• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Survey on Fallout from Bell Retirement XVII

Started by RecoveringNoorholic, November 14, 2013, 01:19:53 AM

I'm curious about how/if the board's views have evolved in response to Retirement XVII:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMMXY7B

Falkie2013

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 14, 2013, 01:19:53 AM
I'm curious about how/if the board's views have evolved in response to Retirement XVII:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TMMXY7B

The poll = 87 % pro Art Bell !!! ...

Yeah, so, in light of these results I'm pretty much convinced at this point that this board has transformed from a gathering place for Art Bell fans into a cult with Art Bell as the disinterested guru. Especially in light of question 3.

Rank the following Coast to Coast AM hosts in order of whom you trust most to give you factual no-spin information on matters related to the business and production of C2CAM / Dark Matter / SiriusXM / PremierRadio.

#1 - George Noory - 13% 
#1 - Art Bell - 87% 

Should Art Bell have quit SiriusXM?

Yes - 26%
No - 39%
Unsure - 35%

If Premier Radio announced a fan vote on host for C2CAM, which of the following would you like to see win?

#1 - Art Bell
#2 - George Knapp
#3 - John B. Wells
#4 - Rob Simone
#5 - Rollye James
#6 - Hilly Rose
#7 - Mike Siegel
#8 - George Noory

How has your opinion of George Noory as a person/businessman changed since Art's departure from Dark Matter?

was previously positive, has become more positive - 4.3%
was previously positive, has become more negative - 17.4%
was previously positive, has not changed - 0.0%
was previously negative, has become more positive - 13.0%
was previously negative, has become more negative - 52.2%
was previously negative, has not changed - 13.0%

How has your opinion of Art Bell as a person/businessman changed since his departure from Dark Matter?

was previously positive, has become more positive - 39.1%
was previously positive, has become more negative - 21.7%
was previously positive, has not changed - 34.8%
was previously negative, has become more positive - 4.3%
was previously negative, has become more negative - 0.0%
was previously negative, has not changed - 0.0%

With 39 respondents, views seem to have moderated somewhat ... the key findings:

1 - Only 25.6% believe Art should have quit SiriusXM
2 - 25.7% would rather someone other than Art be host of C2CAM, with George Knapp the most popular choice
3 - 17.9% report having a "more positive" view of George Noory
4 - 30.8% report having a "more negative" view of Art

Ben Shockley

It was impressed upon me that you can never have too much data.   Things can be edited, value across variables can be collapsed, and scales created after your data is in.  In other words -- with other things being equal, more questions on a survey are better than fewer questions.

A big problem I see in this little questionnaire --and one that made me as a potential respondent just not fill it out -- was the double-barrelled questions about Noory and Bell as "persons AND businessmen."   Those should definitely be separate questions.   In both men's cases, I think they're pretty savvy "businessmen" (i.e., career-maintainers), with Noory better at that than Bell.   I think they're both pretty scummy as "people;"   I'm not sure who I'd score lower, but probably Bell.

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 14, 2013, 02:24:28 AM
...in light of these results I'm pretty much convinced at this point that this board has transformed from a gathering place for Art Bell fans into a cult with Art Bell as the disinterested guru.
Exactly.

Quote from: Ben Shockley on November 14, 2013, 11:40:16 AM
It was impressed upon me that you can never have too much data.   Things can be edited, value across variables can be collapsed, and scales created after your data is in.  In other words -- with other things being equal, more questions on a survey are better than fewer questions.

A big problem I see in this little questionnaire --and one that made me as a potential respondent just not fill it out --

Oh no! I'm sorry you were so scandalized. I'll give Gallup a call and see if they can organize a scientifically accurate survey with a nationally representative demographic and acceptable error margins and confidence intervals. I feel like a real jackass.

Yorkshire pud

How has your opinion of Art Bell as a person/businessman changed since his departure from Dark Matter?

was previously positive, has become more positive - 39.1%

Pretty much confirming the cult status; as they clearly know jack shit about business and business ethics.
The question you should be asking if George Noory or Art Bell were televised pulling the heads off newborn puppies, which would go further down your estimations as a person?

Guess what my money is on? Then some wouldn't answer because they wouldn't understand the question.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 14, 2013, 11:52:04 AM
Oh no! I'm sorry you were so scandalized...I feel like a real jackass.
No, no, please don't have that feeling.   Clearly, I am the jackass for expressing an observation regarding a technical issue in survey research in such a profane, insulting, ad hominem way as I did it.  I was obviously way out of line.

But I'm willing to learn from a stable, level-headed operator like you, Noorholic.
Tell me:  assuming for a moment that you were in my place and had a good-faith observation and opinion regarding a technical matter in a public post (posted there seemingly to invite response), along the lines of the one I expressed in such an obviously inappropriate way, how would YOU have expressed it?

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 14, 2013, 12:04:08 PM
...if George Noory or Art Bell were televised pulling the heads off newborn puppies...
Regarding seeing Noory doing that: a lot of folks in here would say "I knew it all along!  That guy is one sick freak in his personal life!"
Regarding Bell: most in here would immediately clap their hands over their eyes in the "see no evil" stance, and begin reciting the Bellsucker's Mantra-- "what he does in his personal life is none of our business;  I wish him and his mangled puppies all possible happiness..."

