• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

jazmunda

Quote from: Chocolate coated jackboot on January 23, 2014, 01:55:25 PM
is there a way to get a low-fi version of the podcast?  100mb/show is a bit excessive for those on dialup/bandwidth metered

Do dial up modems still make that cool connection sound? I wish my cable modem made that noise but it just sits there all quiet pretending he's so fast and cool. I miss that sound. My ringtone on my smartphone is of an old timey phone. That's just how I roll.

Quote from: bateman on January 23, 2014, 05:22:31 PM

Literally just started doing it in Novemeber, so there's not much of a back catalog, unfortunately.

This weekend I have 2 long interviews scheduled though: Dr. David Jacobs & Lyn Buchanan.

I meant to each individual show... The way you speak during  the podcasts makes it seem like there is other content besides the interviews for each show... Maybe I am just imagining things... Love all that I've heard thus far

bateman

Quote from: The Neverender on January 23, 2014, 05:46:44 PM
I meant to each individual show... The way you speak during  the podcasts makes it seem like there is other content besides the interviews for each show... Maybe I am just imagining things... Love all that I've heard thus far

Hmm, nothing more than what I've posted. Unless I've done some shows while blackout drunk. I do like my Irish coffees..

And thanks! 

zeebo

Quote from: jazmunda on January 23, 2014, 05:27:01 PM
Do dial up modems still make that cool connection sound?

Remember how neat it was to dial up an old-school BBS?  Felt like you had done some work to actually go somewhere.  You'd get that awesome modem dial-up / connection bink-bonk-hiss sounds.  Then they'd have those great 8-bit color words welcoming you always followed by several flashing exclamation points.  The web made everything too easy to bounce around with no attention span. 

bateman

Recording with Dr. David Jacobs tonight. Any abduction-related question from you guys? I'll try to get some in.

b_dubb

Quote from: bateman on January 24, 2014, 06:19:58 PM
Recording with Dr. David Jacobs tonight. Any abduction-related question from you guys? I'll try to get some in.

Brian Dunning of Skeptoid podcast said that Betty Hill was flying saucer obsessed prior to the "abduction" and that her obsession led to the creation of some false memories under hypnosis. Ask him if he has ever heard anything to that effect.

Also why should anyone think that alien abduction syndrome is anything but sleep paralysis?

HorrorRetro

I'm interested in hearing about reports where "abductees" have seen military members assisting "aliens" during abductions.

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on January 24, 2014, 06:25:41 PM
Brian Dunning of Skeptoid podcast said that Betty Hill was flying saucer obsessed prior to the "abduction" and that her obsession led to the creation of some false memories under hypnosis. Ask him if he has ever heard anything to that effect.

I'm definitely going to get into the methodology, and what safeguards he has in place to prevent suggestion. I'm also curious to find out if the people who wind up in his office are already under the impression that they've been abducted..

Quote from: b_dubb on January 24, 2014, 06:25:41 PM
Also why should anyone think that alien abduction syndrome is anything but sleep paralysis?

Apparently the majority of cases Dr. Jacobs has worked on involve people who've had these experiences while fully awake.

bateman

Quote from: HorrorRetro on January 24, 2014, 06:30:13 PM
I'm interested in hearing about reports where "abductees" have seen military members assisting "aliens" during abductions.

That's one thing I know he doesn't buy into, for one reason or another. He doesn't believe the military is complicit in abduction scenarios. I'm going to ask the documentary filmmaker I'm having on first about that, however.

Tarbaby

Master bateman, I'm posting to try to verify that the podcast I just listened to is the same one you are hosting. I just heard Keith McCloskey on his book "Mountain of the Dead". Great show, evocative, mystery. I found it very compelling.  I can't help but wonder how true it is, which is true of everything we are exposed to in media. Plus was a bit disappointed to suddenly realize how old the case was. But what a great mystery, would make a good movie if done right.

