• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

McPhallus

Quote from: NefariousBanana on November 04, 2013, 08:16:25 PM
Now I'm listening to depressing music.  This really is like a breakup.  I'm a fucking mess.

I think some of you are a little too emotionally invested.  I know the scenario fucking sucks, but it's still just a radio show.  It's not like any of us really know Art.

BattyBrooke

I blame this on the Spooky Matter caller that took the show to an all time low with his call about a DREAM he had. A dream (the stupid elevator dream)! With such a small pool of callers, Art knew something had to be done.

Quote from: suvata on November 04, 2013, 08:18:59 PM
Well, I guess it's back to C2C.  I know they're not as good but they are there when you tune in.

I'll never go back to coast to coast while George Noory is there. And now this guy "Tommy" has been an asshole to enough people (not Art Bell) that I don't like that guy being involved either.

BattyBrooke

Quote from: McPhallus on November 04, 2013, 08:21:46 PM
I think some of you are a little too emotionally invested.  I know the scenario fucking sucks, but it's still just a radio show.  It's not like any of us really know Art.

If you spend nearly 20 years listening to Art nightly, you know Art. You'd be soulless *not* to be emotionally invested.

TumbleWeed

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on November 04, 2013, 08:10:02 PM
Anybody who thinks Noory is happy, think again.
He's probably shitting himself right now. Art's in radio mode, and contracts (Noory's) mean nothing these days. He knows PremRat would drop him in a New York minute if Art even farted in their direction.

Sirius couldn't handle Art Bell. That's the bottom line.
He'll be back. I bet his phone is ringing now.

Art Hates Premeir and I doubt anyone will be beating down his door after this. Sirius bends over backwards for him,and he leaves.

williedee

Quote from: bateman on November 04, 2013, 08:19:58 PM
Art just sent me this email:

I'll tell you what.. he doesn't sound like a baby, and he makes some VERY valid points. The biggest problem is that I could have told him these things before he started. Oh well, I still wouldn't count him out yet. Perhaps a hybrid online/terrestrial solution will present itself.

"artbell.com" was active on the Art Bell.Com Facebook thread about 35 minutes ago.. about the time when the site was updated to show the Hoagland rerun..
But even on thread, people are angry.  https://www.facebook.com/ArtBellCom/posts/604503462945827

midnight

I renewed even though I got dropped a few times.  It was nothing to me, and I kinda liked the truck drivers even with their crappy phones.  Not every caller is a hit, never was, never will be. 
The fact that a lot of people didn't renew their free subscriptions is just normal.  Lots of people will sign for something free and drop it when it's not. 

But over time more and more would have signed up.  It just would have taken time.   

indigoo

Again Art says nothing new. We already knew all of this. I guess that confirms it though. Certainly doesn't sound like he's proactive in doing anything else from here on out. Well, that was fun I guess.

Basically we got a recap of old material. He basically remade a handful of older shows. Didn't explore any interesting topics or reach out to new guests with different ideas.

steelbot

so yea, I emailed em.

Subject: After Dark Matter and beyond...

Well,

So you guys can imagine the web is abuzz with worry and doubt.  Everyone seems to be deep down wishing you folks well, I think some angst has come out a bit, but to be expected.
I would really like to wish ya the best Art in whatever place this current situation takes you, as well as you Keith and Paul.
I would like to offer some technical support for a couple of ideas if they could be of use.
ICECAST is very easy to do for video and 64kbs that sirius streamed sounds GREAT...

A video podcast is quite easy too...I generally listen along, or if the recently started GabCast podcast with video/audio streaming.  I don't know MV (bellgab owner), stats his own projects, but still.  This seems to me this is quite easy, and using Justin.tv as a authorized broadcaster, or Youtube live casts such as Joe Rogan Experience podcast.  You could get all the ad-revenue, keep C-Crane as an advertiser.  I mean, there are real solutions to totally own your own show!

.  Doesn't have to be a live "Art" cam, more of the things being discussed.  I do this all the time, just have someone off pulling a screen capture of a desktop pumping in the feeds from the webpage or the topics being discussed...it goes out over the air, and the web.  Peeps can see this and get the show however they wish and want!.

