• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Once again, the atheists are offended.

Started by FightTheFuture, March 09, 2014, 10:39:54 AM

It appears that the mere sight of an iconic 9/11 cross is responsible for those fragile atheists souls suffering from dyspepsia and headaches.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/07/atheists_misguided_fight_over_the_911_memorial/

Ben Shockley

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 09, 2014, 10:39:54 AM
It appears that the mere sight of a [ginned-up religious icon serves our purpose of causing] dyspepsia and headaches [for the Religion mafia, who then react with brutal anger once regular people ask any questions about what the hell is going on].
It appears that you have nothing better to do than look for and create supposed offenses.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 09, 2014, 10:39:54 AM
It appears that the mere sight of an iconic 9/11 cross is responsible for those fragile atheists souls suffering from dyspepsia and headaches.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/07/atheists_misguided_fight_over_the_911_memorial/

"And the atheists have requested that if the cross is not removed, there be a plaque noting that 'Atheists died here, too.'"

I feel weary.

From the author (I couldn`t say it any better):

This isn’t a school system trying to sneak Bibles into the classrooms.  This isn’t the Ten Commandments in a courthouse. You want to fight against that religious infiltration into public life? I am on your side. You want to keep church and state separate? Me too. But you want to pitch a fit over an item that’s a clear-cut part of the story because you don’t like what it symbolizes? You’re mad there’s no 9/11 equivalent to that 17-foot cross because apparently nobody had the foresight to pull a satisfying secular symbol out of the wreckage? Please, just grow up. Because in this fight, you haven’t got a prayer. (emphasis mine)

Quote from: Ben Shockley on March 09, 2014, 11:55:18 AM
It appears that you have nothing better to do than look for and create supposed offenses.

That is a Democrat Party specialty

'I'm 'uncomfortable' ' whine whine... 'I'm 'offended' ', whine, whine... 'I don't celebrate Christmas', whine, whine... these people are turning us into a nation of whiners and takers.

Ben Shockley

I'm getting soft in my old age.

1) FTF: I respect you for taking the lick from my first post in here because you know you can't argue it.
2)  P*B -- try to stick to your own fights.  Someone sent me a PM last night that made me get soft about you.  Don't blow it.

b_dubb

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 09, 2014, 12:42:53 PM

'I'm 'uncomfortable' ' whine whine... 'I'm 'offended' ', whine, whine... 'I don't celebrate Christmas', whine, whine... these people are turning us into a nation of whiners and takers.
What do you call the Obama Birth Certificate nonsense? If that isn't whining about getting your ass handed to you in an election I don't know what is.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: b_dubb on March 09, 2014, 01:16:32 PM
What do you call the Obama Birth Certificate nonsense? If that isn't whining about getting your ass handed to you in an election I don't know what is.
b_dubb ... far be it from me to say it, but: just let this level of commentary go.
   Let them stew in it.

wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on March 09, 2014, 01:16:32 PM

just like hanging chads and court rulings.... the whining extends to both sides. elect a grown up next time instead of voting party lines.

I forgot to include 'it's not faaair...' sniff, sob

Oh, for shit's sake!  Is the irony lost entirely on you people?  As I am writing this, one of the topmost political threads is sarcastically titled "Evil, Rotten Christians at Work"... This one blasts atheists.  And yet here you are weeping like babies about how poor little Christians are so picked on.  Here's an idea:  call 1-800-WAAAAH!

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 12:23:08 AM
Oh, for shit's sake!  Is the irony lost entirely on you people?  As I am writing this, one of the topmost political threads is sarcastically titled "Evil, Rotten Christians at Work"... This one blasts atheists.  And yet here you are weeping like babies about how poor little Christians are so picked on.  Here's an idea:  call 1-800-WAAAAH!

