• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Astrophysics and Cosmology - Discuss the Universe here

Started by Agent : Orange, October 16, 2013, 09:02:47 PM

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on November 11, 2014, 03:58:24 PM
Somebody should call RCH, because there appear to be some sort of mysterious artificial structures in that little valley.

I think it might be an IHOP.

Rosetta lander to separate in 1 hour 40 minutes, broadcast live on the ESA site.

http://rosetta.esa.int/

They even have their own Albert Einstein on the panel.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=1]

The Rosetta mission project scientist.

Curiosity hair guy, eat your heart out.

I'm digging today's google banner. The probe looks like a virus ready to attach.

wr250

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on November 12, 2014, 12:54:32 PM
I'm digging today's google banner. The probe looks like a virus ready to attach.

a virus from romania (thanks vlad)

aldousburbank

About the Rosetta thing on that rock ice chunk world:
Could somebody smart 'splain this?

"...to get a signal to the lander takes 28 minutes; a return signal takes nearly an hour."
???

pate

Not claiming to be smart.  Just taking a WAG at it (Wild Ass Guess):

Maybe it has to do with signal strength and perhaps noise?  The signal we blast at the thing is really strong and they can pump gigawatts into it and blast it out there:  easy for the thing to receive without errors.  The thing out there however is probably limited in its power resources and cannot afford to send a huge signal back, so data loss and multiple transmissions to get the same message back to us?  Like trying to hear a guy talking to you on the moon and he only has like a walkie-talkie or Mr. Microphone or something...

That's my guess.

Non sequitor:

Saw this as a banner ad while posting this here message, I might have to buy me some moar Legos...

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 12, 2014, 01:17:35 PM
About the Rosetta thing on that rock ice chunk world:

"...to get a signal to the lander takes 28 minutes; a return signal takes nearly an hour."
???

They mean to send a signal from the Earth takes 28 minutes and to receive a confirmation from the lander takes another 28 minutes -- so total of 56 minutes.

zeebo

Quote from: aldousburbank on November 12, 2014, 01:17:35 PM

They added an experimental Noory Module to the on-board computer.  It takes awhile to get an intelligible return message out of it.

zeebo

We must never let this thread fall off the first page.  This is the cosmos people - doesn't get any more important than that!

So, to bump it up, here's a pic of one of my fave easy telescope targets: the double star Albireo, easily found as the bottom star in the constellation Cygnus, the Swan.  One star yellow, one blue.  (Much sexier btw than that other, boring monochromatic binary Mizar/Alcor in the Big Dipper.)

Quote from: zeebo on November 17, 2014, 02:09:31 AM
We must never let this thread fall off the first page.  This is the cosmos people - doesn't get any more important than that!

So, to bump it up, here's a pic of one of my fave easy telescope targets: the double star Albireo, easily found as the bottom star in the constellation Cygnus, the Swan.  One star yellow, one blue.  (Much sexier btw than that other, boring monochromatic binary Mizar/Alcor in the Big Dipper.)

Nice.  That contrast between stars really brings out the colours.

Woke up and found this, thought it was interesting
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1438/

Hope you are all doing well and sorry I'm taking so long posting some stuff for you A51D! Hope to be back in a normal rhythm in a few weeks.

Hope all are well.

And that comet landing was a blast, wasn't it?!

area51drone

Hope all is well with you too AO.  That article was interesting, but I'm curious - was that what was expected by the models?

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 19, 2014, 07:24:54 AM
Woke up and found this, thought it was interesting
http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1438/

This science story is featured on the C2C site too.  It makes you wonder if they do get their news here.

eddie dean

I love stories like this one!
'Happy Accidents' indeed!
Bob Ross approves ;)
[attachimg=1]

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/24/world/philae-lander-revival/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Philae: The bouncing baby space probe that gave itself another chance

The little spacecraft Philae that has captured the imagination of thousands with endearing tweets to the comet-chasing mother ship Rosetta stopped transmitting when its batteries drained.

