• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Steve Warner's Dark City

Started by bateman, October 27, 2013, 03:54:49 PM

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on March 07, 2015, 07:52:43 PM
Have you seen Beyond the Black Rainbow? It will flip your lid. Hard.
Ok, I watched it. It was like a video mashup of Cube, Thirteen Ghosts, an
M83 video, and Noah Wyle as Steve Jobs in Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Overall, more style than substance. That song "Sentionauts" is fucking amazing though.

b_dubb

It's atmospheric. The visuals are insane. Like 2001:A Space Odyssey with a pinch of the Shining.

At the center is the empty promise of hippy drug culture. Through drug abuse you can expand your consciousness. Which you can. Right up to the point it bursts like a balloon.

astroguy

Quote from: bateman on March 17, 2015, 06:31:09 PM
I'd have him on with you at the same time if I didn't feel like it would turn into a knife fight.  ;D
Yeah, not a good idea.  Here are my notes.  I will likely blog about this.

- Keep in mind that poster session is 6PM-9PM, and most people set up the day before.

- Arrived at 7:55 and started very slowly to put up his many 8.5”x11” sheets.

- (have pictures) Finished putting up his sheets at 8:40.  VERY slowly.  (It should take someone a maximum of 5 minutes to do this.)

- (have pictures) Tucked his shirt into his pants that were falling down.

- Went to get a beer.

- A few people rubber-necked while he was getting his beer, reading the highlights, and left.

- He came back, and within a minute or two he approached the two people across from him (either both or just one was a woman) and remarked, almost exactly, “It must be tough facing [or "being opposite?”] all this for the whole night.”  [I really wish I had written it down then because this could be seen as really creepy, though he really was referring to the posters he just put up and not his "manhood."]

- When passers by would not engage him, he engaged people at surrounding posters, asking them about their work â€" reasonably fair.

- I tucked my name tag away so he wouldn’t know who I was because there was a non-zero chance he’d recognize my name.

- He engaged my friend to ask about her work.  While his back was to his work, I took lots of pictures while still pretending to read other posters.

- After he was done talking with her, I asked what he talked about and that was how I found out that he was asking about her work rather than trying to bring people over to his stuff.

- He had remarked about how odd some of the things she found were, but she rebuffed him and explained that, no, they were common and that her conclusion was that he had no idea what he was talking about with chemistry stuff that she was doing.  This wouldn't be worth noting (I have no idea what she's doing), except that he tried to Talk the Talk and failed miserably.

- She said he seemed drunk, but she wasn’t sure if that was just his personality.  I remarked that in the last interview I heard of him that he sounded drunk, that in every interview I hear of him he laughs every-so-often which gives the impression that he doesn’t take himself seriously, and that people on a forum I’m on remarked that over he course of his last interview, he seemed to sound progressively drunk.  Basically what we discussed on this thread about 6 weeks ago.

- When some other people were engaged, I came over to act interested but also to audio record it.  He made his case, the people seemed unconvinced.  At the end, the guy asked for a photo of his poster and he was happy to oblige and offered to be in it, too.

- (have recorded) When he mentioned trinitite and presented a map showing it was all over the northern hemisphere of Mars near the north polar layered deposits, I jumped on that and asked what his source was.  He responded by reiterating what trinitite is (and that it’s only found at nuclear blast sites), and I told him no, I wanted to know what detected it and how.  He stuttered and didn’t remember but said it’s in his abstract â€" it’s Horgan & Bell (2012), http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2012/03/23/G32755.1 (though his abstract says the year is 2014).  I should note that the abstract of this paper is inconsistent with what Brandenburg says it says (specifically he claims (but the paper says otherwise) that the glass is only found there on Mars (they say it’s likely widespread), the glass is solid hunks of glass (versus just glass mixed into the regolith like we see all over Earth in volcanoes), and that it’s acid-etched glass -> trinitite (they say it’s iron-bearing glass and silica-enriched leached rinds on glass)).

- (have recorded) In the above point, after he said that it’s in his abstract (the reference) he said that “they” think it’s volcanic glass, "perfectly reasonable.  But, it also looks like trinitite."  The problem here is that no one except him would think it's trinitite, it is FAR from a smoking gun, and the volcanic glass makes a s--t -load of sense because the entire northern plains of Mars is covered in volcanic material, and we see volcanic glass in almost all eruptions on Earth.  In other words, you don't need a crazy explanation to explain a mundane observation.

