• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

albrecht

Quote from: George Drooly on May 22, 2014, 04:55:02 AM
First of all, you might consider actually reading the three whole posts between my post and yours. Not much work, but it helps you look like less of a trigger-happy troll.

Secondly, this is a thread about movies, independent of any relation to C2CAM or its guests.
Firstly, the posts about the Black Dahlia murders were more about the murder not the only one movie made about the incident (and some tv special as I recall). Certainly more actual movies were made by Disney, Marilyn Monroe, or even Corey Feldman and Roseanne Barr. So my post has more to do with "movies" than your prior speculations about an awful crime related to a movie that dramatized it. Good speculations but certainly more than just about a "movie." So not appropriate for this thread.
Secondly, I was curious if the subject, or Hollyweird conspiracy abuse stuff, was ever raised on C2C or with Art Bell as the whole website is about that. Not movies.

yumyumtree

Well, the Marilyn case would make a great movie, but I suspect that the Kennedys still are influential, and idolized enough that even someone like Oliver Stone wouldn't touch it. And an Indie filmmaker brave enough to do so wouldn't be able to get backing. Maybe in another 50 years, when everybody remotely connected to it is dead, and the case, Marilyn's life, has entered folklore. I'm confident that people will still be interested in her even hundreds of years after her death.

albrecht

Quote from: yumyumtree on May 22, 2014, 08:24:32 AM
Well, the Marilyn case would make a great movie, but I suspect that the Kennedys still are influential, and idolized enough that even someone like Oliver Stone wouldn't touch it. And an Indie filmmaker brave enough to do so wouldn't be able to get backing. Maybe in another 50 years, when everybody remotely connected to it is dead, and the case, Marilyn's life, has entered folklore. I'm confident that people will still be interested in her even hundreds of years after her death.
Indeed, I'm a little surprised nobody has (at least with the Kennedys involved death theory). Maybe the new book will spur it. Certainly there are many people still have lots of interest in her. At least a tv movie or something.

yumyumtree

I think the reason is called lawyers. And while there is interest in conspiracy movies in Hollywood, they usually tend to make conservatives, not liberals, look bad. Not always, but usually. There would be no way to do this film without deeply damaging the Camelot myth and Kennedy mystique. No way. Don't forget that a sizable chunk of the population grew up with a big picture of Kennedy on their parents or grandparents wall. This is true for people in Hollywood, in Wash DC and in Flyover country.

BTW, John Huston directed Marilyn's last completed film, the Misfits. So how's that for tying the threads nicely together?

Harrison Bergeron 1/12

A short film adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron, 2081 depicts a dystopian future in which, thanks to the 212th Amendment to the Constitution and the unceasing vigilance of the United States Handicapper General, everyone is "finally equal...." The strong wear weights, the beautiful wear masks and the intelligent wear earpieces that fire off loud noises to keep them from taking unfair advantage of their brains. It is a poetic tale of triumph and tragedy about a broken family, a brutal government, and an act of defiance that changes everything. Featuring an original score performed by the world-renowned Kronos Quartet (Requiem for a Dream) and narration by Academy Award Nominee Patricia Clarkson (Far From Heaven, Goodnight and Good Luck), 2081 stars James Cosmo (Braveheart, Trainspotting), Julie Hagerty (Airplane!, What About Bob?) and Armie Hammer (The Social Network).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xweayp_2081-universal-absurdity_shortfilms

Catsmile

Just finished watching NBCs Hannibal season 2.
In my opinion, it is one of the best shows on TV that nobody is watching.
Although it may not be everyones cup of tea, due to the subject matter.

Hannibal has some of the most beautiful macabre cinematographic scenes, and locations with gothic hints that I have seen, on any network TV program airing today, period.
Good acting, well written, doesn't spoon feed the audience. Although some of the shows are a little uneven throughout it's 2 season run, overall it's really a watchable show. The dark nature of the show makes it hard to instantly digest. Going back for seconds, or thirds, may give your palate time to adjust to the flavor Hannibal cooks up for your viewing pleasure.

You have to watch, pay attention, and learn whats going on between the characters as they develop, not just the dialogue, but the body language as well. Sometimes it's whats left unsaid, or a characters subtle reaction that creates the mystery, intrigue and tension. Stirring your thoughts, making you wonder if what you've seen and heard are true, or are you being misdirected. Much like Lecters next meal. The interplay between the two main characters drives you onward, awaiting and discovering whats about to unfold next. Season 2 left me hungry, and wanting more. Now I await the next course, salivating at what Hannibal will serve next season forthcoming.

paladin1991

Quote from: Catsmile on May 24, 2014, 02:47:29 AM
Just finished watching NBCs Hannibal season 2.
In my opinion, it is one of the best shows on TV that nobody is watching.
Although it may not be everyones cup of tea, due to the subject matter.

