• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

AppealPlay

Art, Paul, whomever: ever think of picking up the telephone and giving someone in charge a ring? :P

urbie88

Quote from: IcicleTrepan on November 08, 2013, 08:06:02 PM
Since Howard is all powerful at Sirius, how about we start taking our issue to him?  If we started emailing and calling him about it until he starts mentioning it on-air, do you guys think it would be worthwhile?

Nope. Unfortunately not. Hell I'm amazed he didn't have Sal or Richard prank call DM while it was on!

Zenman

Thanks for the update, Art. Glad everyone's ok overseas.

Hopefully the suits at Sirius are just bogged down with the standard bureaucratic logistics.

Job

Quote from: georgesucks on November 08, 2013, 08:24:16 PM
Art it is good that your wife's family is safe. Art you should have keep talking to xm about the problem and NOT QUITbut who cares. The bottom line is YOU HANDLE IT THE WRONG WAYon your end. The best then you could have done is to stay on the air and work with the IT people with XM.
If the non-compete is to be enforced, better to get that clock ticking ASAP.  Unless they will let him on for now AND start the clock.  But they aren't talking.

harryheck

Quote from: Art Bell on November 08, 2013, 08:06:55 PM
To be VERY clear I was not proposing anything that many other Hosts are not doing on Sirius/XM, as a
independent Broadcaster streaming or even being on regular Broadcast stations at the same time is
fine, we proposed to keep Sirius/XM exclusive but simply stream as others do.

This was not a impulsive decision much as it may have looked that way from the outside, we had been
talking with Sirius/XM for the entire time almost every day about the streaming problems. Listeners to my
program were effected to a much greater extent then for other shows that had been developed on the
Sat part of the company because they almost entirely came in on the 30 day trial period which was really
tough for them. If you give something a try and have a bad experience when it comes time to pay about
$180.00 for continued service what do you think most people would do? Sure, perhaps some did not like
the show or some just could not afford it, but we had hundreds of emails from people who were getting
constant drop outs.

I am in no way angry with Sirius/XM just disapointed that something could not be worked out. I am also
very sad that they are not talking to us. Perhaps I am expecting a reply too soon. I would like nothing better
than to be on right now.

At the end we had requested some remedy like a Year of free streaming OR until they could fix their
problem. The break point was when they said no, that was Monday. On Wednesday we proposed what
you see above which they said they were activly considering. Nothing since, no communication from them.
Maybe they think my back problems were too much, there were times it was tough to even walk home after
sitting for four hours. BTW, I chose to do four hours instead of the contracted three and if we had found a
way to continue I would have done so till I could no longer walk. So if you think I just wanted to quit you are
so wrong.

The only good news of the day is that Airyn's Family is safe after the Typhoon, we were very worried. Thank
God for that.

Art

Thanks for the update, Art.

Heather Wade

They're sweating him through the weekend, and will call at 4:30 Monday afternoon with the good and/ or tolerable news.

Fucking corporations.

Bigfoot

To be VERY clear I was not proposing anything that many other Hosts are not doing on Sirius/XM, as a
independent Broadcaster streaming or even being on regular Broadcast stations at the same time is

This was not a impulsive decision much as it may have looked that way from the outside, we had been
talking with Sirius/XM for the entire time almost every day about the streaming problems. Listeners to my
program were effected to a much greater extent then for other shows that had been developed on the
Sat part of the company because they almost entirely came in on the 30 day trial period which was really
tough for them. If you give something a try and have a bad experience when it comes time to pay about
$180.00 for continued service what do you think most people would do? Sure, perhaps some did not like
the show or some just could not afford it, but we had hundreds of emails from people who were getting
constant drop outs.

I am in no way angry with Sirius/XM just disapointed that something could not be worked out. I am also
very sad that they are not talking to us. Perhaps I am expecting a reply too soon. I would like nothing better
than to be on right now.

At the end we had requested some remedy like a Year of free streaming OR until they could fix their
problem. The break point was when they said no, that was Monday. On Wednesday we proposed what
you see above which they said they were activly considering. Nothing since, no communication from them.
Maybe they think my back problems were too much, there were times it was tough to even walk home after
sitting for four hours. BTW, I chose to do four hours instead of the contracted three and if we had found a
way to continue I would have done so till I could no longer walk. So if you think I just wanted to quit you are
so wrong.

The only good news of the day is that Airyn's Family is safe after the Typhoon, we were very worried. Thank
God for that.

Art

Well, this is reassuring, so thanks for that.  I just hope you realize that there are many more of us who never had any reason to complain, and now we're all left without a show.  Either way, I sincerely hope we all get the opportunity to hear you live again soon. 

Zenman

Quote from: Derpspiracy on November 08, 2013, 08:06:54 PM
Probably not. Howard Stern only cares about farts. Only a small contingent of BellGabbers are farts.

LOL

Thanks. I just spit a half liter of apple juice on my keyboard.

PathoJen

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 08, 2013, 05:37:28 PM
Is calling boobies "knockers" still pc?

I, personally like the word "gals"...yes, it's old fashion, but the sentiment is very grandfatherly.

Maybe Phil Hendrie, as Art, can call the Sirius execs on Monday and BEG forgiveness and promise to be good.

zeebo

Perhaps I am expecting a reply too soon. I would like nothing better
than to be on right now.

Thanks for the update Art.  I hope the Sirius thing and/or something else works out.  Even when there were issues here and there on Dark Matter many of us were having a great time coming along for the ride and just want you back on the air.

PathoJen

Quote from: urbie88 on November 08, 2013, 08:26:55 PM
Nope. Unfortunately not. Hell I'm amazed he didn't have Sal or Richard prank call DM while it was on!