- (have pictures) His “poster” had THE Face on Mars, one of the claimed Pyramids on Mars, and another claimed face on Mars.  When I was eavesdropping on him talking with someone else, he was explaining blast site antipodes and then pointed to those photos and remarked, “And that’s to remind you of what’s there.”  Implications obvious, but he seemed unwilling to say out loud that he’s crazy.

- When a volunteer told him he needed to take down his poster or that they were going to be taking down everything that was left (which had been announced many times, since the poster session ended at 9, and it was 9:10 at this point, and it was announced that all posters left would be thrown out), he responded (have recorded), “What would you DO with it if you took it down?!”

PrairieGhost

Great show Steve! Keep them coming....

How's the home studio going?

Quote from: PrairieGhost on March 18, 2015, 03:52:22 AM

It is being relocated to Hawaii and it will be shared with Dave.

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on March 17, 2015, 10:51:44 PM
It's atmospheric. The visuals are insane. Like 2001:A Space Odyssey with a pinch of the Shining.

At the center is the empty promise of hippy drug culture. Through drug abuse you can expand your consciousness. Which you can. Right up to the point it bursts like a balloon.

That's an interesting take on it, and I'll probably watch it again with that in mind. And the visuals are indeed insane.

Quote from: PrairieGhost on March 18, 2015, 03:52:22 AM

Just had a(nother) processor delivered today, actually. Couldn't decide between my Orban 787A and a Symetrix 528E. Ended up going with a totally different one. The whole setup may be operational this weekend.

Quote from: nooryisawesome on March 18, 2015, 05:22:42 AM
It is being relocated to Hawaii and it will be shared with Dave.

Hawaii sounds nice. Dave, not so much.

bateman

Quote from: astroguy on March 17, 2015, 11:41:28 PM
Yeah, not a good idea.  Here are my notes.  I will likely blog about this.

- Keep in mind that poster session is 6PM-9PM, and most people set up the day before.

- Arrived at 7:55 and started very slowly to put up his many 8.5”x11” sheets.

- (have pictures) Finished putting up his sheets at 8:40.  VERY slowly.  (It should take someone a maximum of 5 minutes to do this.)

- (have pictures) Tucked his shirt into his pants that were falling down.

- Went to get a beer.

- A few people rubber-necked while he was getting his beer, reading the highlights, and left.

- He came back, and within a minute or two he approached the two people across from him (either both or just one was a woman) and remarked, almost exactly, “It must be tough facing [or "being opposite?”] all this for the whole night.”  [I really wish I had written it down then because this could be seen as really creepy, though he really was referring to the posters he just put up and not his "manhood."]

- When passers by would not engage him, he engaged people at surrounding posters, asking them about their work â€" reasonably fair.

- I tucked my name tag away so he wouldn’t know who I was because there was a non-zero chance he’d recognize my name.

- He engaged my friend to ask about her work.  While his back was to his work, I took lots of pictures while still pretending to read other posters.

- After he was done talking with her, I asked what he talked about and that was how I found out that he was asking about her work rather than trying to bring people over to his stuff.

- He had remarked about how odd some of the things she found were, but she rebuffed him and explained that, no, they were common and that her conclusion was that he had no idea what he was talking about with chemistry stuff that she was doing.  This wouldn't be worth noting (I have no idea what she's doing), except that he tried to Talk the Talk and failed miserably.

- She said he seemed drunk, but she wasn’t sure if that was just his personality.  I remarked that in the last interview I heard of him that he sounded drunk, that in every interview I hear of him he laughs every-so-often which gives the impression that he doesn’t take himself seriously, and that people on a forum I’m on remarked that over he course of his last interview, he seemed to sound progressively drunk.  Basically what we discussed on this thread about 6 weeks ago.

- When some other people were engaged, I came over to act interested but also to audio record it.  He made his case, the people seemed unconvinced.  At the end, the guy asked for a photo of his poster and he was happy to oblige and offered to be in it, too.

- (have recorded) When he mentioned trinitite and presented a map showing it was all over the northern hemisphere of Mars near the north polar layered deposits, I jumped on that and asked what his source was.  He responded by reiterating what trinitite is (and that it’s only found at nuclear blast sites), and I told him no, I wanted to know what detected it and how.  He stuttered and didn’t remember but said it’s in his abstract â€" it’s Horgan & Bell (2012), http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/early/2012/03/23/G32755.1 (though his abstract says the year is 2014).  I should note that the abstract of this paper is inconsistent with what Brandenburg says it says (specifically he claims (but the paper says otherwise) that the glass is only found there on Mars (they say it’s likely widespread), the glass is solid hunks of glass (versus just glass mixed into the regolith like we see all over Earth in volcanoes), and that it’s acid-etched glass -> trinitite (they say it’s iron-bearing glass and silica-enriched leached rinds on glass)).

