• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Penn and Teller Bullshit

Started by Frys Girl, September 23, 2008, 07:45:44 PM

Frys Girl

Any takers? This is one of my favorite shows. My favorite show from this season is New Age Medicine. When he put the plunger on that guy's head and asked if it was relieving pressure I was ROFL.

I also liked the show about NASA. Makes me wanna go to Vegas to their theatre.

EvB

It's a great show - and I've enjoyed every episode I've seen.  I recommend it HIGHLY to anyone who hasn't seen it - and you can see a lot of it online.  Try THIS LINK  I learned, though, to apply their own brand of skepticism to what they have to say.  They have their own agenda. just like anyone else.

But I bet you knew that.

EvB

Okay - help me out here guys.  To be fair, I come from a foodie family - with a number of people who work in the restaurant business.  But STILL - where did they find these idiots?

They can't tell cool whip from "white chocolate mousse"?

Can't tell canned tomatoes from fresh?

They can drink bargain basement wine (which, unless the P&T BS staff really new where to look, price does not ALWAYS make the vintage) had to be either chemically tasting or over sweet . . .and actually do the whole sniff & taste ritual without noticing something odd?

Worst of all - these self professed "experts" (I am not talking about the law student - though she DOES need to get a sense of humor!) are not tipped off by the waiter's over-the-top descriptions of some of these food items? ("Potatoes hydroponically grown by Iowa graduate students"  OMHFG!  Who SAYS shit like that?!!)

Please - watch this, and tell me if you think it's me - or if these people really are either the dumbest - or most painfully POLITE creatures you have ever witnessed!!  (It's only 10 mins and it's worth the giggle)

These people are idiots.  There were so many clues in the restaurant, but the beef part was the worst.  First off, whenever someone says they're serving Kobe beef to you outside of Japan, 99% it's bullshit so a red flag should go up in a diners mind.  It's usually Tajima Wagyu bred in North America and it's not raised the same way, nor does it have as much marbling as true Kobe or Matsuzaka(<--Which is NEVER in North America so don't get scammed by fancy places offering it). Any real high quality restaurant or steak-house makes the differentiation. And when the guy says "The particular cut we are using is only 2% fat.",  that was the ultimate tip-off since the great thing about Tajima is the high fat content.  At that point I stopped watching. Philistines.

EvB

Quote"The particular cut we are using is only 2% fat.",  that was the ultimate tip-off since the great thing about Tajima is the high fat content.

I didn't know all those details - but the "massaged from birth" and the "2% fat" were major red flags for me. If I'd gone on longer - I'd have ended up quoting the whole thing!

Quote from: EvB on September 23, 2008, 11:43:22 PM
I didn't know all those details - but the "massaged from birth" and the "2% fat" were major red flags for me. If I'd gone on longer - I'd have ended up quoting the whole thing!

The massaged from birth sounded kind of corny, but it didn't throw totally because they do actually massage them with it.  And in really high-end joints located in mega-metropolis'(see:pretentious) you can actually hear that type of talk.  It's corny, but at least it's entertainment(When you're paying 150-200 bucks for a Wagyu Kobe steak, a free comedy act is welcome).  Certain things he said were totally over the top, like the description of the hillside or meadow where the bread flour(semolina!?!) was grown.  Also, the clotted cream mention left me howling. Known sometimes as Devon cream (from Devonshire in England) the waiter pronounces Devon with a French-ish accent and almost totally drops the "n" at the end. HAHAHAHAHA.

Max

there are stupid people everywhere..

they just dont know their stupid..

thats my take.

Frys Girl

Thank friggin gawd someone did this. People are just dumb. I wish they would do a show on Snoory.

Another good topic is dating services or romance coaches. Bullshit!

EvB

QuoteAnd in really high-end joints located in mega-metropolis'(see:pretentious) you can actually hear that type of talk.

