• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dark Matter Radio Business Model?

Started by The Neverender, January 12, 2014, 07:20:35 PM

I have been frequenting here less since "the great Art disappointment of 2013" (and sadly i've been filing the gap with C2C) and i'm not sure if this has been discussed...

what is dark matter radio's business plan? i listen when i have free time but i never hear commercials... how do they make money? is art paying for the streaming costs until he comes back? or is it being fed by the ads on artbell.com ?

also... is there some depository of MP3's or on demand streaming of the shows on DMR? I like listening to some of the shows... but i can't always commit to the time slots...

thanks

McPhallus

I've wondered about that, too.  I've a feeling there's no monetization going on and it's one of those "exposure only" compensation deals.  The more cynical part of me says Art's doing it to humor his fans and will pull the plug when he gets bored with it.

Quote from: The Neverender on January 12, 2014, 07:20:35 PM
I have been frequenting here less since "the great Art disappointment of 2013" (and sadly i've been filing the gap with C2C) and i'm not sure if this has been discussed...

what is dark matter radio's business plan? i listen when i have free time but i never hear commercials... how do they make money? is art paying for the streaming costs until he comes back? or is it being fed by the ads on artbell.com ?

also... is there some depository of MP3's or on demand streaming of the shows on DMR? I like listening to some of the shows... but i can't always commit to the time slots...

thanks

bateman

Quote from: The Neverender on January 12, 2014, 07:20:35 PM

thanks

I think everyone just hosts their shows independently.

Darkweekend.com

Quote from: bateman on January 12, 2014, 07:39:54 PM
I think everyone just hosts their shows independently.

Darkweekend.com

true, but there is some cost to stream those independent shows together... content might come to DMR for free... but the bandwidth/web hosting/etc, costs $. I know very little about what those costs might be... maybe they are more than offset by the artbell.com google ads?

malliard

yes i self host my own stream and old shows and i dont even use google ads...

jazmunda

Quote from: McPhallus on January 12, 2014, 07:26:41 PM
I've wondered about that, too.  I've a feeling there's no monetization going on and it's one of those "exposure only" compensation deals.  The more cynical part of me says Art's doing it to humor his fans and will pull the plug when he gets bored with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day listeners open their streaming apps and are greeted with a message that says stream cannot be found. No explanations. Just gone.

nbirnes

Quote from: jazmunda on January 12, 2014, 09:40:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if one day listeners open their streaming apps and are greeted with a message that says stream cannot be found. No explanations. Just gone.

I have faith. I have trust. I have so much trust that I'm actually going to let our show float free on the streams of Dark Matter to a new time slot because the only thing that matters is meeting new listeners. If you like radio in the mode of Art Bell, then you might like a show here.

Every show I've sampled from Dark Matter has its own home page, and most have all kinds of archives available. Including us at www.futuretheater.com

It's all about gathering the tribe. There's no downside, you know. That's a great bottom line and a good start to a business.

Speaking only for ourselves, Jill and I produce our program (Into The Planet Radio, Saturdays at 11PM ET.) and send it to Keith and DMRN for distribution. After it plays, we upload it to our webpage at http://www.IntoThePlanetRadio.com

We receive minimal monetization from affiliate ads. But we are not in this to make big bucks. We are trying to expand our "Tribe" and our affiliation with DMRN reaches a new audience for us. Now, I'd be lying if I said that I don't hold out hope that Art Bell will return via DMRN - and those of us on the stream will grow along with Art's program. At that point, revenue models would be appropriate.