Did you even bother to read the article? Nobody is ''blasting'' atheists. If you want ''blasting'', just look at what is splashed across this forum pertaining to Christianity, nearly every day of the week. Personally, I couldn't care less, as there is nothing that happens in an internet forum that has any chance of offending me. However, I'm quite sure that some Christians would be deeply offended. You just won't see them in here complaining about it. Perhaps our atheist friends could learn something about tolerance from Christians.

paladin1991

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 09, 2014, 12:42:53 PM

I refuse to be French.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 10, 2014, 12:47:24 AM
... If you want ''blasting'', just look at what is splashed across this forum pertaining to Christianity, nearly every day of the week...

Yet if someone suggests Moslems might be violent or might be the cause of some new terrorist event, that person is denounced as a 'racist'. 

It doesn't even matter to them that Moslems come in all races. 

SciFiAuthor

I'm more or less an atheist. But I certainly don't mind a cross being there, most of those people believed in Christianity and I'm not out to do anything except be sensitive to the victim's families. They suffered a terrible loss at the hands of evil people that hated 99.9% of Americans no matter what the fuck you claim to believe. This fighting over whether religious symbols can be in the memorial or not is simply a way to gain attention by crapping on someone that's grieving. It's the same thing Fred Phelps (former civil rights actvist and Democratic Party candidate) and his Westboro Baptist church does at the funerals of soldiers. It's simply a way to gain attention to your yourself. Attention means money, it's how Jackson, Sharpton and Farrakhan make their living. And the fact is that it can be quite profitable. It's an angle to make money, nothing more. 

What we really ought to be doing is bipartisanly pointing a finger at the people that instigate this stuff and ask them why they are really doing it. It isn't right to use something like 9/11 to further a social cause like militant atheism, just like the ground zero mosque isn't right. This is a symptom of people using our climate of artificial hyperfairness to grift a cause. But the only possible response to their concerns is to move the memorial away from what a memorial is supposed to be.

Well, that's just crapping in the mouths of people that lost a loved one in that terrorist attack. Have balls folks. Instead, we should simply say to these activists "Alright, let's not build a memorial at all. That's fairest solution to the largest possible amount of people. We'll simply put a granite stone up that will be readable for 10,000 years that says "Atheists prevented this memorial" and then ask this group for a statement in response.

Of course, that won't happen. You'll all just keep up with your infighting and glance over this post so you can play your left-right games but I thought I'd post it anyway.

I'm agnostic when it comes to organized religion, and passionate about the separation of church and state. But this is misguided. I live in NY, and that hunk of steel in the shape of a cross gave so much comfort when it was erected, that I'm left wondering why its not more obvious that this is a iconic cultural artifact rather than a symbol of any one religion. This is a losing battle, sad to say, from a PR perspective. I'd much rather see the creeping in of fundamentalist religion in our legislature addressed than squabbling over a symbol of hope from some very dark days. Our museums are filled with cultural artifacts like that, that had religious meaning to some historically, but remain iconic for their age. Let it go.

A bigger problem is the judge that ruled the cross was secular.

Judges just calling things whatever they want is a huge problem right now.

I was referring earlier to the level of anger being directed by some towards atheists and other non-Christians on these threads.  Yes, FTF, I read the link; sure, the group sounds thin-skinned.  Christians have become thin- skinned, too. 

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 08:28:54 AM
I was referring earlier to the level of anger being directed by some towards atheists and other non-Christians on these threads.

Really?? I sure haven`t seen it. From my perspective, it`s precisely the opposite. But, I`d love to see some examples, if you have any.

You are telling me you have seen no anti-Muslim sentiment on the threads of this forum, no complaining about how atheists are attacking Christianity, and such? 

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 09:07:46 AM
You are telling me you have seen no anti-Muslim sentiment on the threads of this forum, no complaining about how atheists are attacking Christianity, and such?

