• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coast Guests: Legit, Charlatan, Deluded or Crazy

Started by RecoveringNoorholic, November 16, 2013, 09:11:22 PM

If you had to catalog Coast guests into one of four categories ...

- Legit (they have rationally arrived at a conclusion)
- Deluded (they have irrationally arrived at a conclusion)
- Charlatan (they don't believe their own conclusion but are trying to sell books, DVDs, etc.)
- Crazy (they are dealing with untreated medical issues)

... how would you classify each?

I used to think the Numbers Lady was a Charlatan but I think she may be experiencing serious emotional distress that is probably correctable - or at least manageable - with medication or talking therapy. If you listen to her, as shows progress, her manner of speech becomes more and more frantic and excited to the point she's just spitting out numbers like a 4th grade math teacher in the middle of a seizure. I'm not interested in the subject matter but it, also, becomes very uncomfortable and disconcerting to listen to these breakdowns when she's a guest on Coast.

Numbers Lady - CRAZY

RICHARD C. HOAGLAND - DELUDED
DANNION BRINKLEY - DELUDED
LINDA MOULTON HOWE - DELUDED
RICHARD DOLAN - CHARLATAN

Hoagland - Charlatan and rip off artist (my opinion)

Noory - unlistenable and not too bright

Yorkshire pud

David Wilcox; deluded, and a charlatan.

RCH: deluded and a charlatan or just a charlatan. 

Jocko Johnson

Ditto to all...snorgy...moor-on
                      RCH...crazy and just too funny...priceless
                      Brinkley. ..fraud
                      Pre-doucher tammy...jorges valet and "man servant"...slob

Keith McCloskey- LEGIT

November 17, 2013
Subject: Dyatlov Pass

David Wilcock was at one point deluded, but then became a charlatan after RCH took him on as a protege and taught him that the audience would never stop giving him money if he never stops spouting tall tales.

Dannion Brinkley is a charlatan and his story is willfully made up, but I think he's probably a genuinely good person.

Ed Dames is the only prominent person in the paranormal media I think is an actual for-real disinfo agent.

"Dr" Jonathon Reed - Charlatan
"Dr" Steven Greer - Charlatan

It was a rough first week on DM.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 16, 2013, 09:11:22 PM
If you had to catalog Coast guests into one of four categories ...

- Legit (they have rationally arrived at a conclusion)
- Deluded (they have irrationally arrived at a conclusion)
- Charlatan (they don't believe their own conclusion but are trying to sell books, DVDs, etc.)
- Crazy (they are dealing with untreated medical issues)

... how would you classify each?

I'd add a fifth category.......just plain stupid.

Col John Alexander--Legit
Douglas Dettrich--Crazy
Stanton Friedman--Deluded
Alex Jones--Just plain stupid
LMH--Legit, but only marginally talented
Nick Redfern--Charlatan

tensy

Deluded - Catherine Austin Fitz
Charlatan - David Paulides
Crazy - Steve Quayle

Bat Crazy - Alex Jones   
Simply Crazy - Alex Jones supporters

Uncle Duke

Quote from: tensy on December 02, 2013, 03:16:36 PM
Deluded - Catherine Austin Fitz
Charlatan - David Paulides
Crazy - Steve Quayle

Bat Crazy - Alex Jones   
Simply Crazy - Alex Jones supporters

Tensy-

Is Paulides the guy who does the shows about people disappearing/dying in National Parks?  If so, why do you consider him a charlatan?  Just curious?

b_dubb

the should start selling C2CAM branded cow pies out of their online store

tensy

Quote from: b_dubb on December 02, 2013, 09:19:57 PM
the should start selling C2CAM branded cow pies out of their online store
Because he makes stuff up to sell books.  Twists facts and misleads his readers.

What I found most troubling is David's expectation that the national park service, not the FBI, should be investigators and keep records of missing people.
Why on earth, besides for making an engaging book, would Mr. Paulides expect the Park Service Police to investigate missing people. That's the job of local police and the FBI who do, in fact, maintain these records.
From the NPS website [...]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The primary duty of the U.S. Park Police is to protect lives. Police Officers are hired by our National Capitol Region and are initially assigned to the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area, where most of the force operates. Police Officers may be assigned to areas in New York City or San Francisco and may be detailed to any park of the National Park System on a temporary basis, but men and women who are considering careers as Park Police should expect to work in a large urban area.

