• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The GabCast (A podcast about BellGab)

Started by onan, October 22, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

area51drone

I feel like one of those shoppers early in the morning, tapping on the department store windows saying "open, open, open" waiting for the gabcast to be posted.   MV I hope you feel better if you're truly sick, but post the sucker, will you?  ;D

Aw, sorry to hear MV is down with the Man Flu. After discussion with Yorkshire Pud, I can see the only remedy is to get Chuck Norris to kick that flu's ass because he's Chuck Norris and he can. Feel better MV <- I said that in the deepest, manliest voice my squeaky voicebox could attain. And you, too, Onan. I hope you're much, much better for the holidays. The Festivus Pole is just no fun without you.

I enjoyed hanging out with you guys last night, lots of laughs. It was fun hearing the voice that goes along with Steelbot, Yorkshire Pud and Treading Water, and b-dubb. Great call ins, folks. TW, that was a harrowing story about aliens and your toe. You need toemeric and the only place you can get it is from Jorch. Act now! Yorkshire Pud, loved listening to you talk. Loves me a Northern accent everytime although there's a lot to say for the Scots, too.  ;)

Aldous, you are one brilliant hippie. That poem was amazing, outstanding and the perfect Christmas gift to Bellgab. (or Kwanzaa, Festivus, Yuletide, Hanukka, Diwali or anything else you can come up with). Anyway thank you for making me bust a gut laughing.

Meh, the chatroom was invaded by an attention whore but everyone did a fine job ignoring the pest and he eventually went away. It's not elitism. It's just not all about you, dude, and never was.

jazmunda

Aldous has given me permission to post the transcript of his beautiful Christmas message to BellGab. Once MV posts the audio please listen because the words are just words and it is best read with the accompaniment of the dulcet tones of aldous' voice.

Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the forum
Not much to say
No jingle bell
Random stupid thoughts
Now random fucking boring
Falkie had fed the kitties
With his own thread to share
Art Bell quit Dark Matter
Which died of dead air
Sardoni off the map, sleepless and Chine also quiet
But George’s secret door show is always a fucking riot
But as I loaded my vape pen with care
My hair suddenly sensed a certain magic in the air
What the hell is your fucking problem I thought I heard someone yell through the door
I saw nothing through the window so I inhaled, then I heard some more
A voice with an accent like some kind of fuckin Boston rumble, gruff, with a clear Kafkaesque fucking  grumble
So it doesn’t feel like Christmas and your life is a chore
No more Dark Matter
My God you’re such a fucking bore
When will Art return should I listen to Coast instead?
Well here’s a better idea go read the politics thread
Who’s gay, who’s straight interests me not
Tell us something we want to know bitch; which is of course are you hot?
George Knapp winding down
The Coast franchise in stitches
My favorite posts now done by troll sucking bitches
And so I remain
I shall work out of sight
You’re all so god damn pitiful
Fuck you
Goodnight
And as I sniffed the air
it smelled likel old books and beer
A certain mix of madness, intensity, good cheer, a touch of spice, street wisdom mixed with possibly cocaine
These things have an odour of an easy laughter combined with hard pain
And I thought long and hard while letting out my exhale
I suddenly knew the rest of this tale
Though we may not see him and he never writes and no one can replace him which really really bites
The spirit of Eddie Coyle lives on in my head
Like when I count my blessings starting with I’m not in jail, I’m not dead
Beyond this you see there’s not too many degrees mostly don’t burn the forest to see through the fucking trees
No matter how harsh, unhappy, uptight
Everyday is a  chance to make it all right
And when this day is over put this in your sight
There’s also one chance to have a good night
So with this simple truth I’m bringing you fucking weirdos to share
But I forgot what we were talking about so now I don’t care but if I did I would only say this much
Happy Christmas, Boxer Day, Equinox, Kwanza and all that fucking stuff

Yorkshire pud

Kids been up a few hours then Jaz? Merry Christmas mate.

jazmunda

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 24, 2013, 03:02:12 PM
Kids been up a few hours then Jaz? Merry Christmas mate.

Thanks mate. You too. Kids were up at the crack of dawn which is the same as every day in this household. Today was a little noisier and I shouldn't have had that last glass of vino before bed. Bah humbug.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: jazmunda on December 24, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Thanks mate. You too. Kids were up at the crack of dawn which is the same as every day in this household. Today was a little noisier and I shouldn't have had that last glass of vino before bed. Bah humbug.

