• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Bill, always the charmer

Started by bateman, February 05, 2014, 11:57:28 AM

albrecht

So far, for many reasons I won't go into including corporate and prominent politicians it is amazing to me that West Va, Western MD (secessions brewing there actually) haven't yet been swallowed up by the DC/MD/NVA megalopolis that primarily is government related (and, esp in VA n MD) "guvmint contractor" based. Beautiful areas (not mined up yet), awesome streams and rivers, good hunting n fishing, and friendly people generally (if you don't treat them badly) and so close to DC and source of all money and jobs these days (stat wise.) Yes, a problem with the meth and usual white-trash stuff. But older folks are usually pretty good and traditional. But land is super cheap compared to same distance mile-wise around the job-creator DC. I wonder how/why they haven't been bought up yet like places in Idaho, E.Wash, Montana, Utah, etc by the rich, or even foreign investors, yet? Being so close to DC and airports esp. Think the hillbillies keeping them at bay? Or the mining interests?

Catsmile

Quote from: albrecht on April 04, 2014, 09:51:36 PM
So far, for many reasons I won't go into including corporate and prominent politicians it is amazing to me that West Va, Western MD (secessions brewing there actually) haven't yet been swallowed up by the DC/MD/NVA megalopolis that primarily is government related (and, esp in VA n MD) "guvmint contractor" based. Beautiful areas (not mined up yet), awesome streams and rivers, good hunting n fishing, and friendly people generally (if you don't treat them badly) and so close to DC and source of all money and jobs these days (stat wise.) Yes, a problem with the meth and usual white-trash stuff. But older folks are usually pretty good and traditional. But land is super cheap compared to same distance mile-wise around the job-creator DC. I wonder how/why they haven't been bought up yet like places in Idaho, E.Wash, Montana, Utah, etc by the rich, or even foreign investors, yet? Being so close to DC and airports esp. Think the hillbillies keeping them at bay? Or the mining interests?
You bring up some interesting thoughts and questions. I have no idea why it be that way. I can only pull things outta thin air.

Mineral and fracking rights may be part of it. Steep mountainous terrain with poor road systems. High cost to build good roads. Even well built mountain roads scare the shit out of people that aren't natives. No flat spots to build, just steep up and down. No local tax base to support infrastructure, much less improvements. High cost of getting electricity, phone, cable, internet services, assuming it is even available. Yet hillbillies eke out a life there. Poor folks got poor ways. Maybe the hillbilly stigma is holding them at bay for the time being.

Grov505th

Quote from: Catsmile on April 04, 2014, 10:42:22 PM
You bring up some interesting thoughts and questions. I have no idea why it be that way. I can only pull things outta thin air.

Mineral and fracking rights may be part of it. Steep mountainous terrain with poor road systems. High cost to build good roads. Even well built mountain roads scare the shit out of people that aren't natives. No flat spots to build, just steep up and down. No local tax base to support infrastructure, much less improvements. High cost of getting electricity, phone, cable, internet services, assuming it is even available. Yet hillbillies eke out a life there. Poor folks got poor ways. Maybe the hillbilly stigma is holding them at bay for the time being.

Gas prices.....Gas is much more expensive in WV and Western MD, no major highways going west past 81 in NOVA.
I live 48 miles from where i work in NOVA and it can take me up to 1hr and 30 minutes to drive in.  the major routes are not big enough for the traffic flow.  RT 7, Rt 50 and Rt 66 both get jammed up to a stand still in the mornings and evenings.
The Dulles Toll road keeps raising prices and The Metro silver line keeps getting pushed back.
If I could I would love to move closer in, but I do like the country setting that I live in...so Oh well gues I am going to keep driving.

paladin1991

Bateman.  You've got to get rid of that avatar.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: paladin1991 on April 09, 2014, 11:15:24 AM
Bateman.  You've got to get rid of that avatar.
Second that motion. :P