He implies the Parks Service Police are covering something up is insulting and dishonest. Also dishonest is his record as a police officer. Paulides leaves off his arrest for soliciting celebrity autographs on police stationary.

Paulides' outright refusal to acknowledge paradoxical undressing as well as terminal burrowing, which are both related to Hypothermia. He is so dreadfully ill-informed relative to both of these factors that they could account for a MAJORITY of the cases outlined in "Missing 411"  The vast majority of the cases in Missing 411 are not bizarre or mysterious as Paulides would have you believe; rather they follow the general conventions of a lost person, especially if those people are suffering from the effects of hypothermia. The conspicuous denial of these factors enables Paulides to shoehorn his ideas into a serious flawed theory!

Paulides dismissed outright in his on air interview with George Knapp on Coast to Coast AM, of people taking their clothes off. Contrary to Paulides and his inexperience as a Search and Rescue professional, in advance cases of Hypothermia people do take articles of clothing off. Many of the cases where clothes were removed can be attributed to this. This phenomenon is described as paradoxical undressing. In other words, when hypothermia sets in, your skin feels as if it is on fire. This combined with an altered state of mind is the reason why people in advanced stages of hypothermia, take their clothes off. You think you're hot when obviously not. Compounding this is "terminal burrowing." People tend to take their clothes off and hide. It's also called hide and die. This may seem counter-intuitive as a number of people in the woods do exactly that. It is not uncommon for people to take their clothes off and hide just before they die of hypothermia.

SOURCE(S):

* Indian Internet Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 2010, Volume : 8, Issue 4
* Rothschild MA, Mülling C, Luzar (2004) lethal hypothermia: The phenomena of paradoxical undressing and hide and die syndrome.
* New Scientist Health Magazine, issue April 2007: The word Paradoxical Undressing

On Sunday 11/25/26/12 with George Knapp on Coast to Coast (show title "Bigfoot DNA" available on YouTube) he told the story of a South Carolina toddler Jason Burton who went missing on and was discovered, according to Paulides, on a sand bar in the middle of a river. Knapp chimed in with "He could not have swam to it." I went to the local news station website ( http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/dec/16/33/spartanburg-deputies-searching-missing-one-year-ol-ar-2881997/) and watched a video report of the case. The reporter clearly

states the boy was found on a sandbar, "a few steps from shore." I went to the google map provided by the website and looked at a satellite image of the river. The river is clearly narrow and with occasional sandbars extending from the banks. I realize the image is not current but its strains credulity to assert that the sandbar would be in the middle of the river with swift water currents on both sides when the more plausible explanation is " a few steps from shore." as reported. If Paulides is as scrupulous in his fact checking as he asserts, how did he miss this? Is he incompetent?

These books amount to nothing more than grossly negligent and irresponsible journalism that borders on fear mongering in order to sell copy. Paulides is woefully ill-informed and ignorant of modern search and rescue techniques and as a result is spewing purposely deceitful garbage.

Sorry folks no government cover-up, no Bigfoots, No UFO's. All this Author has done is trivialized the deaths of many people, a majority of them children who died often under extremely tragic circumstances. There are still living relatives and by publicizing their deaths and asserting that they were all connected as victims of Bigfoot attacks in the mountains shows HIS true character and agenda. His character is rather evident and his agenda is bipedal and hairy with a loping gate. He has traded on their deaths in order to sell books and that all he has done.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: tensy on December 03, 2013, 11:02:03 AM
Because he makes stuff up to sell books.  Twists facts and misleads his readers.

What I found most troubling is David's expectation that the national park service, not the FBI, should be investigators and keep records of missing people.
Why on earth, besides for making an engaging book, would Mr. Paulides expect the Park Service Police to investigate missing people. That's the job of local police and the FBI who do, in fact, maintain these records.
From the NPS website [...]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The primary duty of the U.S. Park Police is to protect lives. Police Officers are hired by our National Capitol Region and are initially assigned to the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area, where most of the force operates. Police Officers may be assigned to areas in New York City or San Francisco and may be detailed to any park of the National Park System on a temporary basis, but men and women who are considering careers as Park Police should expect to work in a large urban area.

