• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bad Religion

Started by Pirate King Atomsk, September 26, 2008, 11:37:10 AM

Does anyone here like Bad Religion or their lead singer Greg Graffin's solo folk albums? Bad Religion is one of my favorite bands of all time. I call it the "intellectual punk's band". Lead singer Graffin has a Ph.D and is a life sciences lecturer at UCLA in the winter. His lyrics are always amazing perspectives on a variety of subjects from religion, to evolution, genetics, society, psychology, historical peoples and historical events. Here is one of my favorite songs with the lyrics included. It's called "Skyscraper" on one of their records from the early 90's, which is about the story of the Tower of Babel from Greg's usual unique perspectives. If you enjoy it, please check out Graffin's solo folk music as well. If I ever truly had an idol as a teenager, it's definitely him.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QlmHFXV0Xv0&hl=en

Here's a little something from his current solo folk album, called "Cold as the Clay". I know it's about a coal mining town, probably Appalachian,  but I'm not exactly sure of specifics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aszjslY9EHQ

Aaaand one more from the folk stuff. This is more like traditional folk here. It's called "The Highway". I'm pretty sure it's about someone's nonacceptance to dying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXMBLd4aArA

I used to know a guy who worked for the Ramones, and then for Marky, and he's friends with their drummer, as I recall. I have them as a friend on MySpace. I'll have to check them out more. You're not the first person I've heard list them as a favorite.

If you're into that folksy stuff, check out Uncle Monk. www.unclemonk.com It's Tommy Ramone. He does bluegrass type stuff now.

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 26, 2008, 12:12:22 PM
If you're into that folksy stuff, check out Uncle Monk. www.unclemonk.com It's Tommy Ramone. He does bluegrass type stuff now.

I heard about that! I do like some of it. Isn't it interesting how punk rockers seem to have a strange affinity for turning to Appalachian music as they get older? Well actually Greg had a fascination with classic folk and bluegrass before he even formed Bad Religion, so I guess he was already on the track for it. But yeah, there are quite a few other punkers that went country/folk. G.G. Allin, for instance.

you're kiddding!? Wow. I hadn't heard that. I'm glad to hear it, though; that guy was messed up. I hope he found some solace somewhere. I once went on a date with a guy who saw him play at a club near here, and he thought G.G. was raping some girl, but apparenly that was  just part of the show. But this guy didn't know that and proceeded to kick his ass.

EvB

I like the folk ones a lot.  Punk is one of the few music genres I've just never been able to get into.  i can't hear the music in it.  That doesn't mean it isn't there.  I can't usually hear the music I avaunt guard jazz either. 

:::shrug::

Oh well.

Ironically, a lot of punk doesn't do much for me either. It isn't particularly bad, and as say, background music, it would be fine, but it doesn't move me. And on the other hand, a lot of people don't even consider the Ramones punk. Maybe the consensus has changed, but I've heard more than one person say that. I think they're crazy.

They probably just mean that they don't consider the Ramones "real" punk. American and British fans have their different opinions on this subject, but I'll speak from the American's point of view. In America, we had late 70's/early 80's bands such as D.I., The Vandals, T.S.O.L, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Social Distortion, Minor Threat, Reagan Youth, Wendy O Williams and The Plasmatics, The Faith, ect. These are all examples of what I would consider to be true American punk. The Ramones are, in my classification, still a punk band but much more poppish. It doesn't mean they aren't punk, but they aren't.."punk"...if that makes any sense whatsoever. lol.

Spikegirl

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on September 26, 2008, 02:52:45 PM
They probably just mean that they don't consider the Ramones "real" punk. American and British fans have their different opinions on this subject, but I'll speak from the American's point of view. In America, we had late 70's/early 80's bands such as D.I., The Vandals, T.S.O.L, Bad Religion, Bad Brains, Social Distortion, Minor Threat, Reagan Youth, Wendy O Williams and The Plasmatics, The Faith, ect. These are all examples of what I would consider to be true American punk. The Ramones are, in my classification, still a punk band but much more poppish. It doesn't mean they aren't punk, but they aren't.."punk"...if that makes any sense whatsoever. lol.

How do you feel about Black Flag, one of my all time fav bands? I want to have Henry Rollin's love child.

I see. You're one of those people.

sorry, I may be overly sensitive. What you're saying does make sense, in that I can see where you're coming from, and I know is meant without offense. I am not going to try to convert you to my way of thinking, though, but...

I must say, that...oh, I can't do it. Buy the End of the Century dvd.

Quote from: Spikegirl on September 26, 2008, 02:54:55 PM
How do you feel about Black Flag, one of my all time fav bands? I want to have Henry Rollin's love child.

I practically have the discography. ;D

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 26, 2008, 02:59:43 PM
I see. You're one of those people.

Well I'm not usually one to classify myself, but perhaps I have formed a general view on punk that many modern punk fans share. Don't get me wrong though, I still "pop" (pun intended) in The Ramones or Green Day or the Teen Idols from time to time. I just don't consider them in the same league as Dead Kennedys or Black Flag.

ok, then buy Lifestyles of the Ramones, too.

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 26, 2008, 12:47:08 PM
you're kiddding!? Wow. I hadn't heard that. I'm glad to hear it, though; that guy was messed up. I hope he found some solace somewhere. I once went on a date with a guy who saw him play at a club near here, and he thought G.G. was raping some girl, but apparenly that was  just part of the show. But this guy didn't know that and proceeded to kick his ass.

Lol, I missed this post the first time.

Yeah, GG's acts were insane. I think he pretty much epitomizes the essence of punk. He did all kinds of disgusting shit on stage that I've never seen anyone else do...except for that guy from that California band that vomits on people every show. Can't remember the name of them.

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 26, 2008, 03:12:15 PM
ok, then buy Lifestyles of the Ramones, too.

Sure, I'll certainly check it out if I come across it, or maybe I'll look for it online.

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on September 26, 2008, 03:17:20 PM
band that vomits on people every show. Can't remember the name of them.

Do you like the Dead Boys? that comment reminds me of them. :) Don't know if he actually vomited ON people, but the cover of one of their live albums is Stiv vomiting while on stage, so he may have.

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 26, 2008, 03:28:18 PM
Do you like the Dead Boys? that comment reminds me of them. :) Don't know if he actually vomited ON people, but the cover of one of their live albums is Stiv vomiting while on stage, so he may have.

I like the Dead Boys but I don't know about their stage antics too much. Wikipedia says something about Stiv slashing his stomach with a mic stand a lot.