"@ESA_Rosetta I'm feeling a bit tired did you get all my data? I might take a nap ..." The forlorn message was picked up by followers of @Philae2014 shortly before it fell silent.

The Rosetta orbiter mission will continue to track Comet 67P on its journey around the sun in the coming months but after the final transmission from Philae, the lander mission appeared to be over.

But is it?

Scientists from the European Space Agency (ESA), which is leading a consortium that includes NASA to find out more about the composition of comets and how they interact with the sun, say there's still a good chance that Philae will revive.

A touchdown 10 years in the making Rosetta scientist inspires next generation Sheer breath-taking human ingenuity
And the malfunction that caused the probe to bounce in the very weak gravity might actually turn out to be a blessing.
"It's good luck through bad luck," said lander system engineer Laurence O'Rourke.

"Yep, we're stuck against a wall. But when you look at the original location of where we were supposed to land -- it's a beautifully flat area -- we would never have seen the images and the structures of the comet wall unless we landed where we did. We'd have been in a dust field,".

"We've had a number of happy accidents. It's bad luck that we bounced but the good luck is that all the instruments were on ... so what you have is a major scientific benefit -- results from two different locations when we were only expecting one."

Lander problems started when a thruster and harpoons designed to anchor the small probe to the comet failed. Philae bounced away from the original target touchdown area and appears to have settled under the face of a cliff. Project scientists are still not exactly sure where, even though the lander performed its experiments and sent back data.

b_dubb

I was not amused by the NASA rep who basically turned the ESA achievement into an opportunity to say the Earth is doomed and we need to find a new planet to ruin.  Fuck. Him.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on November 24, 2014, 05:59:50 PM
I was not amused by the NASA rep who basically turned the ESA achievement into an opportunity to say the Earth is doomed and we need to find a new planet to ruin.  Fuck. Him.

Well we're gonna start small, first ruin a few comets, then build up from there. 

ks3484

~NASA~

Latest News on Orion Flight Test

► ►Send your name to NASA to be included on future journeys◄◄

1,379,959  BOARDING PASSES SUBMITTED/ISSUED -as of- 10/31/2014

Orion: Trial By Fire

Watch the launch live on 12/4/2014 @ 7am ET on: • USTREAM - NASA Public HDTV

• ISS Space Monkey's blogspot_____________________________________________

Link====>*** Download the Absolutely Free Home Planet Release 3.3a Program - from  Fourmilab***

Link====> Orbital Elements: Home Planet (J. Walker)

~NASA~

ks3484

~NASA~
Latest News on Orion Flight Test

Space Launch Complex 37B at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, in Cape Canaveral, Fla.

Time zone in Cape Canaveral, Florida, U.S.A.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
► ►Send your name to NASA to be included on future journeys◄◄♦
1,379,959  BOARDING PASSES SUBMITTED/ISSUED -as of- 10/31/2014

Orion: Trial By

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Watch the launch live on 12/4/2014 @ 7am ET on:

• USTREAM - NASA Public HDTV
• ISS Space Monkey'slogspot

_______________________________________________[/size]________________________________________________

Link====>*** Download the Absolutely Free Home Planet Release 3.3a Program - from  Fourmilab***

Link====> Orbital Elements: Home Planet (J. Walker)

[/size]~NASA~[/size][/size]

zeebo

This Saturday Dec. 6,  New Horizons spacecraft wakes up from hibernation.  After almost 9 years in flight it will start gearing up for it's closest approach with Pluto & Charon on July 14, 2015.

area51drone

Quote from: zeebo on December 04, 2014, 03:06:26 AM
This Saturday Dec. 6,  New Horizons spacecraft wakes up from hibernation.  After almost 9 years in flight it will start gearing up for it's closest approach with Pluto & Charon on July 14, 2015.

This is absolutely going to be an amazing thing to watch. 

ks3484

~NASA~

Orion Post-Scrub News Conference

NASA's - YouTube Page