- (have recorded) In the above point, after he said that it’s in his abstract (the reference) he said that “they” think it’s volcanic glass, "perfectly reasonable.  But, it also looks like trinitite."  The problem here is that no one except him would think it's trinitite, it is FAR from a smoking gun, and the volcanic glass makes a s--t -load of sense because the entire northern plains of Mars is covered in volcanic material, and we see volcanic glass in almost all eruptions on Earth.  In other words, you don't need a crazy explanation to explain a mundane observation.

- (have pictures) His “poster” had THE Face on Mars, one of the claimed Pyramids on Mars, and another claimed face on Mars.  When I was eavesdropping on him talking with someone else, he was explaining blast site antipodes and then pointed to those photos and remarked, “And that’s to remind you of what’s there.”  Implications obvious, but he seemed unwilling to say out loud that he’s crazy.

- When a volunteer told him he needed to take down his poster or that they were going to be taking down everything that was left (which had been announced many times, since the poster session ended at 9, and it was 9:10 at this point, and it was announced that all posters left would be thrown out), he responded (have recorded), “What would you DO with it if you took it down?!”

There seems to be a pattern emerging...

Hilarious write-up, thanks.

cweb

FINALLY finished listening to the Cheryl Costa ep. Yeah, I'm super behind on stuff.

I was pretty ignorant of UFOs in my own back yard (Western New York) until very recently. I vaguely remember hearing about a big UFO event in Sodus Bay (Central NY) in the 70s. I'll have to look up that story. Interesting how there have been several sightings stretched across the state.

Of course, those sightings could be related to a rumored base under Lake Ontario (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nv3LD87BoK0J:illuminationsociety.com/2012/09/01/lake-ontario-has-secret-underwater-military-base/+&cd=32&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us). (Personally, I think it's a fun story but a little too Jimmy Chuuch for me...)

On another point, Cheryl's work with witches sounds like it could be an interesting culture-themed hour. I'd be more interested in their experiences as witches, while just briefly glancing over their belief systems. Their story interests me more than ideology.

If you don't mind getting a little regional, I would suggest reaching out to one of our local (Buffalo/ East Aurora) paranormal researchers. His name is Mason Winfield. He's released several books on the local market about ghosts, crypto creatures, and UFO stuff-- ghosts being the main draw. Here's his website: http://www.masonwinfield.com/ Since Mason is a writer, his journal is pretty cool too.

Steve, I'm loving all your stuff.  Even the ones I'm not too "into."

One day a week, five days a week, one day a month(OH GOD, NO!) I'll be listening.

:)

jjsmooth

Quote from: astroguy on March 17, 2015, 11:41:28 PM
he was explaining blast site antipodes

Hi atroguy, did he present any evidence for the pile-up of radioactive debris that he claims can be found at the antipode of the blast site?

astroguy

Quote from: jjsmooth on March 19, 2015, 05:47:21 PM
Hi atroguy, did he present any evidence for the pile-up of radioactive debris that he claims can be found at the antipode of the blast site?
Not really.  His "poster" was utter crap with no references to others' work, despite reproducing their maps.  He pointed to elemental abundances of thorium and potassium, and he had arrows pointing to relative increases in abundance that he labeled as "antipode," but they aren't actually antipodes.  PLUS, you have to factor in time-of-flight, Mars' rotation, and Coriolis if you're going to try to argue that stuff from X came from Y and it's at the "antipode."

Gemstone

Just listened to your recent show and it was excellent.  Your guest was interesting and I too, would love to hear more about that whole witch thing.  I swear Steve, each show is great! 

popple

Please bless us with a new Dark City show soon *beg beg beg*

....and please have Cheryl Costa back to talk about witchy things  :)

bateman

New one coming late tomorrow night. Bill (not just UFOs) Birnes will be on to talk about Robert Durst & serial killer psychology.

bateman

Quote from: astroguy on March 19, 2015, 09:31:10 PM
Not really.  His "poster" was utter crap with no references to others' work, despite reproducing their maps.  He pointed to elemental abundances of thorium and potassium, and he had arrows pointing to relative increases in abundance that he labeled as "antipode," but they aren't actually antipodes.  PLUS, you have to factor in time-of-flight, Mars' rotation, and Coriolis if you're going to try to argue that stuff from X came from Y and it's at the "antipode."

I would've loved to have seen this whole spectacle.  ;D

astroguy

Quote from: bateman on March 22, 2015, 12:12:21 AM
I would've loved to have seen this whole spectacle.  ;D
Well, I did take pictures, but there's no video.

