• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Producer-Paul

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 07, 2013, 12:42:09 PM
Can anyone summarize the "huuuuuuu" thing for me? I saw it in the corner but I don't know where it came from.

The Wednesday, Oct, 30th program.
Nicole and Michael Sebastian, M.A., ABD - re Night Terrors and Dream Intrusions. 

dortmunder

Quote from: Whitley Victor on November 07, 2013, 02:41:24 PM
Art is full of shit. If he is to be believed his show sucked because the fans who called in sucked. After only 15 shows he didn't have a million listeners to solicit more entertaining calls from so instead of forging ahead he blames a pay wall and a dumb audience for not granting him instant success! Then we are supposed to believe he sacrificed it all for the benefit of the aforementioned dumb and uninteresting fans? He wanted to give his show away free in hopes of attracting better listeners because we suck! MY HERO! 

I'm willing to bet 50% of his past listeners never even knew he had a new show! Not everyone is obsessed with him and his return to radio as I and many of you are/were. If he would have just got on with it who knows? Sep 1 2014 could have seen the highest ratings ever for a Sirius show! How cool would that be? Art dethroning Mr Stern!

The real reason for his departure is sad ratings. 30 days after the show aired he got a good look at how may people tuned in and it was much lower than he expected. Now there has to be a reason for this right? (Enter blame game/Streaming/Pay$Wall/Truckers/Listeners in cars)<- None of that makes sense.
Sad ratings offers little incentive for guests looking to promote their work! Toss in a potential of pissing off the ratings behemoth that is the other show and it becomes a little harder to entice good guests who may or may not be treated so nice by our favorite host. Lets face it Art started the pissing contest and lost. Didn't       

Is that you, John Hogue? Is this me?

Quote from: Chine on November 07, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
They couldn't afford to keep up costs for that quality of production design. I took on camera workshops in LA with Diane Salinger, who was Appolonia (the psychic mother).

you mean Simone from Pee Wee's Big Adventure?!

Pee Wee's Big Adventure Let's talk about your big but

Quote from: Chine on November 07, 2013, 02:40:31 PM
They couldn't afford to keep up costs for that quality of production design. I took on camera workshops in LA with Diane Salinger, who was Appolonia (the psychic mother).

Such a shame, I read they had a budget of 4 million an episode.  AFAIK Game of Thrones has a budget of 5 million per episode.

widespread1

Quote from: Totino on November 07, 2013, 02:38:06 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I should say "howdy" before I start commenting on anything.
Welcome totino

Chine

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 07, 2013, 02:44:31 PM
you mean Simone from Pee Wee's Big Adventure?!

Pee Wee's Big Adventure Let's talk about your big but

Yep. She's been in many films. Kept in touch long after when we moved to Vegas.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Whitley Victor on November 07, 2013, 02:41:24 PM
The real reason for his departure is sad ratings. 30 days after the show aired he got a good look at how may people tuned in and it was much lower than he expected.

you do not know this to be fact.  you're presenting speculation and trying to spin it as common knowledge.  you say it with such certainty, too.

opie and anthony are also on siriusxm.  they say the company will give them ZERO information about the number of people who listen to their show.  i see no reason to believe art is any different.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: lonevoice on November 07, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
As usual, I'm rushing to catch up here.  I'm still back on page 163 today!  Just ran across your post and wanted to reassure you that anyone with two IQ points to rub together realized that you were being humorous.  You've nothing to apologize for, defend or explain.  It's been fun reading.

Thanks for the kind words, Lonevoice.

Surmo

Hey, does anyone know the Sirius number to cancel my subscription?  Now
seems a good time.  I looked a bit and could not find it, and it is hard to sort
out through these humungous backlock of pages I have yet to read.

dan7800

Quote from: MV on November 07, 2013, 02:47:37 PM
you do not know this to be fact.  you're presenting speculation and trying to spin it as common knowledge.  you say it with such certainty, too.

opie and anthony are also on siriusxm.  they say the company will give them ZERO information about the number of people who listen to their show.  i see no reason to believe art is any different.

MV: Relistening to your gabcast now. You guys really do a great job with things.

SciFiAuthor

I wonder how much they know. They obviously know the streaming numbers, but I wonder what kind of stats they can get for those car radios.

Quote from: Chine on November 07, 2013, 02:47:28 PM
Yep. She's been in many films. Kept in touch long after when we moved to Vegas.

Yeah, she's got chops, even in something silly like Pee Wee.