He implies the Parks Service Police are covering something up is insulting and dishonest. Also dishonest is his record as a police officer. Paulides leaves off his arrest for soliciting celebrity autographs on police stationary.

Paulides' outright refusal to acknowledge paradoxical undressing as well as terminal burrowing, which are both related to Hypothermia. He is so dreadfully ill-informed relative to both of these factors that they could account for a MAJORITY of the cases outlined in "Missing 411"  The vast majority of the cases in Missing 411 are not bizarre or mysterious as Paulides would have you believe; rather they follow the general conventions of a lost person, especially if those people are suffering from the effects of hypothermia. The conspicuous denial of these factors enables Paulides to shoehorn his ideas into a serious flawed theory!

Paulides dismissed outright in his on air interview with George Knapp on Coast to Coast AM, of people taking their clothes off. Contrary to Paulides and his inexperience as a Search and Rescue professional, in advance cases of Hypothermia people do take articles of clothing off. Many of the cases where clothes were removed can be attributed to this. This phenomenon is described as paradoxical undressing. In other words, when hypothermia sets in, your skin feels as if it is on fire. This combined with an altered state of mind is the reason why people in advanced stages of hypothermia, take their clothes off. You think you're hot when obviously not. Compounding this is "terminal burrowing." People tend to take their clothes off and hide. It's also called hide and die. This may seem counter-intuitive as a number of people in the woods do exactly that. It is not uncommon for people to take their clothes off and hide just before they die of hypothermia.

SOURCE(S):

* Indian Internet Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 2010, Volume : 8, Issue 4
* Rothschild MA, Mülling C, Luzar (2004) lethal hypothermia: The phenomena of paradoxical undressing and hide and die syndrome.
* New Scientist Health Magazine, issue April 2007: The word Paradoxical Undressing

On Sunday 11/25/26/12 with George Knapp on Coast to Coast (show title "Bigfoot DNA" available on YouTube) he told the story of a South Carolina toddler Jason Burton who went missing on and was discovered, according to Paulides, on a sand bar in the middle of a river. Knapp chimed in with "He could not have swam to it." I went to the local news station website ( http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/dec/16/33/spartanburg-deputies-searching-missing-one-year-ol-ar-2881997/) and watched a video report of the case. The reporter clearly

states the boy was found on a sandbar, "a few steps from shore." I went to the google map provided by the website and looked at a satellite image of the river. The river is clearly narrow and with occasional sandbars extending from the banks. I realize the image is not current but its strains credulity to assert that the sandbar would be in the middle of the river with swift water currents on both sides when the more plausible explanation is " a few steps from shore." as reported. If Paulides is as scrupulous in his fact checking as he asserts, how did he miss this? Is he incompetent?

These books amount to nothing more than grossly negligent and irresponsible journalism that borders on fear mongering in order to sell copy. Paulides is woefully ill-informed and ignorant of modern search and rescue techniques and as a result is spewing purposely deceitful garbage.

Sorry folks no government cover-up, no Bigfoots, No UFO's. All this Author has done is trivialized the deaths of many people, a majority of them children who died often under extremely tragic circumstances. There are still living relatives and by publicizing their deaths and asserting that they were all connected as victims of Bigfoot attacks in the mountains shows HIS true character and agenda. His character is rather evident and his agenda is bipedal and hairy with a loping gate. He has traded on their deaths in order to sell books and that all he has done.

This is the best post I've ever read anywhere on this site.  Thanks for taking the time to put all that down.

yumyumtree

I read about parodoxical undressing in The Childrens' Blizzard by David Laskin but I don't remember if he calls it that.

Gd5150

Paulides is one of the best guests all time on coast to coast. He and Knapp make for a great show. There are clearly some very bizarre missing persons cases in his books. Over half are completely illogical and unexplainable. Maybe a 1/4 are not too bizarre.

He addresses directly the theory of clothing removal due to hypothermia. Many cases involve people with 1 shoe missing. Many involve never finding any shoes which is bizarre. In a place like Yosemite NP that has millions of visitors per year, shining light on these cases is an important cause.

Obviously Pailides is selling books, who isn't. We can listen with an open mind and adjust for his potential agend. I wonder what the agenda is of the above poster. To express the level of hatred he does for Paulides is interesting.

