• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

3D Monitors

Started by Mind Flayer Monk, February 19, 2014, 07:36:56 PM

Does anyone have a 3D monitor and what is your opinion of it?
I was considering purchasing one, however, I don't know how much support is out there for the things I want to do with it.
What I want to do with it: Charts/graphs and OLAP cubes. 3d renderings of molecules.

area51drone

I have a 55" 3D TV, does that count?

Quote from: area51drone on February 20, 2014, 03:36:27 AM
I have a 55" 3D TV, does that count?
Very nice. Is the 3D primarily entertainment purposes or do you do some work on it too? (by work I mean maybe diagramming, planning, or looking about and thinking about data).

Morgus

3D HDTVs are for playing 3D blu-ray movies if you have a 3D blu-ray player.
Also some streaming providers like Vudu have a few 3D HD movie titles for rent.

area51drone

Or for downloading SBS "material" and enjoying the 3d.   Sorry, I don't do any "work" on it what so ever.   To be honest, I hardly ever use the 3D.   It works, it's cool, but it isn't all that it's cracked up to be.   I love 3D stuff, always have.  I still own some Elsa 3D shutter glasses from the late 90's that gave me 3D on all the games back then.   But, I don't particularly enjoy watching movies in 3D for some reason, either at home or at the theater.   

I thought I would enjoy the 3D more.  I probably would use it more if there were more games that supported it.  Call of Duty Black Ops has been the only one on the Xbox that I've really played on it.   It's pretty bad ass.   I also get 3D with my Sony headset though, and that's even better because it's very immersive.   

One thing I should mention is that the 2D->3D automatic conversion on the TV is amazingly good.  I was really surprised on how well they made that work.

Quote from: area51drone on February 20, 2014, 11:04:34 PM
One thing I should mention is that the 2D->3D automatic conversion on the TV is amazingly good.  I was really surprised on how well they made that work.

Thanks 51D,
If I were going to take a wild guess, the internal DVD/Bluray conversion software probably works with layers similar to a photoshop image (based on the lighting on the objects during filming). And then they just "pop out" the layers.
Or they compare pixel values to a neighbor's pixel value.

area51drone

No, they do edge detection and draw items with edges leading into infinity as just about perfect 3d.   Items with face detection are run through some other algorithm that makes the face 3D and the accompanying edges attached to the face are set slightly back.   Anything circular is given a bulbous appearance.   Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, I'm just surprised how good it is based on no actual way to know for certain what would be 3D and what wouldn't be, and better yet in basically real time.   It works for any picture on the screen, not just movies.   It even works for video games, actually better for video games.   My son plays Lego Star Wars and because of the shape of the blocks, it's pretty awesome with it. 

Quote from: area51drone on February 20, 2014, 11:49:33 PM
No, they do edge detection and draw items with edges leading into infinity as just about perfect 3d.
Well, I better patent my approach then (one tech door closes, another one opens heh).

Quote from: area51drone on February 20, 2014, 11:49:33 PM
My son plays Lego Star Wars and because of the shape of the blocks, it's pretty awesome with it.
That sounds amazing.

area51drone

It's possible that I'm wrong, that's just how it appears.   Calculating the speculative value of each pixel certainly seems like it might work in most situations.   The current conversion is subtle when it is just people standing in a flat room - they do do some layering.   I thought it was more based on edge detection of which shapes break other shapes though.

phrodo

Santa brought myself a 3D 1080p projector and 100" screen for Christmas and it's spectacular. Got a PC connected along with Blu-ray and can watch 3D discs and downloaded SBS and OU 3D movies too. 

steelbot

Quote from: phrodo on February 23, 2014, 03:45:06 PM
Santa brought myself a 3D 1080p projector and 100" screen for Christmas and it's spectacular. Got a PC connected along with Blu-ray and can watch 3D discs and downloaded SBS and OU 3D movies too.
They are nice arent they - what is the projector model if you don't mind.

area51drone

Yes, I'd love to know the model as well.   The house we're building is going to be set up for a projector in one of the rooms.