My take Art...you got the bug again...and the ride has been fun so far...I'm hoping enough so (and the spiderbite scars to prove it) that you want to do this, but seem to accept that only if you have total control over it! and with using these ways you could! 

I know the language is harsh, but check out a Joe Rogan podcast some time and see how he conducts a show...Yes again, the language is harsh..but they ARE GOOD.  He interviewed Steven Greer and it was a good show.  He's had everyone one..

-Cheers and good luck guys!

Scott

Zenof

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 04, 2013, 08:13:14 PM
Sirius couldn't handle Art Bell? They gave him complete creative control. Art apparently couldn't handle that he signed with fee-based and subscription-based company. There is no way in hell any professional radio outlet will touch him after this.

Dude, seriously???

When I started paying these fuckers I expected to not get knocked off the stream EVERY 5 FUCKIN MINUTES

It's clear that SiriusXM didn't know what they were getting themselves into when they acquired Art...

Quote from: tprainbow on November 04, 2013, 08:21:33 PM
This is utterly pathetic. I hate to say it, but as a long time loyal fan...he is finally losing me. His ego, which i've tried to convince myself was him being some jesus-like persecuted and tormented victim(with a hint of mysteriously creepy), has just turned out to be him being a total self-interested dick willing to fuck his fans in the hardest way. There were many avenues to pursue other than playing "chicken" with Sirius and folding over on my last fucking hand. He's a shit businessmen and I even feel sorry for the guys at Sirius who pulled strings to put him up for his time as a squatter. What a bum. I'm starting to notice the way he shapes the world around him in order to pull off being such a narcissist. Its apparent that art lives in "his world" and that world isn't reality.

I'm not even 30...I feel sorry for those of you who have been with him longer than I.     

I can't believe, i'm saying this...but for the love of all that is late night radio: Man up Art, face the backlash, deal with it and give a little back for all you've been given and have taken from your listeners. Art(the craft-not the man) is not about what you put out there, its a reflection of the way you see the world and what is around you.

I'm just pissed off right now, pissing in the wind. Not sure how much of this is actually real within me. So disregard, or take it for what its worth. As parents say to their children... "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed"....oh wait!!! I have all this useless satellite radio shit laying around my house....I am indeed fucking pissed.

Being stuck with worthless Sirius accessories is the worst part.  It's like an STD, it never leaves.  I still have a shitty plug and play unit and boombox laying around somewhere in my closet taking up space.

I agree with you for the most part.  This is a selfish thing for Art to do, depriving people who paid an entire subscription just to hear his show with the expectation he'd be on for more than A MONTH AND A HALF.  The truck drivers are probably going to be the ones who will be pissed the most, because how are you going to listen to a live internet show on the highway in the middle of fucking nowhere without a data plan or something?  Podcast?  Okay, whatever.

HumanBeing

Quote from: MV on November 04, 2013, 07:46:47 PM
let's be realistic.  it's not art's job to "give a shit" about us.  he's a man who is skilled at maintaining a listening audience for the purpose of presenting that listening audience with advertisements.  we sometimes get the true relationship between host and listener a little mixed up.  what's happening before your eyes at this moment is a matter of business.

I'm fine to resign to your understanding of the situation. That may well be the case.
But sorry, I don't see much integrity in it. Even if it all this is just some business move made by Art to try to maneuver himself into a better position to destroy Coast, as it seemingly appears was his only true motives for returning, it sucks.
I guess I'm finding it harder to accept that Art is not the man who I thought he was.

When you listen to the Spooky Matter show, he's constantly pointing out every time a trucker calls in. Then he asks how the person found out about the show, and each time he addresses either of these topics he injects an "I told you so" subtext to what he's saying. There was definitely some shit being said between the lines to the people he was "negotiating" with.

Spinner

I just found out.  :o
Please allow me to have a tantrum.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not happening!!!
This is not happening!!!
This is not happening!!!

[attachimg=1]

It hurts!!!   It hurts!!!   It hurts!!!   

dortmunder

So, I wonder, if Art does decided to stream from his site or to work through some other venue, he can't use the Dark Matter name? Is it a property of Sirius? I would imagine so. It just makes me wonder about that contract. Art mentioned many times that with Sirius he has complete control, but how much of that was actually true?

cmotors

Well, at least it wasn't some hardball attempt to get his own way at the expense of the listeners. The show had it's challenges with the subscriber format I guess. That's too bad. It was fun while it lasted

HumanBeing

Quote from: Spooky Matter on November 04, 2013, 07:47:53 PM
Insanity at its BEST!

hehe yeah I'm starting to question my own reactions to it ;D hahaha ... help?!