Nearly 9.30 pm here, had several glasses of merlot....cooking a roast leg of lamb tomorrow

maureen

lots of laughs..a great Gabcast!! ... and I love the intro music...wicked hammond!!!...who is it?

Happy hols, all!!

eddie dean

Quote from: maureen on December 25, 2013, 12:37:22 PM
lots of laughs..a great Gabcast!! ... and I love the intro music...wicked hammond!!!...who is it?

Happy hols, all!!

Thanks!
The intro was created by b_dubb

maureen

Quote from: eddie dean on December 25, 2013, 12:46:52 PM
Thanks!
The intro was created by b_dubb
Excellent. b_dubb!!! Thanks for keeping the hammond alive!! Cheers  ;D

BobGrau

Heh. I must have been out of the room when I was accused of being an expert on meteors.

jazmunda

Quote from: MV on December 25, 2013, 11:08:57 AM
latest episode now posted here.

Thanks MV. Hope you are feeling better. Merry Xmas.

My Christmas present to aldous:

Tarbaby

Two of my favorite things: merlot & lamb! Sounds great! My signature on another board far far away is "waiting for merlot"

Just listened to the Dec 23rd GabCast. Enjoyed it! Eddit is coming alive! (Eddie, I watched an old western from the 40's called STARS OVER TEXAS, starring Eddie Dean. Any connection to you? Distant relative? Source for your alias? None at all?

Steelbot: I thought you left too quickly. :(

Yorkshire Pud: Good to hear you. Not what I had imagined you'd sound like. You sound great.

b_dubb: I've been meaning to tell you for the last 3 GabCasts now, great music! I used to have my own little studio and your stuff sounds strong, professional.

jazmunda

If I'm not mistaken Eddie Dean is from Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. One of my favorite book
series and a great character too.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 25, 2013, 04:03:18 PM
Two of my favorite things: merlot & lamb! Sounds great! My signature on another board far far away is "waiting for merlot"

It was bloody delicious... before putting in the oven it had holes pricked in it and strips of garlic, rosemary and thyme inserted..and then covered in olive oil and roasted.. With roast potatoes, mash an veg AND Yorkshire puddings! Washed down with a robust red.

Shipping to Canada is more expensive. You can ship a book within the US via media mail for about $2.50. To Canada it costs around $6.00 or more.

Thanks for the Christmas poem Adlous, it was lots of fun and summed up the last year here.

aldousburbank

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on December 25, 2013, 05:06:19 PM
Thanks for the Christmas poem Adlous, it was lots of fun and summed up the last year here.
You're welcome. Was in a mood, channeled Eddie C in my horrible handwriting. Kinda winged it a bit too cuz it's hard to read. Listened today and thought I sounded drunk. Thanks to Eddie, Jaz, and Onan for enabling my bad behavior and sounding drunk also.

BobGrau

Quote from: aldousburbank on December 25, 2013, 05:16:39 PM
You're welcome. Was in a mood, channeled Eddie C in my horrible handwriting. Kinda winged it a bit too cuz it's hard to read. Listened today and thought I sounded drunk. Thanks to Eddie, Jaz, and Onan for enabling my bad behavior and sounding drunk also.

Bearing in mind that all american accents sound similar to me, you sounded a bit like Hoagland. This is also why I call Bateman "lil punnett"

eddie dean

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 25, 2013, 04:03:18 PM

Just listened to the Dec 23rd GabCast. Enjoyed it! Eddit is coming alive! (Eddie, I watched an old western from the 40's called STARS OVER TEXAS, starring Eddie Dean. Any connection to you? Distant relative? Source for your alias? None at all?

No connection with the actor.
As jaz pointed out, Eddie Dean is the name of a character from the Dark Tower book series by Steven King.  I have little commonality with the conflicted and complex character King  created. I loved his New York attitude, use of grade school humor in difficult situations and triumph over his numerous struggles. I highly recommend the series. It is a long read, (8 books) but if you have a few months to spare, give it a go.

Spinner

Just finished listening to the GabCast.
Thanks for the laughs guys! A fun end to a nice Christmas day.
Loved Aldous' Christmas poem and the Maryann moment. :D

And congrats to Agent:Orange - *that* was a weird and hilarious quote. lol

area51drone

I just finished too.  It was a Festivus miracle, complete with the airing of grievances, and feats of strength.   Amazing, because I don't even think you guys realized you were celebrating, but if you could have seen him, I think Aldous was dancing around a pole.    Thanks for the memories. 