Well, you see, MY idea of "high end" is a place like Legal Seafood - a Boston Institution.  In that very New England way, it is quality and classy without the obnoxious flourishes. The food is amazing. The wine and spirits list - siiiiiiiiiiiigh . . .It's hardly cheap - but it won't break the bank on a special occasion either. (though their website is a bit sneaky - it says that everything they serve - with the exception of some of their older scotch and the lobster - which varies with size and season - is under $30.  True enough - but everything is also a-la-cart) I took my son and DIL there for son's B-Day last month - and for three of us with drinks, dinner, salad, and small deserts (we were stuffed and so ordered ice cream bon-bons - just one each) served with a pot of very nice tea - We got out of there for a tad uner $150 inclduing tip. Had Jared gone for the lobster - it woud have been more like $200 - but at the last second he decided it had been too long since he'd had whole fried clams. 

Anyway - Leagal has branched out a bit up and down the mid to northern east coast in the last decade or two.  I can;t vouch for the branches, i've only been to the main one - but if you like seafood and you have a chance - TRY IT!

Frys Girl

I've worked in a restaurant. An expensive one. It was a great experience because it turned me off from these sorts of places. I hate eating out unless I'm going on a date with a person who could potentially be the BTK dude. I'm not saying chefs are dirty or don't wash their hands, but I really prefer making stuff myself. If i have the time and energy, it's just more comforting. I saw some nasty things in the kitchen and it's not because we were a bad restaurant. It was the opposite. It's just human error and basic cooking styles. Home cooked all the way. Also, the customers turned me off. THey were so full of shit in terms of their complaints. Like wine. They'd ask for the reccomendations, and I'd tell them, well that's a sweet wine, might taste bitter with your fish. Then they'd return the wine. It stinks to be a restaurant owner. To quote Larry David, the customer is not always right. the customer is usually stupid and an asshole.

I like when they took on PETA. I never knew PETA directly funded the more radical animal/plant rights groups. Or at least, that's what they eluded to in that episode based on some financial records and other documentation they pulled up. 

Spikegirl

You don't know how much I love Larry David. I feel his pain. Anyway, I waitressed at various places when I was putting myself throught school and have seen nasty things, too. I saw a piece of steak fall to the floor once, get rinsed off and then put back on the plate in the kitchen. At least it was rinsed off. I also once walked into the kitchen to find our sweaty chef with his arm elbow deep in a giant vat of mashed potatoes. He pulled his hand out, licked his arm to taste the potatoes and stuck his arm back into the vat. Needless to say, I never had the mased potatoes there again. I have also seen derma (or kishka) being made in a giant sink. Imagine chicken fat and vegetable stuffing mixed together and stuffed into intestines that are sitting in a large sink, then cooked. Don't get me wrong, once it's on your plate and has a little gravy over it, it's delish. But seeing it there, at it's most most disgusting state sitting in a large kitchen sink is a big turn off and an image that's hard to get out of your head.

Frys Girl

They take on radical conservatives too. I like that they keep it fair.

As for Larry David, my dad is Larry David. Actually, my dad introduced me to the show. And you know what? Larry's dead on about stuff. Except for his joke about "don't interrupt the sacred intercourse." You don't pick up a phone when you're getting your groove on.

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 24, 2008, 06:26:42 AM
Thank friggin gawd someone did this. People are just dumb. I wish they would do a show on Snoory.

Another good topic is dating services or romance coaches. Bullshit!
Yeah, I heard from a woman who used to work for one of those matching/dating services that they're a total scam and prey on lonely people.

Spikegirl

Quote from: Art is the Best on September 24, 2008, 06:17:32 PM
Yeah, I heard from a woman who used to work for one of those matching/dating services that they're a total scam and prey on lonely people.

Yeah, matching/dating services reek of desperation.

Frys Girl

The post did an article on how they are making a mint on people. They took one guy to the mall and he got 4 e-mail addresses and 1 phone number. I dunno if that's any good to a guy, especially since females around here are super flaky "oh it went in my spam. whoops". LOL.