WildCard

Quote from: bateman on March 22, 2015, 12:11:36 AM
New one coming late tomorrow night. Bill (not just UFOs) Birnes will be on to talk about Robert Durst & serial killer psychology.

Can't hardly wait. This is gonna be good.

cweb

Excellent! It's maintenance week at work and I've burned through all my unlistened Unexplained eps. Was gonna put on a Dark City "clashic" but a new Bill Birnes is something to look forward to!

popple

Looking forward to what ever he has to say about Durst. God, The Jinx was insane.

bateman

Some dippy lady from a west coast station was recording in the studio I usually use last night so I had to reschedule with Bill for next week. Had a nice 2 hour conversation anyway.

(Home) studio update: power conditioner and equipment rack are on the way, so I think all I need to finish this off are some cables I can pick up at B&H this week. This project has taken an inordinately long time, I know.

basswood

Quote from: bateman on March 23, 2015, 05:22:00 PM
...all I need to finish this off are some cables I can pick up at B&H this week. This project has taken an inordinately long time, I know.

Not Radio Shack?

wr250

Quote from: bateman on March 23, 2015, 05:22:00 PM
Some dippy lady from a west coast station was recording in the studio I usually use last night so I had to reschedule with Bill for next week. Had a nice 2 hour conversation anyway.

(Home) studio update: power conditioner and equipment rack are on the way, so I think all I need to finish this off are some cables I can pick up at B&H this week. This project has taken an inordinately long time, I know.
lee cigar or connie "the stoner" willis?

bateman

Quote from: basswood on March 23, 2015, 06:23:53 PM
Not Radio Shack?
Heh. Those assholes are now auctioning off customer data. One final insult.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/03/despite-privacy-policy-radioshack-customer-data-up-for-sale-in-auction/

Quote from: wr250 on March 23, 2015, 06:26:53 PM
lee cigar or connie "the stoner" willis?
Different person, may belong to their coven though.

bateman

Also:

1. My power conditioner came today.  :D

2. Spent last night going over my bumper music & made sure every single track is at least 256kbps. Most are 320. Should sound amazing in headphones or good speakers.

3. For some reason, the publisher sent me 3 copies of this stupid book. If anyone wants one, feel free to PM your address.

cweb

Quote from: bateman on March 25, 2015, 07:16:56 PM
Also:

1. My power conditioner came today.  :D
Saw it in an earlier post. Nice choice. It'll go great with your rack... Erm... In all seriousness, this is the model we spec for the $30k-75k classroom installs. Haven't had an issue with any of the 30-some.

2. Spent last night going over my bumper music & made sure every single track is at least 256kbps. Most are 320. Should sound amazing in headphones or good speakers.
Indeed. 192 is usually transparent for a lot of people, including me. Still, if you're going from mp3 to mp3 the extra data helps.

3. For some reason, the publisher sent me 3 copies of this stupid book. If anyone wants one, feel free to PM your address.
Still got this as an e-book. Been meaning to dig into it, maybe. From what I've heard she passes off Roswell as stolen Russian UFOs and the aliens as Nazi experiments on children. She was on a certain show about fading a while back, but I switched it off after the dude-host got all Nooryish.

astroguy

Quote from: cweb on March 25, 2015, 07:37:32 PM
She was on a certain show about fading a while back, but I switched it off after the dude-host got all Nooryish.
Would that be fading to a dark shade?  Episode 50 and 185.

cweb

Quote from: astroguy on March 25, 2015, 07:52:00 PM
Would that be fading to a dark shade?  Episode 50 and 185.
Indeed, it was #50. I gave up long before 185.

bateman

Quote from: cweb on March 25, 2015, 07:37:32 PM
Saw it in an earlier post. Nice choice. It'll go great with your rack... Erm... In all seriousness, this is the model we spec for the $30k-75k classroom installs. Haven't had an issue with any of the 30-some.

Indeed. 192 is usually transparent for a lot of people, including me. Still, if you're going from mp3 to mp3 the extra data helps.

Still got this as an e-book. Been meaning to dig into it, maybe. From what I've heard she passes off Roswell as stolen Russian UFOs and the aliens as Nazi experiments on children. She was on a certain show about fading a while back, but I switched it off after the dude-host got all Nooryish.
Overkill is the only way I like to do things.  8)

And yes, that's her brilliant conclusion based on the testimony of one shady EG&G contractor. Great work there, Annie.

2 copies left.

popple

You mean you aren't gonna make us call in and sing for them?

b_dubb

Too bad they didn't try to market that book as fiction. Would've been plausible .