• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

NFL may pull the plug on AZ Super Bowl if anti-gay bill passes

Started by bateman, February 25, 2014, 03:05:24 PM

WhiteCrow

Quote from: onan on February 25, 2014, 06:46:29 PM

http://dividedundergod.com/2013/04/04/north-carolinas-move-to-declare-a-state-religion-and-its-constitutional-ripple-effect/

Not to mention the employer that expected everyone to pray for success of the business I worked at. Not to mention the all the religious placards that fill every bulletin board in all the state mental hospitals, not to mention everyone telling me to have a blessed day, not to mention all the anti-abortion billboards, not to mention fear of retribution for suggesting that I am an atheist.

I understand now,  thanks for sharing this.

coaster

Society really needs to grow up. Everyone is offended at everything. One thing I learned a long time ago was to give up caring. Fuck everyone for getting their panties in a twist over the dumbest shit. So what the baker didnt sell you a cake. Go to another bakery. For the baker, he lost money. Everyone go about your business.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Bart Ell on February 25, 2014, 09:00:54 PM

this pseudo egalitarian stupidity creates hostility where none exists and ignores hundreds of years of white male hegemony and hypocrisy.

bateman

Quote from: onan on February 25, 2014, 07:51:40 PM
The baker wasn't forced to be gay, just treat everyone as equal.

I disagree. Did you hear what they wanted him to do with a rolling pin?

The General

Quote from: NowhereInTime on February 25, 2014, 09:37:49 PM
and like most conserva-snark, really forgot to bring the funny.
As a long-time reader of your posts, I'm surprised at this uncharacteristic lapse in your sense of humor.

gbneely

Quote from: onan on February 25, 2014, 07:51:40 PM
The baker wasn't forced to be gay, just treat everyone as equal.

No he wasn't forced to be gay. But the state forced him to participate in what his religion teaches is a sin. So his right to practice his religion was trumped by someone else's right to have a gay wedding cake. If he were making up some sort of argument out of whole cloth, I would agree with you. However, was averring a widely held and documented belief by many people of faith based on the teachings of the bible.

Quote from: NowhereInTime on February 25, 2014, 09:36:50 PM
this pseudo egalitarian stupidity creates hostility where none exists and ignores hundreds of years of white male hegemony and hypocrisy.

And the government is now, literally, going to put a gun to a baker's head and force him to bake a gay cake. That makes it allllllll better.

Bart Ell

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 25, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

And the government is now, literally, going to put a gun to a baker's head and force him to bake a gay cake. That makes it allllllll better.

As ever, the camps are drawn, the wagons circled, and no amount of rhetoric, evidence, eloquence, or humor will sway anyone from their position...  For the .00001 bit coin it's worth, I will weigh in:

Some people are white, some black, yellow or brown; some are pretty and some are not; some are gay while others are straight.  Some are Protestant, Jewish, Catholic, atheist, Wiccan, or something else.  None of these genetic, environmental, or choice determiners are illegal.  Denying any of these people goods or services because they are a certain color, practice legal conscentual acts or pursue certain beliefs is unkind, contemptible and without honor.  When did tolerance become a filthy word?

NowhereInTime

Quote from: The General on February 25, 2014, 10:07:05 PM
As a long-time reader of your posts, I'm surprised at this uncharacteristic lapse in your sense of humor.
You know you may be right.  I may have totally balked here. Sorry,  sick of the cold and I'm not handling it well.

Quote from: West of the Rockies on February 25, 2014, 10:37:02 PM
As ever, the camps are drawn, the wagons circled, and no amount of rhetoric, evidence, eloquence, or humor will sway anyone from their position...  For the .00001 bit coin it's worth, I will weigh in:

Some people are white, some black, yellow or brown; some are pretty and some are not; some are gay while others are straight.  Some are Protestant, Jewish, Catholic, atheist, Wiccan, or something else.  None of these genetic, environmental, or choice determiners are illegal.  Denying any of these people goods or services because they are a certain color, practice legal conscentual acts or pursue certain beliefs is unkind, contemptible and without honor.  When did tolerance become a filthy word?

