• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

I miss Art so much, George has destroyed what he built

Started by Dead-Time, September 14, 2008, 10:28:55 PM

Dead-Time

My first post here, I'm so happy to find some kindred spirits. I first heard Art in the mid 90s, I think I got him out of Las Vegas on KDWN (I live in LA). I can remember when Art started to make the change from politics to the supernatural and the show became a revelation to me.

I listened exactly because there was no politics in it, just the strange and wonderful world brought to us each night. My favorite was Father Malachi Martin, who somehow managed to both scare the hell out of me and bring me comfort. But all of Arts guests were grand in their own way. What I loved most was that Art provided the Canvas and the guest painted the story, and politics was for the most part left out of the conversation.

Im very conservative but found hearing politics of any sort tedious when its available all day and Art seemed to work hard and never let his own politics slip into the show, this allowed all listeners to suspend their own personal opinions and bits of bias for the night and just enjoy what they were listening to.

Now I can barely stand C2C for more than 30 minutes, George has placed himself in the position of the painter his guests are there to agree with him and we are suppose to shut up and listen. I cant remember a show in which Art was openly political towards any side left or right now C2C is the only functioning arm of Air America, I'm surprised George doesn't have Al Franken on as a guest host.

So beyond all of Noorys host faults like  boring, inane, and dense, Noory has managed to anger half his audience and place a barrier between them and his show via his constant political talk. I feel an odd anger, I feel like Noory took something that had become a huge part of our night lives. I understand Noory was selected but I can help but feel he took something that didn't belong to him and turned the show into something it wasn't.

Sorry to ramble but ths is the first place Ive found people like me.....

Art we miss you more than you can imagine.

EvB

Welcome.

I have a feeling you'll fit right in here.  And, it's not because of your opinion of Noory - that's incidental.  The quality of your writing holds something more subtle than that.

Agreed, Ev. I foresee many "on the money" posts from our newest member to the community.

Straight to the point, though: Many welcomes, Dead-Time! I'm also a pretty conservative-type myself, and I highly enjoyed Father Malachi Martin's shows with Art. And, obviously, I don't like Noory's handling of C2CAM. So... we already have three things in common! (That, and I really dig your username.)

Hope you stick around and post often!

Dead-Time

Quote from: Pirate King Atomsk on September 14, 2008, 11:20:43 PM
Agreed, Ev. I foresee many "on the money" posts from our newest member to the community.

Straight to the point, though: Many welcomes, Dead-Time! I'm also a pretty conservative-type myself, and I highly enjoyed Father Malachi Martin's shows with Art. And, obviously, I don't like Noory's handling of C2CAM. So... we already have three things in common! (That, and I really dig your username.)

Hope you stick around and post often!

Thanks, my call sign in the Army many moons ago was Dead Time. I was a tank commander once upon a time and now I teach college; mostly world history and military history.  I must say I'm more than quietly happy that I'm not the only one who's unhappy with the direction the show has taken. At first I thought it was just me being overly sensitive or trying to compare George to Art.

Alas I'm quite sure now that George is quite incapable of running the show unless into the ground counts.

Quote from: Dead-Time on September 15, 2008, 12:36:20 AM
Thanks, my call sign in the Army many moons ago was Dead Time. I was a tank commander once upon a time and now I teach college; mostly world history and military history.  I must say I'm more than quietly happy that I'm not the only one who's unhappy with the direction the show has taken. At first I thought it was just me being overly sensitive or trying to compare George to Art.

Alas I'm quite sure now that George is quite incapable of running the show unless into the ground counts.

An Army tank commander and a professor? Wow! I wish I could say the same someday. I'm 22 and considering the Army, or Navy. I would also like to be a professor of Humanities, or possibly English. But, as for now, I'm just getting an IT degree. A tech degree should help me at least kick-start my dreams of higher education financially. 

Anyways, yeah, when I found Michael Vandeven's original "Art Only" broadcast stream on shoutcast, I immediately realized that at least someone agreed with me. But now that we have these forums, I realize that there are quite a few people who agree - and we seem to be growing almost daily. I'm very intrigued to see what this forum will look like in perhaps a year or so.

Yeah, I'm right there with you, DT. (Hope you don't mind the abbreviation.) I'm usually not one to bash people unless they hurt me intentionally and personally, but I'm here because Michael has provided an invaluable resource with Streamer, and now I get to talk to some pretty cool people on here, who value the show as much as I do/did. So, I guess you could say this is the silver lining.

hillarie

I too miss Art ALOT.  I miss the way he spoke under the opening song so you could really hear the song and he played it all the way through.  It started things out with a nice trippy feel.  The very first time I heard George I could hear the similarity in his voice timber to Art's.  I really think that's why they picked him.  Just because his voice quality is similar and when he started they were just trying to offer basic animal comfort to an audience they knew was grieving.  And the voice similarity provided that basic physical level of comfort.  They didn't know at that point how inept he would prove to be.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: hillarie on October 14, 2008, 10:55:53 PM
I too miss Art ALOT.  I miss the way he spoke under the opening song so you could really hear the song and he played it all the way through.  It started things out with a nice trippy feel.  The very first time I heard George I could hear the similarity in his voice timber to Art's.  I really think that's why they picked him.  Just because his voice quality is similar and when he started they were just trying to offer basic animal comfort to an audience they knew was grieving.  And the voice similarity provided that basic physical level of comfort.  They didn't know at that point how inept he would prove to be.
hi hillarie.  welcome to gns.  post often.

art talking over the intro music, playing songs that were relevant to the subject at hand, and shutting up before the vocals started in each song were all great examples of the real radio guy art is.  the problem with george is that he really just doesn't seem to understand radio.  yes, he's ON the radio and he HOSTS a show, but he just DOES NOT strike me as a real radio guy the way art does.  it seems like his involvement in radio is merely incidental, whereas art's involvement in radio was because it's his passion.  big difference between these two guys.

regarding similarities between the voices of art and george, i must say i've never picked up on that.  i always felt like george had the wrong voice for the show and that their voices and deliveries could not be more different.  his voice seems more suited for a home improvement show or a local public affairs show.  haha.  seriously.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Dead-Time on September 14, 2008, 10:28:55 PM
My first post here, I'm so happy to find some kindred spirits.
hi, dead time.  sorry i didn't say hey on your first post.  i was out of the country at the time, and i'm just now getting around to catching up on things here.

hope to hear more from you around here.

