• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

the_Stranger

Quote from: Rix Gins on April 25, 2017, 09:33:00 PM
One of my favorite 'westerns' was the original Westworld.  Yul Brynner was absolutely great in the roll of the cold, calculating, gun-slinging robot.
Great performance by Brynner in this one.
The TV series is pretty good, too.
The sequel, Futureworld, is lambasted by online critics, but it's still a fun romp.
Stuart Margolin, Angel from Rockford Files, plays a good character in the film.

yumyumtree

Quote from: zeebo on April 28, 2017, 04:53:19 PM
This would make a good thread topic actually.  "Remakes you don't hate" lol.  I have one - Totall Recall.  I think it flopped but I thought it was kinda cool.  Some great action sequences and Kate Beckinsale was really good.  Plus it has Jessica Biel, which is always a bonus imho.

Lolita is a remake I don't hate, but it's not a western.  I also liked both the Tyrone Power and Bill Murray versions of "A Razor's Edge" Except in the Bill Murray version, they threw in a whole made-up World War I back story that wasn't in the book, and was even contrary to some stuff in the book(similar to what was done in Godfather III).  I finally concluded that it was to give Brian Doyle Murray, Bill's brother, a job. The Naomi Watts version of The Painted Veil is at least as good as the Garbo version. I love the Painted Veil, anyway. More Maugham.

So this winter, there were lots of movies in the theatres I wanted to see, including the latest Star Wars, but I didn't have time or energy to see all of them.  Now I have time, and I have Regal tickets I got with credit card points, and there's hardly anything I want to see. Summer movies tend to be things that I don't want to see, with some exceptions. I would like to see The Shack, because I like Sam Worthington, the trailer looked good, and I want to see what the Evangelicals have their drawers in a twist about.

yumyumtree

Quote from: GravitySucks on April 29, 2017, 01:26:21 PM
I have hated Bruce Dern ever since he killed John Wayne.

According to my go-to old movie guy, it was probably radiation that killed John Wayne.  He said that he, Susan Hayward and some other people, did a movie on location in a place that turned out to be radioactive(I forget the name of it) and they all died of cancer within a few years.  It would be interesting to know if the crew got cancer too.

Well, I guess " a few years" is not correct.  According to imdb, the movie was called The Conquerors and it was made in Utah in 1956.

Rix Gins

Quote from: yumyumtree on April 30, 2017, 04:46:38 PM
According to my go-to old movie guy, it was probably radiation that killed John Wayne.  He said that he, Susan Hayward and some other people, did a movie on location in a place that turned out to be radioactive(I forget the name of it) and they all died of cancer within a few years.  It would be interesting to know if the crew got cancer too.

Well, I guess " a few years" is not correct.  According to imdb, the movie was called The Conquerors and it was made in Utah in 1956.

That, and all those cigarettes he smoked.

GravitySucks

Found this, so maybe. Wayne got lung cancer in 1964 and died in 1979.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/374/did-john-wayne-die-of-cancer-caused-by-a-radioactive-movie-set

trostol

watching American Gods atm..so far pretty damn good..gonna have to watch the book at some point

trostol

dunno if any one watched Trailer Park Boys..but that 7 year hiatus between season 7 and 8 did not do good things for the guys

whoozit

Quote from: trostol on April 30, 2017, 07:14:57 PM
watching American Gods atm..so far pretty damn good..gonna have to watch the book at some point
It's a great book.  I'm scared to watch but will tomorrow night.  Too much stuff going on right now.

coaster

Quote from: trostol on April 30, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
dunno if any one watched Trailer Park Boys..but that 7 year hiatus between season 7 and 8 did not do good things for the guys
Remember that other show they made? It was called something like drunk and drugs show? Trainwreck. They milked the tpb teet dry. Didn't help that mike smith was accused of beating up his girlfriend. Tpb was great in the early seasons. The first movie they made was decent too.

trostol

Quote from: coaster on May 01, 2017, 02:10:01 PM
Remember that other show they made? It was called something like drunk and drugs show? Trainwreck. They milked the tpb teet dry. Didn't help that mike smith was accused of beating up his girlfriend. Tpb was great in the early seasons. The first movie they made was decent too.

yeah i am seeing that..season 8 seems to struggle..i mean really how many times can you show these guys doing something both illegal and stupid and keep it humorous

trostol

Quote from: whoozit on May 01, 2017, 02:06:12 PM
It's a great book.  I'm scared to watch but will tomorrow night.  Too much stuff going on right now.

