• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

technical reason, please?

Started by Shayna23, November 11, 2013, 10:32:03 PM

Shayna23

Does anyone know the technical/software issue or reason SiriusXM was having trouble with the errors or timeouts or what some people were having trouble with?

Booner

Hi, Shayna.  I listened on my smartphone and I never had any trouble, ever, not once ever never.

Only Art knows why he bailed out.   

I, personally, need to move on from this.   It's just depressing.   I was excited all summer for fall to start so I could listen to Art again.  But I had a stinking suspicion it wouldn't last.   Honestly, I thought he'd drop dead from lung cancer (I saw a picture of him smoking in his local paper).  I'm happy that wasn't  reason behind this sudden departure, but he did leave, and I think the chances of his returning are about as good as coming back from the dead.

I just don't know how he can show his face at all on facebook, his website, here, etc. and put the blame on Sirius and give out false hope that he might still come back.

George Drooly

Hey people, maybe stop starting new threads in the "Live Discussion" branch of the forum. MV obviously has to then delete or move them.

D U H

williedee

Quote from: Shayna23 on November 11, 2013, 10:32:03 PM
Does anyone know the technical/software issue or reason SiriusXM was having trouble with the errors or timeouts or what some people were having trouble with?

the trouble seemed to stem from the way the player was designed (having the 5 hour replay available is probably a big one)

the only other technical issue would be that they didn't have enough servers provisioned to host his stream

Falkie2013

Quote from: Booner on November 11, 2013, 10:54:57 PM
Hi, Shayna.  I listened on my smartphone and I never had any trouble, ever, not once ever never.

Only Art knows why he bailed out.   

I, personally, need to move on from this.   It's just depressing.   I was excited all summer for fall to start so I could listen to Art again.  But I had a stinking suspicion it wouldn't last.   Honestly, I thought he'd drop dead from lung cancer (I saw a picture of him smoking in his local paper).  I'm happy that wasn't  reason behind this sudden departure, but he did leave, and I think the chances of his returning are about as good as coming back from the dead.

I just don't know how he can show his face at all on facebook, his website, here, etc. and put the blame on Sirius and give out false hope that he might still come back.

Well, I came back twice after being pronounced dead so it can and does happen.
But, I digress.
I never could get the Sirius Iphone to work. It dithered for an hour and never got me on line.
Which is another problem that others have mentioned as well.

Morgus

Quote from: Shayna23 on November 11, 2013, 10:32:03 PM
I never had any issues on my PC with a direct ethernet cable connection to a good quality router and my high speed cable internet ISP.
I did get an error and dropout one time when I used a notebook PC via wifi in the kitchen, but that was if I turned on the microwave oven which interferes with the wifi frequencies.
So I suspect most errors/dropouts reported were due to a user's wifi and router setup, often there is wifi interference from neighbors on the same or nearby channels.

Booner

Well, obviously the technical reason is Art didn't want to have George on after him!

I stand by my bet that chances aren't so good he will be back, but I'm sorry that I blamed Art.

Juan

I had dropouts for the first month.  The dropouts were only during Art's show on 104.  If I had a dropout, and trouble reconnecting, on 104 I could switch to another channel and listen without a problem.  The last two weeks, I had the dropout only occasionally.  That tells me that Art began with a large audience, larger than other shows on SiriusXM.  I thought when the dropouts reduced the last two weeks, that SiriusXM had done something to improve.  Now I'm thinking that a lot fewer people were listening after the free subscriptions ended.  Fewer people resulted in fewer dropouts.  This makes me think that SiriusXM, like George Noory, sucks.

john_malone

Quote from: williedee on November 12, 2013, 12:49:02 PM
the trouble seemed to stem from the way the player was designed (having the 5 hour replay available is probably a big one)

the only other technical issue would be that they didn't have enough servers provisioned to host his stream

Its all about platform and knowledge.
They can have 10000000000000 windows servers and it would never work. I know. I have been in the business for over 20 years with servers that always are online. (accepted 99.9999%).

The IT business is the business with the most incompetent people. At least 90% working with it have zero clue. They have no idea what an IF/AND/OR gate is. They only know about Windows and clicking some windows.
The sad thing is that these people often are becomes IT chefs and/or CEOs. Just look at Nokia and how Microsoft Stephen Elop destroyed the world largest cell phone company in just a couple of years. I worked at Ericsson when they where nr1 in the world and they hired a MSFT guy. Less then 5 years later from nr1 to out of business.

Sirius don't even have huge loads on their servers. When they offered free streaming for a week they had on average 100K unique listeners per day. Thats nothing.

Sirius under Mel was an incompetent company. Maybe John Malone can fix it.

Wintermute

I had connectivity errors when I either had bad WiFi or bad 3G/4G coverage on my phones and tablets. Computer through the browser was rock solid. Either way it wasn't a Sirius problem