• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Catsmile

Quote from: phrodo on November 07, 2013, 11:49:01 PM
I agree - and the rude ignorant people who think they are entitled to do so because they've been registered on this forum longer than others are even more desperate and despicable. That's sadly childish and reeks of grade-school playground mentality - IMHO. Maybe we don't count because we don't know the secret handshake?  :o

Join us... join us... Nuthuggers.
We have donuts, join us.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Wilderness on November 07, 2013, 09:55:22 PM
That is certainly fucked up - they'd rather pay for a cell phone rather than more important things.
I wouldn't give my kid any kind of cell phone, not until they could pay for it themselves.

It boggles my mind that I've been on the bus and see 7th graders playing on the latest Iphones and having their own Ipads at 5 in Barnes and Noble.
But then I also saw 5 year olds one day smoking weed on the 22 Fillmore Muni line too.
::) :-\
I would not be able to eat anything without electricity because the stove, oven and microwave are all electric. Its why I keep the bbq outside on the balcony because I can always cook something on it in case of a blackout.
And the peripherals break as well. I don't recall if the one I was plugging in to the power strip was an Apple one or not, but when I got home and tried to plug in my Iphone to the usb device on it, I found part of it lying on the floor with me going " WTF ? ". I got it back together but it was weird. So much of our stuff relies on recharging one device or another that if the grid ever were to go down America would grind to a halt.

widespread1

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 07, 2013, 11:13:49 PM

We need coz here to tell Art and Paul how to right the ship.

lol I have created a monster

Falkie2013

Quote from: Lioness on November 07, 2013, 11:45:47 PM
I approve of this. Can see my ad now:

27 SWF SEEKING SWM 4 ALIENS, PASSION, DARK MATTER
Ham operator, athlete, librarian. Luv 2 listn 2 Art Bell.
Pls b kid/disease free. No Alex Jones fans

" Willing to accept light anal probing as well. "

yes, sports fans. harshing is a word.

harshing
English

Verb
harshing

Present participle of harsh.

from the urban dictionary :

harshing
To bring someone down from a good feeling.
Dude, you're harsing my mellow

Here's what I don't understand about the logistics of this whole thing.

If Art gets the stream up and running without the aid of Sirius, then he has limited his audience to those who can stream the show over the net. The audience that migrated to Sirius will be lost as the show will not be streamed to the vehicle audience through mobile radios.

I suppose that folks on the road can listen through a mobile device, but won't that be cost prohibitive? Without the vehicle audience Art is back to the streaming crowd though how many simultaneous listeners could stream is an open question.

Anyway first the argument was too many vehicles with cell phone callers. Now it seems there will be few if any, and an audience that will be limited by the capacity to stream. So wouldn't it have made more sense to stick it out with Sirius who is set to distribute the stream through web app and radio devices? I'm worried that if this does take off it may introduce more difficulties than sticking with Sirius.

I guess my question is, will this option REALLY be better than sticking with Dark Matter on SXM for the next three years and then proposing a move to be an independent broadcaster and exploring the stream then? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 08, 2013, 12:02:35 AM

If Art gets the stream up and running without the aid of Sirius, then he has limited his audience to those who can stream the show over the net. The audience that migrated to Sirius will be lost as the show will not be streamed to the vehicle audience through mobile radios.

I suppose that folks on the road can listen through a mobile device, but won't that be cost prohibitive? Without the vehicle audience Art is back to the streaming crowd though how many simultaneous listeners could stream is an open question.

Anyway first the argument was too many vehicles with cell phone callers. Now it seems there will be few if any, and an audience that will be limited by the capacity to stream. So wouldn't it have made more sense to stick it out with Sirius who is set to distribute the stream through web app and radio devices? I'm worried that if this does take off it may introduce more difficulties than sticking with Sirius.

I guess my question is, will this option REALLY be better than sticking with Dark Matter on SXM for the next three years and then proposing a move to be an independent broadcaster and exploring the stream then? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me.