for the most part i have seen it being overwhelming enjoyed and praised..just lil pockets here and there of people that didn't like it

Yes, it was The Conqueror where Duke played Genghis Khan.  Dick Powell directed it.  Powell, Hayward, Wayne, Pedro Armendariz, Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt and  Lee Van Cleef  all eventually got cancer.  In Van Cleef's case, he died from heart failure while battling throat cancer.  The others died from the cancer.  I'm not convinced that the radiation did them in.  Most of them were heavy smokers and while the radiation may have hastened their demise,  I have a feeling if they didn't smoke then they would probably have died from something else. William Conrad, Ted de Corsia and Leo Gordon were also supporting actors in the film and they failed to get cancer.

coaster

Quote from: trostol on May 01, 2017, 03:37:52 PM
yeah i am seeing that..season 8 seems to struggle..i mean really how many times can you show these guys doing something both illegal and stupid and keep it humorous
They started out with a short film. It was about a guy stealing shopping carts. They really had nothing in the beginning. A few seasons in, they started making money. Animosity, jealousy followed. Tons of bullshit. After the movies came out, the guys who played Corey and Trevor wanted a modest and reasonable raise. They cut them out completely. Wells and trembley  were not the problem. I think it was the insufferable mike smith. Truley an asshole.  Booze and drugs look good in a script, but that dickhead ruined everything.

coaster

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 01, 2017, 03:56:44 PM
Yes, it was The Conqueror where Duke played Genghis Khan.  Dick Powell directed it.  Powell, Hayward, Wayne, Pedro Armendariz, Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt and  Lee Van Cleef  all eventually got cancer.  In Van Cleef's case, he died from heart failure while battling throat cancer.  The others died from the cancer.  I'm not convinced that the radiation did them in.  Most of them were heavy smokers and while the radiation may have hastened their demise,  I have a feeling if they didn't smoke then they would probably have died from something else. William Conrad, Ted de Corsia and Leo Gordon were also supporting actors in the film and they failed to get cancer.
One story said john Wayne had like fifty pounds of compacted fecal matter in his colon before he died. Sounds like bs. He did get the news that he was sick, but refused treatment until he finished filming his last film. Or so the internet tells me.

Quote from: coaster on May 01, 2017, 04:25:03 PM
One story said john Wayne had like fifty pounds of compacted fecal matter in his colon before he died. Sounds like bs. He did get the news that he was sick, but refused treatment until he finished filming his last film. Or so the internet tells me.

Yeah from what I heard, he was quite thin and frail by the time he died.  I suppose it is possible but I read Maureen O'Hara's autobiography and she just mentioned him looking thin and frail.  Also,  Micheal Caine spent quite a bit of time with Duke as his wife was down the hall in the hospital and he remarked that Wayne was very thin and frail.  Caine and Duke had known each other since the mid-60's.  I also read Scott Eyman's bio on Duke and he didn't mention anything like that.

Of course there are some things that just aren't mentioned.  My Dad's balls were the size of a softball when he was dying  from cancer. 50 pounds isn't easy to hide though.

This interview broke my heart when I saw this on TV.  Even though I was just 12, I loved that guy and this was when I started to realize that none of us are getting out of here alive. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8dTWuSIxWc

When Arnold comes on, skip to 5:33.  I don't know why it is cut up like that.  Fuck it, they cut out the bits that teared me up.  He really came across as a very vulnerable person.

chefist

The old Bob and June Wheeler skits on the old "Night Court" still crack me up... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE6brM24yIA

trostol

Quote from: coaster on May 01, 2017, 04:22:07 PM
They started out with a short film. It was about a guy stealing shopping carts. They really had nothing in the beginning. A few seasons in, they started making money. Animosity, jealousy followed. Tons of bullshit. After the movies came out, the guys who played Corey and Trevor wanted a modest and reasonable raise. They cut them out completely. Wells and trembley  were not the problem. I think it was the insufferable mike smith. Truley an asshole.  Booze and drugs look good in a script, but that dickhead ruined everything.

