• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

jazmunda

Quote from: themudking on November 04, 2013, 09:46:34 PM
Please make mine a money order.

Too late. I had area51drone mail them already. ;)

Apologies area51drone. I couldn't resist. :P

Uncle Duke

Quote from: McPhallus on November 04, 2013, 09:43:02 PM
He was referring to the regular streaming you get from Sirius. When that didn't work to his expectations, he wanted Sirius to allow free streaming for everyone (through art's site) when the show was being broadcast.  It's all about getting callers.

Not how I read his comment, at least in light of his recent actions.  His reference to his listeners from AM support the way I read his statement.  Makes no difference anyway, he's just looking for any excuse at this point seemingly.  The sad part is, his legacy will be that of a guy with a classic narcissistic personality disorder (to quote a wise Canadian) as opposed to the brilliant radio host he was once thought to be. 

ItsOver

Damn!  I'm back in High School trying to date that hot chick that's a big tease.  ::)

Well we are once again victims of Art's actions.  I think we can all understand a little about how his kids feel that he has walked out on through the years.  Let this serve as a warning to Asia and Aryan.  The minute he does not need you anymore, he will walk out on you too.

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 04, 2013, 09:47:59 PM
I wonder if it's too late to get a refund on my Nudie listening suit?

Gram Parsons wants his jacket back. Flying Burrito Brothers!

onan

Bart Ell

Quote from: guildnavigator on November 04, 2013, 09:42:23 PM
I responded to the generic message from artbell@artbell.com and just got this in response from Art:

"P.S. I am here and more than willing to do a show if Sirius changes their minds, a Year under the circumstances seemed reasonable to me,
just until they could fix the streaming."

If Sirius changes their minds? Come the fart on Art, this is all on you.
6 weeks in and you pull an Art Bell again.
The streaming wasn't that big of an issue. I listened to EVERY show live and had a drop out once. I listened on my Android, I listened on my laptop and had 1 drop out for a total of 2 minutes. All that meant was, when it reconnected and continued on from the drop off point (great feature!), that I had to hit the LISTEN IVE button during a commercial to catch back up.

You were getting new listeners and more and more of your loyal listeners were still finding out about the new show. Ask every single one of the people who did suffer mutiple stream drops if they would stop listening because of it. You know the answer, Art.

Don't pass the buck on this, Art. You left listeners high and dry again. This time, though, it cost them. People bought radios and subscriptions to be able to hear your show. You don't owe any of us anything.... but a little respect would be nice.

You did a full 4 hours of open lines. Not once did I feel you were trying to stretch out calls to fill time. You went off the air that night with the lines full.

Swallow your pride for once and actually see this thing through instead of giving up the first time you feel slighted or don't get your way.

Luna

Quote from: 8bitwizard on November 04, 2013, 09:37:59 PM
**ATTENTION***

I  called Sirius to cancel. They gave me a partial refund for the unpaid balance.
She also stated that she has had several calls tonight cancelling over the "programming change".
she mentioned they are tracking the number of cancellations.
That is really interesting that they're tracking it... °π°

warsau

Quote from: wenck on November 04, 2013, 09:46:11 PM
There's your Hitler reacts to/Downfall parody. Don't mind the typos, I put it together rather quickly using a Downfall parody maker website. I hope Widespread doesn't mind the good natured shout out to his archive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uR_7Vz6Duo

Nice work!

I loved having Art back, and man it pains me to read some of these nasty comments.
We sunk money into this too, but I still listened to Clyde Lewis live (groundzeromedia.org) and caught Art on the replay.
I hope Art comes back,and even if he doesn't just knock it off with the vitriol.

aldousburbank

Quote from: TequilaMB on November 04, 2013, 09:54:13 PM
I've seen that suit somewhere before, was it Gram Parsons'?
Correctomundo!  Gilded Cage, Flying Burrito Bros. I play this junk all the dang time!  Check out the tunes "wheels" and "christine's tune".

jazmunda

Anyone listening to the RCH replay now?

Any dropouts or 1001 errors?

8bitwizard

Yeah. I work in a call center too. So, I'm not that surprised they are tracking it. But I was surprised she mentioned it. That's usually hush hush info

Quote from: Luna on November 04, 2013, 09:58:43 PM
That is really interesting that they're tracking it... °π°

HumanBeing

Quote from: steelbot on November 04, 2013, 08:26:22 PM
so yea, I emailed em.

Subject: After Dark Matter and beyond...

Well,

So you guys can imagine the web is abuzz with worry and doubt.  Everyone seems to be deep down wishing you folks well, I think some angst has come out a bit, but to be expected.
I would really like to wish ya the best Art in whatever place this current situation takes you, as well as you Keith and Paul.
I would like to offer some technical support for a couple of ideas if they could be of use.
ICECAST is very easy to do for video and 64kbs that sirius streamed sounds GREAT...

A video podcast is quite easy too...I generally listen along, or if the recently started GabCast podcast with video/audio streaming.  I don't know MV (bellgab owner), stats his own projects, but still.  This seems to me this is quite easy, and using Justin.tv as a authorized broadcaster, or Youtube live casts such as Joe Rogan Experience podcast.  You could get all the ad-revenue, keep C-Crane as an advertiser.  I mean, there are real solutions to totally own your own show!

