• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Nighthawk

Thanks for posting here Art. Hopefully if you post it will calm some of these people down. As you can tell after 80 pages here in a short number of hours you are dearly loved by many Art. These people are very upset about losing you and demonstrating it in different ways.

Quote from: BattyBrooke on November 05, 2013, 04:24:57 PM
Christ in a handbag, people. Could you be human for a moment and try to see his side and STOP cutting him up? He is not an Immortal All Knowing All Powerful Being. He is a real person, with real feelings and he IS trying his BEST and he DOES care, for fucksake! Just because you are a "fan" doesn't give you license to destroy somebody like this. Who *raised* some of you people?!?! My God.
Ever been over to the George Noory Sucks thread? 

Art can prove he cares very easily.  He can be on the air tonight, on Sirius, admit he was wrong, and get on with being an excellent broadcaster again.  A really simple solution to a problem that he created.

That would be trying his best.

midnight

This board was really rude to and about the guests.  I wanted to say, hey people, don't you know that Art and probably his guests are reading this???? Come on, criticism is one thing, it's a good thing, that is needed for any show.   But the very vulger, personal and really awful comments made about the guests were bad, and not conducive to good karma for the show.  Who would want for the biggest Art Bell forum on the web to be filled with so much vulgarity about the guests who are on the show that we all claim to love.   This is just my own personal opinion.

Zoxo

Art, the base isn't gone!!! We are listening!  Open lines are still very hard to get through, as they always have been.  Do you have the "millions" that you had prior? No, of course not... but you knew that going in!  You need to give it time. If at first you don't succeed, try try again!  Come on Art... Please don't just quit on us!

BillW50

Quote from: dan7800 on November 05, 2013, 04:29:09 PM
I am only 31 and I am already thinking about what a mans legacy is. Art, your legacy right now is a quitter. Get back on the air, work your butt off (doing classic Art) and you will start to gain your base back. If you leave for any amount of time, your core base will only erode. You have two choices

A) Do nothing and be labeled a quitter.
B) Call Sirius, say you are sorry and do a show tonight. Build your reputation back up. Do the show for a few years and ride off into the sunset with honor.

I have a PhD in Computer Science and teach at a major US university. Fixing streaming issues IS HARD. There are a million things that can and will go wrong. Either on the server or client end (or somewhere in between). Most people say things were ok.

Your shows got me through my dissertation and many late nights. I don't want to remember you like this.

Gawd! Somebody with some sense for a change. Kudos dan7800!

Jackstar

Quote from: shell88 on November 05, 2013, 04:27:57 PM
Yes, and I must say most of humanity is that way, albeit famous personalities make a better show of leaving or justifying whatever it is they are up too.

How does one reply to an obviously insincere post with a "yes," and then immediately segue into referring directly to "humanity" as an object noun?

Like, seriously, I am just curious.

But like, seriously.

also, like, "too" and "to" is a big non-native-speaker alert, something to look out for, I do not think it is happening here, but I am just, you know, just like, saying it, but not saying it, just posting it.

Fnord.

jblank

Quote from: Jackstar on November 05, 2013, 04:08:13 PM
Why? Is Keith Art's lawyer? No, he is not. You're an idiot.
I already did, and the reason why I was asking you (and your ilk) for links was to illuminate the fact that none of you know what the fuck any of you are talking about.

Point made.
You're a complete idiot. Why wouldn't it be equally truthful to say that Keith is Art's disinformation agent?
Well, really, demonstrably... you could post less, at any rate, if you cared less
You have an astonishingly narrow perception of what "doing everything (I) can" might be. I am just saying. I hope you have grander hopes for your children's potential, if anyone has indeed been so fortunate as to have become a recipient of your gametes.

Oh, I can just imagine the joy.
Need is an illusion. I would go so far as to suggest as that your own exaggerated sense of self-importance is an illusion, as well.
1) I have way better things to do with my time, but in spite of how often Art Bell has called it quits... this is still a unique moment in history, so I think I'll continue to pay attention to current events, if you don't mind, thanks.

