• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The GabCast (A podcast about BellGab)

Started by onan, October 22, 2013, 06:30:19 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: ItsOver on October 20, 2020, 10:15:33 AM
Was that the DrunkGab, when Lee was hammering tequila and Pate was staggering in and out?  I think he may have even done a beer run, when Lee took the leash of him and let him roam free.  :D

Probably. I suppose we can Blame the Wine.

AZZERAE

Quote from: pate on October 20, 2020, 09:37:53 AM
That was my attitude about the couple times I co-hosted, nobody else seemed to have the balls but sure did bitch a lot.

Well. What else are they gonna do? Art did dub us vaguely loveable for a reason.

I plan eventually to buy a cheap webcam & green-screen to go with my $5 USB-microphone and get in on the fun again.

Don'tcha have a laptop with a built-in camera? Or even a cellphone? Groyper does his stuff on a budget, I skeem. And it looks good enough.

Don't worry about the haters, they are the ”nobodies” that listen to the GabCast, hah!

Hey, don't be fooled. I'm a nobody too!

https://youtu.be/qi5nTb-NRFU

K_Dubb

Quote from: ItsOver on October 20, 2020, 10:23:58 AM
I happened to pass through Corsicana over the weekend and noticed The Lone Star state’s claim to fruitcake was still in business.

https://www.southernliving.com/travel/texas/collin-street-bakery-corsicana-tx

I will confess to having never checked it out. I’d rather stick with BBQ.

Oh yes!  Last year, for the first time in what must be at least ten years, I saw the old-fashioned whole, round-with-a-hole-in-the-middle cakes from them at my local Safeway, but in boxes rather than the traditional tins.  When I was a kid you used to be able to get them at the drug stores for some reason but now, if you see them at all, they are in tiny loaves.  I believe fruitcake is undergoing a resurgence!

Hog

Quote from: AZZERAE on October 20, 2020, 11:02:00 AM
Ha! Talk about a backhanded compliment. I was hard on Pate myself at one time. I wouldn't say it's easy to keep the conversation flowing and speak at the right times. But if you have natural chemistry with the host, its really fun. I think Lee and I have that.
I remember when another Gabcast hosts "thought" they had chemistry with MV.  It was the guy with the chest that could explode at any moment. PKaiser was his name. Check out his last posts.

peace
Hog

Tootsie

I once again nominate the Sweetheart of Bellgab..  :-* :-*
ASUKA ENCHILLADA LANGLEY AS COHOST

:)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Tootsie on October 20, 2020, 11:27:30 AM
I once again nominate the sweetheart of Bellgab..  :-* :-*
ASUKA ENCHILLADA LANGLEY AS COHOST

:)

Tootsie, we already know that you have a great radio voice. You should co-host. :)

Tootsie

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 20, 2020, 11:29:44 AM
Tootsie, we already know that you have a great radio voice. You should co-host. :)'s

LOL  yeah sure.. i'll triple host with you maybe..  ;)
me and the doc

AZZERAE

Quote from: Hog on October 20, 2020, 11:22:17 AM
I remember when another Gabcast hosts "thought" they had chemistry with MV. It was the guy with the chest that could explode at any moment. PKaiser was his name. Check out his last posts.

Oh my God. You're fuckin' right!

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 20, 2020, 10:57:51 AM
Isn't being an actual fruitcake enough for you?

It is not.  As if it wasn't clear enough I shall state that aggressively promoting the Fruitcake Agenda is the whole of my aim here.  We must make it safe for lovers of fruitcake to stroll about with a piece in hand without the dark looks and sniggers that could so quickly lead to hatred and violence.

You do not fool me one bit, you nasty little man.  Fifty years ago, when Johnny Carson first joked about how bad fruitcakes were, you probably roared in agreement and would have  been all on board with banning them and criminalizing their enjoyment.  Now, though you have been forced, grudgingly, to treat them as inevitable (as though the simple pleasure of a cake needs an endorsement of any kind) you secretly resent it and would presume to sit on your fat ass and opine on what makes an acceptable fruitcake-lover.  Fuck That Shit.  I will savor my fruitcake boldly in front of you and, if you dare say a word in opposition, I will shove a giant piece down your throat until you choke on it.

It is not that I wish to convert people who don't like fruitcake -- it is an adult flavor, after all, old and rich and dark and spicy and boozy and not attuned to the bubble-gum saccharine soft-drink funfetti palates of today -- but I would have everyone at least understand its appeal, much as they would any other rarefied pursuit like log-rolling or pole-vaulting, acknowledging that, while they themselves might not be log-rollers or pole-vaulters, there is something in the endeavor that is noble, skilled, and worthwhile.  Only then will fruitcake assume its proper role as the prince of cakes, bathing even lesser dainties in the old, warm, golden glow of its ambrosian delectability and ancient history.

Lilith

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 20, 2020, 11:45:45 AM
It is not.  As if it wasn't clear enough I shall state that aggressively promoting the Fruitcake Agenda is the whole of my aim here.  We must make it safe for lovers of fruitcake to stroll about with a piece in hand without the dark looks and sniggers that could so quickly lead to hatred and violence.

You do not fool me one bit, you nasty little man.  Fifty years ago, when Johnny Carson first joked about how bad fruitcakes were, you probably roared in agreement and would have  been all on board with banning them and criminalizing their enjoyment.  Now, though you have been forced, grudgingly, to treat them as inevitable (as though the simple pleasure of a cake needs an endorsement of any kind) you secretly resent it and would presume to sit on your fat ass and opine on what makes an acceptable fruitcake-lover.  Fuck That Shit.  I will savor my fruitcake boldly in front of you and, if you dare say a word in opposition, I will shove a giant piece down your throat until you choke on it.