Ben Shockley

Quote from: onan on November 14, 2013, 12:15:33 PM
Why do you hate America?
Plus, I'm a dickhead in general -- don't forget.
Reacting to a post in a message forum -- AND doing it neutrally and instructively!?   What the hell was wrong with me ?!?

Quote from: Ben Shockley on November 14, 2013, 12:11:21 PM
No, no, please don't have that feeling.   Clearly, I am the jackass for expressing an observation regarding a technical issue in survey research in such a profane, insulting, ad hominem way as I did it.  I was obviously way out of line.

But I'm willing to learn from a stable, level-headed operator like you, Noorholic.
Tell me:  assuming for a moment that you were in my place and had a good-faith observation and opinion regarding a technical matter in a public post (posted there seemingly to invite response), along the lines of the one I expressed in such an obviously inappropriate way, how would YOU have expressed it?

Obviously you should have contacted the Bureau of Weights and Measures, submitting Form 92-TL/14 in carbon-copied duplicate, objecting to the technical error of an online web poll conducted on bellgab.com. This could then be used for a TIA Act violation hearing before the Federal Trade Commission, and request for administrative relief.

Now with 71 respondents:

1 - Only 22.5% believe Art should have quit SiriusXM
2 - 18.3% would rather someone other than Art be host of C2CAM, with George Knapp the most popular choice*
3 - 18.3% report having a "more positive" view of George Noory
4 - 33.6% report having a "more negative" view of Art

* I assume those answering this question are answering it in an "Art Bell Fantasyland" setting where - once installed - Art does C2CAM daily for the next 40 years, instead of an "Art Bell Reality" setting where - once installed - Art retires during the first commercial break of the premier broadcast and then spends the next 10 years hinting that he might come back, dribbling out tidbits of insider office politics, and publicly regretting his retirement.

onan

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 14, 2013, 08:13:33 PM
Now with 71 respondents:

1 - Only 22.5% believe Art should have quit SiriusXM
2 - 18.3% would rather someone other than Art be host of C2CAM, with George Knapp the most popular choice*
3 - 18.3% report having a "more positive" view of George Noory
4 - 33.6% report having a "more negative" view of Art

* I assume those answering this question are answering it in an "Art Bell Fantasyland" setting where - once installed - Art does C2CAM daily for the next 40 years, instead of an "Art Bell Reality" setting where - once installed - Art retires during the first commercial break of the premier broadcast.

Or you could say over 80 percent would rather have Art host c2c. You could say over 80 percent don't have a more positive view of noory. And you could say that over 66% have a positive view of Art. And 77.5% think quitting was not the best option.

I think we get your point of view. And rather than let you use a quote from this reply to call me a fangirl... I will just say, you seem to like noory more than most here... good for you.

Quote from: onan on November 14, 2013, 08:20:07 PM
And rather than let you use a quote from this reply to call me a fangirl... I will just say, you seem to like noory more than most here... good for you.

Correct. I registered this account five years ago and spent half-a-decade posting various ad hom attacks about Noory and photoshopping Noory's head onto women's bodies just to build up credibility so that - in the event Art came back - I could then come out pro-Noory, which is what I secretly was all along.

Also, I'm the one who scrubbed Bob Lazar's Harvard transcript.

fangirl

onan

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 14, 2013, 08:23:29 PM
Correct. I registered this account here five years ago and spent five years posting various ad hom attacks about Noory and photoshopping Noory's head onto women's bodies just to build up credibility so that - in the event Art came back - I could then come out pro-Noory, which is what I really was all along.

Also, I'm the one who scrubbed Bob Lazar's Harvard transcript.

fangirl

wow I am impressed, 5 years and you want to piss on Art, because he didn't follow your script... and really you did an Internet search... and it took more than 5 minutes, man you are a google beast.

dipshit.

Quote from: onan on November 14, 2013, 08:27:11 PM
wow I am impressed 5 years and you want to piss on Art because he didn't follow your script... and really you did an internet search... and it took more than 5 minutes, man you are a google beast.

dipshit.

I enjoy Art Bell's broadcasts. However, he is not my friend and I am not emotionally invested in him. I am unable to form emotional attachments with celebrities, politicians or musicians I've never met, that I only "know" through the internet or radio broadcasts. Maybe that's why I never got into the Jonas Bros. or Bieber. It sounds like you are able to form these type of attachments. And that's okay.

I have no "loyalty" to Art Bell or Justin Bieber - my only interest is in the quality of their product; once that goes, so does my interest. Art Bell's only recent product is irregular contributions to a rambling internet gossip column, and my interest in it has expired. You are free to disagree.

here are my responses, for the record -

Rank the following Coast to Coast AM hosts in order of whom you trust most to give you factual no-spin information on matters related to the business and production of C2CAM / Dark Matter / SiriusXM / PremierRadio.

#1 - George Noory
#2 - Art Bell

Should Art Bell have quit SiriusXM?

