• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

MarkP

Quote from: EarthAlien007
Where do we go from here?
I'm sure your phone is ringing. There's always the online option.
I'm looking forward to your next show.

It's 2013... a non-complete probably would cover internet radio, podcasting, and most other mediums.  Just a guess.

Art Bell

What many of you who were not involved behind the scenes do not understand is that all that was
done day after day without result. There wee many meetings and a lot of talking but in the end it was
still not resolved. I know it seemed all at once to you but trust me it was not.

Art

shell88

How about some patience Art?  Surely you must have expected it would take more than 6 weeks to rebuild and bring back your fan base???  Even as the show was, it was great listening. It doesn't all have to be about the callers.

dortmunder

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 03:10:18 PM
Hi there, I am now on the site, I tried Yesterday but it would not take my PW, I tried to change it because I thought I might
not have remembered it correctly. Today it is taking my original PW just fine.

If it will help, I am sorry. I know many of you are angry in your usual style which I expected but there is nothing new I can say
that will make any of you feel any better. It is as I have said, I had hundreds of emails from people who tried the 30 day free
trial and were getting dropped left and right, Sirius was aware of the problem.(many of you know because you tried to
help with the error reporting)  I am sure some dropped because they did not like my show or just did not have the money, but
by far most dropped because of the drops. This was a problem that we talked to them virtually every day about and learned that
it would be a long term fix.

As I mentioned in my emails Yesterday the net effect was that my base was gone, those of you who listened to the show must
have noticed, I sure did, so I asked Sirius for a Year of free streaming or until they could fix the problem, they did offer a second
free 30 day trial but what point is there in that if people would have the same experience? Anything beyond that, they were unwilling
to do. It just did not make any sense to me that pirates were posting programs the next day and live streams were popping up all
over the place that did not even carry our commercials without anybody doing anything about it, just crazy. Why not stream until
the problem was fixed with our commercials? It was a widespread problem including here on Bell Gab, right? My thinking was and
still is that it would have drawn many more into the program, eventually becomming full subs.

I am still open to patching this up, but not without some tip of the hat to those that left because of the streaming problem, we even offered
to pay for the streaming ourselves until it could be fixed. Anyway I am here so feel free to continue to cut me up and you can be
sure I am absorbing your anger.

Art

Again I am truly sorry to those who got caught in this and lost any money because you bought a radio or tried the NET.

I think maybe, Art, the anger has much to do with the way you left, so abruptly, and cryptically, as is your tendency. With no real explanation forthcoming other than the thin poker metaphor. I can only speak for myself when I say that I did not expect the show to take off like a rocket in the beginning. Yes, many old timers followed you, myself included. But you yourself have mentioned on the air that Sirius is a new venue that brings with it a whole new audience of people who may never have heard of Art Bell. It sounded to me as though you were willing to put in the time to grow and build this new audience. We're your old fan base, true, but I think most of us would agree that it will take time to bring in younger audience members. As it is, though, it looks like you have little patience for that.

As for issues with Sirius dropping, well, I think I may have had that issue only once, and I listened on my iPhone app. The only real problem I ever had were the 90-minute timeouts. I just feel that it was a very heavy-handed response on your part to just throw in the towel like that. Many of us have waited for years for your return, and this is kind of like someone taking back their Christmas present. Was it really necessary to be that drastic?

And as far as callers are concerned, Art, I could listen to you interview a bucket of paint for four hours and not mind. That same sentiment has been repeated here many times by others. The callers are not that important. We were just happy to have you back, and if you had done a no-caller show and just done interviews the whole time I think it would have been fine with most people.

I'd say, screw Sirius and do your own thing form the website. But, as I understand it you're now locked into another non-compete. So, what are we to do? Some people have been very nasty here, I do n;t agree with that approach, though I am probably equally as angry as this right now. I hope you will find a good solution going forward and wish you the best. But, I fear you may have screwed the pooch on this one and I wonder how many loyal old fans will follow you again into another new venture.

Mhayhurst

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 05, 2013, 03:22:25 PM
Maybe setting up an alternate stream on ArtBell.com where people could log in with their SiriusXM username/password could have worked.

Great idea if it would work.

coaster

Quote from: Art Bell on November 05, 2013, 03:23:32 PM
What many of you who were not involved behind the scenes do not understand is that all that was
done day after day without result. There wee many meetings and a lot of talking but in the end it was
still not resolved. I know it seemed all at once to you but trust me it was not.