.  Doesn't have to be a live "Art" cam, more of the things being discussed.  I do this all the time, just have someone off pulling a screen capture of a desktop pumping in the feeds from the webpage or the topics being discussed...it goes out over the air, and the web.  Peeps can see this and get the show however they wish and want!.

My take Art...you got the bug again...and the ride has been fun so far...I'm hoping enough so (and the spiderbite scars to prove it) that you want to do this, but seem to accept that only if you have total control over it! and with using these ways you could! 

I know the language is harsh, but check out a Joe Rogan podcast some time and see how he conducts a show...Yes again, the language is harsh..but they ARE GOOD.  He interviewed Steven Greer and it was a good show.  He's had everyone one..

-Cheers and good luck guys!

Scott

haha, a bit kiss assy and pretentious for my liking.. but to each their own... Art has handled this very cowardly in my opinion.
Don't just run to his room and shut the door like a child. Come back on the air and tell those truckers and people on the road that listened and cared enough to call in to make Dark Matter what it was. Instead he is going to release some half-assed statement that most of those listeners will never read. He's lost whatever integrity he had right there.

There's your Hitler reacts to/Downfall parody. Don't mind the typos, I put it together rather quickly using a Downfall parody maker website. I hope Widespread doesn't mind the good natured shout out to his archive.

Comedy Gold !!!!

thx, we needed a laff

gbneely

That's funny! Thanks for posting.

RedMichael

Ya Art, the "It's not me, its them!" excuse is baaad at this point. I mean..c'mooooon.

You make an unreasonable demand and you expect...oops I did it again, I thought about this like Art didn't plan this all out before he made the demand, my bad.

Also the "I am more than willing to do a show..." REALLY looks bad when you just burned sirius and their subscribers. I mean who in the hell would ever take a guy back after that? Art knows! No one!

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 04, 2013, 09:59:11 PM
Correctomundo!  Gilded Cage, Flying Burrito Bros. I play this junk all the dang time!  Check out the tunes "wheels" and "christine's tune".
Here ya go: Gram Parsons  (RIP) with "the suit."

First, I am mighty pissed at Art for quitting yet again.  Second, I am pissed that I wasn't the first to post about it.  Lowers my batting average to .500.  Third, I am pissed that Art doesn't have the stones to post here about his latest announcement.  Noory suffered the slings and arrows of this forum, but Art?  In hiding.  Pathetic.

Heather Wade

Quote from: jazmunda on November 04, 2013, 09:59:24 PM
Anyone listening to the RCH replay now?

Any dropouts or 1001 errors?

I have it playing just fine.  Though there's only one thing missing:  Art Bell.   :'(

Not mad at him.  Not making excuses for him.  Just bummed out big time.  With a huge side of "Da fuq?!?"

Mysstryss

Whew I finally read all 33 pages. I feel the anger and disappointment and I share a little of the hope and optimism. I feel dumb for getting burned by Art once again. All I can say is I hope he finds a way to get back on the air, he seemed to really be enjoying himself. I don't feel like I can be proud to call myself a loyal fan for 20 years, that version of Art is gone. It's all just an epic bummer.

morphiaflow

In the name of giving him the benefit of the doubt, though, I can't imagine reading 30+ pages (and counting) of "fuck you Art" is going to exactly encourage him to WANT to work something out.

Quote from: HumanBeing on November 04, 2013, 10:00:31 PM
haha, a bit kiss assy and pretentious for my liking.. but to each their own... Art has handled this very cowardly in my opinion.
Don't just run to his room and shut the door like a child. Come back on the air and tell those truckers and people on the road that listened and cared enough to call in to make Dark Matter what it was. Instead he is going to release some half-assed statement that most of those listeners will never read. He's lost whatever integrity he had right there.

Exactly.  Fuck Art, he's dead to me.  I'm deleting my downloaded shows from Widespread and Will now.  I can't even listen to his voice anymore without being enraged by this stunt.

Eat shit, Art.

IcicleTrepan

I didn't have any money into this at this point, but I was seriously looking into getting a radio and years subscription and I was going to tell the Sirius ppl that I'm ordering just because of Art.  Unfortunately, various financial problems prevented me from getting a sub and I was planning on doing it as a christmas gift to myself but I guess I can't now.

So I guess to Sirius my opinion wouldn't mean much at all since I hadn't paid yet.  I really hope they come to an agreement of some sorts.

awguy

Quote from: Seraphim27 on November 04, 2013, 06:39:05 PM
This has probably already been mentioned, but maybe Art did that to make a point to Sirius. He announces on his FB page that the show will be no more, hundreds of people call Sirius to ask about it or cancel their subscriptions, and then he'll be like, "See what'd happen if I left? Now give me what I want."

I'd like this to be true but I fear that Art isn't coming back.

williedee

that was hilarious! "its probably the numbers lady too"

RedMichael

Quote from: NefariousBanana on November 04, 2013, 10:02:57 PM
Exactly.  Fuck Art, he's dead to me.  I'm deleting my downloaded shows from Widespread and Will now.  I can't even listen to his voice anymore without being enraged by this stunt.

Eat shit, Art.

No you don't understand. He his doing this out of LOVE for them. Don't you get it?

His numbers are bad BECAUSE of the errors too. Millions must have had them.