I'm not sure why a) I give a shit what you think, or b) how anyone would be benefited if I were to be taking your advice, but that's okay, thanks anyway.

2) I forgot what point two was, because: you're an idiot.
ba... baba... booey? Durkha durkha durkha jihad. Also, fuck your mother. I hope I have not failed your I.Q. test, I would be so distraught.
Without context, your statement reads like a manifesto. Are you aware of that? I am just saying. P.S.: job openings in TSA.

You're such a douche. I sincerely hope  you get chronic hemhorroids for the remainder of your days. Btw asshole Art confirmed the non-compete.......point made.

Krazykatlady

Part of the reason for the last straw was
a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse. I depend on and always have
open line talk radio, some of the best shows I ever did came from all of you NOT regular Guests. I have always loved the truckers but that
just that was not going to be viable, it would not carry the show. If you listened closely I think you know I am right.

Art
[/quote]

Jeez, Art!!!  Come on, you based your decision to quit on the opinion of ONE person???  Why would you even consider that as valid feedback?  Thousands maybe, but ONE single listener?  Where's your thick skin?  OMG!!!!!!! :o :o :o

RobertC

Quote from: The General on November 05, 2013, 03:43:43 PM
This move alienates your base WAY MORE than a few streaming hiccups dude.

Art, I am a long time lurker and have been listening to you since 1994. I even remember the night I discovered you. It was a Friday and I was driving home from USMCR drill when I came across this crazy show talking about the Mark of the Beast and our currency. I stayed up into the wee hours that night, and if it wasn't for a lot of coffee, I would have never survived the next day at training. :) By this point, I was hooked and became a regular listener to both Coast to Coast and Dreamland. I continued to listen up until your departure from Coast.

This also confirmed to me that I really enjoyed radio much more than television. When XM came on the scene with Satellite radio, I jumped in early, but lost interest after a couple of years because most of the programming I enjoyed was over the air and free. Then I heard about you coming back to Sirius/XM, and with that, I promptly ordered a Sirius/XM radio (the one that plays the internet stream via the internet) and reactivated my account. I have immensely enjoyed the past six weeks and hope that there is some way that this current situation can be salvaged, but I admit, I'm pissed. I'm pissed because I spent over a hundred dollars that I could have used elsewhere to purchase the radio, and reactivate my subscription for a quarter. Yes, I could have listened on my computer, but something about having Art Bell's voice coming from a 'radio', just seemed right to me, and by signing for three months, I was looking hopefully to a long "over the air" (so to speak) relationship with my favorite radio talk show host. Now I am pissed and disappointed that I put my faith in someone/something that has let me down. Most of us get enough let-downs from every day life, and listening to an old friend late at night was a welcome diversion from the drama and shit that life throws at you.

Art, you've been off the air for a long time now and building up your base, particularly on a subscription-based service like Sirius/XM takes time. While I am sure that there are a number of folks that signed up for the 30 day trial to check you out, many of those are people who have heard of you, but maybe have not been listening or following you for lack of familiarity. Those you have to win over with both the content of the show and the service. They are also the one's most likely to cancel anyway. On the other hand, those of us that have been around for a long time and do make up your "base", we are not going to cancel the service just for a few internet hiccups that is found on nearly every streaming website on the internet. We would stay and wait until the bugs are ironed out, just to show our support for you. We know the bugs will get worked out and we are the ones that would be around for the long-haul... but we need for you to have that same level of commitment. The internet streaming issues would have gotten solved, the show would grow, and best of all, you would be building new base of fans.

Oh and my experience with the streaming has been excellent. As I mentioned, the radio I bought streams the same internet stream that everyone listens to on their computer. I have had very few interruptions and when I did, powering down the radio and "rebooting" it, took care of the problem.

Anyway Art, if you are reading this, please know that I still wish the best for you and hope that someday we will find your voice live again on the radio. If you happen to get things straight with Sirius/XM, I will be back to listening again. Yes, I'll still be butthurt for a while, but I'll get over it. After all, that's what friends do for friends.