Art
Ok, so are there any other options? Are you still going to find a way to do the show if Sirius is no longer an option?

Jackstar

Art

Quote from: WildCard on November 05, 2013, 03:18:06 PM
I'm not mad at you, Art. You don't owe us anything. I'll be there when you come back.

See you all so soon!

Stevenqbosell

Quote from: Goodpumba on November 05, 2013, 03:07:02 PM
when i called in to cancel Sirius gave me 2 free months and said to stick around and see if thing get sorted out  8)

Lucky you, the fella on the phone had no idea who Art Bell was and said"Sorry, we have no alternatives to Dark Matter" - Ya damn right!

Oh Art. Got me all excited to listen to a competent radio host... Back to Sports talk and Hendrie Archives

Coz

Art

Ok.. I'll accept that answer.

But the best outcome, for everyone, is Art Bell on the air.

BillW50

I don't think we will heard anymore here from Art. He is taking his ball and going home.  :(

Art you have just opened a can of shitworms, so will you be coming back on air in some other fashion? Otherwise the people who have paid already will cause a radiowave shitnami. Are you gonna take control of this like an old shit surfing a shitwave Art? Or has this shitboat sailed?

Jackstar

Quote from: shell88 on November 05, 2013, 03:23:38 PM
How about some patience Art?
This from the person who... oh, nevermind.

/wave

DanTSX

You determined the loss of listener base over 6 weeks in a new format?

I've had ups deliveries take longer than that.

MarkP

Art

It was six weeks  - you didn't really give them a chance.

Personally, why not make the most of trying to build an audience out of the existing 27 Million subscribers, and allow for "Dark Matter" to grow organically.  It isn't C2C - allow it to be something new.   

Quote from: eddie dean on November 05, 2013, 03:23:01 PM
if we are quoting  Mr Lahey's "shit" references, the most appropriate one would be: " A shit  leopard never changes its spots".

Shit on!

shell88

still not resolved. I know it seemed all at once to you but trust me it was not

I noticed you went through the "all in" scenario when you had Charles Faddis on back on 10/23.

tprainbow

It just did not make any sense to me that pirates were posting programs the next day and live streams were popping up all
over the place that did not even carry our commercials without anybody doing anything about it, just crazy. Why not stream until
the problem was fixed with our commercials? It was a widespread problem including here on Bell Gab, right? My thinking was and
still is that it would have drawn many more into the program, eventually becomming full subs.

Art, the media climate has been changing drastically for almost 15 years. Every single form of entertainment(perhaps save video games) is getting hit with these issues. I think Sirius is holding on to the last bastion of a dying format (satellite radio) milking their brand and service while they still can. In the world of modern constant media influx the listeners are distracted and faced with a myriad of amazing free content. It will never be like 1996 again, ever. For sirius change their standards and practices is a bit out of your control. I think your idea would have been better for YOUR SHOW on Sirius, but it is incredibly risky for the company as a whole. You have a great idea, but it causes serious (get it?) problems for the business model that is Sirius. In the end using sirius as the format rather than doing it independently was probably a bad move. But come on man! Didn't anyone ever tell you to "keep something in your back pocket"?  Why does it gotta come down to it like this? You could have at least kept the show up long enough to organize something with the fans to really work the "fan power" and would have stood a much better chance at getting something done without hurting your audience's feelings.

mainmanX

Hi there, I am now on the site, I tried Yesterday but it would not take my PW, I tried to change it because I thought I might

If it will help, I am sorry. I know many of you are angry in your usual style which I expected but there is nothing new I can say
that will make any of you feel any better. It is as I have said, I had hundreds of emails from people who tried the 30 day free
trial and were getting dropped left and right, Sirius was aware of the problem.(many of you know because you tried to
help with the error reporting)  I am sure some dropped because they did not like my show or just did not have the money, but
by far most dropped because of the drops. This was a problem that we talked to them virtually every day about and learned that

As I mentioned in my emails Yesterday the net effect was that my base was gone, those of you who listened to the show must
have noticed, I sure did, so I asked Sirius for a Year of free streaming or until they could fix the problem, they did offer a second
free 30 day trial but what point is there in that if people would have the same experience? Anything beyond that, they were unwilling
to do. It just did not make any sense to me that pirates were posting programs the next day and live streams were popping up all

I am still open to patching this up, but not without some tip of the hat to those that left because of the streaming problem, we even offered
to pay for the streaming ourselves until it could be fixed. Anyway I am here so feel free to continue to cut me up and you can be

Art

Again I am truly sorry to those who got caught in this and lost any money because you bought a radio or tried the NET.