Hannibal has some of the most beautiful macabre cinematographic scenes, and locations with gothic hints that I have seen, on any network TV program airing today, period.
Good acting, well written, doesn't spoon feed the audience. Although some of the shows are a little uneven throughout it's 2 season run, overall it's really a watchable show. The dark nature of the show makes it hard to instantly digest. Going back for seconds, or thirds, may give your palate time to adjust to the flavor Hannibal cooks up for your viewing pleasure.

You have to watch, pay attention, and learn whats going on between the characters as they develop, not just the dialogue, but the body language as well. Sometimes it's whats left unsaid, or a characters subtle reaction that creates the mystery, intrigue and tension. Stirring your thoughts, making you wonder if what you've seen and heard are true, or are you being misdirected. Much like Lecters next meal. The interplay between the two main characters drives you onward, awaiting and discovering whats about to unfold next. Season 2 left me hungry, and wanting more. Now I await the next course, salivating at what Hannibal will serve next season forthcoming.
Thanks,  I'll check it out.

Kelt

Animal House.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Quote from: Evil Twin Of Zen on May 23, 2014, 09:01:14 PM
Harrison Bergeron 1/12

A short film adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron, 2081 depicts a dystopian future in which, thanks to the 212th Amendment to the Constitution and the unceasing vigilance of the United States Handicapper General, everyone is "finally equal...." The strong wear weights, the beautiful wear masks and the intelligent wear earpieces that fire off loud noises to keep them from taking unfair advantage of their brains. It is a poetic tale of triumph and tragedy about a broken family, a brutal government, and an act of defiance that changes everything. Featuring an original score performed by the world-renowned Kronos Quartet (Requiem for a Dream) and narration by Academy Award Nominee Patricia Clarkson (Far From Heaven, Goodnight and Good Luck), 2081 stars James Cosmo (Braveheart, Trainspotting), Julie Hagerty (Airplane!, What About Bob?) and Armie Hammer (The Social Network).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xweayp_2081-universal-absurdity_shortfilms

One of my favorite Vonnegut stories ever. The image of ballet dancers wearing weights so no one would excel in grace stayed with me for years. I'd very much like to see the film.

Just finished The Sixth Sense for probably the upteenth time. This movie resonates for whatever reason. I always lose it beginning with Cole's talk with his mother in the car about her mother, and then Malcom's reveal where he goes on to tell Anna she was never second. I always thought his afterlife of bliss was that one perfect moment from their wedding.

Tarbaby

I like sixth sense a lot.

Yesterday I watched a movie called "TED", 2012. Here's my  question: Why the hell is this rated a four star movie? Yes, maybe, if you're 11. Eight-year-old boy wishes his teddy bear could talk; zaniness ensues. There's two hours of my life I can't get back. And here I thought it was about the TED talks. ;-)

yumyumtree

I love the Sixth Sense. Even when you've seen it and know the ending, it still has appeal, I guess partly because you start looking for things you might not have noticed before. I liked Signs quite a lot also.

Dead Shadows

don't waste your time. here is the only thing worth watching in the movie. i give you baseball bat fu.

Baseball Bat Massacre - Dead Shadows

RcCle

Just saw "Days of Futures Past"  The best one of the whole series.  My only complaint is the guy with the camcorder wouldn't hold it straight and the image went out of focus a few times.

Quote from: yumyumtree on May 27, 2014, 11:21:20 PM
I love the Sixth Sense. Even when you've seen it and know the ending, it still has appeal, I guess partly because you start looking for things you might not have noticed before. I liked Signs quite a lot also.

I liked Signs, too. Shyamalan has an early film 'Wide Awake' that was sort of a predecessor to both these, having a supernatural element to it. Nice film. I think he's a good director. I wish he'd get his groove back.

onan

Just saw A Million Ways to Die In the West. I haven't laughed that loud in a very long time.

The Normal Heart.  I'm watching everything I can on HBO until I cancel it next month.  Trying the no cable route for a while....
Anyway, I haven't sobbed so hard since I last watched Wuthering Heights.    :'(

I've pulled out my copies of Young Frankenstein, Stripes, Dogma, and Lust in the Dust.  Nothing but laughter for me tonight!!!   :)

ItsOver

Quote from: Treading Water on May 31, 2014, 06:19:26 PM
The Normal Heart.  I'm watching everything I can on HBO until I cancel it next month.  Trying the no cable route for a while....
Anyway, I haven't sobbed so hard since I last watched Wuthering Heights.    :'(

I've pulled out my copies of Young Frankenstein, Stripes, Dogma, and Lust in the Dust.  Nothing but laughter for me tonight!!!   :)
Just thinking about "Young Frankenstein" makes me laugh.  Enjoy.

paladin1991

Quote from: ItsOver on May 31, 2014, 06:40:17 PM
Just thinking about "Young Frankenstein" makes me laugh.  Enjoy.
Oh Man!  'Young Frankenstein.'  That stars Terri Garr.  Man oh man, when I was a kid, she really did it for me.  I mean, I had this huge thing for her.

