• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Roswells, Art

I Just finished watching the first season of Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime. It's pretty good. Don't let the fact that it's a USA network show or that Christian Slater is in it dissuade you from checking it out. It's a lot like Fight Club but without the fight club and it knows it. It has a USA channel budget but it goes deeper into the philosophy that Fight Club was based on.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 23, 2019, 06:34:10 PM
I Just finished watching the first season of Mr. Robot on Amazon Prime. It's pretty good. Don't let the fact that it's a USA network show or that Christian Slater is in it dissuade you from checking it out. It's a lot like Fight Club but without the fight club and it knows it. It has a USA channel budget but it goes deeper into the philosophy that Fight Club was based on.

I enjoyed it and that’s exactly how I described it to a friend. It’s sorta like Fight Club without the fighting.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on April 23, 2019, 09:24:41 PM
I enjoyed it and that’s exactly how I described it to a friend. It’s sorta like Fight Club without the fighting.

Right on. When I was making my post you are one of the bellgabbers I had in mind that might like the show. So that's cool. I'm glad you saw it.

Weird synchronicity, the Lee Hazlewood Song, Some Velvet Morning they put into the intro of one of the shows.

I really don't like his songs but some people here do.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Roswells, Art on April 23, 2019, 09:49:45 PM
Right on. When I was making my post you are one of the bellgabbers I had in mind that might like the show. So that's cool. I'm glad you saw it.

Weird synchronicity, the Lee Hazlewood Song, Some Velvet Morning they put into the intro of one of the shows.

I really don't like his songs but some people here do.

You’re kinda late to the game though. I saw the first 3 seasons ( I think) about 5 years ago. I never did see how it all concluded though, if it did. I thought it was one of those bits of fiction that has a lot of truth in it. I’ll have to see if I can pick it up where I left off soon.

Taaroa

I watched the new Avengers and it was enjoyable enough, but this video makes a salient point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WqNVfH-zNw

ItsOver

Quote from: Taaroa on May 06, 2019, 08:43:48 AM
I watched the new Avengers and it was enjoyable enough, but this video makes a salient point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WqNVfH-zNw
Ha!  "Get a life."  Yeah, I lost interest in comic book stuff after elementary school.  I've moved on to more mature stuff, like BellGab. Praise Liberace.

Taaroa

John Wick 3.
Not as good as the previous two, but still an enjoyable enough action film. Needlessly has another cliffhanger ending and doesn't resolve anything at all.

Not too sure what to watch TV wise now that GoT is finished and nothing else is currently airing. Been considering giving Three Kingdoms another spin after trying it a few years ago and getting burnt out by the length. It is very good, full of plots and intrigue and putting Game of Thrones to shame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9MzFD9T-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dftx28aZ46c

pate

Newman

About Joseph Newman, guy apparently built a perpetual motion machine.

I found the ending a bit sad...

-p

pate

I think the LED backlighting has failed on my big TV, need to find a repair shop.  Watched a youtube video about fixing it myself, but I think I will leave it up to the Samsung repair guys.  My Sat-Sun footballing is ruined, will probably have to go to the bar for the Chiefs/Raiders game tomorrow, that discussion belongs in another thread I think.

Anyhow, I am reduced to watching Amazon Prime stuff on my computer.

Just finished watching Artic, pretty good although it reminded me of the Robert Redford All is Lost movie only in Antartica or wherever, not much dialogue.

Just started Hostile, it looks promising.  Same vein as the Artic & All is Lost, but this one has more dialogue and so far some flashbacks to life prior to "present day."  I am interested to see how it all ties together.

Both of today's viewings are on Amazon Prime, (you can watch for free if you have the Amazon Prime service, perquisites!), I believe "All is Lost" was on AP back when I watched it, could still be there.

Can definitely recommend the first two mentioned, and will tentatively recommend Hostile.

Cheers!

pate

For desert I have elected to screen Guns of the Apocalypse

This one looks like it could be B-movie good, Ed Woodian maybe.  Or it could just suck...

pate

This was playing at the bar the last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XlJEFVmSBc

Never herd of it, apparently 9 Seasons?

Last night's episode featured a can of PBR that was an obvious historical anachronism;  clearly had the modern "pull tab" and not the razor-sharp single piece removable pull-tab that would have been on the can at the thyme.

I thought they had production people called "continuity" or somesuch that were supposed to catch stuff like that?  I suspended my disbelief, the show was amusing even to a guy that never got into the "slasher" horror-genre.  I enjoy the cerebral horror stuff more.

-p

pate

Goliath Season 2, apparently season #3 coming soon.  (Hope The Tick comes back, funny stuff that).

Anyway, liked Season 1 of "Goliath" Billy Bobby T. is one of my faves.  Had some "starr" power 1st season:  William Hurt, the black guy from Lost that was always yelling "WALT!?!" and some others I am not remembering.

Looks like Lou Diamond Phillip's is in season 2, think he was in 1 as well but it's been a very long thyme since I saw season 1...

blahbitty.