Spinner

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 04:07:17 PM
<. . .snip. . .>

Maybe my heart was in it to much and I wanted it to be right. If we had done streaming until the problem was fixed
everything would have been fine. I am convinced that virtually nobody would have cancelled their vehical account
simply because we did what the Pirates were doing and streamed a legit make up WITH Sirius commercials only
until the problem was fixed for four hours on four days a Week. I think in the long run it would have increased their base.
Art, How about scaling down the free-streaming proposal?  It doesn't have to be a year. Maybe you and Sirius can compromise on say, three or four months?

QuoteAll this said I am still open to going right back on if they will allow some make up for those who left because of the streaming
issues but this means until it is fixed.
Please work it out with Sirius. The sooner the better. This CAN BE FIXED.

QuoteYes I have a NC, so either we make up or I have to stay off. It was a two Year contract and 75k was my big money. Trust me this was for love,
not money. I was only contracted for 3 Hours, I did 4 because I love it, not because I had to.
                                                                                                                                    Art

If you love it so much, I hope that you can find a way to continue. We all make mistakes, and act hastily sometimes.
Art, Please don't throw it all away!

BattyBrooke

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 05, 2013, 04:29:45 PM
Right, Art doesn't have anywhere near Howard's audience.

I am certain Art's numbers before his retirement from Coast DWARFED Howard's numbers. But, I can tell by your sick, disrespectful and blasphemous handle here, you are more of a Howard Stern mentality/guy than an Art mentality/guy so...

P.S. Where the fuck did you even come from?

alltherage

It seems to me the real villain here is Sirius. The drops were probably by design (to save that corporate money), and Sirius seems to have no interest in "fixing" it. Art was trying to do something good for his listeners by standing up for us. He played poker, and Sirius called him. I'm sure Art would admit that some things could have been done or said differently, but it is what it is. The real culprit is Sirius and their greedy ways. So instead of bitching and moaning, and saying terrible things to Art in the depths of our frustration, how about we campaign Howard Stern to help us, and Art. He has much more pull with Sirius, and doesn't mind being vocal. We should all write and call Stern, and plead with him to talk to the "higher-ups" at SXM. It couldn't hurt. I understand why you did what you did, Art, and although I'm as butt-hurt as the rest, I support you and hope your real fans will mobilize, put pressure on Sirius, and do something other than bitch and throw around negativity. Love you, Art!

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: BattyBrooke on November 05, 2013, 04:30:18 PM
Lastly, these hateful posts are highly contradictory, you do know that, right? I mean, you are a fan of Art's because you love his show ...And now you hate him because he went off the air...And you didnt want that, because you're a fan..And you want to listen to his show....because you hate him...because he left...because you want him back...but you hate him. See the logic, or lack thereof? What in thee fuck? Half of you telling him to "man-up" etc are the biggest babies of them all.

I think some people express their grief in different ways, not always the best ways.  I think you nailed it, that we all just want him back on the air.  Seems like we're powerless to change his mind though.

McPhallus

I think what you're saying is that the opposite of love isn't hate; it's indifference.  If you hate, then you care.

Lastly, these hateful posts are highly contradictory, you do know that, right? I mean, you are a fan of Art's because you love his show ...And now you hate him because he went off the air...And you didnt want that, because you're a fan..And you want to listen to his show....because you hate him...because he left...because you want him back...but you hate him. See the logic, or lack thereof? What in thee fuck? Half of you telling him to "man-up" etc are the biggest babies of them all.

It's perfectly logical that fans of Art Bell would feel betrayed by the man, well, betraying them. To view it as anything else requires high-level cognitive gymnastics.

Nonsense.  You don't string an audience along, throw stones at competitors, come back, get everyone to SUPPORT your effort, invest emotionally and financially, and then fucking quit, and blame callers, the audience, and technology.

All the anger here is completely legitimate.  Our radio hero, is a giant fucking baby who is unwilling to work his way up again, and build something special.