Quote from: Dead-Time on September 14, 2008, 10:28:55 PM
So beyond all of Noorys host faults like  boring, inane, and dense, Noory has managed to anger half his audience and place a barrier between them and his show via his constant political talk. I feel an odd anger, I feel like Noory took something that had become a huge part of our night lives. I understand Noory was selected but I can help but feel he took something that didn't belong to him and turned the show into something it wasn't.

Sorry to ramble but ths is the first place Ive found people like me.....

Art we miss you more than you can imagine.

Well, George seems to think he isn't alienating any of his audience by being "neutral" about the parties involved in this election. But what he is really doing is just not saying anything at all of any substance about any it. I get the impression that Art would be busy criticizing  AND also applauding both candidates. That's a way of being unbiased, while also DOING YOUR JOB AS A RADIO HOST. Come on Dead Time, cheer up... I mean didn't you hear those fascinating open lines on Friday when everyone sang TV show theme songs? Absolutely captivating, worth listening to again and again. NOT!
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Well, George seems to think he isn't alienating any of his audience by being "nuetral" about the parties involved in this election. But what he is really doing is just not saying anything at all of any substance about it. I get the impression that Art would be busy crtitsing AND also applauding both candidates. That's a way of being nuetral, while also making comments with some substance in them.
Come on Dead Time, cheer up... I mean didn't you hear those fascinating open lines on Friday when every one sand TV show theme songs? Absolutely captivating, woth listening to again and again. NOT!
Anyway, welcome to the forum.

danDNA

recently i have got the impression that george is actually trying to up his game, that maybe he is reading some of what we criticise him for. the other day he referred to himself as an idiot to one guest, cant remember who. and today i was listening to the bloke from birmingham, UK on about ghosts and george actually stunned me with a really intelligent question, he sort of impressed himself, and sounded a little awkward asking, like it was a new format he was trying out of actually asking decent, thought-out questions. dunno if im right....

George, if you are out there you imbecile, take another step.

Frys Girl

Quote from: danDNA on October 20, 2008, 02:13:24 PM
george is actually trying to up his game
This made me laugh. A lot.

11angeleyes11

Quote from: danDNA on October 20, 2008, 02:13:24 PM
recently i have got the impression that george is actually trying to up his game, that maybe he is reading some of what we criticise him for. the other day he referred to himself as an idiot to one guest, cant remember who. and today i was listening to the bloke from birmingham, UK on about ghosts and george actually stunned me with a really intelligent question, he sort of impressed himself, and sounded a little awkward asking, like it was a new format he was trying out of actually asking decent, thought-out questions. dunno if im right....

Yes, as was said on the moon:  One small step for Coast, one giant leap for George!  Just watch where you step as it can get deep.

Spikegirl

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on October 20, 2008, 04:18:26 PM
Yes, as was said on the moon:  One small step for Coast, one giant leap for George!  Just watch where you step as it can get deep.

:D

Frys Girl

Spikegirl, I was hoping you were going to call in on Friday night with your "best, scary ghost story".

"Spikegirl in NY. Let's hear your story. Share it please."
"Hi Snoors. Once I saw a vision of Art, it couldn't be a ghost since he's alive. but it was so cary because he said 'coast to toast. coaaaaast to tooooasssst..... i won't be hosting. later spikes".
"Let's take a break"<starts the Roseanne Barr "interview" about Vegas>

EvB

QuoteWell, George seems to think he isn't alienating any of his audience by being "neutral" about the parties involved in this election

Yes -- he IS making an effort - that's worthy of mention - but so far - only mention -- KEEP IT UP!! GN! 

As for neutrality keeping popularity - anyone ith an IQ over barely functional will catch on to that - he's got to have the guts to take STAND - and - if WE don't like it - other's m,ay. 

Still it MUST be done -

are you READING GEORGE (or your surrogets?)

Spikegirl

Quote from: Frys Girl on October 20, 2008, 08:11:57 PM
Spikegirl, I was hoping you were going to call in on Friday night with your "best, scary ghost story".

"Spikegirl in NY. Let's hear your story. Share it please."
"Hi Snoors. Once I saw a vision of Art, it couldn't be a ghost since he's alive. but it was so cary because he said 'coast to toast. coaaaaast to tooooasssst..... i won't be hosting. later spikes".
"Let's take a break"<starts the Roseanne Barr "interview" about Vegas>

heh! I have actually thought about calling in to make fun of him to his face without his realizing it.

"Hi George! I'm your biggest fan! I don't care what anybody says, you're not one of the four hoursemen of the apocalypse and you haven't destroyed Coast!" or something like that.

EvB

Quote"Hi George! I'm your biggest fan! I don't care what anybody says, you're not one of the four hoursemen of the apocalypse and you haven't destroyed Coast!" or something like that.

CLASSIC!

$$$ - for you!