OH boy! 

Tarbaby

Quote from: onan on May 31, 2014, 03:15:54 PM
Just saw A Million Ways to Die In the West. I haven't laughed that loud in a very long time.
thanks! I've been waiting to hear feedback on that one from the locals here. It seems that everyone loves it.

Tarbaby

Quote from: paladin1991 on May 31, 2014, 11:23:00 PM
Oh Man!  'Young Frankenstein.'  That stars Terri Garr.  Man oh man, when I was a kid, she really did it for me.  I mean, I had this huge thing for her.

OH boy!
same here. I always had a fondness for Teri Garr. And I remember a year or two back she came out on a talk show after a long hiatus and evidently she had had a stroke.

Her Left arm seem to be paralyzed and half of her face was slightly droopy. But I still loved her. And I wanted to give her a hug. To do something like that… Not only a lovely person but incredibly courageous.

Tarbaby

Watched: PANIC IN YEAR ZERO, 1962. Ray Milland. Los Angeles is bombed in  global conflict and a man fights for the survival of his family as they head for the country. Extremely dated yet somehow compelling. Think Ozzie and Harriet face Armageddon.

WORLD WITHOUT END, 1956. Hughe Marlo, Rod Taylor, mostly unknown cast. Another B-movie like the one above. But in this one four astronauts get sucked into a time vortex and end up in the year 2508 A.D. They crash land on a planet only to find eventually that it's earth. Above ground the land is ruled by mutants and below ground are the remnants of civilization, beaten-down and anemic. Forgot to mention, this is post apocalyptic. At one point during the time vortex a crew member looks at the gauges and says, "we're going 100,000 miles per second ". Moments later they crash into a planet and they all get knocked out. Shouldn't have been turned to dust particles at that speed?
  They decide to explore the planet and travel about 12 miles where they find a cave. They go into the cave and are immediately attacked by giant spiders. Just as happen in a movie called "Cat-Women on the Moon".

One more: TWO SMART PEOPLE, Lloyd Nolan, John Hodiak, Elisha Cook Jr AND Lucille Ball, 1956. Entertaining enough but watch out for the huge plot holes. The most notable thing about this movie is how absolutely terrible Lucille Ball's acting is this early in her career. Amateurish, wooden and terribly miscast. Elisha Cook on the other hand was delightfully evil and maniacal. And loathsome. All about conmen; they end up in New Orleans during the Mardi Gras.

Goodbye World
                       i liked this
                                       and it was free

Goodbye World Official Trailer 1 (2014) - Adrian Grenier, Ben McKenzie Movie HD

b_dubb

Watching season 2 of Longmire. I frequently find myself in disbelief as to how hawt Katee Sackhoff is. That's a good look for her.

Quote from: b_dubb on June 03, 2014, 10:20:50 PM
Watching season 2 of Longmire. I frequently find myself in disbelief as to how hawt Katee Sackhoff is. That's a good look for her.
so true. she is in Oculus with Karen Gillan. doc says that i should be able to blink in a few days...

paladin1991

Quote from: b_dubb on June 03, 2014, 10:20:50 PM
Just saw her in the latest installment of the 'Riddick' sequels.  Her character of, what else, Dahl, strips down for a shower scene.  Caught me by surprise, my son took it in stride.

Fri: all 10 'Band of Brothers
Sat: Lawrence of Arabia
Sun: Bridge on the River Kwai
Sun: Doctor Strangelove
Mon:Tora Tora Tora
Tue: The Longest Day
Tonight: Casablanca

Kelt

Monday: Nothing
Tuesday:Nothing
Wednesday:Nothing
Thursday:Nothing
Friday:Nothing
Saturday:Nothing
Sunday:Game of Thrones

paladin1991

Finally saw 'Watchmen.'  Long story.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  My son was left feeling like it should have ended like 'Iron Man' or 'Captain America.'  Didn't like the ending.
My explanation to him was that 'Watchmen' took place in a parallel universe, hence a different timeline and the finish.  Also explained that the movie finale paralleled the real world here where compromises are made and good guys sacrificed.  He like that even less.