I look forward to listening to Paulides and Knapp on many more shows. It's about the only thing left on coast to coast that I find interesting.

Gd5150

Quote from: tensy on December 03, 2013, 11:02:03 AM

Well that explains the mystery. Paulides in NO way trivializes these deaths nor does he imply they are all related to bigfoots & UFOs. I've read one of his books, you clearly have not. I don't believe you've listened to the shows he's been on either. If you are going to insinuate he's a charlatan capitalizing on the deaths of innocent people then you can include George Knapp and Coast to Coast in that as well. They've had him on 5x dealing with the missing persons subject. I have to say I find your post rather "purposely deceitful garbage". Fortunately I don't see either of our posts reaching much more than the 3 people who use this website.

Jocko Johnson

Quote from: Uncle Duke on November 22, 2013, 10:25:01 PM
I'd add a fifth category.......just plain stupid.

Col John Alexander--Legit
Douglas Dettrich--Crazy
Stanton Friedman--Deluded
Alex Jones--Just plain stupid
LMH--Legit, but only marginally talented
Nick Redfern--Charlatan
Can't forget...jorch...the King of STUPID!

tensy

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 04, 2013, 01:03:41 AM
Well that explains the mystery. Paulides in NO way trivializes these deaths nor does he imply they are all related to bigfoots & UFOs. I've read one of his books, you clearly have not. I don't believe you've listened to the shows he's been on either. If you are going to insinuate he's a charlatan capitalizing on the deaths of innocent people then you can include George Knapp and Coast to Coast in that as well. They've had him on 5x dealing with the missing persons subject. I have to say I find your post rather "purposely deceitful garbage". Fortunately I don't see either of our posts reaching much more than the 3 people who use this website.

Paulides is an insult to real Search and Rescue teams.  He is capitalizing on missing persons to sell books.   He never claims bigfoot or UFOs took these people, but he certainly implies it or some supernatural force.
Looking at your AV I assume you must be a footer so you therefore have read some of Paulides books. 
Sorry, he totally distorts or leaves out facts.  If you took the time to actually do your own research on the cases he describes you will see they are not that mysterious and fit perfectly into the realm of paradoxical undressing.  Google it and tell me Paulides isn't ignoring this classic symptom of hypothermia.

What really pisses me off about this guy is how he implies the NPS and 200 Green Berets were somehow in on a huge government cover up and conspiracy.   They know something and are hiding it.
He NEVER contacts the bureau that investigates missing persons for statistics, the FBI.  He instead expects the United States Park Police to keep records and investigate missing persons.  Google them, that's not their job.  He's a charlatan and profiting from the tragedy of missing people.    Over the years horrible mistakes have been made searching for missing people and much has been learned about the behavior of missing people in the wilderness. 

Pauides is either a total quack and snake oil salesman or totally incompetent.    Being as he was arrested and thrown off the police force, I'll go with quack.

I will admit there are some cases that are truly perplexing and fascinating.   I wish he would not feel the need to make stuff up to fill pages of a book.

But hey, if you want to fork over $45 of hard earned cash to support his hobby, go for it. 

It astonishes me how few people take the time to fact check these "experts". 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Gd5150 on December 04, 2013, 12:42:20 AM
Paulides is one of the best guests all time on coast to coast. He and Knapp make for a great show. There are clearly some very bizarre missing persons cases in his books. Over half are completely illogical and unexplainable. Maybe a 1/4 are not too bizarre.

He addresses directly the theory of clothing removal due to hypothermia. Many cases involve people with 1 shoe missing. Many involve never finding any shoes which is bizarre. In a place like Yosemite NP that has millions of visitors per year, shining light on these cases is an important cause.

Obviously Pailides is selling books, who isn't. We can listen with an open mind and adjust for his potential agend. I wonder what the agenda is of the above poster. To express the level of hatred he does for Paulides is interesting.

I look forward to listening to Paulides and Knapp on many more shows. It's about the only thing left on coast to coast that I find interesting.

I normally don't get involved in other people's disputes, but I feel I should interject here.  Yes, Paulidies is a better than average C2C guest who certainly has his story down pat and is well prepared for his guest duties.  Pairing him with George Knapp is a definite plus as Knapp knows his way around a professional interview.  Still....

