• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Green tint on monitor.

Started by Mels-hole1984, March 02, 2014, 06:53:22 PM

Mels-hole1984

My LCD screen cracked on my laptop a while back and I have been using an external monitor for the last few months. Lately it has been running hot and the fan would stay on constantly and would even get louder the longer I used it. I finally took it apart today to clean the fan. I figured I would take off the cracked screen as I've been using the monitor. I put it all back together and now its running fine and is quiet as hell. The only problem is now there is a green tint on my monitor. Its everywhere all over the screen like a filter. I plugged it into my brothers monitor and the same thing so I know its not my screen. Anyone have any ideas on what to do? I googled it and someone said to adjust the color management. I have no clue how to do that. Its an HP 2000 notebook running Windows 7.

wr250

is it a dv2000 ?
the dv series had issues with poor soldering with the graphics chip. overheating the laptop causes the solder to melt and flow away from the pins. symptoms are poor color management, multiple screens in one (hard to explain), no display at all, or reboot loop with no display.

Mels-hole1984

Quote from: wr250 on March 02, 2014, 06:58:13 PM
is it a dv2000 ?
the dv series had issues with poor soldering with the graphics chip. overheating the laptop causes the solder to melt and flow away from the pins. symptoms are poor color management, multiple screens in one (hard to explain), no display at all, or reboot loop with no display.

I don't know. Where would I look to find out if its a dv2000? The color was fine until I took it apart.

Mels-hole1984

Heres what someone wrote on Yahoo answers.

"Go in to system preferences, and go to screen, after that change the Red to 255, blue 255 and green might be higher than that so put it back down to 255."

Will this work?

cweb

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on March 02, 2014, 07:11:31 PM
Heres what someone wrote on Yahoo answers.

"Go in to system preferences, and go to screen, after that change the Red to 255, blue 255 and green might be higher than that so put it back down to 255."

Will this work?

I think what wr250 is getting at is that there are color channels missing, caused by broken solder points. which means that color data is physically not making it through certain wires. I'm not sure if jacking up R+B channels will actually help much, if at all.

for extra confirmation, try plugging your screen into someone else's device that you're sure is working. if your screen looks great, it's definitely a problem with the color data making it through.

Did you try different monitor cables? Might be a bent connector pin.

wr250

Quote from: Mels-hole1984 on March 02, 2014, 07:04:38 PM
I don't know. Where would I look to find out if its a dv2000? The color was fine until I took it apart.

on the bottom somewhere the model # will be dv2000-something might be dv2xxx-xxxx  . sometimes taking it apart disturbs the chip enough ...
there was a class action lawsuit against hp on this matter.

It could potentially be all sorts of things.  first of all you need to try out the monitor on another, known working input source, like another computer, games console etc... or alternatively try the computer with a different monitor/tv, and of course different leads.

then you can rule out whether the fault is with the monitor, lead or computer.

If its a problem with the chipset caused by crappy soldering (more likely its just cracked / cold joints than the solder has actually dripped out or something), you could try reflowing the solder on the graphics board with heat gun or something, like how you would fix an xbox360 with the red ring of death.

I have a nice temp controlled digital heat gun for this type of job, but I've seen it done with a normal household heat gun - be careful though you could completely destroy the IC's and easily melt stuff!