Is there something SXM contractually promised that they are not delivering for you?  That's about the only legitimate thing that would prevent this from becoming another notch on your "serial retiree" reputation, sir.

The General

Art
Dude, you were only on for SIX WEEKS!
That's only two more weeks than the free trial...
So 2 weeks is the absolute most it could have been an issue!

We were so happy you were back!  Now the knife?  WTF?

Jackstar

Quote from: shell88 on November 05, 2013, 03:26:34 PM
I noticed you went through the "all in" scenario when you had Charles Faddis on back on 10/23.
You are not fucking wrong right there. If the Criminal Intelligence Agency wanted Art Bell on the air, surprise, there would be suddenly bandwidth and strippers and tax credits and every other kind of fantastic fun imaginable.

Heather Wade

Art

Art, I've already told you I am not mad at you.  I refuse to cut you up.  You're still my hero.

It's the *situation* that sucks.  It's not having you on the air that sucks. 

There must be a way.

EarthAlien007

Art

Art, are you free to do something else now? You need to come back somehow.

Marc.Knight

Art

Well, now you've used the "nuclear option" and you have their undivided attention.  If your heart is really in this you should be willing to give a little and they might follow suit.  Otherwise, I think you're motivated to go back to retirement.  Stay engaged with them...

HumanBeing

Quote from: Jackstar on November 05, 2013, 03:27:45 PM
You are not fucking wrong right there. If the Criminal Intelligence Agency wanted Art Bell on the air, surprise, there would be suddenly bandwidth and strippers and tax credits and every other kind of fantastic fun imaginable.

Hmm what's this?!? You might have two brain cells after all  :D ;D
Still a douche though  ;)

DesertFox

Art

Art--people are mad because you are great at what you do and just when we think we got it back miraculously...the rug is pulled.  And the sudden dramatic withdrawal without warning has happen before, my friend.

If you'd just fulfill your 3 year contract and work thru things as best you can AND MAKE GREAT RADIO...no one would be disappointed even if the audience number isn't sky high.

If you do great work...NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.  How rare is great work?  This radio biz is what you were born to do--such a waste right now.

HumanBeing

Art's left the building folks...

ledzep69r

Art, you also have to realize that a fair amount of people out there are tech-challenged and have terrible computers and god knows what programs/viruses on them that will interfere with the stream. That's not your fault or SiriusXM's, and you can't help them, they can only help themselves. I for one never had any major problem with the net stream, only occasional drops once or twice a week. I don't think the problem was as big as you may think it was. PLEASE come back to the show ASAP and try to salvage what may be left of your audience.

zeebo

Quote from: coaster on November 05, 2013, 12:22:51 PM
Art belongs on AM radio.

I just wanted to second this.  Art if you ever come back, you belong dark ridin' through the crunchy AM radio waves you were born for.  If you can have a satellite and/or internet simulcast as well that's great, but the primary medium for your smoky resonant voice is terrestrial radio with all it's crackles and pops.  You'll reach so many more people, and give c2c some real competition. 

However, if this is truly it, if you're really retired, thanks for everything.  And please excuse some of the more mean-spirited remarks on this thread - try to understand much of it stems from people really feeling a sense of loss right now.

CRM 114

Not really angry, just sad. I consider myself 'your base listener'. followed you on am for years and years, listened to repeats during the bad years, when you returned this time we sunscribed to sirius, I submitted material to your website, gave your staff vaild feedback, participated on these forums, spread the word to at least 6 people who also signed up to sirius and also called in tot he show several times, even tho I didnt get on air. Theres quite a lot us like, this, not MILLIONS of people, but a true core group that, if enthused would spread the gospel unceasingly...and we feel betrayed and used and disappointed.

Why such a hurry. You had a deal, why not just relax, get into it and explore the possibilities for a year or three.nothing to lose, except I guess 20 hours of your time a week. In return you could have ascended who knows what heights of broadcast history.

But, what, because C Crane complains sales arent what the want you take a shit on all of us and your legacy?

sucks dude.

Surmo

Art, I agree with Philosopher.  You can get your way, in increments.  Work on Sirius, get what concessions you can as to caller and air quality, and take that to the bank and make changes.  They have been relatively reasonable, you have to be.

Please, we need a decent host on the air.  I thought you were better than in your old days, all things considered.  Let this continue!