yeah just read that Trevor story last night..and I have been looking to find Cart Boy..can't seem to find it any where..i saw a clip for the pilot and that was a vastly darker show than what it turned out to be..and Honestly...i enjoyed the show..but man Ricky is just TOO dumb at times lol

coaster

Quote from: trostol on May 01, 2017, 06:44:08 PM
yeah just read that Trevor story last night..and I have been looking to find Cart Boy..can't seem to find it any where..i saw a clip for the pilot and that was a vastly darker show than what it turned out to be..and Honestly...i enjoyed the show..but man Ricky is just TOO dumb at times lol
The one thing I loved about the show is every character had a story. Tpb, for all the silly bs, really developed the characters. Lahey, Bubs. Even the lesser folks. JRock hah. I think  I can find Cart Boy.

trostol

Quote from: coaster on May 01, 2017, 07:50:10 PM
The one thing I loved about the show is every character had a story. Tpb, for all the silly bs, really developed the characters. Lahey, Bubs. Even the lesser folks. JRock hah. I think  I can find Cart Boy.

lol actually..of all the Characters...JRock actually bugs me the most

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on May 01, 2017, 08:43:18 PM
lol actually..of all the Characters...JRock actually bugs me the most

What?! JRock is dope as shit, yo! The original wigger!  8)

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 01, 2017, 08:50:38 PM
What?! JRock is dope as shit, yo! The original wigger!  8)

lol i think thats what bugs me..cause there is a shit ton of them around me

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: trostol on May 01, 2017, 10:38:18 PM
lol i think thats what bugs me..cause there is a shit ton of them around me

It was a hilarious episode where he kinda lost his black for awhile and wasn't sure anymore.  ;D

There is a male actor who worked for Hitchcock in the 1940's as an adult and he is still alive.  Can you name him?  I'll give you a hint.  Two of the movies he was in for Hitch start with the letter S.

trostol

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 01, 2017, 10:41:05 PM
It was a hilarious episode where he kinda lost his black for awhile and wasn't sure anymore.  ;D

i watched one of the Christmas specials..it was something that i think was like a flashback...and he was a normal dude..he was so whimpy and it was hilarious

TigerLily

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 01, 2017, 11:19:22 PM
There is a male actor who worked for Hitchcock in the 1940's as an adult and he is still alive.  Can you name him?  I'll give you a hint.  Two of the movies he was in for Hitch start with the letter S.

Norman Lloyd. Saboteur and Spellbound. "A great friend of ours here on TCM." And a great raconteur. Still sharp as a tack. How old is he?

Zetaspeak

So I went to the theater and saw a C2C genre movie about the Phoenix lights called Phoenix Forgotten.

I thought it was bad. Generic "found footage" shake camera. Unlikable characters. Unsatisfactory ending. The movie ended I just shrugged my shoulders and thought "okay"

Quote from: TigerLily on May 02, 2017, 12:42:14 AM
Norman Lloyd. Saboteur and Spellbound. "A great friend of ours here on TCM." And a great raconteur. Still sharp as a tack. How old is he?

102.  That man has some genes. I want what he's got. Good job,  TL.  I knew I could count on you.  :D

I watched Tombstone (1993) and Broken Arrow (1950) last night.

It has been a while since I watched Tombstone.  It was much better than I had remembered.  There were some historical inaccuracies but on the whole, it was a lot more accurate than the other films I had watched about the OK Corral.  It is puzzling to me why the whole story has not been filmed in one movie before.  As important as the shootout was, what happened afterwards was just as interesting with the killing of Morgan Earp and the wounding of Virgil and Wyatt's subsequent vengeance ride. Johnny Ringo most likely was not killed by Doc Holliday as it was shown in the movie.  Holliday, by this time, had a warrant out for him in Arizona, and had been spotted in Leadville, CO around the time Ringo died.  One bullet had been fired from Ringo's gun and it is highly likely that he committed suicide as he had been threatening to do such in the past.  Earp also never saw Holliday on his deathbed but met again with a very ill Holliday in late 1886 at the Windsor Hotel not the Glenwood Springs Hotel and Holliday was still on his feet.  He died roughly a year later in November, 1887, 6 years after the incident at the OK Corral.  Wyatt did not find out about his friend's death until several months later.   

I don't have a lot to say about the acting.  Perhaps the portraits of Curly Bill, Johnny Ringo and Ike Clanton are one-dimensional but then again perhaps richly deserved.  I really loved the performances of Kurt Russell, Sam Elliott, Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn and Powers Boothe in this.  They stood out among the others.  Nice to hear Mitchum as narrator and see Chuck Heston in a small bit as a rancher.  Oh and from the stock company of John Ford, Harry Carey Jr.  While not a perfect film, Tombstone is damn good and deserves its place alongside My Darling Clementine as a classic. 4.5 stars.