Every time I think I have it figured out someone posts something like this and throws me for a loop.

I think the situation is just FUBAR, at this point. Maybe the things art was told in "confidence" are the missing piece of the puzzle here. What they could be I have no idea. I may need to do some cat divination to find out. It usually works --- although, oftentimes the oracle is un-necessarily vague. We'll see. If I come to any answers, I'll be sure and let the board know.

Zack

Exactly!

Heather Wade

Quote from: jazmunda on November 07, 2013, 11:51:29 PM
Koalas

http://youtu.be/x8oLu7znwQ0

I know a vicious, bloodthirsty Drop Bear when I see one. 
Nice try, Jaz the Munda.   ;)

jazmunda

That's not what Art is proposing and I stand to be corrected if I am wrong,

It is my understanding that Sirius will broadcast Art as usual like they have been doing for the past 6 weeks. That is, Art will be transmitted to vehicles with Sat radios and to portable Sat radios as well as through the web app and smartphone app. On Demand will be available through these methods too as normal.

In addition Art will be providing a free stream during the LIVE hours of the show. You will not be able to pause or rewind the stream from artbell.com.

All the value added stuff (OnDemand, Live Pause, Rewind and Fast Forward) will be available exclusively to Sirius.

Textor

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 08, 2013, 12:05:45 AM
Every time I think I have it figured out someone posts something like this and throws me for a loop.

I think the situation is just FUBAR, at this point. Maybe the things art was told in "confidence" are the missing piece of the puzzle here. What they could be I have no idea. I may need to do some cat divination to find out. It usually works --- although, oftentimes the oracle is un-necessarily vague. We'll see. If I come to any answers, I'll be sure and let the board know.

From what I understand, he has offered to stream from his site while giving distribution EXCLUSIVELY to SiriusXM. If SiriusXM doesn't take this offer, than because of his non-compete clause, he will be off the air for 2 years unless somebody figures out a way to nullify the non-compete clause, which is unlikely.

Assuming SiriusXM takes the deal, then he'd still get ALL the listeners in cars, all the siriusxm streaming listeners, AND everyone who steams from his website, which can include an international audience. The end result of this would be that he would have a vastly increased caller base.

In the mean time, I must reiterate my desire that you, Tertiary, get Noory to invite you on to C2C as the Cat Magick Guy, as I'm sure all of us would love to hear that interview. Be careful, I hear Noory has some hard-hitting questions, and definitely won't let you get away with pushing your book (which you won't conveniently raise the price of to $39.95 before the show, of course).

Now excuse me, I must continue reading my new copy of the Cat Grimoire, and I believe I need to go buy some orange fabric...

jazmunda

The thing I find disheartening is that there is no open lines of communication going on meaning that there is no negotiating happening. It seems to be in the Sirius exec's hands so they are obviously holding all the cards and have all the power.

Art I really hope you have a few Aces up your sleeve because from where I'm standing (admittedly it is upside down from where you are) it doesn't look good.

Sending out my remaining positive vibes. I implore others to do the same. HHHHHHUUUUUUUUU!

samdean

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 07, 2013, 10:42:13 PM
I'm extremely fascinated now.

Ok --- calm down tertiary. Breathe. Ok.

Now, art has expressed that he does not believe Sirius is in breach of contract. If Sirius's contract with art bell is air tight in its non-compete shit, what does that mean for art? Like, theoretically, if he does decide to go at it on his own, what is the worst case scenario? And what is the most likely event to occur?

It doesn't require breach of contract to get out of a non-compete since most are invalid on their face.  I no longer practice law, so I can't give anyone official advice.. HOWEVER, I would certainly suggest that Art have a lawyer really look at the contract.