Art should have at least tried negotating with Sirus. Like I dont know ask to work 1 year and run a dreamland style show. After that Sirius could agree to let him out of his non compete.

dan7800

Quote from: RobertC on November 05, 2013, 04:32:32 PM
Art, I am a long time lurker and have been listening to you since 1994. I even remember the night I discovered you. It was a Friday and I was driving home from USMCR drill when I came across this crazy show talking about the Mark of the Beast and our currency

Thank you for your service sir.

awguy

Art, please come back and do a guest heavy 3 hour show. We'd be happy with that!

Quote from: BattyBrooke on November 05, 2013, 04:33:08 PM
I am certain Art's numbers before his retirement from Coast DWARFED Howard's numbers. But, I can tell by your sick, disrespectful and blasphemous handle here, you are more of a Howard Stern mentality/guy than an Art mentality/guy so...

P.S. Where the fuck did you even come from?

I'm a lifelong Art fan, since I was a kid, and don't listen to Howard at all.  Howard grosses me out entirely.  Which shows how shit your perception and read of things is.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 04:07:17 PM
If I wanted to Retire I would have stayed Retired. I very much wanted to do the show or I simply would not
have started. I wanted to do the kind of show that you all wanted but with the base gone it really was impossible.
I love doing Radio, I really love it, but it has to be right. I had no way of knowing about the streaming problems
before starting, I do now see that there had been others:
http://siriusbuzz.com/art-bell-leaves-siriusxm.php

Maybe my heart was in it to much and I wanted it to be right. If we had done streaming until the problem was fixed
everything would have been fine. I am convinced that virtually nobody would have cancelled their vehical account
simply because we did what the Pirates were doing and streamed a legit make up WITH Sirius commercials only
until the problem was fixed for four hours on four days a Week. I think in the long run it would have increased their base.

All this said I am still open to going right back on if they will allow some make up for those who left because of the streaming
issues but this means until it is fixed.

Yes I have a NC, so either we make up or I have to stay off. It was a two Year contract and 75k was my big money. Trust me this was for love,
not money. I was only contracted for 3 Hours, I did 4 because I love it, not because I had to. Part of the reason for the last straw was
a post on here saying that Spooky matter was the weakest ever, it was and would have gotten worse. I depend on and always have
open line talk radio, some of the best shows I ever did came from all of you NOT regular Guests. I have always loved the truckers but that
just that was not going to be viable, it would not carry the show. If you listened closely I think you know I am right.

Art

Hey Art - Dark Matter was "right" despite growing pains.  Thinking back to your C2C days there was always something going on that made the show "imperfect" but the best thing on radio at the same time.  Don't worry about perfection or temporary intransigence from management.  The little imperfections here and there are what makes your show one of a kind.  We'll work with you to make it better - I'll bet SiriusXM will too...  Just do what you do best.

dan7800

Quote from: BillW50 on November 05, 2013, 04:31:35 PM
Gawd! Somebody with some sense for a change. Kudos dan7800!

Thank you.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: midnight on November 05, 2013, 04:31:24 PM
This board was really rude to and about the guests.  I wanted to say, hey people, don't you know that Art and probably his guests are reading this???? Come on, criticism is one thing, it's a good thing, that is needed for any show.   But the very vulger, personal and really awful comments made about the guests were bad, and not conducive to good karma for the show.  Who would want for the biggest Art Bell forum on the web to be filled with so much vulgarity about the guests who are on the show that we all claim to love.   This is just my own personal opinion.

I too was shocked and dismayed by the constant hate shantily disgusied as criticism spewed here night after night, by the same people who begged for Art's return on here for years! Some people are never happy, and many of them live here. Very disheartening.

Quote from: alltherage on November 05, 2013, 04:33:18 PM
It seems to me the real villain here is Sirius. The drops were probably by design (to save that corporate money), and Sirius seems to have no interest in "fixing" it. Art was trying to do something good for his listeners by standing up for us. He played poker, and Sirius called him. I'm sure Art would admit that some things could have been done or said differently, but it is what it is. The real culprit is Sirius and their greedy ways. So instead of bitching and moaning, and saying terrible things to Art in the depths of our frustration, how about we campaign Howard Stern to help us, and Art. He has much more pull with Sirius, and doesn't mind being vocal. We should all write and call Stern, and plead with him to talk to the "higher-ups" at SXM. It couldn't hurt. I understand why you did what you did, Art, and although I'm as butt-hurt as the rest, I support you and hope your real fans will mobilize, put pressure on Sirius, and do something other than bitch and throw around negativity. Love you, Art!

