote from: albrecht on May 22, 2015, 11:13:03 AM
I love his movies. The documentary about Klaus Kinski My Best Fiend and the documentary about the making of Fitzcaraldo "Burden of Dreams" is a must see.

Absolutely, both are great. Another good one from the 70's is a short documentary called "La Soufriere":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMWz_j4RQrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyxMTC8BVo0

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 22, 2015, 11:13:33 AM

I can handle Kinski, but I agree the Bruno S. movies were truly great, especially Stroszek.

b_dubb

Werner Herzog was great in his cameo on Parks & Recreation

MABUSE

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 22, 2015, 02:06:59 AM
*fistbump*

In the mid 90's I did a film maker's workshop with Herzog and he is a REALLY fascinating raconteur.  During a break I asked him about "Aguirre."  He laughed and told me that the idea began when he was a grad student, essentially, and his flatmate was having an epic row with his (the flatmate's) girlfriend.  Werner hid in the bathroom to avoid getting dragged in to it and having to witness the debacle.   He found a 19th century tome, of the type the Germans were famous for, extremely detailed, elaborated footnoted, over researched and full of arcane information from private libraries, personal correspondences etc.  The actually historical account of the Aguirre Expedition was contained in it, and he told me he got totally lost in it and lay in the bathtub reading until he had finished it, hours and hours later.  He wasn't even sure what day it was when he finally put it down.  He brought a LOT of that to his filmed version IMHO.   

Speaking of Kinski/Herzog.

I'm a bit out of the loop, but there is someone in Romania who is a friend of someone here, or is a contact ... I think he substituted for MV once on a podcast...

Whenever he is mentioned, I envision him appearing as Klaus did in Herzog's  Nosferatu the Vampyre.

Bellgab's "Man in Romania":

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: MABUSE on May 23, 2015, 11:11:36 PM
In the mid 90's I did a film maker's workshop with Herzog and he is a REALLY fascinating raconteur.  During a break I asked him about "Aguirre."  He laughed and told me that the idea began when he was a grad student, essentially, and his flatmate was having an epic row with his (the flatmate's) girlfriend.  Werner hid in the bathroom to avoid getting dragged in to it and having to witness the debacle.   He found a 19th century tome, of the type the Germans were famous for, extremely detailed, elaborated footnoted, over researched and full of arcane information from private libraries, personal correspondences etc.  The actually historical account of the Aguirre Expedition was contained in it, and he told me he got totally lost in it and lay in the bathtub reading until he had finished it, hours and hours later.  He wasn't even sure what day it was when he finally put it down.  He brought a LOT of that to his filmed version IMHO.

Fantastic story. He really is an amazing director with his ideas on "ecstatic truth" in storytelling. In writing novels there is a certain "truth" that arises when you write from a position of personal experience. If you've gone through something close to what your protagonist is put through in your story it telescopes through to the reader and feels "authentic". Herzog does this with his films. If you want to tell a story about hoisting a steam ship over a mountain then you must go through actually hoisting a steamship over a mountain. If you want to tell the story of Aguirre, head into the jungle and live with the Indians and eat fish from the river and get verbally assaulted by Kinski every day and you'll make a masterpiece. He's right and in my view he's never made a compromised, bad or sell out film. Commercial Hollywood gets that kind of thing so wrong so often, unfortunately. 

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 24, 2015, 12:12:34 AM
Fantastic story.

I agree. I haven't been this riveted to a ~tub story~ since Laura Petrie got her big toe stuck in the bathtub's faucet.

And well, that's been too long.

MABUSE

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on May 24, 2015, 12:20:30 AM
I agree. I haven't been this riveted to a ~tub story~ since Laura Petrie got her big toe stuck in the bathtub's faucet.

And well, that's been too long.

Oh lord...
I haven't thought about that in literally DECADES!

albrecht

Quote from: MABUSE on May 23, 2015, 11:11:36 PM
Interesting. Yes, he puts so much into his movies (and his actors and production crews) into them. I so like acting and reality on film versus fake sets and, worse, much worse, CGI. And he also "ate his shoe!"
Off subject, sorta, but skip over to Bergman I heard a cool interview with Liv Ulmann on CBC the other day. Had some interesting things to say about her work and working with, married to, Bergman- another GREAT director and writer (Wild Strawberries is one of my favorite films but he made so many other great ones.) http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/wachtel-on-the-arts-liv-ullmann-1.2990829 (but I think you can find for free somewhere, as I did, but don't recall where.)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2015, 05:23:05 PM
Interesting. Yes, he puts so much into his movies (and his actors and production crews) into them. I so like acting and reality on film versus fake sets and, worse, much worse, CGI. And he also "ate his shoe!"
Off subject, sorta, but skip over to Bergman I heard a cool interview with Liv Ulmann on CBC the other day. Had some interesting things to say about her work and working with, married to, Bergman- another GREAT director and writer (Wild Strawberries is one of my favorite films but he made so many other great ones.) http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/wachtel-on-the-arts-liv-ullmann-1.2990829 (but I think you can find for free somewhere, as I did, but don't recall where.)

The really nice thing about Herzog is that he's still very much active. He's got a movie out now, "Queen of the Desert" that I haven't seen yet but can't wait to rent. I loved when he ate his shoe because Errol Morris actually finished a film <g>.

I agree, Bergman was amazing. A sort of a sad figure though, he kind of just stopped making movies seriously after a bogus income tax evasion charge in Sweden and didn't use the last 25 years of his life very productively. I remember in the 90's and early 2000's I would hear people talking about him as though he were dead. I was like "Um, no, Ingmar Bergman's still alive" and they were shocked.

Incidentally, Max von Sydow might be my favorite actor. He was awesome when he worked with Bergman.

albrecht

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on May 24, 2015, 08:07:18 PM
The really nice thing about Herzog is that he's still very much active. He's got a movie out now, "Queen of the Desert" that I haven't seen yet but can't wait to rent. I loved when he ate his shoe because Errol Morris actually finished a film <g>.

I agree, Bergman was amazing. A sort of a sad figure though, he kind of just stopped making movies seriously after a bogus income tax evasion charge in Sweden and didn't use the last 25 years of his life very productively. I remember in the 90's and early 2000's I would hear people talking about him as though he were dead. I was like "Um, no, Ingmar Bergman's still alive" and they were shocked.

Incidentally, Max von Sydow might be my favorite actor. He was awesome when he worked with Bergman.
Agreed on all points. Like many an actor, especially foreign ones, von Sydow sometimes takes roles even in fairly bad movies but even there he does a good job, especially compared to others, and stands out. And yes, amazing what taxes and government accusations can do to people. He was sort of sad figure with a sort of tortured upbringing and life, though, to be cliche, maybe that helped his movies and plays as he explored those ideas, then again some people can have the same type of upbringing/experiences and turn out completely different, for better or worse.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: albrecht on May 24, 2015, 08:47:35 PM
Agreed on all points. Like many an actor, especially foreign ones, von Sydow sometimes takes roles even in fairly bad movies but even there he does a good job, especially compared to others, and stands out. And yes, amazing what taxes and government accusations can do to people. He was sort of sad figure with a sort of tortured upbringing and life, though, to be cliche, maybe that helped his movies and plays as he explored those ideas, then again some people can have the same type of upbringing/experiences and turn out completely different, for better or worse.

Complete agreement. So what do you think of Harmony Korine's work if you've seen it? I'm admittedly conflicted and unsure.