She was spooky on Carnivale.

Why would Art say his base wasn't there?  Is he gauging that from the caller pool?

Catsmile

Quote from: samysam1313 on November 07, 2013, 10:17:33 AM
I totally agree with you. Some of the people here who are hashing Art are stupid enough to cut their own throats and taking the rest of us along with them. We want Art back and maligning him is sure not the way to do that. We should all be encouraging Art and not hacking him to bits. I understand people being upset about the situation. I am one of them, but I sure as heck would not say those things said here to anyone, let alone the man we want back on the air. I keep hearing how after 2012 we are supposed to be evolving into a more enlightened state. I sure haven't seen any proof of that. Actually the opposite seems to be the case. Wake up people and grow up.

Welcome, to the madhouse post often.

Mom, you really need to put the keyboard down now and go bake some cookies, and feed all your cats.  ;D

Hey if that's how your feel more power to you sister, but don't HARSH other peoples ideas/feelings even if you think they are wrong/assholes.

Art's a big boy, he shit his bed let him clean it up. Me going HUUU, and sending kitten pics and good vibes through my crystals ain't gonna fix HIS mess. That's between him and his employer Siriusxm.

P.S. We have been harshing Dave sNoory for years here, yet he still goes on... and on... and on. Go figure, crappy crystals don't work for shit... and I paid the ghostbuster gals big money for them too.  >:(

http://youtu.be/YlhPRuAve8k

dan7800

Quote from: Surmo on November 07, 2013, 02:48:48 PM
seems a good time.  I looked a bit and could not find it, and it is hard to sort

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sirius+cancel

Chine

Quote from: Producer-Paul on November 07, 2013, 02:43:14 PM
The Wednesday, Oct, 30th program.
Nicole and Michael Sebastian, M.A., ABD - re Night Terrors and Dream Intrusions.

Hey, Paul. How's it going today?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: dan7800 on November 07, 2013, 02:49:28 PM
MV: Relistening to your gabcast now. You guys really do a great job with things.

thank you, sir.

Nighthawk

So the test stream is 32 Kbps. So this all will work great. Listen for free on Art's site and get a slighter lower quality stream. Or buy a radio or listen on the sketchy sirius XM player that has 64 Kbps. Or use the sketchy player to do on demand, replays etc.

jazmunda

Quote from: Surmo on November 07, 2013, 02:48:48 PM

Are you the type of guy that has bad luck? Like say you just cancelled your subscription because your favorite broadcaster left and then five minutes after you cancelled he comes back? Then by all means here is the number: 1-866-635-2349

widespread1

Quote from: Totino on November 07, 2013, 02:38:06 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I figured I should say "howdy" before I start commenting on anything.
Yes post often, but whatever you do...
Do not try to turn the insane people sane or meet the unreasonable with reason. Try to voice your opinion with as much hate as possible.  :P
Oh yes and dont challenge any I.T. guys lest you want to be deemed less intelligent and not worthy of reading an I.T. man's post.  Haha.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 07, 2013, 02:50:24 PM
Why would Art say his base wasn't there?  Is he gauging that from the caller pool?

i don't know why he would say that, but speculation is speculation.

Surmo

Thanks dan7800!  Here goes sumpin!  Or however Snoory says it.

Chine

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 07, 2013, 02:50:03 PM
Yeah, she's got chops, even in something silly like Pee Wee.

She was spooky on Carnivale.

Check your pms. Oh and the opening sequence of Carnivale...Stellar. The music, too. I had to buy the soundtrack. A favorite up there with Twin Peaks.

Ravenna

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 07, 2013, 02:50:24 PM

I'm confused about that, too.  All I can think of is that many of his base, like me, were not listening live.  I mostly listened On Demand:  just more convenient for me.  I wonder if Sirius keeps track of the number of people who listen to the show On Demand or not:  if they do not, that could skew the "numbers" falsely much, much lower.

Nighthawk

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 07, 2013, 02:49:47 PM
I wonder how much they know. They obviously know the streaming numbers, but I wonder what kind of stats they can get for those car radios.

Your correct. Nada from the actual radios.

Art's still online. he is probably typing a long message..... not good

a short response would have been more likely to say see you on the air tonight or monday or something.

A long response is bad.

subvortex

There is no transmitter on a sirius/xm radio.  I don't see how they can tell how many people are tuned in to any one station.  Streaming is another matter.  But on a receiver.  No.