It is not that I wish to convert people who don't like fruitcake -- it is an adult flavor, after all, old and rich and dark and spicy and boozy and not attuned to the bubble-gum saccharine soft-drink funfetti palates of today -- but I would have everyone at least understand its appeal, much as they would any other rarefied pursuit like log-rolling or pole-vaulting, acknowledging that, while they themselves might not be log-rollers or pole-vaulters, there is something in the endeavor that is noble, skilled, and worthwhile.  Only then will fruitcake assume its proper role as the prince of cakes, bathing even lesser dainties in the old, warm, golden glow of its ambrosian delectability and ancient history.

Do you prefer them with, or without marzipan?

AZZERAE

Quote from: AZZERAE on October 20, 2020, 11:39:20 AM

I take back the chemistry thing and I'm legitimately embarrassed. I won't pretend the whole thing hasn't been a blast so far, though.

As the Frog King has advised me before, 'don't get ahead of ya skis'.

AZZERAE

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 20, 2020, 10:17:40 AM
You are a great cohost, bunny.  You are current on what is happening on bellgab, laugh adorably at all the right times, introduce germane content of your own, and are actually curious, asking questions in what would otherwise be a flood of opinion...

Thanks, buddy. I know fuck-all about cake, which is why I edited it out of your original post.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Lilith on October 20, 2020, 11:49:17 AM
Do you prefer them with, or without marzipan?

If it is an old-world dark fruitcake, mostly raisins and currants and bitter chopped peels and without nuts, and cooked low and slow for hours perhaps in steam or a bath until the whole thing turns black, I think marzipan's otherwise-cloying sweetness is a necessary (and traditional) counterweight, only slightly less sweet than the thick layer of royal icing most really old recipes call for.

If it is an American-style fruitcake, large pieces of pineapple and whole cherries with nuts and a good measure of syrup of some kind in the batter, a layer of whole pecans or walnuts on top is fine as the cake itself is plenty sweet and, if you glaze them, they get wonderfully toasty and crunchy in the oven.

K_Dubb

Quote from: AZZERAE on October 20, 2020, 11:53:30 AM
Thanks, buddy. I know fuck-all about cake, which is why I edited it out of your original post.

Hahaha I am just bullshitting with the cake; don't worry about a thing.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 20, 2020, 11:45:45 AM

I think your claim that Russians don't have a fruitcake is utter balls. You were probably fed this libel by some bitter Pole you were sweet on and broadcast it ever since.

AZZERAE

What do you think of this guy?

SredniVashtar

Quote from: Hog on October 20, 2020, 11:22:17 AM
I remember when another Gabcast hosts "thought" they had chemistry with MV.  It was the guy with the chest that could explode at any moment. PKaiser was his name. Check out his last posts.

peace
Hog

His 'talk to the hand' dismissal probably finished the poor old guy off. They don't call him Liberace for nothing. When you've seen him without his wig you think you two are tight. The next thing you know, you've gone off to your mother's funeral and he's buggering some blonde waif behind your back.

K_Dubb

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 20, 2020, 12:10:00 PM
I think your claim that Russians don't have a fruitcake is utter balls. You were probably fed this libel by some bitter Pole you were sweet on and broadcast it ever since.

They very well may have had one before but it did not survive the revolution.  The closest I have seen is the stolichniy cake which is a plain unspiced raisin pound cake whose austerity and lack of ambition might just serve as a metaphor for Communism itself.  Still, I would not turn it down.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: AZZERAE on October 20, 2020, 12:13:35 PM
What do you think of this guy?

You only ever get asked these sorts of questions on BellGab.

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 20, 2020, 12:15:34 PM
His 'talk to the hand' dismissal probably finished the poor old guy off. They don't call him Liberace for nothing. When you've seen him without his wig you think you two are tight. The next thing you know, you've gone off to your mother's funeral and he's buggering some blonde waif behind your back.

For whatever it's worth, that P. Kizer guy seemed a tad self important, and full of himself...

AZZERAE

Quote from: SredniVashtar on October 20, 2020, 12:17:54 PM
You only ever get asked these sorts of questions on BellGab.

I'm just curious.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 20, 2020, 12:16:47 PM
They very well may have had one before but it did not survive the revolution.  The closest I have seen is the stolichniy cake which is a plain unspiced raisin pound cake whose austerity and lack of ambition might just serve as a metaphor for Communism itself.  Still, I would not turn it down.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: K_Dubb on October 20, 2020, 12:16:47 PM

It's not the source of the Nile, you soppy tart! Just Google 'Russian fruit cake' like what I did.

http://www.ruscuisine.com/recipes/desserts/n--474/

SredniVashtar

Quote from: AZZERAE on October 20, 2020, 12:18:39 PM
I'm just curious.

Well, it was (like K_Dubb at a bachelor party) a trifle open-ended. I'm not sure what to say unless you're a bit more specific.

Corona Kitty

I'm not sure who's worse Pate or Azzerae.

Jackstar

The obvious choice of individual to fulfill our desperate, crying, mewling need for yet another figurehead to feed fuel to the narrative of our cult of personality would be... the incomparable ShayP.

Offer him a box of donuts or something. Somebody, make it happen. Can we arrange to just have a bag thrown over his head and haul him off to a studio location? He might actually prefer this. As a bonus, we can leave the bag on his head for the camera.

Quote from: AZZERAE on October 20, 2020, 12:18:10 PM
For whatever it's worth, that P. Kizer guy seemed a tad self important, and full of himself...

(CENSORED).