No

If Premier Radio announced a fan vote on host for C2CAM, which of the following would you like to see win?

#1 - George Knapp*
#2 - Rob Simone
#3 - Rollye James
#4 - Art Bell
#5 - George Noory
#6 - John B. Wells
#7 - Hilly Rose
#8 - Mike Siegel

How has your opinion of George Noory as a person/businessman changed since Art's departure from Dark Matter?

was previously negative, has become more positive

was previously positive, has become more negative   

* this is idealistic of me, though; I don't think Knapp could maintain the quality of his product if he had to do 22 days/month instead of 2 ... you get to a point where you have so many hours of programming to fill you eventually need to start booking the Numbers Ladies of the world

onan

Quote from: Recovering Noorholic on November 14, 2013, 08:29:05 PM
I enjoy Art Bell's broadcasts. However, he is not my friend and I am not emotionally invested in him. I am unable to form emotional attachments with celebrities, politicians or musicians I've never met, that I only "know" through the internet or radio broadcasts. Maybe that's why I never got into the Jonas Bros. or Bieber. It sounds like you are able to form these type of attachments. And that's okay.

I have no "loyalty" to Art Bell or Justin Bieber - my only interest is in the quality of their product; once that goes, so does my interest. Art Bell's only recent product is irregular contributions to a rambling internet gossip column, and my interest in it has expired. You are free to disagree.

*sigh* ok if you wish to place me in some starkissers pigeon hole fine. But the actuality is noory stinks. He stinks regarding his performance as a radio host. He stinks personally with endeavors to bribe forum members, requesting forums to change their discourse to suit his ego.

Yes I do like Art. As a host he is better than any other. If you go back over my posts (not that I really want you to), you will see I have been very critical of him with several issues up to and including his choice to leave DM after a short time.

So please continue with your poll... I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, since you spent 5 years here; but have no significant alliance to Bell. Even though for most your tenure the forum was called GeorgeNoorysucks. But I find your poll tedious and your presentation of the "data" more spin than relevant.

Quote from: onan on November 14, 2013, 08:57:41 PMI am not sure what you are trying to achieve, since you spent 5 years here; but have no significant alliance to Bell.

Correct. Like I said, I do not form emotional attachments or "alliances" with celebrities. Art Bell, Justin Bieber and Tom Cruise don't come to my workplace and rally for my success, I have no interest in rallying for theirs. My only interest is in the potential consumer value of their product to me personally. The product Art Bell has been producing the last few years - an irregular, message-board based gossip column about inter-office politics at a small radio syndication company in a dumpy suburb of LA - is not a product that provides value to my life. In the absence of personally realized value, I feel no need to hysterically race to Art's defense.

Also, like I said, I have no ill will toward you that you form emotional attachments with celebrities. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't think, though I'm not a medical doctor so can't say for certain.

Now with 86 respondents:

1 - only 20.9% believe Art should have quit Dark Matter
2 - only 23.3% would rather someone other than Art be host of C2CAM, with George Knapp the most popular choice*
3 - 19.7% report having a "more positive" view of George Noory since Art quit Dark Matter
4 - 38.4% report having a "more negative" view of Art since Art quit Dark Matter

Falkie2013

Quote from: Ben Shockley on November 14, 2013, 12:43:13 PM
Plus, I'm a dickhead in general -- don't forget.
Reacting to a post in a message forum -- AND doing it neutrally and instructively!?   What the hell was wrong with me ?!?

Saying anyone is scummy is hardly a neutral opinion.

Ben Shockley

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 15, 2013, 01:57:47 AM
Saying anyone is scummy is hardly a neutral opinion.
I meant that my tone in pointing out some methodological nuance --the purpose of my initial post under this thread, and undoubtedly what Noorholic had taken wrongly and reacted defensively to-- had been "neutral" toward Noorholic, whose reaction is what I was marveling at.

Now, Falkie-- are there any other of my posts that you fail to understand from context and need me to explain?

RedMichael

Those results aren't good considering Bell could do no wrong at the beginning of the show. The traffic on this site went down too so theres a lot of missing votes.

Im surprised Wells is considered the 4th best choice to host C2C. Scary.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: RedMichael on November 15, 2013, 07:21:58 AM

Im surprised Wells is considered the 4th best choice to host C2C. Scary.

Maybe because he actually turns up to work? It would be unfair to form an opinion on someones broadcasting presence if they're not there wouldn't it?

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 15, 2013, 02:51:43 PM
Maybe because he actually turns up to work? It would be unfair to form an opinion on someones broadcasting presence if they're not there wouldn't it?

LOL

+1

98 people have now answered the survey, however, at this point cookies will be clearing and some of this may be overvoting so I'm going to assume the summary in my response #20 in this thread is probably representative of this forum ... which says a lot when a pro-Art Bell forum is running a 38% negative opinion of Art, seems to indicate Art -

- with his latest retirement.

RedMichael

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 15, 2013, 02:51:43 PM

We all knew Bell would get the top spots in the Bell Gab circle jerk. So I kind of just ignore that and look at who still matters.