By high-end I mean places like this -

Harbour 60 - http://www.harboursixty.com/ (ftp://http://www.harboursixty.com/)

&

Jacob's Steakhouse - http://www.jacobssteakhouse.com (ftp://http://www.jacobssteakhouse.com)

EvB

Quote from: PhantasticSanShiSan on September 24, 2008, 07:54:31 PM
By high-end I mean places like this -

Harbour 60 - http://www.harboursixty.com/ (ftp://http://www.harboursixty.com/)

&

Jacob's Steakhouse - http://www.jacobssteakhouse.com (ftp://http://www.jacobssteakhouse.com)

Well first - I need to teach you how to use the link-maker:  Make sure everything is OUT of the dialog box (ie: take out the pre-fab http shit and such) THEN put in a cut and paste link - no extras.

I will say that first place has a "gentleman's club" look to it - but i couldn't tell much about what they serve.  That second place seems pretty much like Legal. 

Legal's website doesn't really represent the kind of place it is - sad to say.  I swear to you that 1) if you are ever in Boston and 2) you like seafood -- you MUST go to Legal. They also have relaly fine steak and chicken - but you can get steak and chicken as good other places - so I wouldn't make a special trip for that.  I honestly think the ony reason the serve it is cuz they know that not everyone in every part is going to want fish.

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on September 24, 2008, 10:22:11 AM
I like when they took on PETA. I never knew PETA directly funded the more radical animal/plant rights groups. Or at least, that's what they eluded to in that episode based on some financial records and other documentation they pulled up.

I adore animals.  And, PETA is a group of nut-job terrorists with absolutely no concept of the needs of domestic and companion animals.  None, zip - nada - zilch. 

if you see them, run.

Frys Girl

I agree that Peta stinks. It's sad for animal lovers/worshippers like me because really, Peta turns people off from the animal cause. I think their human milk message was a stunt more than anything - like it's ok to take pregnant COW milk, but not our own? Why? I mean, I'm sure there are fat whorish baby mama's (to use Pirate's words) who would love to donate milk for consumption.

Hey, it's a good proposition. Less "welfare" women. I"M ONLY JOKING HERE.

But yea, I think the dairy farming industry is dangerous though. I'm sure most of you know why. Too bad Peta sucks a big one at helping animals. I hope they'll come around.

EvB

QuoteI hope they'll come around.

Please don't hold your breath Fry's Girl - I'd hate to see you die. While individuals change all the time - this GROUP - as a whole - does not wish to be confused with facts.  Their mid is made up.

Quote from: EvB on September 24, 2008, 08:22:42 PM

I adore animals.  And, PETA is a group of nut-job terrorists with absolutely no concept of the needs of domestic and companion animals.  None, zip - nada - zilch. 

if you see them, run.

QFT. They don't even think people should have pets. I love my cat. He's my best friend. Best friend I ever had because humans suck. And PETA thinks I'm imprisoning him. Fuck PETA. Dipshit fucksticks.

Quote from: Frys Girl on September 25, 2008, 07:08:47 AM
We agree! Yay!

Whaaa?!? We've found an agreeable subject?!

Let's cherish this moment.  :)

EvB

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on September 25, 2008, 01:05:17 AM
QFT. They don't even think people should have pets. I love my cat. He's my best friend. Best friend I ever had because humans suck. And PETA thinks I'm imprisoning him. Fuck PETA. Dipshit fucksticks.

Oh yeah.  The seem to have forgotten evolution is not a solitary process.  I'd say "Dipshit Fucksticks" describes them as well as any phrase i've heard.

This is an article I wrote on canine/human bonds - which are now very much part of what we have become as creatures on this planet.  Most dogs (or cats for that matter) do VERY POORLY left in a ferule state.  What would PETA have us do?  Watch them die and spread disease?

BTW - you got my $$$  - and I have a cat too.

Frys Girl

I'm glad to be here in the company of so many animal lovers. You know if you're interested in the animal-human bond from a non-bullshit point of view, my teacher's wife is publishing a book that will be out FEB 2. Yea she's not really a hockey-mom. She's an awesome scholar... AND she's hot.

Here's the link. I've pre-ordered a copy! It's called MADE FOR EACH OTHER

http://www.amazon.com/Made-Each-Other-Biology-Human-Animal/dp/0306817365/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222466183&sr=8-1

EvB

That looks AWESOME Fry's girl - but since it's not out yet, I'm going to wait til I want another book to get my free shipping.  I wish listed it though. 

Thanks for the tip.