If you subtract Quick Karl from the equation, I think you`d be hard-pressed to find much. Let`s face it, I`m probably the only person that regularly contributes to this forum who openly professes to be of the Christian faith. I`m pretty sure you`ll find a large pool of non-Christian/atheists that love to take cheap shots at those who believe Jesus is who he said he is; the Son of God.

As I said, please feel fee to provide all the examples you have. I`m more than willing to take a hard look at it.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 10, 2014, 09:50:15 AM

If you subtract Quick Karl from the equation, I think you`d be hard-pressed to find much. Let`s face it, I`m probably the only person that regularly contributes to this forum who openly professes to be of the Christian faith. I`m pretty sure you`ll find a large pool of non-Christian/atheists that love to take cheap shots at those who believe Jesus is who he said he is; the Son of God.

As I said, please feel fee to provide all the examples you have. I`m more than willing to take a hard look at it.

Well, QuickKarl's impact was so significant, that extracting him from the equation perhaps really does change things. 

I suppose, FtF, there is just so much rancor, hyperbole, misinformation, so many insults and lies in the media  today that it perhaps warps our perspective a bit.  (By "media", I am, of course, referring to the internet forums, TV, radio, political books, and such.)

I think we may have lost a long-time and, yes, outspoken liberal poster on this forum because he simply could no longer stomach the general nastiness.  I am not going to publically announce him because he chose not to go out with a farewell posting himself; I daresay that his absence will become evident in a few days.  Did he perhaps contribute to a bit of the rhetoric and rancor here?  Do I?  Do you?  (The answer is yes, I am sure.)

FtF, you have publically announced your Christianity.  I have not personally found you to do so in a way that is bothersome in the least.  Faith can be a powerful and transforming force in our lives.  It is often used as a wedge and weapon, too. 

We are probably all a bit thin-skinned now.  We have bombthrowers here, and one person whose very avatar is designed to insult and attack and who opens or closes every posting with an insult.  We have people on both sides who deliver foul insults.  Sometimes such attacks are warranted.  Sometimes they are clever and funny.  Showing up on these political threads in your pretty, pretty princess outfit and fainting at every insult is stupid.  When it gets to be too much, I have taken a break for a day or two weeks. 

Politics and religion are too important to all of us to simply step away for good from the debate.  That is probably healthy!  But I DO wish we'd all consider the impact of our words more vigorously. 

Take a look at this thread title:  Once again, the atheists are offended.  "Once again" clearly suggests that we are constantly burdened by the weeping of "the atheists".  To my ears, I hear lots and lots of pissing and moaning from Christians about how they are bothered.  (The war on Christmas and the hysteria over same-sex marriage are a couple examples.  To my eyes, the threats of these two issues are wildly overblown.  Obviously, to some, these are very real and scary threats.)

Maybe I'm just having a "get off my lawn" kind of day.  I'm sorry to see a very eloquent and compassionate poster leave us.

b_dubb

Quote from: FightTheFuture on March 10, 2014, 10:06:31 AM
Um... :-X:

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/girls-star-lena-dunham-gets-nude-mocks-bible-snl
That sketch is not funny.  And not just because it mocks the Bible.  It just isn't funny.  Lena what's her face is annoying.  Is that where we are as a people?

Clicked on the SNL link and watched.  I agree Bdubb... not funny.  Based on this one sketch, I find Dunham neither compelling nor witty.  It's the first time I've ever seen her in anything though, so maybe I don't have the full picture.  Sure, I can see how a Christian could find the sketch to be offensive and juvenile. 

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 10, 2014, 11:25:55 AM
Clicked on the SNL link and watched.  I agree Bdubb... not funny.  Based on this one sketch, I find Dunham neither compelling nor witty.  It's the first time I've ever seen her in anything though, so maybe I don't have the full picture.  Sure, I can see how a Christian could find the sketch to be offensive and juvenile.

I just wish she would keep her clothes on. Outside of that, we`re good.

Gd5150

Athiests are represented by everywhere there is nothing, so they should be very happy.  :)