The bodies, the markings, the slits in the tent, all the associated odd details.

I liked the show, I think you did a great job interviewing the guy and I liked him too. He sounded* credible but, eh, we never know. Even if HE is absolutely straight-forward the details could be muddy, so many variables. But he amassed a lot of good clues that contribute to deductive "evidence".

So - is this the correct thread? I'm going in chronological order so I guess Hoadland is up next and I'll probably skip him. Or should I give it a listen? He's like fingernails on a blackboard to me after about 5 minutes.  He can take 50 directly related "facts" and come up with the most insane bizarre conclusion.

BobGrau

Don't skip the Hoagland show, it's a good one.

Uncle Duke

1)  How often are UFOs sighted during alleged abductions?  I mean by witnesses other than the abductees.

2)  Has any alleged abductee ever talked about first hand knowledge of animal mutilations? 

steelbot

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 25, 2014, 08:17:34 PM
1)  How often are UFOs sighted during alleged abductions?  I mean by witnesses other than the abductees.

2)  Has any alleged abductee ever talked about first hand knowledge of animal mutilations?

Don't know about #2 - but I just heard from actual friends living there that a UFO was spotted near Okinawa and Kadena AB.  From folks that are def. Not into the whole aliens genre either, so i thought it strange to see a comment/link such as this. 

Uncle Duke

Quote from: steelbot on January 25, 2014, 08:27:27 PM
Don't know about #2 - but I just heard from actual friends living there that a UFO was spotted near Okinawa and Kadena AB.  From folks that are def. Not into the whole aliens genre either, so i thought it strange to see a comment/link such as this.

So is Kadena noted for a significant number of abductions these days?  When I was there the place was known for kobi beef, island shaking take-offs by SR-71s, and the less than graceful dating habits of the USMC.

Quote from: bateman on January 24, 2014, 06:19:58 PM
I'm really looking forward to hearing this show.
Bateman can you ask about the people/theories that think some of these abductions are fabrications to protect the mind from sexual abuse episodes (or however that whole theory worked out)?
whoops I missed the date. I will get in before the bell next time.

ziznak

My timing is great tonight!!! live listen yay!!!

ziznak

wait a min... was davenport on again?

HorrorRetro

Quote from: ziznak on January 25, 2014, 10:02:17 PM
wait a min... was davenport on again?

I think it's a replay.

Uncle Duke

Replay or not, first I'd heard it.  Great interview with Davenport, particularly his comments on the Phoenix Lights.   I am extremely skeptical about the defense posture of the nation being elavated to DefCon3 on the night of the Phoenix sightings, however.  First, I was in the DoD at the time and would remember that having happened in a "real world" (as opposed to an exercise) situation.  Secondly, I doubt going to DefCon3 would have gone unnoticed and unreported by
the media. 

Also remember the rumor at the time was Clinton sustained his knee injury that evening while taking part in decidedly unwholesome activities at a party thrown by a pro golfer. 

gbneely

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 25, 2014, 08:48:56 PM
So is Kadena noted for a significant number of abductions these days?  When I was there the place was known for kobi beef, island shaking take-offs by SR-71s, and the less than graceful dating habits of the USMC.

I lived on Kadena for 5 years as a kid and we loved watching the SR-71s takeoff. Great memories.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: Uncle Duke on January 25, 2014, 10:41:55 PM
Replay or not, first I'd heard it.  Great interview with Davenport, particularly his comments on the Phoenix Lights.   I am extremely skeptical about the defense posture of the nation being elavated to DefCon3 on the night of the Phoenix sightings, however.  First, I was in the DoD at the time and would remember that having happened in a "real world" (as opposed to an exercise) situation.  Secondly, I doubt going to DefCon3 would have gone unnoticed and unreported by
the media. 

Also remember the rumor at the time was Clinton sustained his knee injury that evening while taking part in decidedly unwholesome activities at a party thrown by a pro golfer.