Wow. You don't actually believe this, do you? What motivation would SiriusXM have to torpedo a show that they promoted like crazy? Amazing.

Jackstar

Quote from: jblank on November 05, 2013, 04:31:39 PM
You're such a douche.

Nothing screams, "my opinion is credible!" like the faint whiff of misogyny.

Quote from: Jackstar on November 05, 2013, 04:31:37 PM
But like, seriously. Time travelers, take note: timestamps are important.

also, like, "too" and "to" is a big non-native-speaker alert, something to look out for, I do not think it is happening here, but I am just, you know, just like, saying it, but not saying it, just posting it.

Hello, ladies. I'm not a doctor. I am a star.

PDXBellfan

To quit over Spooky Matter/Ghost to Ghost is just truly depressing.

I have NEVER liked the ghost to ghost shows. It's so boring. "And then I was walking down the hall and I felt a chill run through my body and something grabbed my leg and it was sooooooo scary." At least half of the calls are total BS anyway. Fabricated to get on the air.

Talk to Graham Hancock. Talk to Michio Kaku. Talk to Richard C. for all I care. I listen to Art for his interesting guests. I thought that show with the CIA guy was truly fascinating. Art is putting way too much weight behind the callers. I usually stop listening when he gets to the callers.

DanTSX

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on November 05, 2013, 04:31:15 PM
Ever been over to the George Noory Sucks thread? 

Art can prove he cares very easily.  He can be on the air tonight, on Sirius, admit he was wrong, and get on with being an excellent broadcaster again.  A really simple solution to a problem that he created.

That would be trying his best.

No Apologies needed.  Not to us anyways.  Not if he just gets on the air and does his job.

He probably should apologize to SiriusXM regardless if he goes back.

HumanBeing

Quote from: midnight on November 05, 2013, 04:21:19 PM
"Part of the reason for the last straw was
open line talk radio, some of the best shows I ever did came from all of you NOT regular Guests."

If that is really the reason, then please listen.  Don't listen to one or two or a hundred posters.  Listen to MOST of us.  Spooky matter was FINE.  I'm not sure if you remember or not, but MOST open lines have lousy callers.  The really good ones are few and far between, but when they show up, it's like fishing--you catch the big one.  But in between those big catches it takes a lot of patience and sitting and just relaxing and enjoying the scenery.  And you have lots of scenery to enjoy--you have lots and lots of fans. 

And believe it or not,  I do not even care if you take callers or not.  I like to listen to you and the guest. Even if it's a lousy guest, (which i thought was rare) the way you handle it is what I like.  And I think I speak for others too.

Yes, I was dropped several times from the show.  "Oh, darn" was the worst I said about it.  The longest time was once for 10 to 15 minutes.  I went to the bathroom and got something to eat, and when I came back it was on again.  Certainly I was not upset.  And that only happened one time.

Think again, please, we want you back.

You sound very sweet and sincere without a doubt  :)
But it is so disappointing to know Art does not give a shit about me.. or you  >:(

BattyBrooke

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 05, 2013, 04:37:02 PM
I'm a lifelong Art fan, since I was a kid, and don't listen to Howard at all.  Howard grosses me out entirely.  Which shows how shit your perception and read of things is.

You are mocking one of Art's close friends and most loved guests, who also happens to be deceased, Father Malachi Martin. So, surely my perception is spot on.

Art Bell

Ok I am going to leave for now. I wanted to come on to at least try and explain what I could, there
is much I am unable to say because it was said to me in confidence and I must respect that.

Perhaps there is a point where Sirius and I can work things out, as I have said I am open to that
but people are angry and I understand that. Again I am sorry. Feel free to continue to slice and dice.

Art