Here is the basic deal with non-competes.  To make a non-compete binding you need additional consideration BEYOND normal salary. (consideration is the subject of the contract, such as the money paid, service offered, etc.)  Further, it is usually for a narrow and for a specific purpose.  I dealt with this directly several times.  I worked on two "cases" where directors walked off projects and then accepted other projects, despite "non competes".  However, since when they walked off the film, they didn't take any additional compensation, the non competes were non enforceable.  I also did work for a special FX company who hired a high level employee from a different FX company.. that employee was under a STRICT non-compete.. the other company sued and lost, because they didn't have any evidence that the person was using specific trade secrets learned from company 1.  (Obviously I cannot name names).

With that said, the law is slightly different in each state.  But, in general, unless you receive SPECIFIC compensation for the non compete clause, it is not valid.  When Art left premiere, I supposed they gave him a payout and he agreed to a non-compete.  THAT is a valid non-compete.  He received cash in return for the non-compete.  Same thing is with many company purchases.. you get X number of stocks, so long as you agree to a non-compete.

However, here, unless Art took a payout from Sirius, I don't see how a non-compete would be valid.

Again, obviously, he would have to consult his own lawyer and have them look up the specific laws in the venue where the contract is set, but I would be shocked if it would stick.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: jazmunda on November 08, 2013, 12:07:36 AM
All the value added stuff (OnDemand, Live Pause, Rewind and Fast Forward) will be available exclusively to Sirius.

Hey Jazmunda,

Every time I've met an Australian person in my life I've done my best to stereo-type them right away, and then insist on keeping them hemmed in my stereo-type for the duration of the conversation. I'll insist they recite lines from Crocodile Dundee, for example, or I'll query them about vegemite, Steve Irwin, Men At Work, the Cure, the penchant dingos have for eating babies, and, of course, koala bears will be involved also. "When are you fellas going to take Mel Gibson back?" I'll say, then pat them on the shoulder in an endearing way. Then I'll insist they drink a Foster's with me and I'll get very agitated if they refuse.

I think my favorite Australian is Richard Dawkins. Him and probably Mr. Bean. I've learned a lot from those two blimey blokes! They shivered me timbers, for sure!

Anyway Jaz, it's nice to have some international presence on this board.

[attachimg=1]

Falkie2013

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 07, 2013, 08:46:32 PM

I'm happy for you falkie.

Thanks but right now I think I'm waaay too stressed out and am quietly losing what little mind I may have left, or at least for today.

Somehow an email from Sirius sent me to their home page and instead of Dark Matter, I got to see Lady Gaga or as we call her, Lady Goo-Goo.
Bleah.
I got so depressed over all this and frazzled ( not being able to see  well is driving me buggy and I can't think ) that I went to the bank and saw I had $103 in one of my accounts and said " Hmm, I wonder why I have ALL that money. "
So I went to Lucky because they had a spend $25 and buy one turkey and get one free. (Gave one for my gf's girlfriend to cook so they could split it between them. ) Bought stuff for $ 72 and when I went to the kitchen I realized I had no carrots and celery for the turkey and realized WHY I had all that money in that account. I had just given a check for our car insurance and it totally slipped my mind.
So now I have to take money from one account, et all.
Thank Ghu I bought a big holiday bottle of egg nog with booze in it. I think I need a couple of shots.
Please, Art. Come back before they send me to the Bellgab Home for the Incurably Vague and force me to listen to Lady Goo-Goo and Miley Cry-us.
As soon as they figure out why we're all so vague.
AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHH !!! ...

Anywho, before I get plastered here's my first attempt at using the video camera. This model of Sony is NOT supported for the Imac but luckily I have a player that gets around having only Windows support.

The Guy From Pittsburgh ( tm ) Shows The Aftermath of a former bar fire in Martinez, Ca. !!! ...