Totally agree on the DefCon level.  It was not changed that night.

Tarbaby

Quote from: BobGrau on January 25, 2014, 05:24:46 PM
Thanks, Bob, I'm going to listen to it now - at your suggestion.

RADEO

Juan.  I loved your "meh."  Good for you.  I think it was that slave trade looking avatar that made me jump on you.  But I must say the pm apology was sweet.  Thks for sharing that Bateman. And you're right,  critiquing is good for the soul.

Yes listen to Hoagland!  You were amazing with Hoagland, Bateman.  I wish your show was at least 3 times longer than it is.  It ends too soon.  It ends just as things are getting really good.  So does GabCast but it makes for a jewel to behold as you guys always start winding down like you're glad it's ending.  So cute. 

So The General is the Guitar Man.  You were fantastic!  I don't know a n y thing about guitars even though I have one.  But I sure did learn a lot.  It was really good.  And there sure are a lot of superstars here.   Cool site, cool thread makers, cool posters and very cool radio hosts!  And don't forget the cool listeners...
')

p.s. Bateman. Upper left butt cheek will happen ;)

Pam J

Loved your post RADEO :)  Yup.  Hoagland is a Great listen. Keep rockin' Bateman!!

We'll wait, you already rock.  Keep rockin' it!!

You too General!  Another rocker for sure!

eeieeyeoh

I must have traveled in time last night listening to Bell/Rowland creation.

bateman

Quote from: BobGrau on January 25, 2014, 05:24:46 PM

Thank yeeww. I enjoyed that one too.

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on January 25, 2014, 09:00:14 PM
I'm really looking forward to hearing this show.
Bateman can you ask about the people/theories that think some of these abductions are fabrications to protect the mind from sexual abuse episodes (or however that whole theory worked out)?
whoops I missed the date. I will get in before the bell next time.

We actually got into a good bit of that. Some of the people Jacobs has worked with a) are mental health professionals themselves b) have experienced sexual abuse or trauma, entirely separate from the abduction experience, and are cognizant of the difference.

bateman

Quote from: RADEO on January 26, 2014, 12:48:22 PM
Juan.  I loved your "meh."  Good for you.  I think it was that slave trade looking avatar that made me jump on you.  But I must say the pm apology was sweet.  Thks for sharing that Bateman. And you're right,  critiquing is good for the soul.

Yes listen to Hoagland!  You were amazing with Hoagland, Bateman.  I wish your show was at least 3 times longer than it is.  It ends too soon.  It ends just as things are getting really good.  So does GabCast but it makes for a jewel to behold as you guys always start winding down like you're glad it's ending.  So cute. 

So The General is the Guitar Man.  You were fantastic!  I don't know a n y thing about guitars even though I have one.  But I sure did learn a lot.  It was really good.  And there sure are a lot of superstars here.   Cool site, cool thread makers, cool posters and very cool radio hosts!  And don't forget the cool listeners...
')

Thank yeeeewww, I'm aiming for 3 hour shows in the near future, maybe even 2 per weekend. One step at a time, though.

Quote from: RADEO on January 26, 2014, 12:48:22 PM
p.s. Bateman. Upper left butt cheek will happen ;)

Are we talking about tattoos..? Spankings...? Totally cool either way.

b_dubb

When will the new episode be posted for listening? ;)

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on January 28, 2014, 04:27:49 PM
When will the new episode be posted for listening? ;)

Should be this weekend. I did so much recording, it's gonna take a little time to get it all edited. I also have 2 shows coming this weekend.. In the future, I may end up doing these live to avoid the editing issue entirely.

wr250

Quote from: bateman on January 28, 2014, 05:20:28 PM

Should be this weekend. I did so much recording, it's gonna take a little time to get it all edited. I also have 2 shows coming this weekend.. In the future, I may end up doing these live to avoid the editing issue entirely.

that would be most exxxcellent 

Mr Burns Excellent