I initially asked Tensy why he considered Paulidies a charlatan as a result of my disappointing e-mail exchanges with Paulides, specifically those dealing with his claims of Green Beret cover-up in the Martin case in Tenn.  While I consider personal corresondence to be "personal", I'll say I was quite disappointed with his response to my offers to assist in the filing of a FOIA request to Ft Bragg and to help him track down US Special Forces (through a couple veterans' associations with which I am affilated) who were allegedly involved in the search for Martin.  The author apparently assumed I was either a government shill assigned to throw him off the track or afraid what I'd produce as a result of an authoritive search vis a vis his "Grenn Beret cover-up" schtick.  Frankly, he seemed more interested in protecting his story-line than finding factual data from authorative USA sources.

I will defer to Tensy those issues dealing with S/R specifics, but I too am offended Paulides implies Green Berets were involves in some supernatural cover-up in the Martin case.  The GBs were as well trained and equipped to find lost presons as any force in the world as a function of a similar mission to locate pilots shotdown  in SEA at the time.  Such a search for Martin would have been a "win-win", giving the Greens a realistic training opportunity as well as allowing an advanced rescue force to join the seach effort for a youngster.

Paulidies is welcome to spread all the rumors and innuendo he wishes about aliens and bigfoots, but I draw the line at including the Green Berets and other USA elements in his crazed cover-ups conspiracies.  I was willing to help prove such was not the case, but.......

gringomisio

Quote from: tensy on December 02, 2013, 03:19:35 PM
Charlatan - LA Marzuli

Although I agree with your assessment, he is one of the more entertaining guests.

Jocko Johnson

This nut case on jbw tonite...I can't stand how he (and mostly newscasters who try to pronounce spanish words with a fakd spanish accent) pronounces words and phrases in the...I guess language of whatever he's spewing on and on about. I want to puke...turned off bye bye.
Did he just say FDR commented war crimes leading an invasion of Haiti?  Holy shit! And jbw didn't even blink. What's the point of having these morons on...the shit this mook spits out is ludicrous!  The wildest unsubstantiated bullshit that pops into his crazy head. And c2c just lets it go...

Little Hater

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on December 08, 2013, 12:34:11 AM
This nut case on jbw tonite...I can't stand how he (and mostly newscasters who try to pronounce spanish words with a fakd spanish accent) pronounces words and phrases in the...I guess language of whatever he's spewing on and on about. I want to puke...turned off bye bye.
Did he just say FDR commented war crimes leading an invasion of Haiti?  Holy shit! And jbw didn't even blink. What's the point of having these morons on...the shit this mook spits out is ludicrous!  The wildest unsubstantiated bullshit that pops into his crazy head. And c2c just lets it go...

I stopped listening to C2C for good when they insisted on continuing to have this lying sack of shit as a guest. Some of the regular C2C liars are at least entertaining (RCH). Not Dietrich.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on December 08, 2013, 12:34:11 AM

I identified Dietrich as crazy a month ago in this thread when he was out of sight/out of mind after having not been on the show for long time.  Of all the goofballs/nutjobs/pathalogical liars I have heard on C2C since the 90s, Dietrich is the worst.  I remember when he was a caller before being a guest, and he was nuts then.  I would love to hear him on the air in a debate setting against Col John Alexander.  Alexander would expose him for the sack of shit, liar he is.

Jocko Johnson

Heard him when he was first on...maybe his absence was due to being placed in the luney bin? He does seem crazier each time he is on.

RedMichael

I would consider any guest that truly believes they saw something (aliens, ghosts, etc)as legit, EVEN if I don't believe them. Its the ones that make it up from the get go or for profit or whatever. But its impossible for me to tell the difference.

The ones that are lying get good at it because their financial well-being usually depends on it.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Jocko Johnson on December 09, 2013, 02:19:57 AM
Heard him when he was first on...maybe his absence was due to being placed in the luney bin? He does seem crazier each time he is on.

I could easily list several of Dietrich's statements and theories that are factually incorrrect, but what I don't get is why he served in the USMC during the Gulf War.  He's constantly talking about wars being fought at the expense of the common soldier/sailor/marine/airman to make money for the elite, but he joined the US military and fought in an oil war?