-p

pate

Electric Dreams  Hollywood once again disinters PKD for some "fresh" ideas.  Haha, I am not complaining, at least they credit the guy prominently.  I believe I have watched the first three episodes, it's all-right.  I hope they do a take on PKD's short-story "Roog," that one always amused me.

-p

ItsOver

Saw "Joker." Not bad for today's movies.  Phoenix is indeed a good actor.  A portrayal of a man gone mad and a good story for explaining how the Joker came to be.  Not the typical comic character movie gone CGI crazy.  Thank God.

Lilith

Quote from: ItsOver on October 10, 2019, 05:50:09 PM
Saw "Joker." Not bad for today's movies.  Phoenix is indeed a good actor.  A portrayal of a man gone mad and a good story for explaining how the Joker came to be.  Not the typical comic character movie gone CGI crazy.  Thank God.

I saw it.  I'm not sorry I saw it, but I wouldn't want to watch it again.  It was a good example of the total incompetence of the Medical Profession when it comes to "medication" and "counseling practices" IMO.

Taaroa

I saw half of Loro at an Italian film festival. Made by the same guy who did the Young Pope, it's about Silvio Berlusconi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v0QlF_6j9Q

A very stylish and well acted movie, but it's let down by the glacial speed of the plot and how meandering it is. I tapped out after two hours at the intermission, but there was another 2 hours left. Just as an example of how slow it is: Berlusconi doesn't even appear on screen for the first 45min.

I feel like it would've made for a good tv show with more time to flesh out, but I still think I'll try and watch the rest of it.

Also, whoever chose white subtitles with no black outline for this movie should be shot - there were scenes where they were completely illegible because they were up against a white backdrop.

Lilith

I watched Official Secrets.  I though it was very good, although Keiras performance was not up to her standard IMO, and was very lack luster.

Dr. MD MD

I was at a friend’s earlier this evening who had just subscribed to the new Disney streaming service. Most impressive! We watched the first two episodes of The Mandalorian. I said to my friend before it started that this could go one of two ways: snowflake or alpha male. I’m hoping for alpha male but thinking probably snowflake. I was wrong. It was pretty much full on alpha male and pretty gnarly at that. It really put the wars back in Star Wars and I’m looking forward to more. Between this and the Last Jedi my faith in the force is somewhat restored.

Quote from: ItsOver on October 10, 2019, 05:50:09 PM

I have kind of refused to see it.  I'm kind of tired of "dark" movies.  I was hoping they would go back to the original incarnation of the Joker where his face was plastered with that grin as in the movie, The Man Who Laughs, that was the direct inspiration for the Joker.

That and I've been underwhelmed with Joaquin Phoenix in his last few movies.  I wasn't a big fan of the series of Batman films made by Christopher Nolan.  I kind of liked the Burton films but even he didn't get it completely right.  I would make a noirish version of Batman where he strikes fear in villains.  I'd probably set it in the 40's.  Yes, it would probably be a somewhat dark and cynical film but maybe with a few rays of light.  Not completely grim.

I'll probably catch Joker via rental but my wife refuses to watch it.  I too am tired of comic book movies.  I liked them for a while but I'm burnt out on them.  I want movies that delve into character and have interesting storylines.  I'm sick to death of CGI.  I'm sorry, CGI movies look as fake as the old vampire films with a rubber bat hanging on a string.  At least those old films are fun in a nostalgic way and the filmmakers did the best they could with the limited resources they had.  Give me Harryhausen any day over contemporary CGI.

I did see It, part 2 and it was very good but I wished both movies had been set in the 50's and 80's as the original book was.  I wanted to see a giant Buddy Holly wreaking havoc on Derry.

Can we also have real soundtracks on movies again instead of noises that tests the limits of a woofer?  I yearn for composers in the vein of Goldsmith, Herrmann, Bernstein and John Williams. Hans Zimmer sucks.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 16, 2019, 07:21:54 PM
Can we also have real soundtracks on movies again instead of noises that tests the limits of a woofer?  I yearn for composers in the vein of Goldsmith, Herrmann, Bernstein and John Williams. Hans Zimmer sucks.

Hey, buddy! Good to see you back and posting. :)

Now put some damn pants on! >:(

ksm32

Dead Ringers  1988  David Cronenberg film

Jeremy Irons, favorite actor. Hands down.  Always been one of my desert island list movies. Dark as fuck.

https://youtu.be/dCEManN_zYI

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on November 16, 2019, 07:21:54 PM
I tend to agree, but I enjoyed Zimmer's work for "Gladiator," which was also the vehicle for one of Joaquin Phoenix's better performances.  He made a helluva bad guy.

http://youtu.be/NBE-uBgtINg

"Gladiator" is one of the finest movies ever made.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on November 16, 2019, 07:43:37 PM
Hey, buddy! Good to see you back and posting. :)

Now put some damn pants on! >:(

Not happening! ;)
Good to see you too.