After that, I watched Broken Arrow which is one of the most important Westerns ever made as it changed the perception of moviemakers toward Indians.  Ford always treated them with respect but they were still different while B movies had painted Indians negatively into a corner.  This was the first film since 1925's The Vanishing American to show that Indians were much like the white man.  They had dreams and desires just like the rest of us.  The story is basically true.  Tom Jeffords was indeed the friend of Cochise in real life and helped bring about a treaty between the Apaches and Americans.  The movie ends on a positive note with Cochise optimistic about the future of his people.  Cochise would die  of old age in 1874, 2 years after the treaty.  This was fortunate for him as the US govt. broke the treaty and moved the tribe to an arid waste.  The Apache revolted and fought under Geronimo until 1886 when the Apache were finally defeated and rounded up.  The movie was great.  I'm not sure if Jeffords really married a squaw as no wife is mentioned in his Wiki page.

Stewart is, as ever, reliably good as Jeffords while Jeff Chandler as Cochise is fantastic.  Debra Paget doesn't really look like Debra Paget in this movie.  The brown contact lenses she wears makes her look like a completely different girl and that is what she was at the time she made this a movie.  A girl of 15 going on 16 in 1949 when this was filmed, 26 years younger than her leading man.  Will Geer is nasty as vengeful settler who wants the Apache wiped out.  Jay Silverheels also stands out as the rebellious Geronimo who seeks to undermine Cochise.  Arthur Hunnicutt and Iron Eyes Cody help round out the cast.  This is the first in a line of great Westerns made by Delmer Daves who also did the original 3:10 To Yuma, Drumbeat and Jubal among others.  In many Westerns, it seems a romance is introduced to woo female moviegoers to the theater but in this case the romance is integral to the story and has huge ramifications to the resolution of the film.  Largely filmed around Sedona, the color cinematography by Earnest Palmer is beautiful. 4.5 stars for Broken Arrow.

Taaroa

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 today and didn't particularly like it (stop reading if you don't want any spoilers).

The plot wasn't particularly well paced and it just clumsily stumbles along, with the 'threat' not really threatening (and it wasn't revealed until probably the final third of the film). CGI has that typical Marvel movie look of being rushed and not the best quality. Had a lot of celebrity cameos that were a bit unnecessary (David Hasselhoff, Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh, Sylvester Stallone, and a few more less noticeable ones).

My biggest gripes though are: 'baby Groot' and the dialogue. It has that Joss Whedon style of dialogue where it's full quips and references to pop culture, and while it's something which has become more common in the past few years this film is pretty bad for it.
Baby Groot is a major and very annoying feature of the movie, with entire sequences focused on it 'being cute' or acting dumb (eg the opening title sequence). I'm guessing they included it for marketing and merchandise reasons and to appeal to the kind of audience that likes this kind of nonsense.

Overall it probably isn't a bad film, just very bland and paint by the numbers. Certainly not as good as the original, but it works for a 2hr dumb distraction.

trostol

Quote from: Taaroa on May 06, 2017, 10:44:18 AM
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 today and didn't particularly like it (stop reading if you don't want any spoilers).

The plot wasn't particularly well paced and it just clumsily stumbles along, with the 'threat' not really threatening (and it wasn't revealed until probably the final third of the film). CGI has that typical Marvel movie look of being rushed and not the best quality. Had a lot of celebrity cameos that were a bit unnecessary (David Hasselhoff, Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh, Sylvester Stallone, and a few more less noticeable ones).

My biggest gripes though are: 'baby Groot' and the dialogue. It has that Joss Whedon style of dialogue where it's full quips and references to pop culture, and while it's something which has become more common in the past few years this film is pretty bad for it.
Baby Groot is a major and very annoying feature of the movie, with entire sequences focused on it 'being cute' or acting dumb (eg the opening title sequence). I'm guessing they included it for marketing and merchandise reasons and to appeal to the kind of audience that likes this kind of nonsense.

Overall it probably isn't a bad film, just very bland and paint by the numbers. Certainly not as good as the original, but it works for a 2hr dumb distraction.

i am not surprised really..i guess in a way this is what happens when you saturate a market like Marvel has and have to fit stories in small windows of a 2 hourish movie...