Didn't Art have call screening on DM? Art is really the only radio personality I've ever heard who can handle Sal and Richard. He doesn't give them too much attention.., just sort of moves on.

ItsOver

Quote from: 999 on November 08, 2013, 07:57:00 PM
Well at least I never ever have to listen to TMZ again.

Hahaha... once was more than enough for me.  Goodbye Sirius.

maren

Quote from: Job on November 08, 2013, 08:10:28 PM
As contrived as his phony accent and acting style.

Ahhh, I see it as part of his brilliance.  He plays the part flawlessly.  The only time I heard him falter was once when Art kept him on longer than usual, and you could hear he was kind of flagging, repeating outrageous accusations.  He finally hung up on Art.  I imagined he was thinking at the end "Jesus, Art, help me out here -- end this call!"   ;D

harryheck

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 08, 2013, 08:30:13 PM
They're sweating him through the weekend, and will call at 4:30 Monday afternoon with the good and/ or tolerable news.

Fucking corporations.

No, "fucking" lawyers.  I bet everything has been turned over to the SiriusXM's legal department.  Don't ask me why, but for anything pertaining to contracts, lawyers are always in the driver's seat.

alleyrulez

Quote from: PathoJen on November 08, 2013, 08:32:50 PM
Didn't Art have call screening on DM? Art is really the only radio personality I've ever heard who can handle Sal and Richard. He doesn't give them too much attention.., just sort of moves on.

I don't think Sal and Richard would have called DM. they goof on Riley and Jay Thomas for various reasons, but I don't think Howard would condone sabotaging another Sirius program.

Steven Tyler's toes are straighter than Art's responses.  Not an impulsive decision?  So deactivating your facebook was a measured, well thought out course of action?

Jnthn932

constant drop outs.

than to be on right now.

so wrong.

God for that.

Art
Thanks for the continued updates and glad to hear your wife's family is ok. I know first hand what it's like to go through a storm of that magnitude. As far as Sirius goes, keep your head up! You sound frustrated as are we. Hope something will be worked out soon.

Bigfoot

Quote from: harryheck on November 08, 2013, 08:35:25 PM
No, "fucking" lawyers.  I bet everything has been turned over to the SiriusXM's legal department.  Don't ask me why, but for anything pertaining to contracts, lawyers are always in the driver's seat.

As it should be!

sorry, lawyer here

:P

PathoJen

jesus h! They said NO to art on monday. So, then what? Did SXM and Art decide, mutually, that DM was not going to happen? I mean, so they said NO, to that particular request. At that point, why not stay on the freaking air, and try to come up with another solution (ie: the one you are proposing now).

420desert

No news is probably good news, right? A no would have come quickly... if they are leaning yes, I assume this would involve rewriting/amending the existing contract or preparing a new offer which would take some time.

I agree with Art in that they have nothing to lose if they still own the content.

Jnthn932

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 08, 2013, 08:30:13 PM

Fucking corporations.
Word.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 08, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
I don't think Sal and Richard would have called DM. they goof on Riley and Jay Thomas for various reasons, but I don't think Howard would condone sabotaging another Sirius program.

Dr. Laura.

Howard Stern BLAST Dr. Laura 1-27-2011 (Extended Version)

ItsOver

Art, the bottom line with this whole situation is you're not doing a show and we don't have one to listen to.  That wasn't the case a week ago.

Heather Wade

Quote from: harryheck on November 08, 2013, 08:35:25 PM

...aaaaand, you're totally right.

maren

Quote from: alleyrulez on November 08, 2013, 08:26:22 PM
Art, just suck it up and apologize, ask for your job back.

keep doing the show while looking for a viable solution to the streaming issue.

this is probably the only option if you want to stay on the air.

Agree -- this is as close to a win-win as I think we can hope for at this time. 

IcicleTrepan

Quote from: maren on November 08, 2013, 08:34:30 PM
Ahhh, I see it as part of his brilliance.  He plays the part flawlessly.  The only time I heard him falter was once when Art kept him on longer than usual, and you could hear he was kind of flagging, repeating outrageous accusations.  He finally hung up on Art.  I imagined he was thinking at the end "Jesus, Art, help me out here -- end this call!"   ;D

I was pretty sure he was an act when he called in once and started quoting pink floyd as part of his rhetoric.  He did disguise it well but if you are a fan of The Wall it's fairly obvious.  And there's no reason a Bible thumper like the JC character would ever have to listen to Pink Floyd enough to actually pick up some of the lyrics.

At any rate what he said was basically 'fire the ovens for the queens and the coons and the reds and the jews' which is a direct quote out of 'waiting for the worms' from the wall.  It's very sneaky because Roger Waters is saying this line via a megaphone on the song and so maybe some people wouldn't pick up on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zRrX_17bw

Link if you want to listen to it :)

ItsOver

Damn lawyers.  OK, they're on the list.  Truckers, cellphones, Jess,.....

Quote from: urbie88 on November 08, 2013, 08:26:55 PM

I sat next to Richard during a screening of Halloween last week, he took a full beer into the restroom, and was drinking it while using the urinal.  That's a man who loves beer. 

maren

Quote from: (Redacted) on November 08, 2013, 08:15:31 PM
Man, people don't even realize, Art is bummed about all this, as much, if not more, than we are.

Thank you very much for the update.  Glad everyone is ok.

Sorry about all this, dude.   :-[

I think you're right.   I believe what he's telling us, and I believe he wants to be back on the air.  I just don't think he expected the response he got from Sirius (obviously).