I could not possibly agree any more ardently with your post. However, the government should stay out of it.

Let people decide for themselves. They have brains; if they don't want to go to a baker that chooses not to bake cakes for certain types of people, then that word will get out and others will refuse to go there and the law of nature will preside.

gbneely

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 25, 2014, 10:55:53 PM

I could not possibly agree any more ardently with your post. However, the government should stay out of it.

Let people decide for themselves. They have brains; if they don't want to go to a baker that chooses not to bake cakes for certain types of people, then that word will get out and others will refuse to go there and the law of nature will preside.

I agree. If the baker is that out of step with the community he serves, he'll shortly be out of the baking business. However, I don't think he acted without honor.

coaster

Quote from: gbneely on February 25, 2014, 10:32:12 PM
No he wasn't forced to be gay. But the state forced him to participate in what his religion teaches is a sin. So his right to practice his religion was trumped by someone else's right to have a gay wedding cake. If he were making up some sort of argument out of whole cloth, I would agree with you. However, was averring a widely held and documented belief by many people of faith based on the teachings of the bible.
What part of the bible states that you don't have to sell a cake to a gay couple?

SciFiAuthor

I'm offended by all this talk about cake sexuality. Must we sexualize EVERYTHING? I mean, yes, I do drink coffee from one of those breast-shaped mugs. And, well, yes I did buy a set of truck balls for my beamer. But a gay cake? Really. Now a twinkie . . .

gbneely

Quote from: coaster on February 25, 2014, 11:07:36 PM
What part of the bible states that you don't have to sell a cake to a gay couple?

I think it's in Deuteronomy.  :o

http://youtu.be/PXx-Pn_8nKw

bateman

Quote from: coaster on February 25, 2014, 11:07:36 PM

Hang on, let me look, I think it's right past these pages on proper slave-beating procedure.

QuoteWhen a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.  (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

gbneely

Quote from: bateman on February 25, 2014, 11:22:54 PM

Hang on, let me look, I think it's right past these pages on proper slave-beating procedure.

No, no, further than that.

This bill is stupid and never going to pass. The person does not even have to be gay, you just have to say you think are gay and you can deny service.
A customer shows up at a hotel and you can say nope looks gay. Your deposit is nonrefundable since you didn't cancel in the last 24 hours. It doesn't matter if you are gay or not.

Won't last a second, but I am sure people out there are collecting donations to get it passed, which is what this really is about. Getting money from people.

Quote from: bateman on February 25, 2014, 11:22:54 PM

Those crazy ol' Israelites lol....

Hey, you try wandering around in the wilderness that long, you'd want to smack somebody, too!

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 25, 2014, 11:29:55 PM
This bill is stupid and never going to pass. The person does not even have to be gay, you just have to say you think are gay and you can deny service.
A customer shows up at a hotel and you can say nope looks gay. Your deposit is nonrefundable since you didn't cancel in the last 24 hours. It doesn't matter if you are gay or not.

Won't last a second, but I am sure people out there are collecting donations to get it passed, which is what this really is about. Getting money from people.

The Bill has already passed through the state legislature. Now it is up to Governor Brewer to either sign it into law, or veto it. Odds are she will veto it.

coaster

Its a step back for basic human rights. Whats next? Are they going to refuse service to someone because of the color of their skin?

Yorkshire pud

Easy answer. NFL (IF it chooses) doesn't play the Superbowl in AZ. There are a few dozen states to choose from.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: coaster on February 26, 2014, 01:06:59 AM
Its a step back for basic human rights. Whats next? Are they going to refuse service to someone because of the color of their skin?

Possibly; Or those advocating women and children having equal rights. The bible says a lot things, a great deal of it would be illegal if practiced today. I wonder if all fairy tales should be given equal rights and given equal credence in law? Ireland has a great deal of their law inextricably tied to the Vatican..The same brain washing, some here accuse the gay lobby of practicing.

SciFiAuthor

So let's make this more interesting. Should a black business owner have the right to refuse business to a Klansman?