• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Best in the World

Started by RealCool Daddio, February 23, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Congrats, Canada, you did good.

Who are these people and what did they do?

eeieeyeoh

I'm happy for them. Who would have thought a few years of concerted effort laying off the BC bud was the key? Grandma and Grandpa probably earned it although there may have been some serious contemplation going on while studying subjects and passing tests cheat-free though. Grandma and Grandpa having a gold coaster for a Molson Golden is another story. Some like a 50/50 mix w/vegetable juice.

Luckily, Pronger wasn't on that team.

Canada had a great team. Getlzaf and Perry are both great.

Yorkshire pud

Congrats to Canada. I attempted several years (A LOT) far too late to try and learn ice hockey and the training nearly killed me. Those that do it even at local team level are bloody hard athletes so to represent your country takes some superhuman stamina and athleticism.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 23, 2014, 11:14:53 AM
Congrats to Canada. I attempted several years (A LOT) far too late to try and learn ice hockey and the training nearly killed me. Those that do it even at local team level are bloody hard athletes so to represent your country takes some superhuman stamina and athleticism.
It is not a game for the faint of heart.  Seems to be catching on a bit in your neck of the woods, too, from what I have heard. 

[attachimg=1]

jazmunda

You haven't played the Aussie's in this sport yet. Once we learn how to play and how to keep the ice from melting on our beautiful beaches we will rule this game too.

Does that mean Sweden keeps Beiber?

Bart Ell

Quote from: jazmunda on February 23, 2014, 05:29:08 PM
You haven't played the Aussie's in this sport yet. Once we learn how to play and how to keep the ice from melting on our beautiful beaches we will rule this game too.

I heard it is near impossible to skate upside down and that the puck has to be a giant magnet in order to keep it from floating into outer space.

jazmunda

Quote from: Bart Ell on February 23, 2014, 06:09:15 PM
I heard it is near impossible to skate upside down and that the puck has to be a giant magnet in order to keep it from floating into outer space.

Well there's that too.

Quote from: jazmunda on February 23, 2014, 05:29:08 PM

Does that mean Sweden keeps Beiber?

We play roller hockey here in Calif.  It's fun and no ice needed

ksm32

I really wanted to watch the USA kill the Finland. Sorry, "kill" is a strong word.

I'm still scratching my head, WTF happened? It just doesn't add up.

Good thread Daddio.

Quote from: ksm32 on February 23, 2014, 10:16:40 PM
I really wanted to watch the USA kill the Finland. Sorry, "kill" is a strong word.

I'm still scratching my head, WTF happened? It just doesn't add up.

Good thread Daddio.
The American team is the same as the Canadians - gold or nothing.  They had nothing left in the tank after the game against us, where they played their guts out. 

Kessel and JVR played great, hope they keep it up when they get back to Toronto.  Go Leafs!

Bart Ell

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 23, 2014, 10:38:04 PM
Kessel and JVR played great, hope they keep it up when they get back to Toronto.  Go Leafs!

Oh I am sure they will. They will put up points when it doesn't matter and then disappear when the games mean something.

Just like Charlie Brown being fooled by the football, Leaf fans will be sure this is their year... right until the football gets pulled back and Charlie is on his ass again.

I heard they were handing out blue tinted glasses Sunday so all the Leafs fans could pretend.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 23, 2014, 05:26:42 PM
It is not a game for the faint of heart.  Seems to be catching on a bit in your neck of the woods, too, from what I have heard. 

The nearest Ice hockey team to me is the Sheffield Steelers (Steel used to be the main industry in Sheffield). However they, like all the other teams in the UK (Cardiff devils, Nottingham Panthers, Coventry Blaze, etc...) haven't a tradition in the game the way it is in Canada, Sweden, Russia, North America. Consequently although there's a pretty well organised youth program coming up, the 'grown ups' game hasn't been here in it's current form for more than about 25 years. The teams therefore have Canadian and East European heavy lines. These players may have been let go by their home teams because a) they're not good enough! b) not getting enough ice time c) not getting paid (East Europeans).

I'd been able to skate since my teenage years and as soon as I could, I bought my first hockey skates, and had to learn all over again! I got quite good, it sure kept me fit. But a back complaint made it agony when I was about 20.

Quote from: Bart Ell on February 24, 2014, 08:03:01 AM
Oh I am sure they will. They will put up points when it doesn't matter and then disappear when the games mean something.

Just like Charlie Brown being fooled by the football, Leaf fans will be sure this is their year... right until the football gets pulled back and Charlie is on his ass again.

I heard they were handing out blue tinted glasses Sunday so all the Leafs fans could pretend.
Given the Mr. Dress Up avatar, I'm guessing you are a Canadian as well.  Habs fan, maybe?  PK sured looked good for the five minutes he was on the ice before the medal round started, eh?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on February 24, 2014, 10:26:44 AM
The nearest Ice hockey team to me is the Sheffield Steelers (Steel used to be the main industry in Sheffield). However they, like all the other teams in the UK (Cardiff devils, Nottingham Panthers, Coventry Blaze, etc...) haven't a tradition in the game the way it is in Canada, Sweden, Russia, North America. Consequently although there's a pretty well organised youth program coming up, the 'grown ups' game hasn't been here in it's current form for more than about 25 years. The teams therefore have Canadian and East European heavy lines. These players may have been let go by their home teams because a) they're not good enough! b) not getting enough ice time c) not getting paid (East Europeans).

I'd been able to skate since my teenage years and as soon as I could, I bought my first hockey skates, and had to learn all over again! I got quite good, it sure kept me fit. But a back complaint made it agony when I was about 20.
Looks like about a third of the Sheffield roster are from the UK - even have a taffy in the lineup!  Great to see the game growing there, and no surprise that it is in mining and steel towns.  From what I have read, it is a pretty physical brand of hockey being played there.

Bart Ell

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 24, 2014, 10:50:32 AM
PK sured looked good for the five minutes he was on the ice before the medal round started, eh?

He sure looked great with the gold around his neck

He even got to share it with a teammate

Now let's play "count the Leafs" in this pic...

None? Guess we should check the silver and bronze medal pics... still none? Winners, indeed.

I know, I know, Phaneuf shoulddda been there

1967 wasn't that long ago, right?

ksm32

Quote from: Bart Ell on February 24, 2014, 08:03:01 AM

That's just fuckin meeaan man. You sir, are not a very nice person. May Wendel Clark fart in your general direction.

Bart Ell

Quote from: ksm32 on February 25, 2014, 11:19:27 PM
May Wendel Clark fart in your general direction.

May Tim Horton drive you home.
May Wade Belak teach you how to masturbate with a noose around your neck.
May Bill Barilko take you on a fishing trip.
Worst of all, may Dion Phaneuf forever be your captain.
I would mention Doug Gilmour too but he is too busy still trying to cover up the babysitter rape thing.

ksm32

Quote from: Bart Ell on February 26, 2014, 03:10:04 PM

May Bill Barilko take you on a fishing trip.

YOU EVIL FUCK

I can handle the other stuff you mentioned, SURE! I'm a big boy. But that fishing trip shite just breaks my spirit to its very core as if to scream from the depths like Kirk screaming "KAAAAAHHHNNN"!!!!

I du wanna gu fishin