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Falkie2013 on November 08, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
Somehow an email from Sirius sent me to their home page and instead of Dark Matter, I got to see Lady Gaga or as we call her, Lady Goo-Goo.
Bleah.
I got so depressed over all this and frazzled ( not being able to see  well is driving me buggy and I can't think ) that I went to the bank and saw I had $103 in one of my accounts and said " Hmm, I wonder why I have ALL that money. "
So I went to Lucky because they had a spend $25 and buy one turkey and get one free. (Gave one for my gf's girlfriend to cook so they could split it between them. ) Bought stuff for $ 72 and when I went to the kitchen I realized I had no carrots and celery for the turkey and realized WHY I had all that money in that account. I had just given a check for our car insurance and it totally slipped my mind.
So now I have to take money from one account, et all.
Thank Ghu I bought a big holiday bottle of egg nog with booze in it. I think I need a couple of shots.
Please, Art. Come back before they send me to the Bellgab Home for the Incurably Vague and force me to listen to Lady Goo-Goo and Miley Cry-us.
As soon as they figure out why we're all so vague.
AAAAAUUUUGGGHHHH !!! ...

Anywho, before I get plastered here's my first attempt at using the video camera. This model of Sony is NOT supported for the Imac but luckily I have a player that gets around having only Windows support.

The Guy From Pittsburgh ( tm ) Shows The Aftermath of a former bar fire in Martinez, Ca. !!! ...

Hahaa, I remember my own drinking days. Have fun with that shit.

Your girlfriend's girlfriend huh? Damn Falkie.

This reminded me of something:

Type O Negative - My Girlfriend's Girlfriend [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

zeebo

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 08, 2013, 12:07:28 AM

I cannot explain why these are so friggin funny to me, and yet, they are.  I've started collecting them.

Quote from: zeebo on November 08, 2013, 12:23:50 AM
I cannot explain why these are so friggin funny to me, and yet, they are.  I've started collecting them.

Just more ammunition for when Coz returns.  ;)

Nighthawk

There's a show on HBO right now starring the town of Parump. it's called Heidi Fleiss. About a woman who opens up the first brothel for women. It is showing a lot of Parump scenery. Pretty weird it just came on TV here unintentionally while I am reading and hoping for Art's return!

zeebo

Quote from: Ravenna on November 07, 2013, 10:22:06 PM
OMG,... you stalled out midway through 'A Storm of Swords'?  That's the best book of the series!  Try it again, and just let yourself drift along as GRRM wishes to take you, and you will be well rewarded for your patient efforts.  The conclusion of 'A Storm of Swords' is one of the best endings of a book I've read *ever* (and, being an English Major, I've read a *lot* of books).

Cool yeah SixWeek already inspired me with similar enthusiasm to give it another go and pointed me towards a cool site that can help me navigate all the family trees.  It wasn't that I wasn't enjoying it, I just kinda felt like I had to protest when he added that other whole group of royals into a story overloaded with characters, but I'm agonna let that go and start reading it again.   

Uncle Duke

This is still being discussed?  Art Bell clearly pulled a "no mas, no mas" deal after realizing he wasn't getting the size audience he wanted, this despite having signed a contact detailing what he was getting into. Why is this still a topic, given the flakey nature of Bell?

Make Bell a secondary topic along the lines of former C2C hosts like Mike Seigel, Ian Punnet, and Hilly Rose who are no longer broadcasting nationally.

zeebo

Quote from: SixWeekTenure on November 08, 2013, 12:29:27 AM

Just more ammunition for when Coz returns.  ;)

Haha, yes, I'm gonna get the whole set!

DarkScammer

1. SiriusXM is a subscription-based service, the main selling point being exclusive programming

2. Art Bell is something of a talk radio legend

3. Having exclusivity of a talk radio legend is a great way to drive subscriptions

Stating the obvious (obviously), but come on. There is no logic to any of this. Turning your exclusive satellite radio show into a free broadcast does nothing for SiriusXM, and therefore this is a battle you simply cannot win.

Art, I respect that you're a proud guy who likes to get what he wants, but let this be the one time in your life where you swallow your pride and accept your lot. Go back on the air, rebuild your audience naturally, and get this whole thing over with. The alternative is being off the air for another two years, which wouldn't be good for anybody, least of all the many, many legions of fans who have already waited years to hear from you again.

Please, just do what you signed up for and get this show running again.