Uncle Duke

"I started the show with the expectation that my listener's would be able to stream the show since most were coming from AM."

Was it in the contract you signed with Sirius?  If not, why would you expect same knowing it would fly in the face of a paid subscriber service's business model?

ourobouros2k2

Fine batty.. and for the record...fuck art bell.

Even if he could make a return in another venue, he just shit on his entire fanbase. My subscription to xm based solely on Art's show gives me validation for my righteous indignation, so if you don't like that, then eat shit. The people that believe that this is some evil plot by sirius/xm against Art are just deluded. He screwed us all, and that will be his legacy to radio. One bitch move erased his accolades? Don't believe me? Revisit the subject in one year. I will happily eat crow, but I won't have to. I hope he goes back to Manila and fades into obscurity.

HumanBeing

Quote from: jblank on November 04, 2013, 07:49:22 PM
He hasn't been there even 60 days yet, he signed a deal KNOWING all the conditions of the show, and then, has the gall to shit on his fans....AGAIN, and quits us........AGAIN. SCREW HIM up his drama queen, temper tantrum throwing ass. You don't sign a contract, constantly try to get your employer to change this or that, then make a demand that is nearly unprecedented for them, and quit. He is a child in a mans body.

A+++++Would buy again!~

;)  ;D I feel the same.

coaster

Should have asked him if he had any future plans for Dark matter.

AppealPlay

I don't understand what Art's problem with his show was.  I thought things were going well, more or less.

McPhallus

Quote from: BattyBrooke on November 04, 2013, 08:23:53 PM
If you spend nearly 20 years listening to Art nightly, you know Art. You'd be soulless *not* to be emotionally invested.

We know his radio persona, but not the real Art.  I'm was surprised as anyone when I heard the shitty news, but I chose not to waste any emotional energy on what is essentially a business decision (assuming that email just posted is valid).  Just sayin'.

ourobouros2k2

It was also foolish to believe that Sirius/XM, a paid premium service, would stream valued content for free. Either it was a copout to leave or he has a drastically over-inflated sense of self importance.

Luna

Now I'm just fantasizing about him making a PODCAST with a monthly perscription of past episodes with a free live stream... I'd pay Art Bell directly!!

DanTSX

Quote from: jblank on November 04, 2013, 08:17:48 PM
Pull what shit? Not agreeing to his outrageous demands? You people have lost your marbles if you're blaming this on Sirius.

Yup.  Art was asking Sirius to do shit from day 1.

Raise the volume
Raise the nitrate
No more Hookers.com commercials
etc
etc
etc

demands from day one

Not saying his requests were not justified, but they were there.  That is a fact.

EarthAlien007

Quote from: jblank on November 04, 2013, 08:17:48 PM
Pull what shit? Not agreeing to his outrageous demands? You people have lost your marbles if you're blaming this on Sirius.
Do you work for PremRat?
Just wondering...
Absolutely I blame this on Sirius.
Let's wait for the details to come out.

DanTSX

Quote from: ourobouros2k2 on November 04, 2013, 08:32:50 PM
It was also foolish to believe that Sirius/XM, a paid premium service, would stream valued content for free. Either it was a copout to leave or he has a drastically over-inflated sense of self importance.

This.

They have stockholders that will not put up for that shit.

HumanBeing

Quote from: Bonanza Pilot on November 04, 2013, 07:52:18 PM
This is fucking BULL SHIT.

I'm just flat out fucking angry and disappointed.

I feel like such a gullible rube for being strung along by all of Art's bull shit for so long. It goes back way before the multi colored 'question marks' on his website and the 'want to take a ride' bumper music links.....All this build up and news stories for nothing.

Bottom fucking line: People who shelled out money to listen to Art deserve better than this from him.

Damn right man this is bullshit!!  >:( Art really said fukyou to many loyal listeners today.
I apologize guys but I just can't help but respond to posts I agree so strongly with tonight.
Art's a damn coward.