Tarbaby

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 25, 2013, 04:17:20 PM
It was bloody delicious... before putting in the oven it had holes pricked in it and strips of garlic, rosemary and thyme inserted..and then covered in olive oil and roasted.. With roast potatoes, mash an veg AND Yorkshire puddings! Washed down with a robust red.
Sounds Excellent! I'm just in the process of doing the same with a pork roast. Carrots, potatoes, onion & garlic. Sometimes I add jalapeños. But you've got some great tips/touches. Think I will add olive oil this time.  Yeah, you can actually poke holes in the roast and jam garlic cloves into them!
   I've also been craving (and having) some dumplings lately. Is yorkshire pudding along the lines of dumplings? In that it's four based mixture that goes along with meats? Can you PM me your yorjshire pudding recipe? I see eager novice cooks on the 'net are looking for a tried-n-true yorkshire pudding recipe. And now I am! It's not liek bread pudding, right?
   Sorry, everyone, for my digression.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 26, 2013, 07:26:40 AM
Sounds Excellent! I'm just in the process of doing the same with a pork roast. Carrots, potatoes, onion & garlic. Sometimes I add jalapeños. But you've got some great tips/touches. Think I will add olive oil this time.  Yeah, you can actually poke holes in the roast and jam garlic cloves into them!
   I've also been craving (and having) some dumplings lately. Is yorkshire pudding along the lines of dumplings? In that it's four based mixture that goes along with meats? Can you PM me your yorjshire pudding recipe? I see eager novice cooks on the 'net are looking for a tried-n-true yorkshire pudding recipe. And now I am! It's not liek bread pudding, right?
   Sorry, everyone, for my digression.

Yorkshire puddings are a very simple batter mix. Dumplings are suet.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1581636/james-martins-yorkshire-puds (LOTS of different recipes claim to be the 'perfect' way, but the trick is to make sure your fat is VERY hot and don't open the oven before they've risen or they'll fall flat)

James Martin is a Yorkshireman, from Malton (Near York).

James Martin cooks Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding for Aled Jones 24th Mar 2012

Tarbaby

Quote from: eddie dean on December 26, 2013, 12:20:44 AM
…I highly recommend the (Dark Tower) series. It is a long read, (8 books) but if you have a few months to spare, give it a go.
Yes, I started reading it once years ago. Liked it but got distracted and put it down. But I hear many love it. Now, however, I'd only be able to access it in audible form. I think I'll do it if I run across it. Tks.

BobGrau

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 26, 2013, 07:35:10 AM
Yes, I started reading it once years ago. Liked it but got distracted and put it down. But I hear many love it. Now, however, I'd only be able to access it in audible form. I think I'll do it if I run across it. Tks.

Any excuse for a bit of self-promotion, here's a little snippet to get you started:

B.Grau - 9 susannah's first recital

Tarbaby

YP: Thanks! Great info! Now I'm craving yorkshire pudding.

Aldous: Your Xmas GabCast epic ode was a  tour de force. Librally infused with the "F" bombs. Quintessentially BellCastian.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 26, 2013, 07:51:46 AM
YP: Thanks! Great info! Now I'm craving yorkshire pudding.

Aldous: Your Xmas GabCast epic ode was a  tour de force. Librally infused with the "F" bombs. Quintessentially BellCastian.

Hope they go well. I've made a lemon sauce (LOTS online) before with pork, and it should also go well with the garlic. Let us know what you did and how it went.  :)

Tarbaby

BobGrau: That was cool! What WAS it? The voice sounded very familiar, like I should know it. The music - bold, avant garde. The background effects - nice touch. I'd like the voice a bit louder. But is that your production?

Yorkshire Pud: Great link! Really enjoyed it. Now mind you, I'm vision impaired so couldn't see it but I got a LOT out of his on-the-fly descriptions and the sounds. Sizzling skillet. Oh! 8 eggs!? That startled me. Must be like a crepe, a moist fluffy crepe? he said he didn't want it to get dry.

RE: Garlic, yes, IMO garlic goes with everything*. But real garlic, not the sprinkle-on. Unless it's all you have.

BobGrau

Quote from: Tarbaby on December 26, 2013, 03:01:23 PM
BobGrau: That was cool! What WAS it? The voice sounded very familiar, like I should know it. The music - bold, avant garde. The background effects - nice touch. I'd like the voice a bit louder. But is that your production?

That is a clip from an early chapter of The Dark Tower, I forget which one. The narrator is the much-missed Frank Muller and yes, he had an awesome reading voice.